$25 Soda Fountain Card Question

Grandma of 4

Also are people saying if you buy the card to be delivered to cabin you pay tax?

You may. It depends on the state you are sailing from. For example, when sailing from Ft. Lauderdale, there is a sales tax charged for all items sold while the ship is still within territorial waters.

If you request the card be delivered "at sea", that means after you have left the state, so no sales tax is charged. The card is still normally left in the cabin during turnover.

A couple of posts above say soda card only good for fountain drinks. A number of posts in other threads say good for cans and fountain drinks. Can anybody clarify or say for certain? (Don't mean to doubt anybody; but have seen conflicting posts in other threads).

So if you have 2 or three Stars no point or difference, Also are people saying if you buy the card to be delivered to cabin you pay tax?

3 star Mariners get 25% off anything you buy at the Explorations Café. 3 star Mariners also get 25% off Wine Packages.

4 and 5 star Mariners get 50% off anything you buy at the Explorations Café. 4 and 5 star Mariners also get 50% off Wine Packages.

There is no discount on the Beverage Cards -- we buy them for cocktails and bottles of wine and the convenience of not having to keep track of all the receipts and checking them at the end of the cruise. When I pre-purchase the Beverage Cards, I mark it for them to be delivered At Sea. Florida and Washington state charge a sales tax. We have always found our cards to be in the cabin.

Another catch -- if you use the card before you are so many miles out to sea -- either 8 or 10 -- you will be charged the price of the drink, the 15% service charge and the Florida or Washington tax.

A couple of posts above say soda card only good for fountain drinks. A number of posts in other threads say good for cans and fountain drinks. Can anybody clarify or say for certain? (Don't mean to doubt anybody; but have seen conflicting posts in other threads).

Even though we do not drink soda, on all the different ships that we have been on, and I do watch, people who had the Soda Card were given fountain drinks. The glass is filled with ice and you get about 6 ounces of soda.

I don't know which threads/posts you're referring to, but perhaps this will explain the conflict.

There are two cards that can be used to purchase soda:

The soda card is the one that costs $25, is good for $50 worth of soda only, and is fountain soda.

The beverage card costs $50 for $50 worth of beverages (there are larger denominations available). It can be used for all beverages, including (but not limited to) soda, and can be used for cans of soda.

That help?

The Holland America website says "fountain drinks"

I can't find any info about purchasing drink cards (or policy info about bringing bottled water or canned sodas onboard like limits on amount and if it has to be carried on ship or checked etc.) on the Holland America site. Where is it? Thx. :o

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Edited by rileylewis

It has changed over time, so older posts may say cans. When the soda cards first came out they were for cans only, $1.95 + 15% each use. Then it was changed to "drinks" and they gave you a half-can plus a lot of ice per serving ... but some ships continued to serve full cans. Now I believe all ships have just the "fountain drinks" on the card, for $1.50 + 15%.

The Holland America website says "fountain drinks"

On the Prinsendam I was usually served a glass of coke. I don't think you can ask for a can, but I was given a full can perhaps 20% of the time. When I was I was still charged the glass price.

Roy

I can't find any info about purchasing drink cards (or policy info about bringing bottled water or canned sodas onboard like limits on amount and if it has to be carried on ship or checked etc.) on the Holland America site. Where is it?
I don't think it is stated in writing anywhere that we can bring all the non-alcoholic beverages we want, only that we can not bring anything alcoholic except wine and champagne. That policy is in the Know Before You Go document on the HAL website.

To see what you can purchase for any soda or beverage cards you have to have a current booking. Then you go My Account, My Reservations, Purchase Indulgences, Beverages.

Disney just makes this so much easier.....soda is free.
And you can bring all the alcoholic beverages of any type you want. Of course you pay for this in the base fare prices. Edited by catl331

I have priced some of the Disney cruises--and they are so expensive compared to the other similar class lines.

Even my husband doesn't drink that much soda to make up for the price.

Of course, when the grandkids get older it may be worth it--my kids certainly enjoyed our cruise on the Big Red Boat!

