New Captain's Club Program

gimletgal

I am frankly amazed at the complaining. I don't even know how someone with 5 or less cruises could really think of themselves as "loyal" cruisers. Good grief, if they counted our cruises under the new point system, we'd be Zenith. Personally, I couldn't care less. The benefits for Captain's Club are nice to have but they sure aren't going to "make" my cruise.

I am one who has only sailed with Celebrity twice, with another booked which would have given me the 2 credits we need to bump us up to the next level, Select, on the next, or 4th, cruise

Am I disappointed ? No. Loyalty is an established pattern when one shows an allegiance to a certain brand, et cet, and to establish loyalty to me suggests that it would take a number of cruises. I absolutely have shown no allegiance to Celebrity in the past decade , having gone on 13 Princess cruises in the interim,

Which I still am not Elite over there after showing allegiance for 10 years

We went on one X cruise with a 12 year absence until this past April.

Seriously, X has been more than generous IMHO allowing cruisers to attain Elite status after very few cruises. That was surprising to me when I found out how few cruises one needed to reach Elite

Also, with Princess/Carnival, there is no reciprocity unlike X/RCCL

I don't cruise for the perks. But why some feel cheated at the below 5 cruises level is beyond me

I am frankly amazed at the complaining. I don't even know how someone with 5 or less cruises could really think of themselves as "loyal" cruisers. Good grief, if they counted our cruises under the new point system, we'd be Zenith. Personally, I couldn't care less. The benefits for Captain's Club are nice to have but they sure aren't going to "make" my cruise.

Agree. It is well known that a lot of people are overrating the value of the fidelity programs. Most of these programs, offered by credit card companies, airlines, grocery stores, etc. have in fact a little monetary value per "point", very often a few cents per point. However, they are marketed in such a way to let people believe thay have a high value. In some cases, couples take their "Air Miles" into account in their divorce agreement!

Celebrity Captain's Club is a nice program but, if you calculate how much would costs to purchase in cash the benefits provided by the program, I don't think that the decision to cruise on Celebrity or an other company should be based on your Captain's Club level. We sail on Celebrity because we like the quality of our sailing experience and are happy with the perks offered.

For your info, we became Elite with 10 points at the end of our last cruise in September. Of course, these points will be converted to 300 new ones and we will enjoy our new Elite status during our next cruise in April. Consequently, we remain exactly at the position we were (beginning of Elite) and are not affected by the transition. I guess, however, that we will only obtain vouchers and will not have access to some events in the Sky lounge that will be restricted to the Elite+. We can live with that.

I agree it's a good idea for Celebrity to have advanced tiers with added benefits for their loyal passengers who, if they are going to offer such a program, are recognized for the amount of business they bring to Celebrity.

That being said, I think it would have been the right thing to do to allow for 1 old system point = 30 new system points conversion for those customers who have booked future cruises prior to November 20th 2013.

I currently have 540 points after the conversion of my 18 pre-existing points. My upcoming 7 day March cruise in a CC cabin, would have garnered me 2 old points = 60 new points. Now I will only receive 35 new points.

While I won't ever reach Zenith level in my lifetime, I certainly have a shot at Elite Plus, and the extra 25 points would have been appreciated.

I'm impressed with the new system. We only have one X cruise under our belt so not exactly loyal cruisers yet, but we do think they are now our line of choice. The previous system was very beneficial to people who did short cruises but not at all for people who sailed longer trips in higher level rooms. This seems to be much fairer.

There is always going to be issues when swapping over, but no one has lost anything it seems, no one has had their existing levels taken away, it's just now made the next level either a bit harder or a bit easier to reach and evened the playing field.

Amazingly we got 3 points for our 18 night AQ cruise in October, that was converted to 90 points in the new system. That same cruise calculates to exactly 90 points anyway with the new calculation lol

I can't even find sailing history. Is is hidden right now, or can you point me to the right place?

I installed Internet Explorer 11 and the Sailing History shows just below our new converted point total. I understand this will also correct a "flashing and disappearing" issue with the new points conversion page.

Randy

Wow! Well I only have 4 points and I am one of the lucky ones who will get to Elite on the same schedule as I would have under the old program - the same system that all you current Elites used to get there. :cool: Calling this new program a "Loyalty" program is a bit of a stretch IMHO, some of the most loyal cruisers are going to get bypassed in the tiers very quickly by those willing to pay more money for suites - so I'm calling this a REWARD program. Many of the Elites complained AFTER attaining their status that it was too easy to get to Elite and strove to make it harder for the rest of us - and you got your wish for some but not all of us. :D I'm just thrilled that Elite is on my horizon but I'm young enough and God willing - should hit Elite Plus too - Zenith - not going to happen.

Wow! Well I only have 4 points and I am one of the lucky ones who will get to Elite on the same schedule as I would have under the old program - the same system that all you current Elites used to get there. :cool: Calling this new program a "Loyalty" program is a bit of a stretch IMHO, some of the most loyal cruisers are going to get bypassed in the tiers very quickly by those willing to pay more money for suites - so I'm calling this a REWARD program. Many of the Elites complained AFTER attaining their status that it was too easy to get to Elite and strove to make it harder for the rest of us - and you got your wish for some but not all of us. :D I'm just thrilled that Elite is on my horizon but I'm young enough and God willing - should hit Elite Plus too - Zenith - not going to happen.

