New menus and ***** !!!!!

trebork

Was on the breeze and glory last 2 weeks.

No one knew anything on the breeze but on the glory the maitre'd confirmed to me that new menus role out dec 6th.

Then during "behind the fun tour " found out from HR person that table linen will be gone during all evenings except "formal" nights

Sorry if this was already posted somewhere on my phone now.

Are they going to put higher quality food on it, or more add even more downgrades to cafeteria style food like they did the last time with the burgers, fried chicken, and meatloaf they added last time?

I will not be surprised if one day they make the MDR a buffet....

I wonder if the dining changes will be fleet wide immediately? I cruise the Triumph December 12th and would welcome some tasty new offerings with open arms. :D

Sent via my Samsung Galaxy S4 using the Cruise Critic forums application.

Edited by bktaylor30

I am on the Conquest on the 15th....hope to hear some more details

I have seen the tables under the cloths...and they are very banquet looking LOL...

Maybe Carnival is planning to let Guy put his diner/drive ins and dive menu in the MDR too?? Or picnic style like at the southern Barbque restaurants??

Maybe we can all sit at picnic tables like at Guys ???

I am on the Conquest on the 15th....hope to hear some more details

I have seen the tables under the cloths...and they are very banquet looking LOL...

Maybe Carnival is planning to let Guy put his diner/drive ins and dive menu in the MDR too?? Or picnic style like at the southern Barbque restaurants??

Maybe we can all sit at picnic tables like at Guys ???

I don't knock Carnival much, but removal of table cloths is over the top for me.

I'll be on the Triumph in January... WOW!!! The menu changes will be fun... no table linens... Hummmmm... Not so sure that's a good thing!!!

I come to expect that at dinner -- I wouldn't care at breakfast/brunch or breakfast...

Bit for Tea Time and dinner -- even I use tablecloths at home!!! Maybe not white... but it makes dinner different!!

Agreed. I'm not a formal person but would never serve a nice meal on a table with no tablecloth.

Agreed. I can't imagine going into the MDR and seeing no tablecloth. Wonder what the new tables will look like?

This does not sit well with me.

Until I hear it officially, I just can't believe they would do away with table linen! It's one of the important things that sets the atmosphere when eating in the MDR.

I know it may seem a little thing to some but it really would show a lowering in the standards and one that I would find very sad. It would definitely effect the way I feel about the brand.

Most won't agree, but tablecloths are currently considered "out of date" and old fashioned in the restaurant world. Very few places use them any more. It's considered much more environmentally friendly as well.

As long as the food and service are good I don't really care if there are tablecloths or not.

There are lots of fine dining places around that no longer use them, either.

Normally I try not to respond to MDR postings but this one threw me for a loop. I can't imagine all of those fancy plates and glasses sitting on a table with no linen. What about germs if they hap-hazzardly wipe them down between meals.

The harder surface is less likely to harbor germs than linen which must be washed at a high enough temp to kill things and holds those germs in the fibers if something gets on them (think a waiter sneezing during table setup.)

For me, truly, it's not about germs... heck, they collect un-used dishes and silver (or ones they assume are unused) from our tables and use them to set the next table -- I think germs would come from there first...

It's about atmosphere and ambience!

A Horn and Hardart's AutoMat style of restaurant may not be too far on the horizon for Carnival.

Automat.jpg

My grandfather worked there in the 1930s. When he developed dementia later on in his life, that is all he ever talked about like he was still working there. Memories...:)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The harder surface is less likely to harbor germs than linen which must be washed at a high enough temp to kill things and holds those germs in the fibers if something gets on them (think a waiter sneezing during table setup.)

How do you explain all those years on all those ships using tablecloths with no problems?

Perhaps a table with no cloth on it would be germ free in theory, but not reality. Is every table cleaned with a one time use cloth? Likely not, but the visual appearance would look clean.