Live from the Star Princess to Hawaii - Lewie Style

2ndCitySue

So happy to see Lewie style back. Love hearing about your adventures with Aunt Sue. You should be very happy to be away from Chicago...it's going to be -25 F wind chill tonight and more snow in the forecast.

Reading all your post are keeping me thinking about my next cruise in 7 weeks and our next cruise to Hawaii on the Star in 2015

Wishing both of you sunny skies and smooth seas

Arlene

Hope to meet you next summer at the Palatine farmers market.

DAY 5 - ON THE OPEN SEA - LEWIE'S MUSINGS ON ONBOARD ENTERTAINMENT & ITINERARY REVISIONS

Tuesday night, Jean Boucher, was well received by all. His show in the Princess Theatre was "one part magic and two parts comedy." He was seriously funny. Last night there were two shows in the Princess. JeROME is a stand-up comedian with "a splash of song, dance and impressions." He was a hilarious, stand-up guy. I met him on the Lido deck too and he was very nice to me. Heather Sullivan, the "Piano Girl," did the other show. She was advertised as a lounge singer. Some thought she was a great lounge act. I personally thought she was an off key singer with an untuned piano, so I left her show early.

It was fun to listen to classical music by the Jozsef Mezei Trio in the Atrium. I had also enjoyed them on my recent Panama Canal Cruise on the Island Princess.

Today was a special day for me as I found my lost Princess Bag containing an Insight Guide to Hawaii. Someone had returned it to lost & found. Woo hoo!

The sea has been stormy with 17+ foot swells. I don't thinks such big swells are really "swell." The captain, Todd McBain, has bent over backward to keep us informed of the weather. We are behind schedule but he has re-arranged our itinerary so we can make all our port calls. Our itinerary now has Maui as our last stop in Hawaii. We will reach Hilo tomorrow night and start with scenic cruising of the active volcano. Our first stop is Hilo on Saturday. All excursions will follow the original time and meeting spot, so we will use the same tickets that we have already received. On Sunday, we are in Honolulu. On Monday, we are in Kauai, and Tuesday in Maui. We will lose one sea day on the way home. Our Ensenada stop has been reduced to 1/2 day. We disembark in San Pedro, as originally planned on Monday.

G'day, my dear mates,

Lewie

Thank you for posting. I saw a video on the news of the huge waves (40 feet high!) off the north shore of Oahu. I wondered what kind of "swells" you were seeing.

I'm taking this same cruise on the Star next Feb. -- I'm so eager! I've been to Hawaii several times, but the last time was 1986 -- way too long ago.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!:)

DAY 6 - AT SEA, HEADED FOR THE BIG ISLAND - Aunt Sue Here

Hello Friends,

There's a lot happening on board on our last sea day before we hit the Hawaiian Island ports. This morning I attended a Scholarship at Sea lecture.

At 10 am, the Naturalist, SHARRON FAFF, talked about, "ENDANGERED SPECIES OF HAWAII - RARE & DIVERSE." She is an engaging presenter and I learned a lot from her. Basalt Lava has no nutrients, but the nutrients come from the air, supporting the growth of lovely native ferns. The beautiful forests are on all the islands with diverse trees in all colors to attract the many bird-types. The birds adapted their beaks to the shape of certain flowers, to allow them to reach the nectar and pollinate those species. The Nene is the state bird; they don't migrate and are a protected species. There are no snakes on any of the islands.

8,800 native species came before man; however, there were only two groups of mammals; For Monk seals and Hoary tree bats. For 80 million years, there were no humans on the islands. 1200 yrs ago, man came; 500 yrs ago Polynesian warriors came; 250 yrs ago, the English came, with Captain Cook arriving in 1776. The explorers brought invasive species like pigs. The Spaniards brought boars. In 1821, the Missionaries came, bringing Christianity.

Lava floes on the Big Island help keep invasive species in check. At 5 pm Sharron will begin to narrate from Deck 15 Midship as we approach the volcano for scenic cruising. Last night a series of earthquakes opened up cracks and created more lava than usual. We'll be 6-7 miles away from the action and she expects a really dramatic show. We'll see the most about 6pm. She also expects fantastic stars. Lewie will fill you in tomorrow on exactly what we can see.

At 2:00 pm I listened to the Jozsef Mezei Trio in the Atrium and relived good memories of our Island Princess cruise. Their rendition of Dr Zhivago and Volare evoked a sentimental journey for me.

The lei-making classes and ukelele lessons are a real hit on board. CD Dave Cole & Dave of Elua are dynamite and patient teachers. Lewie is seriously thinking about buying a used ukelele. He told me that he realizes the implication to his budget so I told him to decide for himself.

Due to our itinerary adjustments, the next two formal nights will be on Jan 29 and Feb 1. I started working on reservations for those nights in the Capri Dining Room because Anytime Dining availability of earlier seatings is very tight. I'm hoping Lewie's disability status will help us get in this time. As much as we enjoyed Sabatini's on Formal Night #1, we are not budgeted to go that route again.