Atta girl Jane, so very well said....

And if the 3rd / 4th will get half the points?

The 3rd / 4th fare is next to nothing.

In many cases, they will get none of the points. Most 3rd/4th passengers are under 18. On Celebrity, children don't earn any points, unlike many other cruise lines.

Thank you, Ma Bell. I have been biting my tongue for days. This reminds me of the old SNL skit "The Whiners".

This is just silly. Do you really think that people are wishing that others don't become Elite and were striving to make it more difficult? I think there was just a general acknowledgement that it couldn't continue the way it was or it was not going to be enjoyable for anyone.

My whole point is that the rewards programs are nice but certainly nothing to get in an uproar over. I'm happy for anyone who becomes whatever it is that makes them happy. It's just the whining and complaining that I don't get. We all have the same opportunities and while some of the newer cruisers may feel that they were short changed, the older cruisers were not rewarded for length of cruises or cabin levels for many years. It's a couple of bucks worth of stuff which can easily be purchased for a lot less than booking another cruise.

In many cases, they will get none of the points. Most 3rd/4th passengers are under 18. On Celebrity, children don't earn any points, unlike many other cruise lines.

What? Our son did. All his Celebrity cruises were before he turned 18 and he's a Select Captain's Club Member with 265 points.

This is just silly. Do you really think that people are wishing that others don't become Elite and were striving to make it more difficult? I think there was just a general acknowledgement that it couldn't continue the way it was or it was not going to be enjoyable for anyone.

My whole point is that the rewards programs are nice but certainly nothing to get in an uproar over. I'm happy for anyone who becomes whatever it is that makes them happy. It's just the whining and complaining that I don't get. We all have the same opportunities and while some of the newer cruisers may feel that they were short changed, the older cruisers were not rewarded for length of cruises or cabin levels for many years. It's a couple of bucks worth of stuff which can easily be purchased for a lot less than booking another cruise.

Yes I do believe that - the complaining from Elites is documented VERY well here on CC - "it's too crowed" - "I hate vouchers" - "they need to make it harder". It is all in past threads. Me - I could care less other than I always book too early to get the promos - so yes - a couple of drink vouchers will be appreciated :D But I have tons of compassion for those that have booked cruises that would have gotten them to a certain level and now won't. I personally got lucky - I'll still make Elite after only 5 cruises and after only 45 days. I think we all should try to put ourselves in others shoes. They should be able to express their disappointment.

I've been reading posts on here since I joined how many felt it was not fair that it was so easy for people now to make Elite. As they complained, they suggested that Celebrity made it harder for others to become Elite, so yes, people were wishing that others didn't become elite by making it more difficult. And now many of these same posters are now complaining that it will take a lot longer for them to move up from Elite to Elite+ and Elite+ to Zenith....funny how things come back to bite people, isn't it.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I've been reading posts on here since I joined how many felt it was not fair that it was so easy for people now to make Elite. As they complained, they suggested that Celebrity made it harder for others to become Elite, so yes, people were wishing that others didn't become elite by making it more difficult. And now many of these same posters are now complaining that it will take a lot longer for them to move up from Elite to Elite+ and Elite+ to Zenith....funny how things come back to bite people, isn't it.

Amen!!!!

Yes. Several posters wanted Elites "culled" because there are so many.

I believe that there was only one poster (perhaps from ROYAL?) who repeatedly wanted to "cull" the herd, so to speak, & admitted that they would be happy if it happened; which thankfully, it didn't.

What? Our son did. All his Celebrity cruises were before he turned 18 and he's a Select Captain's Club Member with 265 points.

That's good to know -- at dinner one evening on my last cruise we had a big discussion about how the Captains Club rep told one of my friends that they would not give them credit for a cruise they went on when they were under 18.

I was surprised, because on most other cruise lines children can earn credits, even if they don't go into "effect" until they are over 18.

I'll be sure to pass along this info, so that he can call and try to get credit for that cruise again.

Thanks!

Despite all the comments regarding the worth of Captain's Club benefits it has obviously been a HUGE success for Celebrity Cruises.

It seems to me that generally the cruisers that have already reached Elite status are happy and tough T's to those who have not.

I am recently retired and intend to do as much cruising as funds allow.

We are currently on select status and have two further cruises booked and paid for in February and April which under the "old system" would have made us elite. If the information provided on previous posts is correct we will now fall short.

Our first four cruises were not with Celebrity and we changed because of loyalty program.

It was a bit of fun shaping cruises around loyalty points to try and achieve Elite Status.

We are now in a position where we cannot do anything about our upcoming cruises without losing a heap of money (airfares/accommodation paid for )

I understand re the fine print providing for changes without notice. However if rollout is to be as stated I consider it unfair as I booked in "GOOD FAITH".

If Celebrity Cruises really wants to be fair and reward their best clients perhaps they should recalculate everyone's points based on the new system. That is forget about the 30 for 1 point and recalculate on a cruise day/cabin basis.

Everyone will then be on a level playing field with the most loyal clients rewarded accordingly, and I imagine quite a few who are just elites culled.

Remember the fine print re change without notice can apply to everyone.