Live from the Star Princess to Hawaii - Lewie Style

2ndCitySue

DAY 9 - Lewie's Musings on Kauai

We took a tour to Waimea Canyon on the Garden Island. It is known as the Grand Canyon of Hawaii. It was spectacular. Our bus driver was Juan, who was very thorough in what he told us. He called the people on left Coconuts, and those on the right were Pineapples. He alternated between the two sides for getting off the bus, to be fair.

On the way to the canyon, he took us to an upscale pit stop, with a nice shop. I bought a shark tooth necklace from Tony and he gave me a 30% discount. It was exactly what I was looking for for at the bargain price of $11. Aunt Sue was happy for me because she said it looked great on me and it was just what I wanted. Before we got to the canyon, the land looked like the desert areas in New Mexico, including red soil created by iron oxide. The elevation of the canyon was close to 4000 feet and 1 mile wide.

We also made a quick stop at Spouting Horn which was made of black volcanic lava. It shot excess water from the waves out of the blow holes. It was a sight for sore eyes. I give this tour an A++. Luckily, the Coconuts got off the bus first, so we boarded the ship in record time.

At sail away, we saw lots of playful whales. Many of them breached and shook their tale fins for us, as we waved goodbye to Kauai.

Yesterday I went to the Ultimate Deck Party, but it really wasn't a party. They only played 50's & 60's music. The food didn't look appetizing to me, so I just visited with my Star people. I had fun.

On Monday night, I took in A Tribute to the Beatles in the Princess. I thought it was a not so great production. Neither the band or the audience really got into the music. Being a Beatlemaniac, I expected more, in my humble opinion.

Aloha & Gutentag from your buddy,

Lewie

After I posted this morning, I checked the weather for Lahaina, and there were small craft warnings due to high surf and wind.

I guess the captain had that figured out last night, as when they left Kauai, he steered a course that will take them directly to Ensenada.

How sad to have missed Maui altogether.:o

Now, I understand that the Star will spend a day in Ensenada, instead of just a couple of hours. There are some interesting things to do in Ensenada, but I'm trying to picture where to berth a third ship. Both Carnival and the Sapphire Princess will also be in Ensenada. They will either have to tender, or be docked at the industrial dock. Ouch!!

Rick

After I posted this morning, I checked the weather for Lahaina, and there were small craft warnings due to high surf and wind.

I guess the captain had that figured out last night, as when they left Kauai, he steered a course that will take them directly to Ensenada.

How sad to have missed Maui altogether.:o

Now, I understand that the Star will spend a day in Ensenada, instead of just a couple of hours. There are some interesting things to do in Ensenada, but I'm trying to picture where to berth a third ship. Both Carnival and the Sapphire Princess will also be in Ensenada. They will either have to tender, or be docked at the industrial dock. Ouch!!

Rick

On our November 20 Hawaii cruise we spent the entire day in Ensenada and we hit all of the islands as scheduled. Also, the sailing before and after ours did the same. I believe that all Hawaii cruises with Princess do that these days. That is why they are 15 day cruises instead of 14 day cruises. :cool:

On our November 20 Hawaii cruise we spent the entire day in Ensenada and we hit all of the islands as scheduled. Also, the sailing before and after ours did the same. I believe that all Hawaii cruises with Princess do that these days. That is why they are 15 day cruises instead of 14 day cruises. :cool:

Thanks for the update. The ship now has an extra day to get to Ensenada, and hopefully the seas will be calmer on the way back.

I'm sailing on the Sapphire Princess leaving San Pedro on 2/1, and we will be the first ship in to Ensenada on 2/2.

Rick

According to a text from my stepdad this morning from the Star, they pulled into Maui this morning, but tenders couldn't be deployed due to the high surf. By 10 a.m. Hawaii time, he texted they were now leaving for Ensenada. Too bad that didn't work out for this cruise, but nice that Princess tried to make it to Maui since it was missed at the beginning.

The captain told them the first 36 hours of the return would be rough, but seas should be calmer after that.

Edited by Blue_Flame

According to a text from my stepdad this morning from the Star, they pulled into Maui this morning, but tenders couldn't be deployed due to the high surf. By 10 a.m. Hawaii time, he texted they were now leaving for Ensenada. Too bad that didn't work out for this cruise, but nice that Princess tried to make it to Maui since it was missed at the beginning.

The captain told them the first 36 hours of the return would be rough, but seas should be calmer after that.

Good to know that they at least tried. The website chart that I follow showed them leaving from Nawiliwili Harbor, and heading directly to Ensenada. Your information must be spot on!:)

This probably has not been one of the most enjoyable Hawaii cruises, and has nothing to do with the cruise, and everything to do with the weather. I know that Princess is doing everything to keep the passengers happy, under these circumstances.

Rick

I decided to check my Patter for our Hawaiian cruise in 2012/13 for the day in Ensenada and we were there from 4pm to 7:30pm, but I think on previous cruises we were there longer (or it sure felt like it). We had missed Kona on our first Hawaiian cruise, and when the captain made the announcement that due to high waves, we would be continuing on to Ensenada and would have a full day there, there was an audible groan. Some because of the missed port and many because of being in Ensenada longer. Sorry, but we've been there so many times and we now just treat it as a stationery sea day (also packing day).

I guess if you haven't been there before, it's one thing. But it's one of my least favorite ports.

Good to know that they at least tried. The website chart that I follow showed them leaving from Nawiliwili Harbor, and heading directly to Ensenada. Your information must be spot on!:)

I can second that. I was watching the Star webcam this morning, and it was definitely stopped off Lahaina. Even in the webcam it looked windy, with choppy seas. After a few hours there, I watched it head out into open seas.

I can relate with the people on the ship. Three years ago on the Golden, we missed not only Lahaina but also Kauai due to nasty weather. It was disappointing, but I was amazed by how quickly we received updated Princess Patters with a full slate of activities.

DAY 10 - ON THE OPEN SEAS - pm entry from Aunt Sue

I got the Duty Free on board prices from the onboard shop, for Yvonne:

- GIN - $17.95/liter Princess Retail OR 2 for $29.99; Tanqueray $18.95/l; Bombay Saphire $26.95/l ; Gordon's $14.95/liter.

- RUM - Bacardi 8 $23.95/ l; Bacardi Limon $16.95/l; Bacardi Superior $16.95 for 40 oz; Captain Morgan $15.95/l; Cruzan Banana Rum $11.95/l or 2/$19.99; Cruzan coconut, mango, and pineapple rum is same; Jamaican Appleton Rum $19.95/l or 2/$36.99; Malibu Coconut Rum $14.95/l; Meyers Rum$18.95/l

COGNAC - Courvoisier VS $$28.95/l; Courvoisier VSOP $53.95/l; Courvoisier XO $199.95/l; Hennessy VS $41.95/l; Hennessy Black $54.95/l; Hennessy Privilege $$69.95/l; Hennessy XO $195.95; Hennessy Paradis $659.95/700ml, Special $399.99; Remy Martin VSOP $66.95/l; Remy Martin XO $149.95/700ml; Remy Martin Diamanté $$999.95/700ml, Special $599.99; Remy Martin Louis XIII $3,495.95/liter.

I have found some wait staff I truly like in Portofinos. The waiter is a Filipino named Ariel and his assistant is Hendra from Indonesia. They both serve elegantly and spoil me to death. They have a section near the window, so the view is top notch. I'm trying to get in with them tonight, as Lewie is still smitten by the Horizon. Since I haven't regained my sea legs yet, the only thing I've left the room for today is meals. Otherwise, I've been in a prone position in my bed. Since the captain is really putting the pedal to the metal, I'm expecting to find my sea legs in the morning. I may try to hit a show tonight after eating.

I'm looking forward to a lovely sea day tomorrow. More from Lewie & me tomorrow.

Smooth sailing to all,

Sue

DAY 9 - Lewie's Musings on Kauai

We took a tour to Waimea Canyon on the Garden Island. It is known as the Grand Canyon of Hawaii. It was spectacular. Our bus driver was Juan, who was very thorough in what he told us. He called the people on left Coconuts, and those on the right were Pineapples. He alternated between the two sides for getting off the bus, to be fair.

