Fresh Off Westerdam - Not Good :(

andilynnwright

Don't be so fast to attribute the negative experiences to the cyclone. We didn't care for the Westerdam at all, and that was in September well before the tragedy in the Philippines. The biggest negatives we encountered were extremely poor service in the MDR at breakfast and lunch, and the (IMO) generally nonchalant and dismissive attitude from much of the staff. We were surprised, because we loved the Noordam and expected to have a similar experience on the Westerdam.

Everyone's expectations and experiences are different. One can have a perfect cabin while someone on another deck encounters numerous problems. I could have poor service in the MDR while someone at the next table could have stellar service.

We (meaning everyone on Cruise Critic) need to allow people to post their experiences, both positive and negative, without them being made to feel like they're not welcome here, their opinion isn't valued, or can be easily justified.

Never once did I dismiss the OP's experience. Nor am I dismissing yours. I am merely stating what "I THINK" When I think of the service or lack thereof on my cruises and what "I THINK" when I read negative reviews.

Yes, we are all entitled to our opinions and I have mine of Noordam, not that great... BUT for you it was so you are entitled to have your absolutely wonderful opinion of Noordam and I am entitled to feel the ship, not the staff or crew was less than stellar for me.

As to making people feel they are not welcome here, I do not see how my thought(s) anywhere in this thread could be read as unwelcome:confused:

I expect that my rose colored glasses are tinted in favor of my 2 favorite ships, Zuiderdam and Westerdam and the same rose colored glasses came off super fast for both Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam. BUT, THOSE are my opinions which I, like yourself and everyone else, is entitled to not only have, but also to post on these boards.

Does get a bit tiring to have to defend my thoughts, when I post them anymore from a few CC members who are allowed to post their negative thoughts and yet I am attacked for posting my own thoughts in the nicest possible way:confused::(

Have a nice day Cindy:)

Joanie

AMEN!!! and [ATTACH]295659[/ATTACH]

With your attitude Sherilyn you will so enjoy your cruise on my 2nd favorite ship in HAL's fleet!!!

When I read the OP and the post by others on the same cruise, good and bad, I kept in mind that these wonderful people who waited on all during that time frame and even later, had been undergoing tremendous worries of their family and friends at home due to the largest cyclone (or whatever it is called) to ever hit. I know that one of my adopted sons (55 now call me Mommie) on Zuiderdam had to be sent home by HAL because his home had been completely destroyed:( Thankfully his family made it through alright, but barely.

So, when I think about lack of attention by any staff or crew, I wonder what is going on in their life that might be causing less than stellar service for me.

But like I said, with your attitude, you will thoroughly enjoy the cruise and revel in the memories:)

Joanie

Maybe you should tell them your real name.

Have a nice day.:)

We (meaning everyone on Cruise Critic) need to allow people to post their experiences, both positive and negative, without them being made to feel like they're not welcome here, their opinion isn't valued, or can be easily justified.

I went back and reread some of the threads where posters expressed being disrespected. Many of them seem to bemoan the fact that anyone might disagree with them and accuse the "disagreer" of being mean. Being thin skinned to opposing opinions is sure to ensure an unpleasant experience on ANY chat boards.

This is a chat board - and anonymous as well. There are some who post here to cause controversy. There are those who emphasize the negative until an outsider would believe some ships are nightmares ... which they are not.

Not everything is perfect but balanced posts should be the norm that's strived for.

Don't be so fast to attribute the negative experiences to the cyclone. We didn't care for the Westerdam at all, and that was in September well before the tragedy in the Philippines. The biggest negatives we encountered were extremely poor service in the MDR at breakfast and lunch, and the (IMO) generally nonchalant and dismissive attitude from much of the staff. We were surprised, because we loved the Noordam and expected to have a similar experience on the Westerdam.

Everyone's expectations and experiences are different. One can have a perfect cabin while someone on another deck encounters numerous problems. I could have poor service in the MDR while someone at the next table could have stellar service.

I had the same experience on the Westerdam in April 2011. I think it's the worst service that I've had for a long time although it wasn't stellar on the NA in nov 2012 either. I'm kinda worried about my cruise on the Westerdam in a

April 2014 but I'm ready to try it. I find it annoying when some folks post their experience as gospel and it anyone disagrees then watch out.

