Will we make our flight in FLL?

yvr49

We will be disembarking from Ruby Princess on February after our 5-day Eastern Caribbean. We will be in a suite so I think we get some priority for disembarking, and we will carry our own bags. Our flight from FLL is at 9:45 a.m. - when I booked it I thought that would be sufficient time to get to the airport but now I'm getting concerned. The flight back to YVR is not direct so I would hate to miss the connection in ATL. Opinions and comments, please.

What do you think?If your asking you already know the answer.....very doubtful!:D

I think you will make the flight. We have done walk off the last 2 years and were at the airport by 830 am and through security with no problem. Our flights were at 1130 am, and we waited at the gait for 2-1/2 hours. We found security not vey busy at 830 in the morning. Delays are always possible, but from past experience you will have enough time.

Thanks everyone for all the comments. I guess we will just have to wait and see. Not going to stress about it now that I have arranged a flight the next day using our points. If it turns out we don't require that flight the points can be deposited back into our account and used for another flight.

In future I will be sure to book a later flight!

There are always many things that can occur which we have no control over. Last February we were scheduled to go on the Ruby-we always arrive a day early but saw a big storm coming-spent several days changing our flights to a day earlier (so we would have been in FLL two days before our cruise) Only to be involuntarily bumped from our flight then watched the storm for two days from our hotel room then heading home in disappointment. If we would have planned to fly in on the day of our cruise-we would have been all set.(The storm had passed and all flights were operating normally by Sunday But we went the end of March. Our only option to get home when I needed to get back was a 10am flight. We did the self dis embarkation and printed our boarding passes the day before in the internet cafe. There was about a 1/2/ hr delay but we walked off, walked right to a long line of cabs, we were at the airport,past security and having breakfast at the gate by 8:15am

Sadly I am not able to change the flight - it was a deep discounted fare so we'll have to just let it go. We'll still try for 9:45 but not likely we will make it. To make lemons out of lemonade though, I now have a Plan B. We're going to rent a car and check out Fort Lauderdale after we disembark, and will fly home on points the following morning. I've heard Sawgrass Mills is worth a look :)

Always good to have a Plan B! :)

If things go extremely smoothly, you might make your flight.

LuLu

~~~~

I appreciated reading these responses and experiences. We also have this question. Our flight will be at 11:35am.
An 11:35am flight should be fine unless there are unusually long delays. Even the time when disembarkation didn't start until almost 9:30am after one cruise, I still made my 11:20am flight. Edited by Pam in CA

9:45 is tight, however, I have done self walkout in group 1 in Fort Lauderdale, been off at 7am. It's a 10 minute cab ride to the airport for the pier, so if all goes well you will be fine. If not, it's too late to change the flight so you have no real other choice.

you can change your flight it will just cost some more money. Wife works for a airline. You must also remember, A 9:45 flight the door closes at 9:35 and at 9:30 they give your seat away to standby people who are waiting for a seat. 55 to 45 mim before your flight is the luggage cut off. it wont make it. Then if you don't make it you will be put on standby the rest of the day. So don't wine and cry to the gate agent if you don't make any flights that day its not her fault and she has heard every story why you need to get on the next flight! Now if every thing works out just right you might make it,BUT if there is a delay you have to live with it. Like a extra day in the FLL and or the same in Alanta airport! Can you live with a extra 100$ hotel and food fee for 1 or 2 days? This is for others too,because I have seen that you have change your flight.

Edited by ABYUFAN
added more

Thanks Pam.

I know I have made that flight in the past. I just wasn't sure if there was some change that might make it difficult...and I still do not know.

But, I am just not going to worry. I do not have to rush back for work or anything.

Just disembarked from the Royal yesterday. Took awhile to get off the ship. My "exit" time was 830am. Took about one hour to get through customs, etc., then another 30 minutes to get a taxi. Arrived at the airport at 10:15am. I didn't have to claim my luggage, though (walked off with it). Glad you changed your flight. Some days, you might be able to make a 940am flight, some days you might not. I think it's always a gamble scheduling early flights. My stomach can't handle to the stress it induces. Others may be able to handle it. :)

We will be disembarking from Ruby Princess on February after our 5-day Eastern Caribbean. We will be in a suite so I think we get some priority for disembarking, and we will carry our own bags. Our flight from FLL is at 9:45 a.m. - when I booked it I thought that would be sufficient time to get to the airport but now I'm getting concerned. The flight back to YVR is not direct so I would hate to miss the connection in ATL. Opinions and comments, please.

We just disembarked Emerald on Dec.19 as Walk-off #2. There were 2 other ships in port. We walked off the ship at 7:10, cleared immigration in 10 minutes, grabbed a taxi and were sitting at our gate at FLL at 8:30am for 10:15am flight.

Your milage may vary :)

We disembarked the Royal on the 15th around 7:20- 7:30. Through customs in about 25 minutes, and walked directly into a cab (lucky - at least 4 ships were in port). Had 11:30 flights in 2 different terminals.

United was no problem at all; Spirit Airlines was! At 8:00 AM, the line to check in for Spirit was out the door, this was just to check in, and get bags checked! It took her almost 2 hours to check in and clear security.

So consider the airline as well.

Edited by slc22

...last Sunday. All "walk-off" passengers were instructed to be at the Symphony dining room and with a minor delay, we were among the first to walk off at 6:20am. With our luggages towed, it took us approximately 10 minutes to walk from the ship all the way down to Customs/Immigration.

Another minor delay and we were through Customs and out the building in another 10 minutes. There were plenty of Princess employees guiding passengers where to go. Outside the pier, we went directly to the taxi line and shared a cab with another couple. The shared taxi cost us even less. :)

Being off the ship that early, there was a distinct advantage...absolutely no traffic. We were at the airport just before 7am. Our flight was scheduled for 10:50am. We had plenty of time...actually too much time.

We always get off in the first walk off group with our luggage and are at the gate by 7:45.

Like others have said have a plan B. ;)

Merry Christmas Colo Cruiser!

We have always done the same and have the 945 flight booked once again next month.

But we do have a backup just in case.:D

Mike:)

I would look for a flight after 12PM. As you can see we live in BC a flight around 12pm is OK with a reasonable arrival time in Vancouver.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

We have flown early in the morning out of FLL many times for cruise and non cruise vacation....the key is security sometimes it is super slow and other times we have whipped through in no time flat! Be certain to be prepped for not making th flight and you will be fine! Sawgrass is a nice way to spend some down time shopping and there is also a fun flea market we like to hit in the area just for kicks as well!