Article: One Nation Under Dressed

shipgeeks

Maybe it depends on location. My son goes to college in a pretty urban environment which was also ground zero for the whole "baggy, loose-hanging jeans" look. You don't see baggy jeans there anymore the way you would've a decade ago. It's passed.

Perhaps such trends take a while to percolate.

Watch a few rap videos on MTV and you'll see the demographic I'm referring to.

Those of us were were Children of the 60s: remember wearing those low-rise bell bottoms, the tie-dye shirts, flowing tunic shirts, crocheted vests, flowers in the hair??? We thought it was totally appropriate, yet we had the people calling us sloppy, slovenly, and we were leading to the end of civilization… I even led a (successful) movement to allow girls to be able to wear mini-skirts and pants to my school. Remember, kids are testing their boundaries and clothes are part of that ;)

Those of us were were Children of the 60s: remember wearing those low-rise bell bottoms, the tie-dye shirts, flowing tunic shirts, crocheted vests, flowers in the hair??? We thought it was totally appropriate, yet we had the people calling us sloppy, slovenly, and we were leading to the end of civilization… I even led a (successful) movement to allow girls to be able to wear mini-skirts and pants to my school. Remember, kids are testing their boundaries and clothes are part of that ;)

Those were my years!:D I remember my mom almost having a heart attack when I came home from college in my first pair of jeans!

Sherri:)

My son goes to a college in urban ATL. It doesn't get much more MTV demographic than that. And short of a few performers or performer wanna-be's, it's just not a popular look any more. Certainly less than 10% of my son's age group.

I have hope. :)

While women wearing pants and pant suits has become very acceptable in almost all situations, many places of business still have dress codes. Anyone working in big city law firms, accounting firms, bank officers and many other professions still require suits/dresses and business appproriate clothing. While there may be fewer three piece suits worn these days, many men still wear a suit and tie to work daily. Woman put on their business suits/pant suits/dresses/skirts/pumps and are dressed professionally.

I can't recall any friends of mine that wear a suit to work or even ties and most have jobs in the 50-150k range of pay. My mother worked in a law firm and never had to wear suits and the only time our personal lawyer wears a suit is when presenting in court. Most of the banks I go to all wear slacks and a polo shirt these days, it's almost a uniform at this point. I myself work in a company where even the CEO and president wear nice jeans or dockers and a polo shirt to work and we are a major financial company in the Forbes 500. Business culture is changing.

One is more likely to see baggy jeans today than any videos on MTV. ;)

I teach at a two-year college. Most of the female students dress as if they are headed to a club (or a street corner to look for business) and the male students dress for the basketball court or other exercise. It's beyond appalling.

One of my rules for days on which they give presentations is that they can't wear shirts with writing, graphics, or logos. You'd be amazed how many can't manage to scrounge a decent polo shirt (with sleeves!) out of their closets.

I teach at a two-year college. Most of the female students dress as if they are headed to a club (or a street corner to look for business) and the male students dress for the basketball court or other exercise. It's beyond appalling.

The same was true for the middle schoolers I used to teach! But there was a glimmer of hope. Each year the 8th graders would have a Veteran's Day assembly. They were all encouraged to dress nicely for the occasion. Each year it would amaze me to see these kids come to school dressed up. Many of the boys would wear ties and some even jackets. They would wear dress shoes instead of sneakers and fix their hair nicely. The girls would go all out as well. For that one day they stood a little straighter, acted much better, showed they really did have manners and seemed more like young adults. The power of clothes!

I can't recall any friends of mine that wear a suit to work or even ties and most have jobs in the 50-150k range of pay. My mother worked in a law firm and never had to wear suits and the only time our personal lawyer wears a suit is when presenting in court. Most of the banks I go to all wear slacks and a polo shirt these days, it's almost a uniform at this point. I myself work in a company where even the CEO and president wear nice jeans or dockers and a polo shirt to work and we are a major financial company in the Forbes 500. Business culture is changing.

