Live from the Star Princess to Hawaii - Lewie Style

2ndCitySue

Hi friends,

I am back.

This morning my Aunt Sue and I arrived at LAX, and the nice lady from Princess immediately put us in a taxicab to the Crowne Plaza in Redondo Beach. Our Taxi driver was Abdi. He told us about Redondo Beach and that our hotel was right by the beach.

We really liked our room and balcony. I went to the spa looking for the pool. The friendly workers gave me cookies and breakfast food for tomorrow.

Aunt Sue printed our boarding passes & luggage tags for the morning. I walked by the concierge and we became fast friends. Later she told us to try Captain Kidd's Fish Market & Restaurant for dinner. It is across the street from the hotel.

We both had large filets of fresh fish and two sides. Our bill came to the cheap price of $37.00, very reasonable. The best part was meeting Lawrence Taylor, known as "LT," when I offered him two tarter sauces. LT volunteers at St. Margaret Mary's Special Religious Ed Program program in Lomita, CA. He invited me to a Christmas party at St Margaret Mary's. When I told him I was from Illinois, he bought me a Captain Kidd's cap instead. Aunt Sue says it looks really good on me. I liked LT's personality.

Right now I am at the Rock's Bar drinking an NA Mai Tai, sitting in the sun. I don't miss the snow at home. In the morning we board the Star Princess on our way to Hawaii.

Good evening, my friends,

Lewie

So excited to see this live from since we leave in one month on the Star for Hawaii. Will be eagerly following along so please give us all the details on the ship, ports, food, weather etc. Have a wonderful cruise.

DAY 1 - San Pedro Embarkation & Launch to Sea

This morning we went to breakfast at Ruby's in Redondo Beach. It is directly across the stret from the hotel. Our waitress, Crystal, was on top of her game. Ruby's is a diner with many red booths and a view of the ocean. They serve enormous portions. The price was $32 including tip for both of us. It is definitely worth going there.

We came back to the hotel and met Gerry, the Princess Rep. She gave us our health questionnaires and told us to be in the lobby at 11:45 to board the bus.

In the lobby, we met many nice cruisers. Drew & Judy from Upstate New York told us they went to breakfast at Polly's on the Pier, next door to Ruby's. Polly's is small and quaint with about 10 tables. There is a view of the fishermen and ocean out the window. Their bill was around $17, including tip, for both of them. They really liked it

Tomorrow we have a sea day. See you then.

Good Afternoon,

Lewie

ps - although Lewie wrote this yesterday, early afternoon, it could not be posted until now when the internet started working on board.

Thank you for once again giving us an excellent review of Lewie's cruise May I ask a favour please as I need to know whether to buy on board or at the airport

can you give me an idea of the price of say Gin Bacardi or Brandy and specially the two bottles for $$$ prices in the shops I will be eternally grateful Thanks

Edited by windsor26

DAY 2 - ON THE OPEN SEA

This morning I woke up rested, took a shower, and got dressed in my Grand Cayman dress shirt. Today I would like to write about my first experiences on the ship yesterday.

I ate lunch in the Horizon Court with two new friends from England. From there I went up to Tradewinds and watched football in a large crowd. It was exciting to watch Seattle beat the 49'ers. I sat with a woman from Idaho. We talked about languages.

At dinner in the Horizon, Aunt Sue and I ate with a friendly couple from Dallas. The husband, BW, sat next to me and even cut my meat and fish. My Aunt Sue commented later that she admired him because he was a real man.

Then I went off to bed to recover from my travels. Now it's time to go to breakfast and make more new friends.

Good morning, my friends,

Lewie

The internet still isn't working worth a darn, so posting will be spotty.

welcome back we have missed your writings….my wife and i took this trip last year and it was one of the best cruises ever….i will be starting each morning now with a cup of coffee and Lewie! it doesn't get any better than that!

safe travels...

DAY 3 & 4 ON THE OPEN SEA - AUNT SUE WRITING

The dreadful internet is making it very difficult to send out this blog. Lewie is taking a breather today. On Monday I spent the whole morning in bed because my only relief was in a vertical position, although Lewie got his sea legs from the get go and buzzed around the ship all day. I finally seem to have gotten mine, so I am taking a turn with the blog production.

On Monday afternoon, I discovered the amazing Jody in the spa. She is from Jamaica and is beautiful on the outside & the inside. She gave me an unbelievable triple treatment special for $89 plus tip. It included a neck & shoulders massage, an arm & hands massage & a facial. I felt rejuvenated & pampered, indeed. Then today, Lewie went to her for a heavenly one hour back massage for the same price. Wednesday morning I go again, this time for a pedicure.

On Tuesday morning (Day 4) we went to the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet from 11-12. We met a lot of new friends who we see all over the ship now. It was very well organized by the impressive Ron (CdMAgFox) from Corona Del Mar, CA. He made all of us sharp looking name tags and sent personal invitations to all of the officers of the Star. At least 10 officers and the Deputy CD, Chris, mingled with us. It was held up in Skywalkers and was great fun. Hip hip hooray to Ron!

Tuesday night was the first formal night. Lewie and I got all gussied up but since we are on Anytime Dining, these smartie smarties couldn't get into any of the restaurants. Because Lewie knew I did not want to dine in the Horizon "cafeteria," he sweetly decided to treat me to dinner in Sabatini's. That was our first time in Sabatini's and it was oh so special. The maître de, Dan, gave us the best table in the house and assigned us a terrific waiter Bobby. He is from Romania and although he asked us to call him Bobby, his given name is Bojdan. He gladly cut up Lewie's steak for him and pampered us every step of the day.

To further complete our perfect day, we happened upon Elua performing Hawaiian Songs in the atrium, on the way to our room. Dan, Bobby, and Elua created a memory for us, never to be forgotten.

I have to go to sleep now if I want to enjoy my pedicure in the morning. I am thrilled that tonight we set our clocks back an hour, so I get the gift of an extra hour of sleep!

Good night my dear Cruise Critic Friends,

Sue

Thanks Lewie and Aunt Sue for the posts. Wife and I were on the Star to Hawaii in November. Hope that your cruise is as good overall as ours was. We will look forward to the rest of the posts as your cruise progresses. And, BTW, the internet on our cruise was not very good either. Enjoy! :cool: