Arcadia's refit

the english lady

I was betting that as chief apologist for P & O that you would be the first to respond DaiB, looks like I won my bet.

Love the way that anyone who says anything against you have to have a derisory title. Perhaps if you got your facts right in the first place I would not have replied.

If P&O had built some "leeway" in the timings for a refit if there had not been poor weather and strong winds then the next cruise would have been ok. Then P&O would have however many days they have counted in as a "leeway" spare just in case with a refitted ship and no cruise and not making any money. Cruise ships like aeroplanes are no good if they are not being operated and not making money for the company.

Having read all of this debate (and I don't see any necessity for the aggressive comments!) I would now be reluctant to book a short cruise scheduled immediately after a refit. OK there were refunds, and apologies, but that doesn't help if your leave pattern isn't flexible.

And as an 0843 number is costly, I wouldn't be calling it. I would be using the website which gives you local rate alternatives. Using a high cost number rather adds insult to injury.

Having read all of this debate (and I don't see any necessity for the aggressive comments!) I would now be reluctant to book a short cruise scheduled immediately after a refit. OK there were refunds, and apologies, but that doesn't help if your leave pattern isn't flexible.

And as an 0843 number is costly, I wouldn't be calling it. I would be using the website which gives you local rate alternatives. Using a high cost number rather adds insult to injury.

0843 no's are 5p/min. hardly costly.

so lots of sorrys - I think that is a total result and which ever cruise you book on I hope you enjoy yourself.

I just hope it's all still clean and shiney when we are aboard her (1st time) next year.:D:D:D:D

Sorry - not been on here for a while. Thank you for that. I have booked the same itinerary aboard Oriana at Easter next year. As I had booked a balcony on Arcadia, I have got myself one of those lovely balcony cabins on Oriana too :).

Have you asked P&O if they will refund the additional costs? We had a cruise cancelled last year and they also refunded the cost of our hotel the night prior to the cruise. We had booked a non-refundable room (our choice, we took the risk as prices lower) but they still refunded it. Yes I was disappointed at the cruise being cancelled but they handled it as well as I could have expected.

I had booked an overnight stay at the Holiday Inn on loyalty points, which are refunded on cancellation. I am waiting to hear from CPS if they are still charging me - I think they normally don't if the cruise is cancelled. Or perhaps they will just transfer the booking to next April!

... We did enquire about transferring to the similar cruise on Aurora that was leaving later in the week but this was already fully booked and P & O were unable to offer any other short break cruise earlier than summer of next year...

I am sorry to see this was for such a special event - it does make it all the worse for you. I am also very surprised to read the above. When I called P&O on the Tuesday evening, I was offered the Aurora cruise on 19/12 but did not want it as it was too close to Christmas for me. I then booked Oriana for 18th April next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an official video of the refit. Shows a bit, perhaps not as much as we'd all want to see!

http://youtu.be/ar02r5Zjacg

I'm quite surprised over the changes to the Crows Nest. I quite liked those seats around the windows (even if they were a hot ticket to get on a busy night!)

The refurb to the shop was also a big surprise, hopefully they've eliminated the bottleneck that always occurred there.

As I posted last night on another thread I am regretting booking P & O not because of the Company but because of the people who may be on my cruise! I think the phrase is "its all about me!!! I understand where you are coming from as my husband and I also had our own business and know the stresses and strains to try and get a holiday booked. Sorry it spoiled your wedding anniversary.

Here's an official video of the refit. Shows a bit, perhaps not as much as we'd all want to see!

http://youtu.be/ar02r5Zjacg

I'm quite surprised over the changes to the Crows Nest. I quite liked those seats around the windows (even if they were a hot ticket to get on a busy night!)

The refurb to the shop was also a big surprise, hopefully they've eliminated the bottleneck that always occurred there.

Thanks for the link, interesting. We were on Arcadia WC last year, well second half anyway and will be on her in April, looking forward to seeing the changes. At last they have got rid of those tiny TV's. !! I am glad they did not put MUTS up on the top deck, I just hate that on the Princess ships.

Yeah those TV's were prime for replacement. Last time I was on I thought flat screens on the wall was the way to go.

I presume they've replaced them in all cabins, but I wonder where they've put them in the likes of the insides? They don't have the wall space available for the TV.. unless they've replaced the whole mirror unit.