I agree.....my husband's company is a major entity in the computer tech world and they have encouraged casual dress for quite sometime. The feeling is that it makes them more approachable. I work for a small, regional charity and dress to the nines daily for my job. I don't mind dressing for vacation, but we don't take as much as when we first started. I find I'm getting old too.....my mom used to hate me wearing t-shirts and jeans in the 70's!

Sent from my BNTV600 using Forums mobile app

Edited by islandgirlejfan

;) Seems Boston's professional environment may be a bit more formal than your 'hometown'.

No trial attorney goes to court without suit or suitable dress/skirt and blouse; no bank officer reports to work in less than jacket and tie or commensurate for the women even in the small suburban branches..........

Edited by sail7seas

;) Seems Boston's professional environment may be a bit more formal than your 'hometown'.

No trial attorney goes to court without suit or suitable dress/skirt and blouse; no bank officer reports to work in less than jacket and tie or commensurate for the women even in the small suburban branches..........

I agree 100%. We live in a Detroit suburb. People dress here, in their professional environment. I wouldn't do business with a bank where the managers dressed casually. My 90 year old mother always dressed perfectly, in a skirt and ironed shirt/blazer. People always went out of their way to treat her nicely, because she didn't look like a sloppy old lady. They admired her. I've had friends assume DH had some fancy job, because he always dressed as if he did. People judge you by how you look. We were put in business class once, because we dressed like we belonged there.

I had a mini-maternity dress, which DH bought for me.

Was your mother a lawyer?

I guess we travel in different circles because all our frineds wear, at the very minumum, a sport coat and tie.

It's not only Boston.;) I live in a relatively small town and I can say that here, all the professionals you mention dress as you say. My husband wore a suit, tie and only solid white or blue shirt every day of his professional career as did all the other lawyers in his office. Not only did he keep a suit for court on the few casual days they had, he also kept it for anytime he needed to leave the office.

Yes, the business culture is changing. My son works as a chemist for an international pharmaceutical company. He wears casual clothes complemeted by his long ponytail. He is right in line with the CEO and HIS ponytail.:D

However, not all businesses in all areas, have or will change from the standard, accepted business dress.

LindaM, I have a friend who was the head stewardess in first class. Dressed as you were, when she had seats to upgrade, you're exactly who she would have chosen.:)

BS. I worked in NYC for a consulting firm, I worked for two of the largest banks in the US, and I worked for a Fortune 100. While ALL of them had a business attire dress code, NONE of them required women to wear a skirt or dress over slacks or a pantsuit.

I also worked in consulting and can confirm some businesses do require ladies in dresses. While working on location in VA, we were housed in offices across the street from corporate. I was informed of a meeting the following week in the main offices. My coworker on the customer side thankfully warned me to pack a skirt the following week for the meeting, saying I would be turned away at the conference room door in a panted suit. :eek:

Seriously? I'm not sure if I would want to work for a company that didn't allow pantsuits for women. I worked for a large international management consulting company in the late 80s, and I did wear skirted skirts and occasionally a dress, but that wasn't a requirement, that is just what I chose to wear. And I'm going to call BS that every professional woman in Boston wears a dress or skirted suit to work (lived in Brookline until a few years ago)...at least not if they took the T to work in the winter.

But anyway, aren't we talking about cruise attire, not what you would wear to argue a case in court?

I'm failing to see where you're differing from the comment you replied to. She also said that suits were required for court appearances. :confused:

...and what does this have to do with cruising?

I'm failing to see where you're differing from the comment you replied to. She also said that suits were required for court appearances. :confused:

Thanks for actually reading that part. :) I gave up after the last comment since it was pretty clear that it was arguing for the sake of arguing and no longer a healthy debate.

Seriously? I'm not sure if I would want to work for a company that didn't allow pantsuits for women. I worked for a large international management consulting company in the late 80s, and I did wear skirted skirts and occasionally a dress, but that wasn't a requirement, that is just what I chose to wear. And I'm going to call BS that every professional woman in Boston wears a dress or skirted suit to work (lived in Brookline until a few years ago)...at least not if they took the T to work in the winter.