Aloha, CC Friends,

Aunt Sue

We are enjoying your Hawaiian adventure. Wondering how the seas are treating you throughout the islands as we are reading about unusually high waves over there. Hope the weather is letting you do all the activities you have planned. Aloha and Mahalo!

How lucky you will be to get to see the lava flows! W special treat,

Aloha Kakou,

Sadly, no lava on the drive by...but, the passengers did get to see a side of the Big Island that they never would have before while we were sailing down to the viewing. Of course, I am prejudice, living on the BI, but the barren cliffs and rocks running down to the ocean are very beautiful...IMHO.

Malama Pono,

Dave

(of Elua)

http://www.facebook.com/eluamusic

Aloha Kakou,

Sadly, no lava on the drive by...but, the passengers did get to see a side of the Big Island that they never would have before while we were sailing down to the viewing. Of course, I am prejudice, living on the BI, but the barren cliffs and rocks running down to the ocean are very beautiful...IMHO.

Malama Pono,

Dave

(of Elua)

I don't understand how you (Dave) did not have the power to communicate to Madame Pele. The Star has had some interesting port changes this season. Hope you have an opportunity to make it home for a few hours. Hope your return crossing is a bit smoother.

Renee

Aloha Elua, can you schedule the same drive by of Big Island with the Captain for next week? Big island our fav too! Looking so forward to hula & uke, Dh is practicing daily Dave. Mahalo Elua, Aunt Sue and Lewie!

Aloha,

Well, we have a little pull but not that much!! Looking forward to sharing the aloha with you all next cruise. Coome up and say aloha to us at Sailaway and we will see you at ukulele, hula, lei making and all the music performances.

Malama Pono,

Dave

(of Elua)

Aloha Kakou,

Malama Pono,

Dave

(of Elua)

Just curious...any chance of Princess will dock in Kona-Kailua instead of Hilo any time in the future? See you next month. Mahalo. :)

Just curious...any chance of Princess will dock in Kona-Kailua instead of Hilo any time in the future? See you next month. Mahalo. :)

Aloha,

Well, the 2014-15 itineraries are already out, and none of the "regular" runs to Hawai'i call on Kona. If my memory serves me, there might be a one off or two that visit, but those are the rare exception and not the rule. We have not gone to Kona on a regular basis since at least 2009, and I don't believe it will change any time soon.

The last visit to Kona was just as a result of them having to cancel Lahaina.

Malama Pono,

Dave

(of Elua)

Edited by Elua

Aw, the lava flow on our 2005/06 cruise was a definite highlight of our first Hawaiian cruise (on the Island Princess). After dinner, we went to an open deck and saw the lava hitting the water. Some crew members were there too, with their cameras. And the kids' staff had brought the kids to that deck too (it was "pajama night" so many were in their PJs; can't remember if our then-8-year-old was in her PJs, but she was a few feet away from us).

We had Kona on the itinerary, but that port got skipped due to high wave. We were disappointed that in between then and our next cruise (the Hawaiian one in 2010/11 on the Golden), that Kona was dropped.

DAY 7 - Lewie's Musings on the Big Island

Lewie here. We left the ship today and I took my first steps on Hawaiian Soil. But first let me fill you in on what we saw last night cruising near the volcano down south. I can not tell a lie; I saw nothing. But of course I was very busy talking to my 2600 new friends. Aunt Sue spotted a whale spouting off. The friends we watched the volcano with, saw the red hot lava, as did the captain on the bridge. I wish I had brought my binoc's along.

Our first trip today was a free quick ride to Hilo Hattie's. I got my self a nice Hawaiian shirt with soft cotton. Aunt Sue says it looks very sharp on me. Since I got it half price, it cost $20.82; just enough to Get the free mug of the Pearl Harbor & Battleship Missouri Memorials. I tried to get a second mug for Aunt Sue but Hilo Hattie's is a bit stingy.

Today we took a Princess tour of three water falls. Our guide was Angelique and I think I'm in love. She was the sweetest & prettiest guide you could imagine. There were 9 of us in her van and she let me sit in the front seat next to her. She was full of good information about the island and natural resources. More from Aunt Sue later on the details of what we saw.

Aloha my friends,

Lew

Lewie & Sue,

Enjoying your cruise and Hawaii vicariously.

It snowed again overnight here in the Chicago area and the high temperature for tomorrow is going to be below zero (again, just like two weeks ago).

Keep up the posting! We need it here!

Thank you.

DAY 7 - HILO - BY AUNT SUE

There were excellent shows in the Princess Theatre the past two nights. On Friday, Michael Ballos belted out, "Broadway's Best to Billy Joel." Michael has a beautiful voice and was extremely well received. He also happens to be the Shopping Host on Board. Interestingly, he was also on our Panama Canal Cruise on the Island and he had gotten to know us quite well. He remembered us from that cruise.

