RCI's ships that stop at Cozumel, do the passengers feel safe?

Rick, we too have walked from the pier to downtown. 5 miles round trip. The further from the port the nicer it was. As you approach downtown you start to get venders sell their products again. We got to see things you wouldn't see from a taxi window, and burned a few calories from the ship.

You are only as safe as you best move, and we did not feel concerned for our safety.

Then you know how it feels to work off a few calories, and still there are some hotels and bars.......if it get's too warm, to have a "cold one" on the way.

I always enjoy your posts, by the way!;)

Rick

I just got back yesterday from an RCI cruise that stopped at Nassau, and I hadn't been there in nine years (and it appears to have taken a turn for the worse during that time regarding crime in my respectful opinion).

Shocked and surprised by your comment about crime in Nassau.

What do you base your statement on? Did you witness crime? Did folks tell you they were victims of crime? Or is it just a feeling you have?

Shocked and surprised by your comment about crime in Nassau.

What do you base your statement on? Did you witness crime? Did folks tell you they were victims of crime? Or is it just a feeling you have?

The RCI Cruise Compass had a very large warning on the front page for the day we were going to be in Nassau regarding the U.S. Embassy's recently published warnings about the increase in non-violent crimes in Nassau (such as robbery of personal items). It was a very prominent area on the front page of the Cruise Compass. Before leaving on this last weekend's trip I had gone into the U.S. Embassy's website for Nassau based on warnings I had seen in other Cruise Critic boards for the Bahamas regarding the increase in crime there, and yes, the U.S. Embassy went into great deal about where to go, and what areas to stay away from due to lack of police and security in almost all areas except the two main streets near the cruise port. I've been to Nassau on cruises at least 7 times in the past 15 years, and hadn't been back for a while. I knew to be careful when we left the ship, from reading the tricks (on Cruise Critic) that the current criminals were using in Nassau (New Providence Island, I don't know about Paradise Island). So I already knew to not allow anyone to get too close, or "bump" into us, to keep wallets in front pants pockets (men), and for women to keep purses in front (not the sides, and fanny packs only on the front). My daughter's fiance had three different people come right up in his face (before and after we went to Hard Rock for lunch) and shoved necklaces over his head and wanted money, I immediately removed the necklaces and told the people to "go away". When we got back on the ship, a lady sitting next to us in a lounge said her adult son had him wallet stolen when he had come out of a jewelry store (daytime) and thankfully his ID & Sea Pass card were on a lanyard around his neck, not in his wallet. When I was coming back on the tender from Coco Cay, the man sitting next to me said someone had stolen his camera out of his back pocket when he was near one of the restaurants (daytime again) near the ships. It is best to be safe and careful with your belongings no matter what port you are in, anywhere in the world.

Then you know how it feels to work off a few calories, and still there are some hotels and bars.......if it get's too warm, to have a "cold one" on the way.

I always enjoy your posts, by the way!;)

Rick

We picked up a few bottles of water as the sun was rather hot. Higher price than it needed to be at $2 VS $1. Who cares the weather was not and they were friendly. The bottle was sealed too.;)

Thanks for the nice comment. It is nice to see you back. I missed you and Henry.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Many people may not agree with this statement but any time we venture off on an island it's ONLY with a ship excursion. I understand many people do private excursions and never have had a problem but for us we have piece of mind knowing the ship is responsible for our return and also knowing our where abouts. Most of the time we just walk around the pier at ports and get right back on the ship because we have been to some ports multiple times and really cruise now just for the ships themselves. While off the ship no matter what port we are in we take the same precautions. We don't wear any jewelry off the ship, we make sure we have our cell phones and major credit card with us, and we bury away some cash on us. It's a good idea to have money hidden away that's not in your wallet that way if your wallet gets stolen you still have cash on you. Port charges for cell phones may be out of control but I have it with me incase we need it and a major credit card especially American Express will help you if you need assistance outside of the country. There is crime everywhere in the world some is just more publicized than others. Be alert, don't stray from the beaten path, and if something doesn't feel right it's because it's probably not right. Cozumel is a great port but like anywhere else just keep your eyes open.

Many people may not agree with this statement but any time we venture off on an island it's ONLY with a ship excursion. I understand many people do private excursions and never have had a problem but for us we have piece of mind knowing the ship is responsible for our return and also knowing our where abouts. Most of the time we just walk around the pier at ports and get right back on the ship because we have been to some ports multiple times and really cruise now just for the ships themselves. While off the ship no matter what port we are in we take the same precautions. We don't wear any jewelry off the ship, we make sure we have our cell phones and major credit card with us, and we bury away some cash on us. It's a good idea to have money hidden away that's not in your wallet that way if your wallet gets stolen you still have cash on you. Port charges for cell phones may be out of control but I have it with me incase we need it and a major credit card especially American Express will help you if you need assistance outside of the country. There is crime everywhere in the world some is just more publicized than others. Be alert, don't stray from the beaten path, and if something doesn't feel right it's because it's probably not right. Cozumel is a great port but like anywhere else just keep your eyes open.

Very good advice. It truely is a matter of personal comfort. We started doing our own excursions of the islands once we got familiar with the Islands after a few visits.

That "spider sense" that tells you something is off is a great thing to take note of.

I know I am not with the majority of those who have responded, but I will put my 2 cents in, as you asked for honest opinions.