Never once did I dismiss the OP's experience. Nor am I dismissing yours. I am merely stating what "I THINK" When I think of the service or lack thereof on my cruises and what "I THINK" when I read negative reviews.

Yes, we are all entitled to our opinions and I have mine of Noordam, not that great... BUT for you it was so you are entitled to have your absolutely wonderful opinion of Noordam and I am entitled to feel the ship, not the staff or crew was less than stellar for me.

As to making people feel they are not welcome here, I do not see how my thought(s) anywhere in this thread could be read as unwelcome:confused:

I expect that my rose colored glasses are tinted in favor of my 2 favorite ships, Zuiderdam and Westerdam and the same rose colored glasses came off super fast for both Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam. BUT, THOSE are my opinions which I, like yourself and everyone else, is entitled to not only have, but also to post on these boards.

Does get a bit tiring to have to defend my thoughts, when I post them anymore from a few CC members who are allowed to post their negative thoughts and yet I am attacked for posting my own thoughts in the nicest possible way:confused::(

Have a nice day Cindy:)

Joanie

The problem with saying "have a nice day", Joanie is that, over the years it has evolved into a very sarcastic throwaway line. I never use it anymore in my day to day speech or writing. I find it hurtful when I read what seems to be a nice friendly clarification which leaves me feeling enlightened only to see it end up with the equivalent of "Bless your heart". Leaving that salutation off your posts will remove the bite.:)

We will be on the Westerdam in seven more months to Alaska and confident in the high probability that it will be a good cruise.

It was pointed out by the Cruise Director on our last Westerdam cruise that the the "Westy" has the highest rate of returning passengers of any other HAL ship. It also has the highest number of returning crew members in the HAL fleet.

The bolding is mine. Just a correction. The cruise director may have said this as has the captain but when he made the statement he explained that the Prinsendam was not included in their statement. I"m surprised that the cruise director did not do the same.

The Westerdam has the second highest rate of returning passengers and crew. Not the highest. The Prinsendam carries that honour

Edited by kazu

The problem with saying "have a nice day", Joanie is that, over the years it has evolved into a very sarcastic throwaway line. I never use it anymore in my day to day speech or writing. I find it hurtful when I read what seems to be a nice friendly clarification which leaves me feeling enlightened only to see it end up with the equivalent of "Bless your heart". Leaving that salutation off your posts will remove the bite.:)

I find that expression to be really overused here. I always find it strange when someone says that at night. Isn't it too late for that or do they mean for the next day?

Sorry to hear that things were not good on the Westerdam. We cruised on that ship for 49 days in the past year and would also agree with some (not all) of your observations and experiences. One can scroll through the HAL forum and see other related topics about cut-backs on the line and we think that it has (unfortunately) taken a huge bite out of HALs previous high grades. We continue to cruise on some HAL cruises despite obvious negatives, but do find ourselves gravitating towards other cruise lines unless HAL has an itinerary that we can not pass-up despite other issues.

Hank

No opinion should be discounted - either good or bad. The poster is taking the time to post their own experience, and as such it should be respected. Not denied, or followed with such statements as "I will find out the true facts" or some-such, as if it is not to be believed. It is ill-mannered to imply that anyone would come on here to lie. Just take it at face value, and if it's a bad review, thank your stars you had a better experience. When someone has had a bad cruise experience, no one cares how many days you have cruised, what kind of cabin you book, or how many crew and officers you claim to know personally.

Edited by startwin

I have never understood the great need by some to defend the cruise line. It happens on all. If I take a trip and have problems or my expectations are not meet I say it here. If you take a trip, even the same trip and all is 1000% you say it here. That does not make any of us a fibber or create the need for any of us to justify our experience IMO.

No opinion should be discounted - either good or bad. The poster is taking the time to post their own experience, and as such it should be respected. Not denied, or followed with such statements as "I will find out the true facts" or some-such, as if it is not to be believed. It is ill-mannered to imply that anyone would come on here to lie. Just take it at face value, and if it's a bad review, thank your stars you had a better experience. When someone has had a bad cruise experience, no one cares how many days you have cruised, what kind of cabin you book, or how many crew and officers to claim to know personally.