On the way to the canyon, he took us to an upscale pit stop, with a nice shop. I bought a shark tooth necklace from Tony and he gave me a 30% discount. It was exactly what I was looking for for at the bargain price of $11. Aunt Sue was happy for me because she said it looked great on me and it was just what I wanted. Before we got to the canyon, the land looked like the desert areas in New Mexico, including red soil created by iron oxide. The elevation of the canyon was close to 4000 feet and 1 mile wide.

We also made a quick stop at Spouting Horn which was made of black volcanic lava. It shot excess water from the waves out of the blow holes. It was a sight for sore eyes. I give this tour an A++. Luckily, the Coconuts got off the bus first, so we boarded the ship in record time.

At sail away, we saw lots of playful whales. Many of them breached and shook their tale fins for us, as we waved goodbye to Kauai.

Yesterday I went to the Ultimate Deck Party, but it really wasn't a party. They only played 50's & 60's music. The food didn't look appetizing to me, so I just visited with my Star people. I had fun.

On Monday night, I took in A Tribute to the Beatles in the Princess. I thought it was a not so great production. Neither the band or the audience really got into the music. Being a Beatlemaniac, I expected more, in my humble opinion.

Aloha & Gutentag from your buddy,

Lewie

Sounds like a great day spent on Kauai. We very much enjoyed the same excursion last March......:):):)

Bob

I attempted to post this morning about the chronology of the Maui tender operation being scrubbed. I also described the revised Patter with At Sea activities. Let's just say this rotten internet had a brain fart & the post went bye bye.

Sadly,

Sue

Hello Sue and Lewie, glad you had a nice tour in Kauai, also enjoyed that tour. Sorry you missed Maui, hope the seas are not to hard on you. Disappointing about Ultimate Deck party-looking forward to it as always so much fun! We are going to be on the ship and enjoy doing things with Elua, so if we miss ports next cruise will be ok. Can't expect much with the Pacific Ocean this time of year except to make it there and back safely.

Lewie, glad you are enjoying eating in Horizon Court, save some food for us-lol! Did you make Hawaiian bead leis? Appreciate your taking time to post. Please try to post again as you get closer to LA and the seas calm down. Thank you very much for the whale update too and glad you are seeing them. Seadeck2

DAY 10 - ON THE OPEN SEAS - pm entry from Aunt Sue

I got the Duty Free on board prices from the onboard shop, for Yvonne:

- GIN - $17.95/liter Princess Retail OR 2 for $29.99; Tanqueray $18.95/l; Bombay Saphire $26.95/l ; Gordon's $14.95/liter.

- RUM - Bacardi 8 $23.95/ l; Bacardi Limon $16.95/l; Bacardi Superior $16.95 for 40 oz; Captain Morgan $15.95/l; Cruzan Banana Rum $11.95/l or 2/$19.99; Cruzan coconut, mango, and pineapple rum is same; Jamaican Appleton Rum $19.95/l or 2/$36.99; Malibu Coconut Rum $14.95/l; Meyers Rum$18.95/l

COGNAC - Courvoisier VS $$28.95/l; Courvoisier VSOP $53.95/l; Courvoisier XO $199.95/l; Hennessy VS $41.95/l; Hennessy Black $54.95/l; Hennessy Privilege $$69.95/l; Hennessy XO $195.95; Hennessy Paradis $659.95/700ml, Special $399.99; Remy Martin VSOP $66.95/l; Remy Martin XO $149.95/700ml; Remy Martin Diamanté $$999.95/700ml, Special $599.99; Remy Martin Louis XIII $3,495.95/liter.

I have found some wait staff I truly like in Portofinos. The waiter is a Filipino named Ariel and his assistant is Hendra from Indonesia. They both serve elegantly and spoil me to death. They have a section near the window, so the view is top notch. I'm trying to get in with them tonight, as Lewie is still smitten by the Horizon. Since I haven't regained my sea legs yet, the only thing I've left the room for today is meals. Otherwise, I've been in a prone position in my bed. Since the captain is really putting the pedal to the metal, I'm expecting to find my sea legs in the morning. I may try to hit a show tonight after eating.

