We really do live in one of the most amazing parts of the world

Jacs

I was just reading some lists of people's bucket list cruises/holidays and almost everyone had Australia/NZ, South Pacific or SE Asia on theirs. It made me realize how incredibly lucky we are to have all this in our bsckyard. I often lament that we can't just jump on a quick 7 night cruise every other weekend like in the US because of such a limited cruise season here, but this reminded me that I'm living in the middle of the seemingly most desired cruise destinations in the world, and it's so easy to access, even without a cruise.

Almost every Aussie has visited SE Asia or some of the Pacific islands, and visited the GBR. I take it for granted yet so many people have dreamt of making a once in a lifetime visit here and save and plan for years to be able to do it. Makes me remember and appreciate how amazing this part of the world really is and how lucky we are to live here :)

It's funny that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

I was breaking my neck to holiday in the UK for many years and would go back again in a heartbeat.

(In fact, we're saving hard to spend 8 weeks there next year.)

I old love to have time and $$$ to go to Europe, mainland USA, Canada, South America, Africa...

All I've got to look forward to at the moment is an 11 night cruise in the South Pacific in 18 days time! :D such a 1st world problem!

Yes, we are very lucky, and since travel costs between Australia and NZ aren't too foul we are able to see a very diverse range of scenery.

However where both Aus and NZ fall down is that they are both relatively new countries. I've been lucky enough to have a few trips to the Northern Hemisphere, including seven weeks in Ireland and the UK last year (which was on my bucket list), and being able to see beautiful old buildings, ancient monuments and henges, villages that have existed for hundreds of years, and much more, gives a completely different view of the world.

I love to travel, be it within Australia, my birth country NZ, or anywhere else in the world, as I always discover something new, interesting or exciting.

That's so true ozkiwi, when I went to Egypt and stood in front of the pyramids, and saw the tomb paintings in the valley of the kings, my mind boggled with the idea of how OLD they were, they were created millennia before a permanent structure was built here. Same with seeing the old buildings of Rome, and people loving in stuctures older than western civilisation here.

But to counter that, we do have one of the oldest indigenous cultures still in existence in the world, it's pretty amazing seeing the ancient rock painting and things up in Kakadu and Arnhem Land :)

Hi I am from the East coast of Canada and we will be in Australia , NZ & French Polynesia in March & April. We first visited Australia in 2010 and I fell in love with your country and the people. If I were 20 years younger I would consider relocating. We will be spending 9 days in Melbourne & area and I am so looking for to the visit. My good friend lives on the west coast south of Margaret River and I was so very fortunate to visit and spend time in this part of the country as well. Cheers. We have been following the Australian Open. I don't know how they can play tennis in the heat. :)

I'm living in the middle of the seemingly most desired cruise destinations in the world, and it's so easy to access, even without a cruise.

Makes me remember and appreciate how amazing this part of the world really is and how lucky we are to live here :)

Yes Jacs....this is why our recent cruises have been exclusively in this part of the world (apart from the fact that I no longer like to fly long distances).

We have done the Aust/NZ cruise 3 times; the top end cruise twice and next month we are off on a quickie to Tasmania. We meet so many people on these cruises that come long distances from overseas to enjoy what we could easily take for granted.

We live just 30 minutes from the world class amusement parks of Sea World; Movie World and Dreamworld (+ others ) and I am always amazed by the crowds of visitors that make their trek to SEQ from all over... yet these attractions are almost in my backyard.

Despite all the doomsayers, Australia is still very much the lucky country:D

cheers

Edited by Flipper133

I love Sydney Harbour and living in Sydney I feel very priviledged to be able access to it on weekends and special events. Living an easy travel distance from OPT is great too. Very thankful my English parents made the brave move and cruised out here to live many decades ago. My parents met on the boat on the way over and Mum never stopped talking about the magic of her first sighting of Sydney Harbour.

I also will never forget the squeal of excitement from our teenage German exchange student when she saw the Opera House for the first time!

Yes lots of things to see both in this Region and the rest of the world, I have been working through my bucket list since I retired in 2003, lucky to have had an overseas trip and domestic trip every year. Getting to the bottom of the bucket adventure wise and $ wise. But enjoyed it all, still a bit more to go.

Hmm. Unless it's just a quick three day break I'd much prefer doing cruises away from Australia. I've done land based cruises to so many Pacific Ports I don't need to revisit them. NZ is the exception, I'd like to cruise there.

Yes lots of things to see both in this Region and the rest of the world, I have been working through my bucket list since I retired in 2003, lucky to have had an overseas trip and domestic trip every year.

Getting to the bottom of the bucket adventure wise and $ wise. But enjoyed it all, still a bit more to go.

Good onya Les, leave no stone unturned or sea un-sailed is my motto... :D

If I have a red cent left when they're throwing dirt on the wooden lid, I will consider it a failure of epic proportions on my behalf. :p

always loved the quote;-

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

-Hunter S. Thompson, "Gonzo"

I think I've done a pretty good job of throwing petrol on life's fire so far so here's mud in ya eye old mate...

Cheers :cool:

There is not a finer sight than returning home after a voyage at sea and seeing Sydney Heads coming into vision. The trip down the harbour always gives me goose bumps.

I never realized how much I missed it until about 18 months ago when I went on the Pearl with my wife for a Navy reunion. She'd always resisted the request to go on a cruise but after that she was hooked. I've been through the "Heads" hundreds of times, but that trip was different. We'll be making our best effort to do at least one trip per year while we still can. No long plane flights for us anymore, our little area of the world has so much for us to see and it will all be by water.