Tonight, was the Headliners, a 60's & 70's tribute band. They were very talented and well received. They have been nominated, by the customers, as one of the top acts on Princess ships. They did tree shows in the Princess, at 7, 8:30, and 10:15 pm. I also happened upon Elua performing in the atrium. It is always fun to listen to them.

Our tour today of Alaska, Kahuna, and Rainbow Waterfalls was terrific. Our guide Angelique was excellent and cute as a button. On our way to Rainbow Falls, we saw many sights, including the famous statue of King Kamehameha. Lovely foliage lined the road. At the scenic Rainbow Falls, we saw a huge Mangoe tree. We learned that the Big Island is also known as the Orchid Island.

After a more lengthy drive, we came upon the challenging one mile trail to see Kahuna and Alaska Falls. I'm proud to report that Lewie and I both pushed ourselves and made it around the loop for some very dramatic views of the falls. There were also lovely trees, plants, flowers and mosses. The scent of the rainforest was intoxicating.

On the way back, Angelique drove past a Catholic Church at my request. It was the Good Shepard Catholic Mission with a statue of the Good Shepard out front, and a grotto of Our Lady to the side. All were rewarded to see a stately Banyan Tree across the street.

On the way back Angelique shared interesting Hawaiian factoids. It turns out that 70% of the US supply of Spam is consumed in Hawaii; it is even served at McDonald's. She pointed out a Poi Balls roadside stand. I noticed an Aloha Gas Station charging $3.95/gallon.

Signing off from Hilo,

Sue

DAY 7 - HILO - BY AUNT SUE

There were excellent shows in the Princess Theatre the past two nights. On Friday, Michael Ballos belted out, "Broadway's Best to Billy Joel." Michael has a beautiful voice and was extremely well received. He also happens to be the Shopping Host on Board. Interestingly, he was also on our Panama Canal Cruise on the Island and he had gotten to know us quite well. He remembered us from that cruise.

Tonight, was the Headliners, a 60's & 70's tribute band. They were very talented and well received. They have been nominated, by the customers, as one of the top acts on Princess ships. They did tree shows in the Princess, at 7, 8:30, and 10:15 pm. I also happened upon Elua performing in the atrium. It is always fun to listen to them.

Our tour today of Alaska, Kahuna, and Rainbow Waterfalls was terrific. Our guide Angelique was excellent and cute as a button. On our way to Rainbow Falls, we saw many sights, including the famous statue of King Kamehameha. Lovely foliage lined the road. At the scenic Rainbow Falls, we saw a huge Mangoe tree. We learned that the Big Island is also known as the Orchid Island.

After a more lengthy drive, we came upon the challenging one mile trail to see Kahuna and Alaska Falls. I'm proud to report that Lewie and I both pushed ourselves and made it around the loop for some very dramatic views of the falls. There were also lovely trees, plants, flowers and mosses. The scent of the rainforest was intoxicating.

On the way back, Angelique drove past a Catholic Church at my request. It was the Good Shepard Catholic Mission with a statue of the Good Shepard out front, and a grotto of Our Lady to the side. All were rewarded to see a stately Banyan Tree across the street.

On the way back Angelique shared interesting Hawaiian factoids. It turns out that 70% of the US supply of Spam is consumed in Hawaii; it is even served at McDonald's. She pointed out a Poi Balls roadside stand. I noticed an Aloha Gas Station charging $3.95/gallon.

Signing off from Hilo,

Sue

Aloha and good evening Sue,

I believe that you walked to and viewed that Akaka falls, not the Alaska falls, along with the Kahuna falls. The Akaka falls travel some 300 plus feet, and when full, which should be now, are one of the most beautiful in Hawaii.

I could not help myself here, as I lived in Hawaii for over 14 years, and ran a tour service for 5.

Rick

DAY 8 - HONOLULU - AUNT SUE

Lewie is taking a breather from blog writing today. We arrived in Honolulu early this morning. We met our Princess tour, of The Arizona Memorial & City Tour, at 7:30 am in the Princess Theatre. The Arizona is a sacred experience, not to be missed. It invoked patriotic feelings in me. The City Tour was interesting and the guide was engaging; however, those who did the Arizona and Missouri Memorials liked that combination a lot. It rained a lot today which made the tours a bit more laborious.

By the time we got home for lunch, I was ravenously hungry. Since it was Sunday, we went back out at 5:30 to go to 6:00 Mass at Our Lady of Peace at 1184 Bishop Street, about 1/2 mile walk from the ship. We saw a few other couples from the Star there. The Hawaiian priest gave an inspiring homily, and he was quite taken by Lewie. He really loved Lewie's smile.

We ate dinner in the Horizon and I went to the show in the Princess Theater. It was a Honolulu Local Show, but it didn't do much for me. I left early. Fortunately, our tour on Kauai isn't until 11:20 am, as I am exhausted tonight.

Lewie is up on Lido for The Ultimate Deck Party. Good thing the rain stopped. He can fill you in on the party tomorrow.

Sweet Dreams to all,

Sue

ps to Rick - thanks for clarifying the name of the falls for me.