Travel agents and perks.

pj woods

I just received a email for a online travel sight saying book a cruise on Black Friday and we will give you the world. It included pre paid tips up to 200 dollars room credit, dinner for 2 at specialty restaurant, and 100 dollar voucher for the spa.

So my question is this. How do they get to throw in so many perk? I have always been told if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

I just received a email for a online travel sight saying book a cruise on Black Friday and we will give you the world. It included pre paid tips up to 200 dollars room credit, dinner for 2 at specialty restaurant, and 100 dollar voucher for the spa.

So my question is this. How do they get to throw in so many perk? I have always been told if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

I checked the quote they gave me yesterday with the price it would be if booking directly through RC and they were over 600 dollars cheaper. Plus the perks!

We've used them before and the perks are true!:D

Sherri:)

Edited by sjb317

High volumn sales and giving you part of their commission paid to them by the cruise line

I personally use a TA to book my cruises....it has always paid off for me. I use a TA I personally know, not one that I found by a 'solicitation', like the one being mentioned in this posting.

My TA has always found better pricing than I could do on my own; she advocates for me when their are pricing changes and handles getting me the reduced rates; she has gotten me with the same OBCs that Royal advertises, even if I have booked, and sometimes even already paid in full.

I checked the quote they gave me yesterday with the price it would be if booking directly through RC and they were over 600 dollars cheaper. Plus the perks!

Just a couple of thoughts on this:

First, the stateroom rate through RCI directly and a TA is the same as they do not provide discounted prices through the TA.

The rate offered may be the result of a block of rooms secured by the TA at a price that was lower at the time they secured them than it is now. TA's will also receive a credit from the cruise line - typically a 1 person rate for every 8 rooms blocked - for this group of rooms, which they may distribute across each 8 rooms booked as a reduction. They also may issue OBC's or other perks that could appear as a discount to the room rate, which would come from their booking commission as a give back to you to as an incentive to book through them.

So the rate difference you were quoted likely is from some or all of the above - but it is not a result of the TA being able to offer the same stateroom at a lower current rate than that offered directly by RCI. Obviously the net to you is a gain, but it is a result of give backs to you from the TA's overall compensation and rate timing with your booking.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The on-line TA is including for my 11 day Quantum cruise in Feb.'15 prepaid Grats, dinner for 2 at a specialty restaurant and $100 spa credit, plus a OBC from RCL or using a NCC.

The on-line TA is including for my 11 day Quantum cruise in Feb.'15 prepaid Grats, dinner for 2 at a specialty restaurant and $100 spa credit, plus a OBC from RCL or using a NCC.

Those Quantum cruises have a pretty high price tag. The commission would therefore be nice, too, and offer room for incentives.

Sounds very generous.

First, the stateroom rate through RCI directly and a TA is the same as they do not provide discounted prices through the TA.

The rate offered may be the result of a block of rooms secured by the TA at a price that was lower at the time they secured them than it is now. TA's will also receive a credit from the cruise line - typically a 1 person rate for every 8 rooms blocked - for this group of rooms, which they may distribute across each 8 rooms booked as a reduction. They also may issue OBC's or other perks that could appear as a discount to the room rate, which would come from their booking commission as a give back to you to as an incentive to book through them.

So the rate difference you were quoted likely is from some or all of the above - but it is not a result of the TA being able to offer the same stateroom at a lower current rate than that offered directly by RCI. Obviously the net to you is a gain, but it is a result of give backs to you from the TA's overall compensation and rate timing with your booking.

Yes, I realize this but the bottom line is, if I booked through RC today, I would pay a significant amount more than booking through this agency, plus the perks were worth a good amount. So to me, it doesn't matter how this happens, only that I am paying less!:D

Yes, I realize this but the bottom line is, if I booked through RC today, I would pay a significant amount more than booking through this agency, plus the perks were worth a good amount. So to me, it doesn't matter how this happens, only that I am paying less!:D

I agree, which is why I indicated that with this you would gain - even if it is as a result of the timing with the booking. We use a TA as well - not for any perks necessarily - but for her excellent service over the years. We have maintained a personal relationship with her though many bookings and in our view, she has well earned her commissions. The only question I would have is if this is out of a block of rooms previously secured, would there be any restrictions on stateroom category and location choice? But by all means, a good deal is still a good deal.

It could be group rate therefore it could be cheaper rate. Large volume TA often have group rates on popular sailings...

We always use TA to get better rates/perks

I agree, which is why I indicated that with this you would gain - even if it is as a result of the timing with the booking. We use a TA as well - not for any perks necessarily - but for her excellent service over the years. We have maintained a personal relationship with her though many bookings and in our view, she has well earned her commissions. The only question I would have is if this is out of a block of rooms previously secured, would there be any restrictions on stateroom category and location choice? But by all means, a good deal is still a good deal.

On our cruise this past July on Jewel, our TA got us a price as part of a group that she knew had a block of rooms...we had no requirements of any kind because it was from a group's block of cabins -- the deal was better than we had found, even as the prices changed as the cruise got closer.

We booked an Allure cruise for June 2014 -- again, she got us a better price than we could have gotten. Do I care how...no as long as no restrictions, that affect me. She got us a price significantly lower than a 'guarantee booking offer' that we were considering.

A good deal, through a legitimate source is a good deal.

recently received a phone call from a PC from Royal caribbean who gave me his direct line ... I questioned him as to why if I booked directly with RCI I would not receive the perks, such as prepaid grats, dinner for 2 , spa credit, etc, etc...... I told him if he could match those I would book direct..

no can do.... so I posed the question to him... or more of a statement.. "you are telling me that it is a better deal pricewise for me to book thru a travel agent?"... his reply was "yes"

recently received a phone call from a PC from Royal caribbean who gave me his direct line ... I questioned him as to why if I booked directly with RCI I would not receive the perks, such as prepaid grats, dinner for 2 , spa credit, etc, etc...... I told him if he could match those I would book direct..

no can do.... so I posed the question to him... or more of a statement.. "you are telling me that it is a better deal pricewise for me to book thru a travel agent?"... his reply was "yes"

Because the TA is giving you those back out of his commission, which would be at their discretion. And BTW not all TA's do that. Many TA's also charge you separate fees for handling - and in particular cancelling - a booking that the cruise lines don't charge. IMO that is a red flag not to use them. (not referring to cancellations after final payment, but activity prior to that).

Again, a good deal is a good deal and I am certainly not knocking TA's as we have used one exclusively - and the same one - for about 15 years with great satisfaction with our bookings.

We have used a similar TA many times. It is legitimate for reasons already stated they can afford to offer the many perks.

Our current Allure offers about the same as your initial deal. But, there are a few hassles to deal with...namely not being able to handle your reservation when making changes, things like linking reservations etc. They also may honor price reductions you find on the RCCL site. This happened a month ago on our Allure deal, but if the rate goes too low they may recall some perks. In our case they recalled the $100 OBC to allow the new rate...so I ended up only gaining by $50 but hey, that's a smaller fare plus a $50 "OBC" if you will. Just the paid gratuities seem enough of a perk to use this particular agency. And it is nice to have free meals in Chops, etc.

And yes, if you cancel...in our case, it will cost us $50 per person cancellation fee.

Edited by BecciBoo

I find this topic very interesting. There seem to be two very polarized camps on this one: Book yourself, and use a TA. Plusses and minuses to each one, I guess.

But, how can you scoff at several hundred dollars worth of net savings (yes, might be OBC, etc)? I have booked 4 of my 5 cruises directly. I just like the control (switching cabins easily, grabbing price drops, etc).

My strategy might be to book on my own so I grab my desired cabin location, and then transfer to an agent? OR, when agents do group bookings - I guess I have to pick their cabin only, right? hmmm. I suppose if I don't care which cabin I get, I should probably use an agent.

My strategy might be to book on my own so I grab my desired cabin location, and then transfer to an agent? OR, when agents do group bookings - I guess I have to pick their cabin only, right? hmmm. I suppose if I don't care which cabin I get, I should probably use an agent.

I used an online agency for my upcoming Explorer cruise - I got to pick my cabin (online on their site) enter in all of my own info, etc.

Even on a (relatively) cheap cruise of $1645 for 3 people, we're getting $175 OBC.

Those Quantum cruises have a pretty high price tag. The commission would therefore be nice, too, and offer room for incentives.

Sounds very generous.

They are. They have sweet deals on 7 day cruises from various US & SJ ports and the level of perks are based on cabin selections, eg inside vs. balcony.

My strategy might be to book on my own so I grab my desired cabin location, and then transfer to an agent?

That IS my strategy Todd. I always book initially with RCCL just me on the booking. Month or two later when I get the $250 to add DH I start shopping agencies and pic the one who has the best deal going on and then transfer. Works so far! I just have to put up with not having total control from then on, annoying, but worth it.:D BLack Day after Thanksgiving sales will be good this next Friday hunting for another deal.

Edited by BecciBoo

$600??? What is the ship/saildate and what were the quotes? That's really hard to believe there would be such a difference. Something doesn't smell right. :rolleyes:

I have a question, if the TA says you get all these perks plus if you're platium, etc you get an additional 350.00 off the cruise price, has anyone gotten this extra 350.00 off w/ the online agency. I got all the perks, but I'm a one point away from platium. So, wondering if it's a good idea to move to a junior suite and next cruise I take I'll be platium.

$600??? What is the ship/saildate and what were the quotes? That's really hard to believe there would be such a difference. Something doesn't smell right. :rolleyes:

We booked the Liberty TA for October, 2014. Our balcony, minus the D+ discount, came to a little over 2100. That includes port fees & taxes. I priced the same category through Royal. It would have been a little over 2700 total. That was after applying our discount.

Does that smell ok?:D

The rate offered may be the result of a block of rooms secured by the TA at a price that was lower at the time they secured them than it is now.

TA's will also receive a credit from the cruise line - typically a 1 person rate for every 8 rooms blocked - for this group of rooms, which they may distribute across each 8 rooms booked as a reduction.

They also may issue OBC's or other perks that could appear as a discount to the room rate, which would come from their booking commission as a give back to you to as an incentive to book through them.

Yes, I realize this but the bottom line is, if I booked through RC today, I would pay a significant amount more than booking through this agency,

One potential caveat in case this is a group booking: You will be locked in to that price since it's a group booking, even if Royal offers a lower rate further on down the road. Still a good deal, but future additional savings may be limited.

One potential caveat in case this is a group booking: You will be locked in to that price since it's a group booking, even if Royal offers a lower rate further on down the road. Still a good deal, but future additional savings may be limited.

Actually, that happened back in 2008, and we did get the lower price. I was surprised because I did not think they would honor it (and maybe they would not currently) but hey, it never hurts to ask!:D

We don't always use a TA, most of the time I book it myself through Royal but I try to go with the best price.