would anyone miss the hairy chest contest?

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

I have seen parts of them and they can be funny depending upon the people involved. I agree that it doesn't cost anything but I think they could come up with something new with no extra costs. I definitely wouldn't miss them if they did away with it.

I always avoid it.

On our MSC cruise they had an "Olympics" that was fun to watch. In teams, people had to jump into the pool a certain way, swim a lap, then trade off with the next person. Sometimes they had to throw a rubber chicken into something before or after their lap... sometimes they had to swim with one arm, etc. It was quite funny.

There are lots of better things they could do that don't cost anything.

MSC had a bunch of clever pool-side games. Different versions of "simon says" type games, where different words meant doing different things. It got hard to keep all of the words straight.

They also had a real fitness instructor teaching Zumba-style dances on the pool deck. There were also fitness classes throughout the day in certain lounges (on the dance floors) that were free.

I think what most people on CC forget is many of you have cruised multiple times. I still believe the vast majority of Carnival Cruisers are first timers. So these goofy contests are brand new and fun. And to be honest, I've seen some people having a great time during the hairy chest and other contests. The group I'm going with on our next cruise is a whole bunch of newbies. And it's the kind of group that will get a kick out these kinds of contests.

And we all bought FTTF so watch out:)

QUOTE=Rena921;41237752]

We actually enjoy it, DH even participated once. It's all about having a good time and enjoying life. BTW, this is not a Carnival exclusive...other cruise lines do this as well :rolleyes:]

===============================================

Just wondering ... which other cruise lines have a Hairy Chest Contest? :confused:

LuLu

~~~~

QUOTE=Rena921;41237752]

We actually enjoy it, DH even participated once. It's all about having a good time and enjoying life. BTW, this is not a Carnival exclusive...other cruise lines do this as well :rolleyes:]

===============================================

Just wondering ... which other cruise lines have a Hairy Chest Contest? :confused:

LuLu

~~~~

Our last RCCL cruise had one.

Our last RCCL cruise had one.

Thanks, I've never seen it on any cruise line other than Carnival so was wondering.

Did RCCL do it the same way Carnival does?

I saw a Belly Flop Contest on RCCL. I've never seen that on Carnival ... but, I could have missed it.

LuLu

~~~~

Yes, because it's people having fun, not taking things or life too seriously. I judged the sexy legs contest on RCL and got mooned. Well I did the only thing I know when a butt is presented, pop it!

Edited by Blk_Amish

Instead of doing away with tried and true favorites (like live steel drum music, nightly sushi tasting, fish and chips on some ships) why not do away with this cheesy tradition? I mean, Carnival is all about change lately so why can't they figure out a new poolside contest already? I admit it can be kind of funny (especially when my mom was a judge) but my point is- I don't think this would bother ANYONE if they replaced it!

I never go to any contest around the pool, such as; belly flop, hairy chest, men's prettiest legs, bean bag toss, etc. So I can see if I will miss them or not. But those you do enjoy them I hope they keep them for you.

Yes, because it's people having fun, not taking things or life too seriously. I judged the sexy legs contest on RCL and got mooned. Well I did the only thing I know when a butt is presented, pop it!

That's a requirement isn't it? Think I read that in the cruise contract somewhere :p

Thanks, I've never seen it on any cruise line other than Carnival so was wondering.

Did RCCL do it the same way Carnival does?

I saw a Belly Flop Contest on RCCL. I've never seen that on Carnival ... but, I could have missed it.

LuLu

~~~~

It was similar. I actually think one of the contestants on that sailing was part bear...or sasquatch:eek: It has been a few years since I was on a RCCL cruise, so they could done away with it by now.

We watched a belly flop contest on the Liberty where a skinny kid (teens) with a mullet wig won over several adults bigger than him. He was small in stature, but he sure knew how to make a big splash!

I use to love live bands on deck....now...

ice carving, hairy chest shows, too loud canned music, kids packed in hot tubs, overcrowded pools, never a place to sit and very aggressive pushy bartenders....we avoid lido deck at all costs.

Love Carnival and always find a nice quiet place to sit and read, or play trivia or walk the ship, but the whole Lido deck is horrible these days. I think the last 7 day cruise I wandered across the Lido deck to the buffet area once.

I think what most people on CC forget is many of you have cruised multiple times. I still believe the vast majority of Carnival Cruisers are first timers. So these goofy contests are brand new and fun. And to be honest, I've seen some people having a great time during the hairy chest and other contests. The group I'm going with on our next cruise is a whole bunch of newbies. And it's the kind of group that will get a kick out these kinds of contests.

But is that a reason not to make changes in daily activities from time to time?

Lots of repeat guest who are just going to be bored by same old same old all the time

No, I would not miss it. It is a blight on Carnival and the first thing anyone mentions when they want to start the argument of Carnival being the lowest class of cruise line.

:rolleyes: That's funny, I never hear this argument in the real world....only on these boards.

Edited by Rena921