Applause:D

Well said.

No opinion should be discounted - either good or bad. The poster is taking the time to post their own experience, and as such it should be respected. Not denied, or followed with such statements as "I will find out the true facts" or some-such, as if it is not to be believed. It is ill-mannered to imply that anyone would come on here to lie. Just take it at face value, and if it's a bad review, thank your stars you had a better experience. When someone has had a bad cruise experience, no one cares how many days you have cruised, what kind of cabin you book, or how many crew and officers to claim to know personally.

Or you can choose, as I do, to just consider the source of the post or the poster's identity and move on ;) What some posters say has absolutely no effect on the evolution of my planet!

Would you have preferred a mad face, a sarcastic grin or have me say something less nicely? My way of speaking/writing is my way, the same as yours is yours. I will never tell you the better thing to say no matter how much nicer it might come across to me.

Plain and simple I'd much rather say "Have a nice Day" to any and all than to say some of the things I feel like saying at times or the things that have been thrown at me recently.

I was raised old school where you were taught never to end a conversation, oral or written on a bad note, therefore I use niceties such as Have a Nice to end those posts that get me riled as an outlet that allows me to leave the thread and head on to whatever I wish to do next with a calmer head and fingers:)

I'm sorry that you feel I was being bitter. Try placing me on your IGNORE List and you will not have to read what I post:)

Joanie

No opinion should be discounted - either good or bad. The poster is taking the time to post their own experience, and as such it should be respected. Not denied, or followed with such statements as "I will find out the true facts" or some-such, as if it is not to be believed. It is ill-mannered to imply that anyone would come on here to lie. Just take it at face value, and if it's a bad review, thank your stars you had a better experience. When someone has had a bad cruise experience, no one cares how many days you have cruised, what kind of cabin you book, or how many crew and officers you claim to know personally.

Bravo! Nicely stated!:)

Would you have preferred a mad face, a sarcastic grin or have me say something less nicely? My way of speaking/writing is my way, the same as yours is yours. I will never tell you the better thing to say no matter how much nicer it might come across to me.

Plain and simple I'd much rather say "Have a nice Day" to any and all than to say some of the things I feel like saying at times or the things that have been thrown at me recently.

I was raised old school where you were taught never to end a conversation, oral or written on a bad note, therefore I use niceties such as Have a Nice to end those posts that get me riled as an outlet that allows me to leave the thread and head on to whatever I wish to do next with a calmer head and fingers:)

I'm sorry that you feel I was being bitter. Try placing me on your IGNORE List and you will not have to read what I post:)

Joanie

I don't want to put you on ignore as I value what you have to say. I will just have to accept that you are not interested in conciliatory overtures and let it go at that. I was so disappointed that you are considering cancelling what is shaping up to be a great Westerdam cruise as I was looking forward to meeting you.

I think the HAL board is the worst for this sort of personal stuff. This is about taking a trip on a ship, did you like it, how was the food ect. Answering questions and helping each other have a great trip. If a cruise line is so personal to you then buy it, live on it but in IMHO do not bring it here. Part of the reason I am turned off to HAL is because of people here telling me I am nuts when I talk about a broken toilet on no AC, and in fact say it can not be HAL I must of plugged it up or left the door open.

<snip> I was raised old school where you were taught never to end a conversation, oral or written on a bad note <snip>Joanie

I was too Joanie. Cute note -> When my DD was in junior high we moved and she went from a Catholic School to the Public School. A couple of weeks later I received a phone call from the office that she was bad-mouthing her English teacher. When I asked what she said the reply was "she keeps calling him Sir." My point is, we all talk different, we all write different, we all communicate differently. Let's all try to remember that ... and let's stick to cruising talk please and leave personalities out of it. Thanks and have a nice day. :D

Edited by Linda&Vern

I think the HAL board is the worst for this sort of personal stuff. This is about taking a trip on a ship, did you like it, how was the food ect. Answering questions and helping each other have a great trip. If a cruise line is so personal to you then buy it, live on it but in IMHO do not bring it here. Part of the reason I am turned off to HAL is because of people here telling me I am nuts when I talk about a broken toilet on no AC, and in fact say it can not be HAL I must of plugged it up or left the door open.

