freestyle coke machines yet?

morganboys

I would be shocked if they switch to these machines. A friend of mine manages a restaurant that uses the freestyle units and he says they're a nightmare when it comes to maintenance.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I would be shocked if they switch to these machines. A friend of mine manages a restaurant that uses the freestyle units and he says they're a nightmare when it comes to maintenance.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

RCCL uses these machines on some of their ships, and there are pretty common reports of them being out of service, so that could be one reason CCL is still "looking into" them.

I remember JH said they weren't planning to use because of high maintenance and sanitary concerns.

Have used it on RCCL. Love it, also the only reason I got the soda package. I understand about possible the maintenence issues (could be why they are only on a handful of RCCL ships) but your cup will only contaminate your own drink. Another problem might be the potential for dangerous ice cubes on the floor.:eek:

JH said quite some time ago that they were looking into doing this. You would swipe your card and be able to get a soda. I believe there was even a picture of it on FB.

As usual, there has been no progress with this. I have not heard anything since. Maybe I missed something, somewhere?

They have to have a meeting to decide when the next meeting will be scheduled.

RCCL uses these machines on some of their ships, and there are pretty common reports of them being out of service, so that could be one reason CCL is still "looking into" them.

'Common' is a real stretch. I frequent Carnival, Royal, and Celebrity boards and have never read one complaint about them being out of service. if there was a problem, it would be all over these boards.

I remember John Heald talking about the soda guns for the bars to use, but not the freestyle machines. I would love for them to get either one.

Some of the bars have the soda guns. I ask them to use it instead of the cans and have seen them do it. Taste much better. I know the bar at the back of the ship by the Deli has it on the Fascination. Cant remember which bars but also got it that way on Conquest and Dream.

Have used it on RCCL. Love it, also the only reason I got the soda package. I understand about possible the maintenence issues (could be why they are only on a handful of RCCL ships) but your cup will only contaminate your own drink. Another problem might be the potential for dangerous ice cubes on the floor.:eek:

Re: only contaminating your own cup.

That's false. It's not uncommon to see signs at soda fountains to ask that you use a different cup each time you want to fill up (NCL ships ask this). Even if you are only drinking from a cup germs can spread.

Cick mouth touches cup; cup to touches fountain; new cup touches fountain; new cup touches mouth of healthy person; former healthy person is found quarantined in his/her room the next day.

Theoretically, germs shouldn't spread if you use the fountain correctly to fill a drink. The unfortunate truth is that people do not know or care and germs will spread. All it takes is one contaminated cup to touch any surface and the damage is done.

I understand your concern but how it works on Royal is that you place your cup (with a special chip embedded in it ) on a platform. Then you press buttons to dispense your drink. No part of the cup touches any part of the machine really. Hard to explain. The most dangerous part is the pressing of the buttons.

Denise

'Common' is a real stretch. I frequent Carnival, Royal, and Celebrity boards and have never read one complaint about them being out of service. if there was a problem, it would be all over these boards.

I have seen several complaints on the RC board, machines out of order or out of the drink the person wanted. But, most people seem to love them. I didn't use them on the Allure, but, here are some pictures.

232323232%7Ffp54432%3Enu%3D4849%3E6%3C2%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D3699%3A6%3A364348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv566%3B%3Dot%3E393%3A%3D7%3B3%3D%3C25%3DXROQDF%3E278%3A979474257ot1lsi

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCFW23PzhUp1kW1ItjqOEqxyA4ei-UbX-zb33_1UXKzZ7i1iki

Last one is from Google, not mine, I wanted people to see how the drink comes out. :)

I hate these machines. they never work. I sailed on the freedom of the seas and the line to get a soda was long (so I just went to the bar, no biggie) went to the machine the second day...out of order until the last day. not to mention, I hear they are a B to clean out and keep it functioning.

I remember JH saying something about these, if they put them on board, they will still have can soda too.

I don't understand why there would be a concern for ice on the floor and contamination from a soda machine when there are self service lemonade machines and ice machines at the buffet. There's the very same potential for ice spills and cup re-use there as there would be for a soda machine. And if these machines are so dangerous and full of contamination, how could any fast food restaurant have them with no rules posted and no one guarding the machines to watch for people using the same cup again? Why would it be any different on a ship?

As far as being sanitary or causing lines at the buffet, what's the difference in a soda dispenser and a tea dispenser? You get a glass, fill it with ice at the ice machine and fill your glass with tea.

The only difference that I can see is that the choices for tea, lemonade, juices, etc. is fairly limited on the ships now. If those freestyle machines are like those at Burger Kings some other fast food places in my area, there are SO many choices that people tend to stand there in front of the machine and look through the menus which can take much longer than just a choice of Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, etc. with no more than 6 or so choices on normal machines.

Edited by Mysticks1

As far as being sanitary or causing lines at the buffet, what's the difference in a soda dispenser and a tea dispenser? You get a glass, fill it with ice at the ice machine and fill your glass with tea.

With the Freestyle machines, at least on RC, you get a cup with a microchip in the bottom that tells the machine you purchased the package. At the buffet, you get a new glass every time.