Pride on the cheap

treasurespast

I'm going on the Pride next week. I don't want a big bill at the end of my cruise. How about some tips on cruising on the cheap? I will take my own bottle of wine as permitted by Carnival. I won't sign up for excursions - the ports aren't of much interest to me anyway. I like the cruising part better than the ports. Any ideas?

I'm going on the Pride next week. I don't want a big bill at the end of my cruise. How about some tips on cruising on the cheap? I will take my own bottle of wine as permitted by Carnival. I won't sign up for excursions - the ports aren't of much interest to me anyway. I like the cruising part better than the ports. Any ideas?

I can have a fabulous cruise and not spend a single extra cent. Everything I love the best about cruising is included--the sea, the sun, endless hours of relaxation, new people to meet, entertainment.

The best way to sail cheap is to put your S&S in your pocket and think twice before bringing it out.

Ordering a bottle of your favorite hooch from The Fun Shops will save you tons on fancy mixed drinks from the bars too.

Check when you board, but often on the first night there will be a free liquor tasting at the Fun Shops. My last cruise had the embarkation delayed due to fog, and hardly anyone made it to the tasting, I could have done some Cheers level drinking if I had been so inclined. Also, if you can sit through an art auction, they serve Champagne there.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Check when you board, but often on the first night there will be a free liquor tasting at the Fun Shops. My last cruise had the embarkation delayed due to fog, and hardly anyone made it to the tasting, I could have done some Cheers level drinking if I had been so inclined. Also, if you can sit through an art auction, they serve Champagne there.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The tastings are just that, a taste, but you can go through the line over and over. Once the first influx goes through, it doesn't take long:D

Are you qualified for past guest party?

Slap cash to your S&S account. Yes, you paid the gratuities in cash, but it makes the final bill look and feel smaller.

The tastings are just that, a taste, but you can go through the line over and over. Once the first influx goes through, it doesn't take long:D

Are you qualified for past guest party?

Slap cash to your S&S account. Yes, you paid the gratuities in cash, but it makes the final bill look and feel smaller.

Yes, we are past guests. How do I know about the past guest party?

There will be an invite on your bed one night.

Please DO NOT remove tips for the MDR as it is split up to all the servers, even the ones who work the Lido. That would not be right nor fair. Enjoy the MDR and all free places to eat.

Pass on Bingo, photos, shopping, but if you are local you can save a few bucks by buying a few bottles of booze that will be delivered to your room the final night to take home.

Have a great cruise and come back and tell us all about it:)

:p

Don't eat in the MDR and have the tips removed from you account.

Time to start in with the "I don't eat in the MDR, so why should I pay the gratuities" meme...YET AGAIN!:rolleyes:

Exactly, how much ARE you getting paid to try & talk people into stiffing the staff?:eek:;)

Just remember that the past guest party is only on cruises of 5 days and longer and is now the Gold, Platinum and Diamond party so you have to have 25 days or more to be invited. The 25 days can be achieved while on your current cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
You're kidding, I hope. Seriously, if you will look, those in the MDR each evening, are also working the buffet area mornings and/or lunch many days. Same people, same tips.

Aren't the buffet workers tipped from the "alternaive dining" portion of the daily tip?

I don't see the problem with removing the MDR tips if you never eat there. The MDR tips are higher because the level of service is higher.

If you only eat in the buffet- why tip for service you didn't receive?

What!!!?!!?!?? :eek: That is a REALLY bad plan. The crew that works the buffet - don't deserve your tips :( :confused: :o

I agree this is a bad plan. I never eat in the dining room, but wouldn't think about removing tips. The tips also go to the buffet staff. Sheech, you have to eat somewhere.

At least pay the standard tips.

Aren't the buffet workers tipped from the "alternaive dining" portion of the daily tip?

I don't see the problem with removing the MDR tips if you never eat there. The MDR tips are higher because the level of service is higher.

If you only eat in the buffet- why tip for service you didn't receive?

You DID receive their service even though you

"choose" not to eat in the MDR. Your table and place settings are waiting for you each and every night whether you show up or not. They DID do work for you that you never saw or appreciated. You were a no show at dinner and all had to wait for you then determine if you would ever be coming or not. It is your choice not to eat in the MDR, but please do not remove their tips. They all double work at the Lido, take your plate, wipe your tables, and do more for you than you realize.