I have been to Cozumel twice in the past on cruises and both times I felt "ok". Honestly though, I will never ever return to Cozumel or any Mexican island anymore. People say to stay in the "tourist areas" and you will be fine, however there have been instances where decapitated bodies have been dropped off in front of all inclusive resorts WHERE OBVIOUSLY TOURISTS STAY. My feeling is, there is nothing that could stop them from coming into other tourist areas and even worse case scenario, storming the ships. The drug cartel have gotten very bad in Mexico, and therefore, we simply just stay away.

Yes, anything can happen anywhere, but I don't go somewhere knowing full well what is happening on a regular basis.

I just got back yesterday from an RCI cruise that stopped at Nassau, and I hadn't been there in nine years (and it appears to have taken a turn for the worse during that time regarding crime in my respectful opinion).

I want to book an RCI cruise that stops at Cozumel for a day, and I've only ever done the Eastern Caribbean on prior cruises. The crime comments in other websites for Cozumel are making me nervous, could anyone give their thoughts please? I read on one website about many murders and drug gangs in Cozumel, but I would like to believe those issues take place away from the cruise areas?

We only want to leave the ship to snorkel, enjoy a beach, and do a bit of shopping, no bars, and nothing after dark. I also read that there are 2-3 areas that the ships disembark, and that Carnival's pier is about 5 miles from the city, and the other cruise ships come to areas about 1.5 miles from the city. I wouldn't want to "walk" 1.5 miles from the ship to see some shops (as most ports whether Alaska or the Caribbean typically have many of the same stores), but if "the city" is considered to be enjoyable, then we could take a taxi from the Liberty into town.

Anyone's thoughts or opinions on booking this cruise that stops there versus maybe doing a Bermuda cruise would be appreciated (as we can just as quickly do a Bermuda RCI or Celebrity cruise from where we live).

Thank you!

Please tell us where you got this alarming information concerning Cozumel. I spent several weeks there every year and have seen or heard of all these murders and drug gangs you mentioned. Please let us know exactly what websites contain this information. I consider Cozumel one of the safest islands in the Caribbean

I was in Cozumel in October and there was never a time we didn't feel safe. We even booked a private excursion. Crime can happen right in your backyard. You can't let having fear of something like this make you not go on a vacation or to a port. You're going to miss out on some fantastic things.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take...

I know I am not with the majority of those who have responded, but I will put my 2 cents in, as you asked for honest opinions.

I have been to Cozumel twice in the past on cruises and both times I felt "ok". Honestly though, I will never ever return to Cozumel or any Mexican island anymore. People say to stay in the "tourist areas" and you will be fine, however there have been instances where decapitated bodies have been dropped off in front of all inclusive resorts WHERE OBVIOUSLY TOURISTS STAY. My feeling is, there is nothing that could stop them from coming into other tourist areas and even worse case scenario, storming the ships. The drug cartel have gotten very bad in Mexico, and therefore, we simply just stay away.

Yes, anything can happen anywhere, but I don't go somewhere knowing full well what is happening on a regular basis.

The mainland, yeah. Coz doesn't seem to have the same problems. I used to run into TJ often from San Diego, wouldn't do that now. Cozumel is safe.

I'm a little confused. What crimes did you see committed in your brief visit to Nassau? Were you in fact the victim of a crime, or did you just observe these activities?

Please tell us where you got this alarming information concerning Cozumel. I spent several weeks there every year and have seen or heard of all these murders and drug gangs you mentioned. Please let us know exactly what websites contain this information. I consider Cozumel one of the safest islands in the Caribbean

My original question that started this relating to Cozumel was simply to ask the opinions of passengers that had disembarked there as to whether or not they felt safe, as I have never been to Cozumel. The comments in my original question related to the present issues in Nassau, not Cozumel. There are however other people that have traveled to Cozumel that are doing posts regarding Cozumel's safety that mention their concerns, but unless they reply to your questions, then since I've never been there personally I can't help you.

Cozumel is fairly isolated from other parts of Mexico, and heavily dependent on tourism. I've been going there since my first cruise in 1995 and have never had any issues. These days I just take the taxi to one of the beach resorts, which aren't far from the ship and a great way to spend the day.

The eastern Mexico area where murders and drug dealers have somewhat recently made headlines was Cancun, not Cozumel. The island of Cozumel has had one murder of a cruise employee in 2012, but I haven't heard or read of any passengers being killed. Having been there on cruises many times, I have never felt unsafe during daylight hours.

When we did a tour of the ruins last year on Cozumel our guide told us on of the reasons that there was so little crime on Cozumel was that in order for any Mexican from the mainland to visit they needed a permit from the government. This has kept the local population in line with the number of jobs available.

I have been to Cozumel once years ago and will be going back in March. We usually don't do ship tours. Most of the time we get off the ship and find a taxi driver to take us on a tour of the island, maybe two hours or so. For those of you who frequent the area do you think this is a safe thing to do? We are a group of women traveling - no men with us.

Before leaving on this last weekend's trip I had gone into the U.S. Embassy's website for Nassau based on warnings I had seen in other Cruise Critic boards for the Bahamas regarding the increase in crime there, and yes, the U.S. Embassy went into great deal about where to go, and what areas to stay away from due to lack of police and security in almost all areas except the two main streets near the cruise port.

Very interesting. The U.S. State Department has issued no travel warnings that I could find for the Bahamas.

My sister and I are in our 60s and feel safe in Cozumel. Several times we took a taxi from the port shops to what I call the center of town. But we would never venture down a side street that looks deserted.

But we have been there so many times that we feel like just staying on the shop next time we are there.