Good onya Les, leave no stone unturned or sea un-sailed is my motto... :D

If I have a red cent left when they're throwing dirt on the wooden lid, I will consider it a failure of epic proportions on my behalf. :p

always loved the quote;-

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

-Hunter S. Thompson, "Gonzo"

I think I've done a pretty good job of throwing petrol on life's fire so far so here's mud in ya eye old mate...

Cheers :cool:

Indeed mate, one is here for a short time not a long time and one cannot use that Visa Card in heaven.

Adventure before Dementia.

I have been lucky enough to see some wonderful countries around the world. I have stood in front of the Pyramids. I have watched the sun come up over the Taj Mahal.

But the most emotional I have ever been is when I first saw Uluru. I was amazed at how spiritual it was. Yes we are lucky to live in just a wonderful part of the world.

My DH & DD will visiting Tasmania for the first time in December. Then we can all say that we have visited every state in Australia. We will also be ticking off the north island of NZ.

We don't plan to spend all our savings but there may not be much left at the end.

Our family motto is 'Life's too short'.

Yes, the kids can have the house when I go but I am spending my money.:D

Hopefully I won't even have the house to leave them. Once I reach a certain age I shall retire gracefully to a rental property, perhaps in an old folks home, and spend as much of the proceeds from selling the house as I dare ;)

I have been lucky enough to see some wonderful countries around the world. I have stood in front of the Pyramids. I have watched the sun come up over the Taj Mahal.

But the most emotional I have ever been is when I first saw Uluru. I was amazed at how spiritual it was. Yes we are lucky to live in just a wonderful part of the world.

My DH & DD will visiting Tasmania for the first time in December. Then we can all say that we have visited every state in Australia. We will also be ticking off the north island of NZ.

We don't plan to spend all our savings but there may not be much left at the end.

Our family motto is 'Life's too short'.

We watched the sun set while standing inside the stone circle at Stonehenge last year. It was an awesome experience. Haven't made it to Uluru yet but it's on the bucket list. One place that blew me away was Black Mountain up near Cooktown. A very eerie spot.

Yes, the kids can have the house when I go but I am spending my money.

:D

Can you adopt me?

I promise I will convert my share of the Canberra Castle to an owner's suite and toast you every evening onboard! :p

"Brothers and sisters are as close as hands and feet". - Old Vietnamese Proverb :eek:

:cool:

I was just reading some lists of people's bucket list cruises/holidays and almost everyone had Australia/NZ, South Pacific or SE Asia on theirs. It made me realize how incredibly lucky we are to have all this in our bsckyard. I often lament that we can't just jump on a quick 7 night cruise every other weekend like in the US because of such a limited cruise season here, but this reminded me that I'm living in the middle of the seemingly most desired cruise destinations in the world, and it's so easy to access, even without a cruise.

Almost every Aussie has visited SE Asia or some of the Pacific islands, and visited the GBR. I take it for granted yet so many people have dreamt of making a once in a lifetime visit here and save and plan for years to be able to do it. Makes me remember and appreciate how amazing this part of the world really is and how lucky we are to live here :)

I'm hearing ya....and as with flipper133, we're not far the theme parks ourselves, being located between Jimbo & Beauie......we're off to see our original homeland via the Solstice early March (no kids this time)....its interesting to see how exciting some of the overseas passengers are getting about the cruise, and planning their tours to make the most of their time here, we're looking to relax and just enjoy the journey, many of the places in NZ we've been before but never cruised, done plenty of the 'milk run' cruises 'round the islands, looking at maybe doing a "Hawaii - Sydney" cruise next...icon12.gif

I am 67. I remember when I was about 10 that my mother used to tell me that we lived in the best country in the world - and our soldiers were the best in the World.

I now understand that she wasn't exactly lying -- it was just that she had never been anywhere else, never seen anything else and believed what others told her.

I am certainly lucky -- my birth at a certain time in a certain place was a very fortunate accident of history. There are many many other places that are better -- and many many others that are much worse. It's a BIG world - time is short - and I want to experience all I can without making judgements of what is good, bad, better, worse.

Has anybody noticed that we don't seem to get many people from Vanuatu wanting to move to Australia???

Barry

Has anybody noticed that we don't seem to get many people from Vanuatu wanting to move to Australia???

Barry

Interestingly that you should say that Barry. On our visit to Vila on a Sunday, we hired a taxi that was driven and owned by a guy that worked as an accountant for the government, Monday to Friday. His wife is also an accountant and his stated aim was to move to Australia. After he showed us his village and described his involvement with the community, my comment was that he had a great life already in Vanuatu.

Edited by By The Bay

I am 67. I remember when I was about 10 that my mother used to tell me that we lived in the best country in the world - and our soldiers were the best in the World.

I now understand that she wasn't exactly lying -- it was just that she had never been anywhere else, never seen anything else and believed what others told her.

I am certainly lucky -- my birth at a certain time in a certain place was a very fortunate accident of history. There are many many other places that are better -- and many many others that are much worse. It's a BIG world - time is short - and I want to experience all I can without making judgements of what is good, bad, better, worse.

Barry

They can't afford it.;)

Interestingly that you should say that Barry. On our visit to Vila on a Sunday, we hired a taxi that was driven and owned by a guy that worked as an accountant for the government, Monday to Friday. His wife is also an accountant and his stated aim was to move to Australia. After he showed us his village and described his involvement with the community, my comment was that he had a great life already in Vanuatu.

they may find it hard as Australia probably doesn't need more accountants but doctors and nurses, different story.:D

So very true. Just caught a train + bus to Southport today. Had a swim in the surf, lunch at the surf club then headed home sensational day, no driving, fine weather & safe reliable public transport. Cannot believe I haven't done it earlier.

Took my 80+ yo dad out for the day & we had a blast :)