But anyway, aren't we talking about cruise attire, not what you would wear to argue a case in court?

Of course, professional women wear pant suits. Nothing wrong with that at all, IMO

Hillary Clinton, as Secretary of State and Presidential Candidate, was well known for her collection of pant suits. If it is adequate for a Cabinet Member, it is sufficient for just about any other woman.

I never said women could not wear pant suits.... I did say they wear skirts/dresses and simply neglected to mention pant suits. My bad.

Edited by sail7seas

• 5 weeks later...

There is a huge difference between being comfortable and being sloppy. On the other hand, I don't believe anyone can look their best if they are in pain. When I was a child, my family was poor but we were always clean and neat and our clothes fit, as much as was possible. We were raised with the idea that dressing with care showed respect for others. Today, I refuse to wear clothing and shoes that are uncomfortable, but I am always told I look nice. I usually dress simply, whatever the level of formality, and use jewelry and accessories to suit the occasion.

After not seeing many women wearing dresses for a number of years, a few years ago, I started seeing young women wearing pretty sun dresses in warm weather at the local upscale restaurants. I started buying dresses and skirts again even tho' I need to wear a small sweater or shrug with a sundress as I am past the age where I want my upper arms to show. At least in this part of the south, dresses and skirts are now "in". Although the young women look like they are dressed for a party, unfortunately their young men often don't look like they are attending the same event.

After not seeing many women wearing dresses for a number of years, a few years ago, I started seeing young women wearing pretty sun dresses in warm weather at the local upscale restaurants. I started buying dresses and skirts again even tho' I need to wear a small sweater or shrug with a sundress as I am past the age where I want my upper arms to show. At least in this part of the south, dresses and skirts are now "in". Although the young women look like they are dressed for a party, unfortunately their young men often don't look like they are attending the same event.

I am just shy of 53 and I love to show off my upper arms. They look better than they did at 23! Anyone can have great arms, if they are willing to put the effort into having them. :)

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

There is a huge difference between being comfortable and being sloppy. On the other hand, I don't believe anyone can look their best if they are in pain. When I was a child, my family was poor but we were always clean and neat and our clothes fit, as much as was possible. We were raised with the idea that dressing with care showed respect for others. Today, I refuse to wear clothing and shoes that are uncomfortable, but I am always told I look nice. I usually dress simply, whatever the level of formality, and use jewelry and accessories to suit the occasion.

I agree--although in my opinion, almost anyone can find heels that are comfortable as long as they are willing to take the time to try on many pair.

I agree--although in my opinion, almost anyone can find heels that are comfortable as long as they are willing to take the time to try on many pair.

There are lots of people who can't wear heels for a variety of medical reasons. However, one doesn't need to wear heels to have a professional or neat appearance. There are plenty of ladies dress shoes available that look perfectly fine with suits and dresses.

Edited by lovemylab

There are lots of people who can't wear heels for a variety of medical reasons. However, one doesn't need to wear heels to have a professional or neat appearance. There are plenty of ladies dress shoes available that look perfectly fine with suits and dresses.

I never said not wearing heels would make for an unprofessional appearance--although some styles call for them and look odd with flats. I also used the word "most."

I never said not wearing heels would make for an unprofessional appearance--although some styles call for them and look odd with flats. I also used the word "most."

I think you may have misunderstood my post. I was not implying that you said that. My comments about heels not needed for a professional appearance was more a general comment and was not directed at you. I meant to put that sentence in its own paragraph.

I was disagreeing with your statement that "almost anyone can find heels that are comfortable as long as they are willing to take the time to try on many pair". I know a lot of people who can't wear heels and it has nothing to do with not taking the time to find the right pair. It's due to medical reasons.

Btw, you did not use the word "most". You used the term "almost anyone", which to me has a different meaning.

Edited by lovemylab