I would never suggest you must have plugged the toilet up or left your door open if the AC doesn't work. People who have not had any issues are just plain lucky. If they cruise enough, problems will find them. I believe people's experiences 99% of the time.

A lot of we regulars on the HAL board have cruised together or have chatted for so many years we feel as though we know each other. CC certainly adds to the onboard experience and when people know each other well it's hard to pretend we don't. It would be very cold and sterile here without interaction with cruising friends and I know I would not bother coming here if we couldn't chat about happy cruise times and joke with each other a bit.

I think you don't see it so much on the large ship boards is because of sheer numbers of posters. People really don't get to know one another there.

Edited by sapper1

Let's stand back and reflect a minute on the notion of message board discussions.

The Cruise Critic message board is provided as an opportunity for Members to discuss what we all feel is our favorite leisure activity, cruising. There is no place for these discussions to devolve into negative characterizations of other Members.

The overarching notion is that the message board discussions can be compared to table chat at an 8 or 10 top in the MDR among fellow cruisers. Normal interaction can include differing opinions and different attitudes but seldom do they devolve to name calling and ad hominem personal attacks.

We have had to remove several posts that cross the line in an emotional sense and others that are just simply off topic.

We are very reluctant removing any posts made by any members at any time, but for reasons that are unclear, this thread has attracted an unusual level of animus that have resulted in a number of post removals.

Please spend a few minutes reading through our Guidelines before posting anything further that single out another member in a negative light.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.

Getting really nervous about our Jan 11 trip on the Westerdam.

Haven't sailed HAL in about 10 years - have done only Regent & Lindblad since then.

Not worried about the Service issues - much of that is subjective, and is based on expectations, and how one reacts & interacts with others.

BUT - what really worries me are the many comments on A/C issues. SOme of it seems inconsistent to me.

We'll be in a suite near the Neptune lounge. We like it VERY COLD in the room at night.

I've read of the many A/C issues - but I wonder just how many issues there really are? Are they actually turning off the A/C at night via motion sensors? In all the cabins?

Some people like it warm, but I see some comments about vents being closed in some cases. Why? Even if a person likes it warm, why would they need the vents closed? Turn the temp higher, or turn A/C off. Or are there No thermostats?

Can the balcony door be left open at night for air?

Do we need to bring with our own fan?

Yes, it "can", but it shouldn't. Leaving the balcony door open cuts off the AC? to every other cabin on the same line. That may include inside and outside cabins of those who also like it "VERY COLD in the room at night".

Haven't sailed HAL in about 10 years - have done only Regent & Lindblad since then.

Not worried about the Service issues - much of that is subjective, and is based on expectations, and how one reacts & interacts with others.

BUT - what really worries me are the many comments on A/C issues. SOme of it seems inconsistent to me.

We'll be in a suite near the Neptune lounge. We like it VERY COLD in the room at night.

I've read of the many A/C issues - but I wonder just how many issues there really are? Are they actually turning off the A/C at night via motion sensors? In all the cabins?

Some people like it warm, but I see some comments about vents being closed in some cases. Why? Even if a person likes it warm, why would they need the vents closed? Turn the temp higher, or turn A/C off. Or are there No thermostats?

RuthC answered about the verandah door question so I will only tell you our experiences with Fans on HAL. Since you are in a Suite ask the Neptune Lounge Concierge for a Fan and extension cord. The Room steward will set it up where you want it and Voila:)

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Yes, it "can", but it shouldn't. Leaving the balcony door open cuts off the AC? to every other cabin on the same line. That may include inside and outside cabins of those who also like it "VERY COLD in the room at night".

YIKES - so if some neighbor leaves his door open to get fresh air, I get no A/C?

I have read that some people block off the vents because they are located over the bed and there is no way to turn off the flow of air. You can adjust the temperature but you can't turn it off.

As to the door opening may I second what Ruth said. One open balcony door can make life miserable for those in inside and ocean view cabins.