BaG of laundry?

lightsleeper

It is still offered (was last week on the Century). Availability may vary depending on whether or not there are water restrictions on your sailing, however.

Last week it was $45 for as much as could fit in the large paper bag. It was only offered on two days... maybe once about halfway and again about 2/3rds of the way through our 15 nite sailing.

What's your best guess as to how big that bag is? Going on an 11 night cruise and figured I might use the laundry mid cruise.

I'd guess that the bag is maybe 18 inches wide by 24 inches long, or something like that. I think the rule is that your stuff just has to fit in the bag without tearing it.

It could easily hold several dozen pairs of socks and undies. Shirts, a lot less... maybe 12 or so plus some smaller items?

We've never done the stuff the bag deal since we've only had to wash a few shirts so it was better to pay for the few pieces.

was just looking on celebrity website and it shows 20 items for water restricted cruises and 30 for no restrictions. they listed alaska and baltic cruises as water restricted. we are also going on 14 day infinity cruise through panama and hope to use laundry bag. We are Elite only from rccl diamond conversion as we have never sailed celebrity. :D

It's cheaper to replace your socks and undies (men's, at least) than it is to have them laundered! I don't like it, but we pack enough for the 11 day trip and take it home dirty. Not only do I think it's overpriced, most importantly, I don't want my delicates ruined by hot water and hot dryer. JMHO

You can't get an awful lot in the small bags they give you but it is more the actually amount of clothing than the "one" bag. We always ask for extra bags and get them and as long as we don't put more than the 30 articles in the bag (bags) we are fine. Also, important to state on the slip you put with the laundry that you want warm, not hot water and warm, not hot heat in the dryer. We've been doing this for years with no problems. Would I send something really expensive to be laundered? No way. But shorts, tees, undies, jeans, etc. you will be okay.

You can't get an awful lot in the small bags they give you but it is more the actually amount of clothing than the "one" bag. We always ask for extra bags and get them and as long as we don't put more than the 30 articles in the bag (bags) we are fine. Also, important to state on the slip you put with the laundry that you want warm, not hot water and warm, not hot heat in the dryer. We've been doing this for years with no problems. Would I send something really expensive to be laundered? No way. But shorts, tees, undies, jeans, etc. you will be okay.

This is great to know. I assumed they would wash/dry everything on hot/hot and I always wash my clothes - even tees and shorts - on cold/delicate cycle and delicate/barely warm dry. I'm bringing travel laundry soap and was planning to wash my stuff in the sink and hang to dry if needed. But it's good to know that ship laundry might be an option.

we will only put items in that are marked on the label as being able to be dried on high heat - we learnt the first time round when a pair of trousers came back an inch shorter that they were when they went

They were charging $25 a bag and a free bag per elite passenger

Sailing on Eclipse...14 days..

Does Celebrity offer a "bag of laundry" on the cruise? If so, what is the cost and can this be done any day or is it restricted to certain days. We are not elite.

We cruised on the Eclipse last summer with non- Captain Club members and it was not offered to them. :(:( As Elite members we had one free bag and another discounted bag for each of us.

All the more reason to have a self serve laundry on-board.:)

I wash all my smalls and smaller garments and hang them up. I send everything else to be dry cleaned, washing and pressing (steaming) is not my cup of tea, the water they wash in is too hot for most clothing and the pressing doesn't work on cotton shirts, you have to stipulate "to be ironed."

A decent retractable clothes line in the cabin is a good idea, there are none on their Solstice Class ships.:mad:

Wow, I would do your laundry for less than that, but I bet they press your clothes as well.

What's your best guess as to how big that bag is? Going on an 11 night cruise and figured I might use the laundry mid cruise.

A bag of clothing is wash and fold only, no pressing included, you pay extra for that.

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll stick to just rinsing things out in the sink with the laundry soap I'm bringing and hanging to dry. The Summit has a clothesline I've read and I'm bringing clothespins. Or I can pin things to the chairs on the balcony probably. I'll be in the Caribbean - I won't care much if my clothes are a little wrinkly. Better that than ruined from hot water and hot dryers. I do wish Celebrity had self-serve laundry facilities though!

I had never used the laundry service on a ship until Summit to the Med. 6-'06. My friend had spilled OJ on my white capris on the plane before we landed. They were beyond washing in the sink, so I put them in a plastic bag and sort of forgot about them. 3-4 days later, I found them and they were starting to mildew. :eek:

I used my Captain's Club discount coupon and the two of us filled the bag. Everything came out clean and the pants were mildew free. For the last several cruises I have been elegible for free laundry--20 items in the Carib. and Alaska and 30 in Europe. My roommate and whatever friends we sail with fill up the bag and it's all free. I wouldn't use the laundry unless it were free, except for an emergency like the capris.

We have found that we can survive a long cruise if we hand wash our nylon undies--they will dry in a couple of hours in the closet. (We each take 4) We also wear clothes more than once, and tightly roll shirts and pants for the flimsy paper bag--reinforced with clear packing tape we bring. My DH wears “Traveler” shirts and they look just fine without pressing. We both wear knit t-shirts--and they do fine in the laundry.

We are not overly concerned with temp. of water, etc. We have never had anything ruined by the laundry.

Be good to yourself--let the laundry do the work!

Wow, I would do your laundry for less than that, but I bet they press your clothes as well.

We were able to get 30 items, mostly shorty nighties, ladies' capris, socks, underwear, light weight shorts, t-shirts but also a few long sleeve dress shirts in one paper bag a couple times on our last cruise. No jeans or jean shorts. We didn't have to get it all in one bags as we had free laundry Elite coupon but were able to so we did. Careful folding of the clothes is the way to get more in.

Cost of $45 seems really expensive as I seem to remember that offer was $25 on our Century Hawaii cruise last month but being Elite ours was free.

Also on the sister cruise line RC 18 night Oz/NZ cruise we did earlier this year the cost of the laundry bag special was only $15 and it was a plastic bag so it would stretch when you packed the clothes in especially if they were folded to exact fill the bag in each direction. ;)

Also we were able to use our $10 Diamond coupons so in reality it only cost us $5 per bags.:)

I can confirm that on our Dec 7 cruise, the bag of laundry was $45 and it wasn't offered until 3 nights left. It had an advertisement saying "Don't fly dirty clothes home!" Pretty useless on a 15 night cruise and I had sort of been counting on the $25 fill-a-bag special that CC talks all the time about.

Our non-full bag halfway through was $35 of undershirts and other under-garments.

I have used the laundry service on many ships. Most are great. The best was on Windstar which sells unlimited same day laundry. HAL has a similar plan. Wish Celebrity did the same thing. I only send them clothes that can stand washing and drying commercially. If you have delicate clothing, do not send them. With the exception of the Infinity, I have always been happy with the laundry service. Infinity wrote our cabin number on the clothing. The ink bled. Ruined a few shirts. Other ships use printed sticky tags. Some ships just wash and fold. Some iron. Best ship for laundry is Millenium. Worst is the Infinity. For the elite free laundry offer....30 items are tough to fit into the one small paper bag. I usually fill 3 bags and just write the info on the bags with the coupon. Every ship except the Infinity accepted the multiple bags. Infinity insisted that all items must be in one bag. I was amazed at how tight you can roll clothing to fit into the bag. I did tape the top together. I bring a flexoline and hanger clips. Wash out delicate items in the cabin.