carnival sunshine cabin choice and recent reviews

carnaz

Hi everyone, this is my first post.

We booked a 5 day cruise on the sunshine in the middle of our 14 night holiday to Florida from the UK during April.

We booked it about 2 months ago when write ups and reviews all seemed quite positive. The reviews seem too have gone downhill since. Its something new to us so i am sure we will enjoy.

At the time we booked a porthole cabin on deck 2, it is three cabins from the front, have been told we would be better off upgrading or moving to midship if possible.

Would anyone recommend we move or is our cabin choice alright.

Thanks in advance.

I'm cruising for the first time too and will be on the Sunshine in December. I just read the reviews this morning and agree, they weren't very good. I just dismissed them, after all, a vacation is what you make of it. I also think that those with cruising experience have a set of expectations going in where as I have none. When we went to an all-inclusive in Jamaica last year it was the same thing, lots of bad reviews, but our first time there so we loved it.

We're booked in a balcony on deck 7 near the back. I don't know if this location will be good or bad either.

We wanted to do a 5 day in April but chose a 5 day in Feb with a more appealing itinerary to us. I dont know about your cabin as we have just had regular insides but you really wont be in your cabin for much except sleeping, there will be a lot going on board.

As far as the bad reviews, people love to complain more than they will post good things about their vacation. Most of their complaints are blown out of proportion. We were on the Destiny before they made her the Sunshine and we loved her then so I am sure you will have a great time!

I read some of the negative reviews also weeks ago before I cruised on the Sunshine last week. If most of the complaints actually happened they've been corrected. There was a few things they did that I do not think make sense but on no way ruined my vacation. The Sunshine is a beautiful ship and I'm sure you'll enjoy her.

Sent using the Cruise Critic app

Is this your first cruise? If so, then your cabin really won't matter.

If you normally cruise in a more upgraded cabin, then you might want to consider moving.

I personally wouldn't move, especially based on reviews. But that is because we only sleep and shower in our cabin so don't really care too much about location. You're on the quieter end of the ship which for us is a plus.

As far as cabin choice goes we just always make sure there's cabins both below and above us. That way we know there will be noise from a band or show. Just check what is above you and as long as it's not the Liquid lounge you should be ok.

We had a porthole cabin all the way fwd on Elation in September, and we enjoyed it - the anchor dropping was a bit noisy, but we were awake most mornings before it happened anyway since it was a port day.

We'll be on the Sunshine this Sunday - cannot wait. Will post my thoughts when we return.

We had cabin 7308 on the Sunshine TA. The cabin was nice with a balcony because I am a smoker. The only problems we had was that the telephone didn't work nor did all of the ceiling lights. I reported them and phone got fixed and the lights went on and off, on and off. This was just SOME of ceiling lights so it didn't really matter to us. I was a great cruise and I will sail on her again in Feb.:D

Hi everyone, this is my first post.

We booked a 5 day cruise on the sunshine in the middle of our 14 night holiday to Florida from the UK during April.

We booked it about 2 months ago when write ups and reviews all seemed quite positive. The reviews seem too have gone downhill since. Its something new to us so i am sure we will enjoy.

At the time we booked a porthole cabin on deck 2, it is three cabins from the front, have been told we would be better off upgrading or moving to midship if possible.

Would anyone recommend we move or is our cabin choice alright.

Thanks in advance.

I was also on the TA and had a wonderful cruise.

Did not care for the Liquid Lounge Theatre but the rest of the ship was fine.

I usually book the porthole cabins and have never had a problem with them before. However I was booked in cabin 2106 on the Sunshine and once the ship picked up speed there was a loud knocking (metal against metal) outside. I am used to the boom of the waves against the hull and the anchor when arriving in port but this was different. It woke me up in the middle of the night.

They did change my room.

I spoke to people on the cabin crawl who had the porthole below mine on Deck 1 and they did not have any noise.

A friend had a porthole cabin on the other side of the ship and she had no problem either, just me.

