Reflection Dress Code....Just Back!!!

thephillykid

Maybe Celebrity can start giving points to those who dress formal on formal nights.

Points??? To heck with points! We don't need to dress up for no stinkin' POINTS!!! :eek:

I enjoy wearing a tux. I owe it to the women on the cruise to provide them with "eye candy."

Then, suddenly, there was the sound of many trumpets...:confused:

The raging wind was stilled, and the turbulent seas were calmed...

The clouds parted and glorious enlightenment shown down from above! :)

Oh, great and all knowing fashion police... Oh, ye omnipotent gods of fashion and style, I have now seen the error of my ways!

From this moment forward, I too, shall wear a TUX!!! :cool:

Jeez... if ya just woulda said that in the first place...

Edited by teecee60

We got off the reflection last weekend and I had to write this post after reading many posts prior to us sailing Thanksgiving week. We had late seating at dinner.

The first night, many people were in shorts and extremely casual clothing in opus [the main dining room], which is to be expected as many people had not gotten their luggage especially early seating.

The second night was the 1st formal night, and I wore my tuxedo and my dw had on a very nice dressy dress. I walked into the mdr and looked around and I stopped counting at 75 the number of men who were in shirt sleeves without jackets. I went to the matre'd Luca and asked him if they changed the dress code without telling me and he said "why do you ask?". I asked him to follow me to my table for a second, and he obliged, and on the way I pointed out all of the men the room that did not have a jacket on. He gave me the line that "I spoke to all of them and told them about the dress code, and I gave out 30 jackets to people entering without a jacket." This was very hard to believe and on the following night, I decided to wear a golf shirt, shorts and flip flops to dinner, to try and see what would happen. I entered the mdr, the matre'd saw me and said "I guess I can't say anything to you after last night". I agreed that if you disregard the dress code on the formal nights, then the casual nights are even more difficult.

The rest of our cruise became a come as you want cruise and on the 2nd formal night while I had my tux on, I saw many, many more people dressed casual.

I know that some of you like lsimon will flame me for this, but I just have to call it like I see it. The main reason that X keeps the formal nights is to sell $22.95 pictures.

Howard

I could not care less what other people wear just as long as we are comfortable in our suites and dresses.

Points??? To heck with points! We don't need to dress up for no stinkin' POINTS!!! :eek:

Oh, great and all knowing fashion police... Oh, ye omnipotent gods of fashion and style, I have now seen the error of my ways!

Nice to see you again TeeCee! :D

He did.:D

As i see it the only confrontational people here are the fashion police. Who's pointing fingers and lifting their heads up high?

There's nothing confrontational about doing what's requested. Passengers don't confront other passengers but when someone appears at the door of the dining room in casual clothing on Formal Night it's confrontational. No one is pointing fingers, it's not necessary, it's very obvious.

As I said before, if that's what you want to do go right ahead. It's not my problem.

holding my head high in my tux on formal night...until they change the code!

That's great I have nothing against you dressing up. I don't and choose alternative area. I just don't like when people need to point fingers and need to say something about the way they dress.

holding my head high in my tux on formal night...until they change the code!

"... the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner ."

Good to see Celebrity is keeping up with maritime traditions. ;)

No. I am not a member of a country club. I have never been a member of a country club. I have no desire to become a member of a country club. I do not wish to pretend that I am a member of a country club.;)

Well, I am a member of a country club and the club is having the same argument about dress codes. The codes will be relaxed in the future since the younger crowd is turned off by those codes and the club needs newer and younger membership to remain in business.

An senior executive once told me that he had worked and studied hard to get to the point where he could wear a suit to work and just didn't understand why the younger workers didn't want to wear a suit. To him, a suit was an outward sign that he had 'made it' and didn't have to wear 'work clothes'. JMHO, but I think there is a lot to that in the opposition to relaxed dress codes on cruise ships.

But, demographics is on the side of the younger, more relaxed dress, crowd at my club just as it is on cruise ships. "Formal Nights" will become "Formal Optional". Then, "Formal Night" will become a memory. You doubt that? Check out the dress codes on the more upscale lines.

But, demographics is on the side of the younger, more relaxed dress, crowd at my club just as it is on cruise ships. "Formal Nights" will become "Formal Optional". Then, "Formal Night" will become a memory. You doubt that? Check out the dress codes on the more upscale lines.

