Crime on cruise lines???

CruiseAddict1982

The bad thing about a cruise is....you are NOT in America, or your home country. Your normal laws and investigative procedures do NOT apply.

The FBI has lead on cruise ships operating out of the U.S., and several other federal and state agencies also have limited criminal jurisdiction, so yes, in most cases, normal laws and investigative procedures do apply.

Just curious if anyone has seen or heard of crimes on any cruise ships. For the most part I feel safe but I'm sure something bad happens on the ship especially when there's lots of drinking going on.

everything from assault and petty theft to rape and murder. if it happens on land, it can happen on a ship. and drinking does not have to be the root cause or impetus.

Just curious if anyone has seen or heard of crimes on any cruise ships. For the most part I feel safe but I'm sure something bad happens on the ship especially when there's lots of drinking going on.

As of August 2013 Royal Caribbean Cruises, Carnival Cruise Corporation and Norwegian Cruise lines began reporting crime statistics on their websites. Here's the link to the article : http://intransit.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/05/cruise-lines-report-crime-statistics/?_r=0

Of course! It's a small city! Drinking plays a big part but it isn't the only reason. We've seen people in handcuffs before especially around customs. Drugs, fights, theft... Of course cruise lines don't like to publicize this but what company would make know of their downfalls. Yes you are on vacation but you still have to be aware of your surroundings and what's going on. And of course there is a ton of crime once people step off of the ship into the ports that you don't hear about.

"And of course there is a ton of crime once people step off of the ship into the ports that you don't hear about"

Now I am really nervous! lol

Knock on Wood!!

Twenty+ cruises and I've never witnessed a crime except maybe some very bad pool and/or dining room attire. Not saying it doesn't happen but it's a rare occurrence.
Some of the dining room attire I've witnessed over the years has been downright felonious!.....K.O.:)

Being that there's so many people on the cruise ship and the ports, you would think people would act right. There's tone of cameras and lots of witnesses everywhere u go. I'm always aware of my surroundings and I follow my wife everywhere.

You'd have to be pretty bored to want to fight on a cruise ship.

Sometimes the perpetrators are not passengers.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/disney-cruise-line-fails-to-promptly-report-molestation-of-11yearold-girl-in-port/-/1637132/20230880/-/1hbk90z/-/index.html

It is amazing that the cruise line did not suffer major PR from this.

Having grown up in NYC, I remember the words of my mother who always told me -- be aware of your surroundings wherever you go; don't put yourself into foolish situations; protect your own belongings and don't take unnecessary risks; ALWAYS use common sense -- fi you feel uncertain, then don't but yourself into that situation.

Those words work whether on land or on a cruise ship or anyplace in between.

These cruise ships are big, and getting bigger cities.

Here's my story: We were on a Princess cruise with family and friends. My daughter's friend joined us. J was around 30 and a longshoremen - you know the guys that tie your ship up in port. She is almost 6 feet tall. She's worked around some tough guys and doesn't freak easiliy.

So on the cruise this guy around 50 comes up to her and tells her that she is beautiful (which she is). Says he is travelling with his mother but would she be willing to come back to his cabin for him to take photos of her. Grossed her out and she left. The next day he approached her again. My daughter showed up shortly after and he started making comments to her as well. I showed up a few minutes later. We were in the photo gallery at the time so we went over and told the photographers about the creepy guy. He made a call. We were told to wait to help identify the guy.

Well, we waited and waited and waited. Finally after around 25-30 minutes we said, "umm, what's going on?" This guy was creepy and we didn't want him approaching someone less savvy but what was the delay. We thought it was strange no security came to talk to us. The photographer told us that the delay was because senior staff were on the bridge discussing what to do about the guy. Our complaint was being taken very seriously.

Shortly afterwards, a security guy shows up. We point the guy out and we leave. A while later we see the guy again and he has a "shadow". A crew member was following and observing. After that day we never saw the guy again. We were actually impressed how seriously Princess took our concerns.

There is crime everywhere, even in your own home. Probably no more or less on a cruise ship.

DON

Only difference is at home they report crime in newspapers, television and online! The only thing you hear about cruises on television are the deals they have and the cruise ships that had engine trouble or whatever the problem was. It's hard to find real and correct info on cruise crime.

Only difference is at home they report crime in newspapers, television and online! The only thing you hear about cruises on television are the deals they have and the cruise ships that had engine trouble or whatever the problem was. It's hard to find real and correct info on cruise crime.

In general, yes. But how do you learn crime stats specific to a large, land-based resort? The only way is to pull public records from the local police. It's not just out there...you would have to do your own research. Cruise ships are no different. Crime stats are reported to the FBI. If you want to know the info specific to a ship or a cruise line, you would have to do the same thing...research it through the competant law enforcement agency...in this case, FBI.

In general, yes. But how do you learn crime stats specific to a large, land-based resort? The only way is to pull public records from the local police. It's not just out there...you would have to do your own research. Cruise ships are no different. Crime stats are reported to the FBI. If you want to know the info specific to a ship or a cruise line, you would have to do the same thing...research it through the competant law enforcement agency...in this case, FBI.

Exactly like I stated earlier it's hard to find real and Correct info!

I worked on an NCL ship for about two years. Over the course of my time with NCL there were a few drunken fights here and there that I had heard about, but never really much to report. There was only one incident that was actually serious - a passenger had brought drugs aboard the ship from one of the ports and was caught by security while the ship was at sea. That resulted in the passenger being held in the on-board "prison" (more of a secure room with a camera in it) until we got to the next port at which time he was released to local authorities.

I do not recall the country where the passenger was released, but I don't imagine it being a good situation for the passenger.

I worked on an NCL ship for about two years. Over the course of my time with NCL there were a few drunken fights here and there that I had heard about, but never really much to report. There was only one incident that was actually serious - a passenger had brought drugs aboard the ship from one of the ports and was caught by security while the ship was at sea. That resulted in the passenger being held in the on-board "prison" (more of a secure room with a camera in it) until we got to the next port at which time he was released to local authorities.

I do not recall the country where the passenger was released, but I don't imagine it being a good situation for the passenger.

That's dumb of the passenger to bring drugs from another country on a cruise. Is that high worth it? Doubt it

Years ago on a Celebrity cruise, my dh and I became acquainted with a woman in the hot tub. She had a young boy with her. It was her first cruise. She was young, good looking and wearing a bikini. Anyway, she stood out a bit compared to other passengers who mostly seemed like couples. She was very sweet, but seemed naïve.

After one of the ports we encountered her again. In the hot tub. She proceeded to tell us that she had an unsettling experience. She had gone on the cruise at the invitation of a man she had met not long before, maybe a week. He was very charming and told her she would take her son and her on a cruise. According to her, he was arrested upon trying to board the ship after the port stop b/c he had purchased illegal drugs and tried to bring them on board. We surmised he was using them as a cover, especially the child. In any case, she got a free cruise out of it.

Koohiichan

"Naive" doesn't even begin to describe this young lady, if the story she told you is accurate. One of her primary responsibilities as a single parent (which I am assuming she was) is to protect her son -- and she failed miserably. Agreeing to do something as "intimate" as go on a cruise with a man you've only known a week could have put the boy (not to mention herself) in grave danger. I've read too many stories about "Mommy's new boyfriend" to think that what she did could have possibly been a good idea.

She should count herself lucky that the man was arrested and thus removed from her and her son's presence. If she's smart, there won't be a "next time"; she'll put the welfare of her son above her own desires, and she won't go on a cruise with someone she's only known for a week. And if she's not smart . . . well, all I can say is, I hope her luck holds out.