Excursions in the rain?

spabsie

So looking at the weather forecast, it looks like it may rain the day in Labadee. Does anyone know how Royal handles excursions with rain? We booked ziplines for 9 of us, an over the water cabana and more floating mats.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I don't know about the zipline, but, usually rain in the Caribbean is a quick shower, sometimes a downpour then it clears up and gets really humid. The ship will know what to do, make the best of it if it does rain, I'd rather be there with you than sitting at work. Good Luck! :)

In general most excursions go even in the rain. Ziplines though should not let you do it in the rain as it is dangerous. Touring though is safe. As the other poster pointed out, rain in the Caribbean lasts only a short while (10 -20 minutes and is usually light) so they don't cancel. Count though on very high humidity and temperature to the point of being uncomfortable.

If however lightening makes an appearance or is threatening, most if not all shore excursions will be canceled.

I personally have done tours in the rain to include it raining as we boarded the tour bus. I have also been on a tour where it started raining lightly as per usual and the tour went on. Plan ahead!

Op, you might consider canceling the extra mats in case you do not need them. We have generally found them to be available the day we are on labadee.

The zip line will be cancelled ( and you will receive a refund) if the weather is dangerous.

Sorry- I don't know how RCCL will handle the cabana. I imagine as long as the ship docs there, you will have to pay.

I hope you have a good day.

M

We've seen "all day rains" in the Caribbean, but as others have said it's more often a brief shower. Strange coincidence, out of 8 Caribbean cruises I can only recall 3 days where it rained most of a day in port, and two were in Antigua.

Either way, it will be warm rain:D

Edited by bouhunter

So looking at the weather forecast, it looks like it may rain the day in Labadee. Does anyone know how Royal handles excursions with rain? We booked ziplines for 9 of us, an over the water cabana and more floating mats.

Anyone have any experience with this?

They will give you mats for the people in your cabana - the cabana attendant will get them for you. The only extra ones you may need are those for the members of your party past the 6 indicated as the "limit" for the cabana, but that many not be strictly enforced.

I think the zip line will depend on the weather but if cancelled by RCI you will receive a credit for the charges in the form of an OBC on your SeaPass card.

I personally have done tours in the rain to include it raining as we boarded the tour bus. I have also been on a tour where it started raining lightly as per usual and the tour went on. Plan ahead!

As a small private RCI destination, there are no bus tours offered at Labadee. The only on property "tour" would be walking tour, which may be cancelled if the weather is adverse. There are also water related activities and boat excursions which could be affected. If so, a credit would be issued for the charges.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I did a volcanic climb on St. Kitts in a downpour for the entire excursion and they handled it by letting us climb and get in mud that went up over and filled our shoes. I was surprised they didn't ask us to get hosed down before reboarding. By the way, playing in the mud was a blast for me.:) Probably not so much for those who fell during their climb.:(

Just a side note, and not specific to Labadee, but for ALL trips ( land or sea) , we carry disposable ponchos in our luggage for rainy tour days. We’ve toured many grand cities in the rain! A favorite memory is Barcelona in a rain storm. We took a walk from our hotel to the sea and the photo of my husband with his poncho flying looks like something from the weather channel! It is one of our favorite photos. The other option was to sit in the hotel but with only 2 days in the city – we decided to brave it.

OP – I hope you have a sunny day.

M

Just a side note, and not specific to Labadee, but for ALL trips ( land or sea) , we carry disposable ponchos in our luggage for rainy tour days. We’ve toured many grand cities in the rain! A favorite memory is Barcelona in a rain storm. We took a walk from our hotel to the sea and the photo of my husband with his poncho flying looks like something from the weather channel! It is one of our favorite photos. The other option was to sit in the hotel but with only 2 days in the city – we decided to brave it.

OP – I hope you have a sunny day.

M

We just returned from Barcelona. It rained the day we toured the Segrada Familia and Park Guell. It was a shame we did not have better views--but, we still had a wonderful visit. Rain happens--ignore it.:)

You do NOT need to pre-book the floats...they have plenty! Just wait until you are there, and see IF you want them! You can also bring cheap, inflatable floats...and save yourself the $12 each (it may be more, now!!)

My husband suggested to take my own inflatable float, but, I figured that they would not let me use it? Do they?

My husband suggested to take my own inflatable float, but, I figured that they would not let me use it? Do they?

I don't see why not - I've never seen any restrictions about that. But the only one's I recall seeing there were small ones being used by a family for their children. The mats provide an excellent means of floatation so I'm not sure why you would want to bring your own and then have to inflate it. I guess it's a matter of personal choice, but IMO, I wouldn't bother packing and bringing one when the mats are there already for that purpose.

I have seen people bring their own floats, etc. In Bermuda I even saw a couple carry their own chairs. [the kind you wear as a backpack]

But, I agree their mats are pretty good. I am not sure I would bother with my own.