Yes indeed I do agree...and when the cruise lines officially go to all cruise casual as well ....we will dress according.. (and this discussion will become more moot than it already is) the days of the Tuxes and formal wear is numbered that is true.. just like the ability to communicate and socialize has been limited to 140 characters and or spaces.. I am not pleased.. but will adjust.

Everyone booking a cruise is aware of the dress code and should stick to it. There are places to eat if they don't want to. Speciality restaurants and the buffet are available.

When children go to school and are expected to wear uniform, then that is the rule. No way can they get away with ignoring it. If they did they were sent home. Why should it be different for adults on a cruise ship when there is a dress code in one area? They don't need to go there if they do not want to conform. Simple.

But also I think that the staff in the MDR should advise accordingly.

As the original poster.....

I can't believe how far off thack this has gotten.

Its not about what other people were wearing, but the lack of adhering to the dress code by the powers to be aboard on the ship.

Howard

I for one apologize if I was leading the conversation astray.

Everyone booking a cruise is aware of the dress code and should stick to it. There are places to eat if they don't want to. Speciality restaurants and the buffet are available.

Let's compromise. If the buffet is good enough for some on formal night it should be good enough for all. So let's have formal night one night in the MDR and one night at the buffet. Deal?

An senior executive once told me that he had worked and studied hard to get to the point where he could wear a suit to work and just didn't understand why the younger workers didn't want to wear a suit. To him, a suit was an outward sign that he had 'made it' and didn't have to wear 'work clothes'. JMHO, but I think there is a lot to that in the opposition to relaxed dress codes on cruise ships.

You mean to tell me that FORMAL WEAR is nothing more than an CLASS BASED form of EXCLUSIONARY *S*T*A*T*U*S* mongering!?! I am *S*H*O*C*K*E*D*...stunned...and disheartened. :rolleyes:

"Formal Nights" will become "Formal Optional". Then, "Formal Night" will become a memory.

Yes indeed the days of the Tuxes and formal wear is numbered.

JUST when I finally cave, and sell my soul to the gods of fashion... :eek:

JEEZ... you guys are killin' me here! ;)

Well, I am a member of a country club and the club is having the same argument about dress codes. The codes will be relaxed in the future since the younger crowd is turned off by those codes and the club needs newer and younger membership to remain in business.

I do doubt that. And until that happens, follow the current dress codes or try another ship. Pretty simple.

It might not work for you though unless you had my incredibly good looks.

I was on the same cruise as Howard and noticed the same thing . We had the late seating in the MDR at a table for 8. My husband was the only man at the table on both formal nights with a jacket and tie. The other two men wore dockers and collared shirts. I thought possibly the dress code was relaxed due to it being a Caribbean cruise.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I really dislike the attitude that some people on the Celebrity board have towards other lines, especially Carnival. Obviously, if you've read this thread, you know that ultra casual is allowed even on Celebrity. I've been on Carnival, NCL, Royal, Costa, and Princess, and I'd say the full range of dress is represented on each.

Nothing like starting a food fight. I would rather not sail with people that wear tank tops and flip flops in the MDR. As well I think it is silly in this day and age to wear a tux or suit. If you want to dress like a penguin try the Cunard Line.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I really dislike the attitude that some people on the Celebrity board have towards other lines, especially Carnival. Obviously, if you've read this thread, you know that ultra casual is allowed even on Celebrity. I've been on Carnival, NCL, Royal, Costa, and Princess, and I'd say the full range of dress is represented on each.

Not only do I not like Carnival, I'm not a big fan of Royal Caribbean, Even though we're Diamond Plus.

I was on the same cruise with the OP and can second the observations. This cruise had the most folks not adhering to the dress code on formal night.

I don't care what anyone else wears at any time. Has no effect on me or my enjoyment of the evening.

BUT...this whole dress code thing for me comes down to respect! We've totally lost it. If the request is to dress a certain way in the main dining room, it's respectful to follow the request. Other venues are available if you don't want to follow the request.

Why is everyone so disrespectful?

I was on the same cruise with the OP and can second the observations. This cruise had the most folks not adhering to the dress code on formal night.

I don't care what anyone else wears at any time. Has no effect on me or my enjoyment of the evening.

BUT...this whole dress code thing for me comes down to respect! We've totally lost it. If the request is to dress a certain way in the main dining room, it's respectful to follow the request. Other venues are available if you don't want to follow the request.

Why is everyone so disrespectful?

I agree with you.

I cannot answer why people have so little regard for their fellow passengers, I think it would be a too complex a question to answer on these threads.:D