Noordam cancelled portstop Samana.

jakkojakko

What can get really crazy is when the winds kick up after you are ashore. We had a heck of a wait getting back on the ship on a recent Black Sea cruise until the ship had to keep repositioning to make its own leeward side to allow the safe transport of the tender passenger at the gangway. Worst thing was because of the cold winds, we had to stand in those same cold winds in port.

I wonder if there are stories when it was impossible to get passengers back on board and what does a ship do then? Can happen. And always a good idea to pack a bit of foul weather gear when going ashore in dicey weather, just in case there is a long wait to get back on board. Ear-Pops (tiny single ear muffs) tucked into pockets have bailed me out of many a grim windy moment.

What can get really crazy is when the winds kick up after you are ashore. We had a heck of a wait getting back on the ship on a recent Black Sea cruise until the ship had to keep repositioning to make its own leeward side to allow the safe transport of the tender passenger at the gangway. Worst thing was because of the cold winds, we had to stand in those same cold winds in port.

I wonder if there are stories when it was impossible to get passengers back on board and what does a ship do then? Can happen. And always a good idea to pack a bit of foul weather gear when going ashore in dicey weather, just in case there is a long wait to get back on board. Ear-Pops (tiny single ear muffs) tucked into pockets have bailed me out of many a grim windy moment.

Good point. Being the devout coward, however, I think I would have stayed onboard if the weather were dicey.

Due to high winds and Swells the tenderport of Samana has just been cancelled.

The 25 minute ride would have been to rough. Another seaday.

That happens frequently in tender ports. Has happened to us two or three times in HMC.

I wonder if there are stories when it was impossible to get passengers back on board and what does a ship do then?

A few years ago the Amsterdam had to sail off overnight, and stranded passengers in the Falklands. The locals put them up wherever possible, fed them, and got them required meds. It was then I learned never leave the ship, especially in a tender port, without at least one day's worth of medications.

The ship was able to return and pick up the passengers the next day.

The seas are really rough. In fact the promenade deck is still closed 4 hr after we left Samana bay. The ship is still rocking and rolling. As far as I can tell, many understood the captains decision. You could really see the waves crashing on shore.

A few years ago the Amsterdam had to sail off overnight, and stranded passengers in the Falklands. The locals put them up wherever possible, fed them, and got them required meds. It was then I learned never leave the ship, especially in a tender port, without at least one day's worth of medications.

I also do the same thing -- at least 1 day's worth of medications for tender ports.

The seas are really rough. In fact the promenade deck is still closed 4 hr after we left Samana bay. The ship is still rocking and rolling. As far as I can tell, many understood the captains decision. You could really see the waves crashing on shore.

We also had a couple of days of high seas on our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise. All decks were closed off. We didn't even go out on our verandah.

Good point. Being the devout coward, however, I think I would have stayed onboard if the weather were dicey.

Maritime weather can change so rapidly. You can leave in bright sunshine for a 5 hour shorex and get back to the tender port in pretty miserable weather. :(

We also had a couple of days of high seas on our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise. All decks were closed off. We didn't even go out on our verandah.

Was this on the NA TA cruise a while back. The NA followed our Maasdam TA by only a few days, and while we had a very serene crossing, the NA really got tossed around alarmingly. :eek: You never know these things. But that NA crossing became a thing of legend.

That is a very good idea! I will remember to do that in the future. Crazy things happen, which is why I always bring a few extra days worth when we travel. I never thought to bring a supply along at a tender port. Thank you for such an excellent idea!

Is it raining or just high seas/winds?

No. Only overcast clouds. One hour away from the island it was severe sunny again.

Yesterday it took a second (and last, by captains words) attempt to dock at GrandTurk. This was caused by very strong crosswinds. We waited one hour after scheduled departure time for the wind to die down a bit.

Edited by jakkojakko

No. Only overcast clouds. One hour away from the island it was severe sunny again.

Yesterday it took a second (and last, by captains words) attempt to dock at GrandTurk. This was caused by very strong crosswinds. We waited one hour after scheduled departure time for the wind to die down a bit.

Interesting. Thanks. :)

Happy you got to Grand Turk yesterday.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

We almost missed Grand Cayman last week. In Costa Maya, Captain Timmers used the side thrusters to keep us pushed up against the dock.

I won't be getting off the ship in Samana again. It wasn't a bad island to bypass, believe me. Very poor place with aggressive locals.

If you are to miss a port, Samana is the perfect choice ;) In all the ports we have ever visited, it is certainly the least interesting.

Been there once and it was not pleasant....it's on our itinerary this winter and I have no plans to disembark...it's definitely a port we prefer to miss.