RCCL selling Rhapsody and Legend?

What!? I certainly hope not! I loved my Rhapsody cruise. She's one of the newer Vision class ships and they just spent around $55million revitalizing her. Plus she's heading up to the Med from 2015. I doubt she's going to be leaving the fleet. Majesty will be next to leave the fleet and then probably Legend and Serenade after that.

What!? I certainly hope not! I loved my Rhapsody cruise. She's one of the newer Vision class ships and they just spent around $55million revitalizing her. Plus she's heading up to the Med from 2015. I doubt she's going to be leaving the fleet. Majesty will be next to leave the fleet and then probably Legend and Serenade after that.

Serenade? Why do you say that? She isn't even that old. We have sailed her twice, great ship and crew both times.

I hope so, at least the Legend! We just send 15 nights on the Legend! If it had been my 1st cruise with RCCL I probably would not sail again!

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your time on the Legend. Our family spent 14 days on her in May and had a lovely time. We have rebooked to sail her again this May in Norway :) I hope she stays with the company for a long time to come.

The Majesty has scheduled sailings until March of 2015. As far as the vision class ships go others have already posted they have just spent a ton of money upgrading these. Even with all the new ships coming on-line in the next 4 years I doubt that any of the Vision class ships will be sold as they fill a unique niche in RCI's market and can visit many ports that the larger ships cannot. Also many of their cruises are longer and do not appeal to the large numbers of passengers that are required to fill the newer ships.

We just took a 13 day TA on the Legend. We enjoyed our trip! There were a few things that still needed to be fixed--but, overall it is a nice ship.

The Vision ships can sail to places the newer/bigger ships can not. Itineraries would begin to all look alike if they only sailed big ships.

I doubt RCL is in a hurry to sell these ships. Even with spending several M$ on each for a refit--they are a bargain compared to a new build.

You just did the Panama Canal cruise ? What was wrong (briefly) ?

I'll speak up on it. I had a tremendous time on our canal cruise but the ship and sometimes the crew was not the best experience. The refurbished areas are nice but they don't take care of the basics. Wooden railings is sore need of a new coat of varnish, running rust in some exterior areas. Reports of plumbing issues in the lower decks, thankfully we were on deck 8.

there were also complaints from friends of ours as to constant soot on the aft balconies.

The crew seemed disjointed for lack of a better word. Several times I witnessed arguing in front of passengers, that was a first for me. :eek:

Twice I tried to order blended drinks in the theater prior to shows. Both times the waiter (different one for each instance) cane back without my drink and began serving another area. When I did get the opportunity to flag them down and ask about my drink they said what I wanted was not available. Not sure why they didn't take the initiative to tell me without prompting.

Also had issues about the poorly run MTD on Legend that I wrote about in my blog that took intervention from Guest Services.

Not to be totally negative about the crew, our wait staff was great and our cabin steward the best. :)

I realize the crew complaints have nothing to do with the ship other than possibly the ship conditions/size/location may contribute to the attitude.

Just want to finish by saying this was still one of our favorite cruises as the ports and canal outweighed any of the negatives a hundred fold. :D

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Reviews are like buying products at the grocery store, you read the list of ingredients to see if it is worth buying. The first item is the main ingredient.

A review where the first item on the list is varnish on a railing, well, its going back on the shelf unread:rolleyes::cool:

Wouldn't it be nice if Royal would build a couple NEW smaller ships?

YES

I think the Oasis class is amazing, but like I said on another post a couple of months ago, there are only some ports that can accomodate them. What will happen when eventually -in a long term of course- there are nothing but mega ships on the RCL fleet? People will have to just take it or leave it and switch to other line.

I would not sail in any class below Radiance. They might be refurbished but even when refurbished the decor is the same, staterooms etc, and it does look outdated. All the colors and figures and everything does not look cool anymore. I wish they did a make over on the ships common area, if they made it look like NCL or MSC -get rid of so many colors and patterns everywhere- it would look amazing.

A new Vision sized size, with brand new ships, would be AMAZING and a lot of people would turn their heads to RCL Im sure.

Reviews are like buying products at the grocery store, you read the list of ingredients to see if it is worth buying. The first item is the main ingredient.

A review where the first item on the list is varnish on a railing, well, its going back on the shelf unread:rolleyes::cool:

LOL, sorry if I didn't list them in your preferred order.

LOL, sorry if I didn't list them in your preferred order.

Also rust and a lack of a good coat of varnish may be indicators of larger maintenance issues. When you can't even maintain the basics in the customer facing areas.... :rolleyes:

Wouldn't it be nice if Royal would build a couple NEW smaller ships?

If they do build some new smaller ships, I suspect they would go to Azamara. On the Royal side, they seem committed to more passengers per ship. I'm guessing their financial numbers from Oasis/Allure are pretty good seeing that they are considering building 3 more ships of that class.

I don't see that happening considering what they recently spent on those two ships. Do you have links for those posts? I would like to see their source.

The source was a CC member who is talking about booking Rhapsody's last cruise. I am not going to post a link because I wouldn't want the person being called out for incorrect info, if it is in fact incorrect. Here is a quote-

"Also, we have booked ourselves on a repositioning on Rhapsody. She will be in our waters for the 2014-15 summer, but instead of returning to do the Alaska run she is being sold to cruise B2B2B Sydney-Singapore, Singapore-Dubai, Dubai-Turkey.

We are booked on the Singapore-Dubai-Turkey B2B taking in Malaysia, Thailand, Sri Lanka, India (west coast), Dubai (overnight) then on to Muscat in Oman, Salalah also in Oman, Suez Canal, Jerusalem, Haifa, Limassol in Cyprus, Rhodes, Greece and overnight in Istanbul.

Two canals in two years - :D:D - an opportunity not to be missed."

The post on Legend I had just read last night, and said pretty much the same sort of info that was posted about Rhapsody in above quote.

The only reason I asked the question was because I had seen pretty much the same info posted by two different people, about two different Vision class ships, and it caught my attention since our first cruise was on Rhapsody, which we love, and our next cruise is on Legend.

I love the size of these ships so my question was one of concern, not trying to stir any sort of a pot. :)

I did notice a few maintenance issues on Legend when we were on it in November.

Here is a picture of our balcony railing. I did not include this pic in my review because it did not impact our cruise enjoyment in any way.

PB050146_zps4b3cd22b.jpg

But, I would have thought they would have replaced this when they did the refurb. . . . and the metal in the missing area was very rusted.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas