Was There a Double Suicide on Magic?

Lace

I am aware of this but I still believe since they were headed to port anyway it was the right decision to come in early.

Why? I believe that a death on a cruise ship is fairly common, and certainly nothing can be accomplished by getting back early, and it does negatively impact everyone else's vacation.

Have to say it seems pretty inconsiderate way to off oneselves.

Why? I believe that a death on a cruise ship is fairly common, and certainly nothing can be accomplished by getting back early, and it does negatively impact everyone else's vacation.

Have to say it seems pretty inconsiderate way to off oneselves.

If one person did have a CVA and another person had a MI its quite possible they died before the ship could get within range of USCG out of Houston and, since the ship had been running flank speed, they decided to slow down some but still arrive early to the cargo pier.

Edited by arush5268d

I use to think cruisers were a wonderful group of people, I am now questioning that. Seriously people you are all so heartless. If indeed two people passed away, regardless of how they might have died, have some compassion for them and their families. Just for one minute try to think about someone else and put yourselves in their shoes.

:(:(:(:

if one person did have a cva and another person had a mi its quite possible they died before the ship could get within range of uscg out of houston and, since the ship had been running flank speed, they decided to slow down some but still arrive early to the cargo pier.

Hmmmmmmm???????:confused::confused::confused:

For some reason I understand everything you said but wonder where your knowledge comes from?

Edited by jonbgd

Hmmmmmmm???????:confused::confused::confused:

For some reason I understand everything you said but wonder where your knowledge comes from?

I stayed at a HOliday Inn Express last night?

Or I could have some sort of medical licensure.

I use to think cruisers were a wonderful group of people, I am now questioning that. Seriously people you are all so heartless. If indeed two people passed away, regardless of how they might have died, have some compassion for them and their families. Just for one minute try to think about someone else and put yourselves in their shoes.

:(:(:(:

Seriously!!! Thank you. People worry about their vacation being ruined and people die all the time in ships? Where do people get their information or " misinformation? Disheartening to say the least.

OR you could even be a [former] Coastie with some experience in the matter...

I always thought that would be an awesome job, but it is a path I did not go down. I have known some Coasties over the years and they have the utmost respect from me. They can be looked at like step children but when the time comes for them to shine they always step up to the plate.

I don't think the rescue swimmers have to pay most of their drinks in the bars.

Seriously!!! Thank you. People worry about their vacation being ruined and people die all the time in ships? Where do people get their information or " misinformation? Disheartening to say the least.

People die on ships, its not misinformation.... it happens far more then you think, after all why else would you have a morgue?? Yes, cruise ships will offer the family of a deceased passenger the opportunity to disembark early and help them make travel arrangements home from that port if possible, of course at the passengers own cost. Many times the passenger choose to disembark and go home to family while the body continues on with the ship because it's cheaper to fly home their loved ones remains from the ships home port in the US then out of the country..... These are things you don't think of as a traveler but trust me the travel industry thought off and has contingencies for...

As far as rushing back for "police involvement" there is nothing the police at port can do, the land cops have no jurisdiction out at sea...

It sounds like no one knows a true story... two people covered in sheets doesn't mean they were dead, maybe they were covered to hide them from the embarrassment of an entire ship staring at them while they were brought off the boat... besides dead bodies typically aren't covered in sheets, they're in a bag...

It sounds like no one knows a true story... two people covered in sheets doesn't mean they were dead, maybe they were covered to hide them from the embarrassment of an entire ship staring at them while they were brought off the boat... besides dead bodies typically aren't covered in sheets, they're in a bag...

A clean sheet is a great tool in the hands of a great paramedic. A great clinician - be it physician, EMS or other - is an advocate for patient privacy.

I see no reason for the ship to "RUSH" back to port because two people chose to take their lives. If that is even the truth. If that is the truth, there is a morgue to keep them comfortable until they get back to Galveston. SMH:rolleyes:

Of course but who determines it's a double suicide? The cruise line? Maybe they were erring on the side of caution.