Then it was changed to "drinks" and they gave you a half-can plus a lot of ice per serving ...

This is why I always order my drinks with no ice in them. The dispenser makes the pop cold enough for my preference and I get more drink, less water. It's ridiculous what places charge for the stuff.

First, thanks to all who have taken the time to respond to mine and others questions in this thread.

Second, still wondering whether the soda card does any good for room service (as in ordering a soft drink with room service dinner)?

Third, is there a standard charge for a glass of wine in the dining rooms or bars.

and Fourth, other than the discount on the soda card, is there any particular advantage to purchasing a beverage card rather than just charging each beverage to the room (other than the ability to avoid keeping receipts, for those who would otherwise do this)?

Again, thanks in advanced for taking the time.

I don't think it is stated in writing anywhere that we can bring all the non-alcoholic beverages we want, only that we can not bring anything alcoholic except wine and champagne. That policy is in the Know Before You Go document on the HAL website.

The carry on policy is changing effective Jan 31 - only 1 bottle of wine/champagne per person is allowed at embarkation port only for all cruises.

First, thanks to all who have taken the time to respond to mine and others questions in this thread.

Second, still wondering whether the soda card does any good for room service (as in ordering a soft drink with room service dinner)?Third, is there a standard charge for a glass of wine in the dining rooms or bars.

and Fourth, other than the discount on the soda card, is there any particular advantage to purchasing a beverage card rather than just charging each beverage to the room (other than the ability to avoid keeping receipts, for those who would otherwise do this)?

Again, thanks in advanced for taking the time.

No, sodas from room service are by the can, so the soda card does not work for them. Also, when you use the soda card they need to take it to be scanned for the charge to be deducted from it. They can't do that with room service.

Third, is there a standard charge for a glass of wine in the dining rooms or bars.

Third - there are various wines sold by the glass. I think the house red or white starts is about $5, and I think the top glass is around $17-$18

Fourth - just few receipts to keep and a much shorter final bill to check.

The carry on policy is changing effective Jan 31 - only 1 bottle of wine/champagne per person is allowed at embarkation port only for all cruises.
The current KBYG says that so I didn't go into it again.

Page 6: http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf

Edited by catl331

This is something I actually know all about. I drink a lot of soda and I used to purchase the soft drink card on the cruise. I prefer getting the can rather than the fountain drink in a glass, so I always requested a can. I would say less than 10% of the time I would find a bartender and/or wait staff that would accommodate that request. Unfortunately, 60% of the time it resulted in a disgusted employee that didn't even want to deal with my request and would avoid me as much as possible for the rest of the cruise, and about 30% of the time I would get a friendly response, but "sorry, can't do it."

So, I switched to just buying my drinks in the can and skipping the soda card. It just wasn't worth saving a few bucks and I'm on vacation, so I don't need the hassle and fight. Now I get great service and everyone is happy to wait on me because they can charge me full price for the can and don't have to worry about the rules.

Obviously my recommendation for anyone that loves to drink soda and prefers getting a can of soda, skip the soda card and just pay regular price. I haven't even tried the $50 beverage card because I figure that would probably just add to the confusion, even though that card should be good for any and all drinks. Keep it simple and everyone ends up happy.

Ruth, do you know this: If I buy the soda card before sailing and our cruise departs from Barcelona there is NO VAT (Spanish tax) added and if you buy it on board you do pay the extra 8% VAT?

Ruth, do you know this: If I buy the soda card before sailing and our cruise departs from Barcelona there is NO VAT (Spanish tax) added and if you buy it on board you do pay the extra 8% VAT?

I'm sorry to take so long to reply. I saw this post when I wasn't logged in, and by the time I remembered to come back, I couldn't find the thread. :o

I do know that any purchases while in Barcelona, or before you reach a certain point after leaving Spanish territory, will carry the VAT tax. My first night cocktail after sailing from there had the additional tax.

I don't know how the VAT would be applied if it were ordered in advance. My guess---and it's only a guess---is that the VAT would also be charged in this circumstance, since the sale is completed when you take possession of the card in Barcelona.