OP - what cabin are you in? I am the 'friend' mentioned above and was in cabin 2109 and had no noise/vibration etc - smooth sailing...:)

Friends at the back of the ship - deck 2 aft corner cabin - had to also switch cabins due to noise and vibration!!

Just got off the Sunshine on Sunday and had a blast.

Yes, there were still a couple of absorption cloths out, but we saw no buckets.

Yes, there was a sewage smell a couple of days right by the glass elevators on deck 3 at the Atrium. While it was more than the standard "whiff" you can get from time to time from a contained system, it was not that bad.

This ship only has 2 major problems....

1. The cabins on deck 6 above the Liquid Lounge (when it turns into a disco) clearly has noise issues. Carnival needs to discount these cabins as night owl cabins until they get the issue resolved. The good news is that Corporate folks stayed in those very cabins last week for the Naming Ceremony and the sailing....so they got a first hand dose of reality!

2. The floors coming into the buffet area on Lido turn into ice rinks with just a little bit of humidity. I had a walking boot on so I was being ultra careful...and I still almost fell twice. It is slicker than owl snot!

Other than that...I LOVED the new layout. No one can complain any more about Carnival ships being cookie cutter!

The Limelight Lounge (Comedy lounge) is to small but they have gone to 3 shows instead of 2. We only go to the family friendly shows and we never had a problem finding a good seat about 15 minutes before it started.

The foods we tried were good to great. Our wait staff and cabin stewards were outstanding. The Entertainment Staff were clearly tired. They had just completed a difficult Trans Atlantic. And there was a couple of times one Social Host was condescending and borderline rude....but I just chalked it up to them being overwhelmed. It happens.

There was limited karaoke but I have been assured that this is being changed now that they are in the US.

They have a true cover band. Rock and Roll Time Machine are one of the best cover bands I have ever heard. Chris (lead singer) is so charming and so much fun. Paul is the guitarist and he is a genius!! CJ on keys ROCKS!!

Bass Player (sorry I forgot his name) is one of the best! Drummer was a hoot.

Piano Bar is excellent. Gary is brand new to Carnival so be sure and go in and show him some love. He comes from a TRUE dueling piano bar background, which most Carnival passengers are not familiar with....so just go with it where the tipping is concerned.

At a TRUE piano bar, you can pay to stop a song. And then pay to start it again. There can be some real "battles" (which the piano guy loves because he makes a lot of money).

Juan is on of the guitarist (solo entertainers) and he was just getting on the ship as we were departing...so we never got to hear him. But we got to visit at 3 Amigos and he seemed like a super nice guy.

Do not miss the BACK of the ship on Lido..... that is where they have the omelet line for breakfast on both sides . The Mongolian grill on one side and Italian on the other for lunch...all free.

It turns into a "for a fee" restaurant at night with Asian on one side and Italian on the other.

But the Havana Bar is always open in the middle. They have a Latin Band at night ...which did not go over very well on our cruise from New Orleans...but will go very well once it starts sailing from Florida.

I cruise on the Sunshine on December 8th and I absolutely can't wait. I don't care about any of the negative reviews....a cruise is what you make of it and as long as I'm onboard it's all good

Agreed. I've seen people on here complain about things I've never given a second thought. I'm booked on the Sunshine next July in a scenic oceanview room and absolutely cannot wait. I've seen more positive reviews than negative. Go and enjoy your trip!

We have an aft cabin in April. How bad was the vibration? Does anyone have any pictures of 2335 or 2334? They were 1A turned into 6B. Sure hope they upgraded the furniture in those cabins. Don't want to sleep on a bunk!!!

Thanks for any input!!

Our friends were in 2347 and the vibration and noise were really bad and they were moved.

Large cabin with two single beds which could be a king

Other friends were next door in 2349 and their room was okay.

• 1 year later...

maryann2 - We are considering booking room 2106, can you tell me what the bedding configuration is? We went on the Sunshine last month and LOVED it, we are currently looking at going on one of the Carnival Journeys in November/December.

Thanks!!

Edited by dsgriggs