Edited by Big_G

If there were deceased to debark, I can understand why they would want to get back early.

There isn't a whole lot of time between turnarounds, You have cruisers debarking at the same time cruisers are lining up to embark. Would you really want to bring out dead bodies while people are waiting to embark? And if law enforcement were involved, wouldn't you want that dealt with before current passengers began to show up?

If there were deceased to debark, I can understand why they would want to get back early.

There isn't a whole lot of time between turnarounds, You have cruisers debarking at the same time cruisers are lining up to embark. Would you really want to bring out dead bodies while people are waiting to embark? And if law enforcement were involved, wouldn't you want that dealt with before current passengers began to show up?

It is not standard practice to rush back for a fatality. There is plenty of time to debark the body before the ship is cleared for debarkation.

My speculation is that if it were indeed suicides they needed to be investigated by the police and perhaps Carnival thought it would be better to have the investigation in the USA and at the port where everyone disembarks. Rather than delaying the process and the delay of the disembarkation for the other passengers Carnival decided to return 7 hours early so as to make sure everyone would be disembarked in a timely manner in the morning after the investigation.

Again this is just a speculation. Do you think I'm right?

Edited by travelplus

My speculation is that if it were indeed suicides they needed to be investigated by the police and perhaps Carnival thought it would be better to have the investigation in the USA and at the port where everyone disembarks. Rather than delaying the process and the delay of the disembarkation for the other passengers Carnival decided to return 7 hours early so as to make sure everyone would be disembarked in a timely manner in the morning after the investigation.

Actually, I know you are at least partly wrong. The Magic returned to one of the cargo piers in Galveston. They were already scheduled to come back early to use one of the cranes there. From there they went to debark at the normal cruise pier on time.

Again Police Departments in the USA have no jurisdiction over incidents at sea, its a USCG problem, they wouldn't rush back to have an investigation done by local cops.

I'm pretty sure they have a well thought out process, and offload the bodies in the warehouse to a waiting hearse.

I really wish suicides wouldn't choose the cruise ship methodology.

Can't they find some way to inflict it on Air Travel instead?

Doesn't Air Travel deserve the neg. press a lot more than the cruise industry?

Wow... I'm sure next time someone is in so much pain and despair that they want to end their life they will hang in there long enough to jump out of a plane to even out the bad press..

Seriously. Heartless.

Edited by SunshineCruiser24

I really wish suicides wouldn't choose the cruise ship methodology.

Can't they find some way to inflict it on Air Travel instead?

Doesn't Air Travel deserve the neg. press a lot more than the cruise industry?

Where are you coming from?:eek: I was a flight attendant for 26 years and still have friends in the industry and NEVER had or heard of suicide on an airplane. Like someone said previously, if airplane has a bad engine, they do not depart. If you have a full airplane and one seat belt does not work, they do not even depart until it is fixed. Please talk about something you know about.

Right. So basically nobody has a clue lol. Everyone is reporting a quite different story.

Something we can agree on!

So far, from what I/we have read:

1.) 2 suicides-suspected?

2.) 2 bodies removed, covered in sheets head to toe.

3.) Passengers were officially told 2 passengers had life threatening illnesses

4.) Someone's sister was on the Magic, who reported one passenger had a heart attack and another had a stroke

5.) Another report made that one passenger had a heart attack and another had a broken leg-and both were alive when they were removed from the ship.

Have I missed anything?! Think we'll ever find out what really happened?

Where are you coming from?:eek: I was a flight attendant for 26 years and still have friends in the industry and NEVER had or heard of suicide on an airplane. Like someone said previously, if airplane has a bad engine, they do not depart. If you have a full airplane and one seat belt does not work, they do not even depart until it is fixed. Please talk about something you know about.

There is no need to be so defensive. The OP didn't say that there WERE suicides on airplanes - the OP said that they wished people would inflict their issues on the air industry instead of cruise ships. You need to re read what the OP said and retract your claws. You should also apologize for your last sentence.