I'm looking forward to a lovely sea day tomorrow. More from Lewie & me tomorrow.

Smooth sailing to all,

Sue

Sue I love reading about how you and Lew are enjoying this marvellous cruise.

Thank you so very much for getting me those prices. I appreciate it. But I do not think I will purchase the Remy Martin Louis XIII

Thanks again

We did this cruise in December and it was our favorite cruise to date. We are thinking we might do it again.

Does Elua know their assignment for the fall? Does David Cole? They really are a great team.

I hope the seas settle down for you!

DAY 11 - ON THE OPEN SEAS - AUNT SUE

You're hearing from me again because Lewie has decided to take a sabbatical from his writing career.

Last night Lewie went to the hypnotist show. Although I had cautioned him to only watch and NOT to allow someone he didn't know to hypnotize him, I heard from half the ship that he had volunteered to be a willful participant in the show. When he returned from the show, he didn't admit anything to me, but he became very aggressive and unkind to me. I'm seriously think inking about taking my own sabbatical from my travels with Lewie, but I won't rush to any decision.

During the day today, the Atrium was a hopping place. There was "The Great Egg Drop Challenge, where cruisers boxed eggs up on a higher level and dropped them to the Piazza on 5. Folks seemed to enjoy it. There was a fashion show with cruisers as models. This was very popular with people watching from all levels, even blocking an entire stairway to sit down and get a good view.

Musically in the Atrium, there were piano melodies with David Juneau; a World class Adagio Duo, Avex and Evgenia; Elua in concert; and Line Dancing lessons.

In the Princess, there was a production show, Destination Anywhere, with the Princess Singers & Dancers. In the Vista was Gypsy Melodies by the Jozsef Mezei Trio.

On the way to the Captain's Cocktail party, the Captain came over the intercom to share the news that the swells would soon reduce. In the line, we heard that we may receive some compensation for missing the Maui port. We met Captain McBain at the party and he was delightful. I took the opportunity to thank him for being such a proficient captain!

We went to Formal Night in the Capri Dining Room. Our waiters were Guillermo and Jose, both from Mexico City. I had the lobster, yum, yum! Lewie chose the pork, and Guillermo was kind enough to cut it up for him. We very much enjoyed the other 8 cruisers at our oval table for 10.

Enjoying the calmer seas,

Sue

DAY 12 - ON THE OPEN SEAS - AUNT SUE

There's not too much to talk about. I got up too late to go to the dining room for breakfast. I had a hard time walking around the ship, despite the smooth sailing due to a breathing malady. I ate breakfast in the Horizon with a German doctor and her husband. They were lovely people and she wanted to know haw Obamacare is being received in the USA.

Refunds were issued to our accounts since US ports are not as greedy as European ports, which keep the port tax regardless of the circumstances. People are smiling because we each received $214.16/person from the Lahaina, Maui port authority. Of course we would rather have gone to Maui, but the bonus softened the blow for us.

Tomorrow I go for another spa treatment, so life is good onboard the Star.

Thank you for your enjoyable live thread. What is IC?

The IC is the International Cafe. Actually not an enclosed eatery, but a set of display cases and a specialty drinks (coffee/tea/hot chocolate) counter. Most Princess ships now have it, and it's usually located in the Piazza, which is on the bottom deck (Plaza) of the Grand Atrium. The only charges are for the specialty drinks and gelato (not all of the ICs serve gelato). You just tell the server what item you want and you get it on a plate (or bowl, if soup), which you can take just about anywhere on the ship. On the Golden Princess, there's some tables there, but most of the time (if there's entertainment going on there), they're often taken. I've taken items to our cabin or to a lounge (a late afternoon treat for the 4:30 trivia match, for example). I'm jonesing right now for the yummy chocolate chip cookies served there. It's a good place to get a quick, light meal.

I hope you and Lewie can work out travelling together, sorry it has been a little rough for you. I appreciate your taking time to post and taking care of the ship for us. I know you are probably not anxious to leave the Star, but I cannot wait to board!!! Seadeck2

DAY 13 ON THE OPEN SEAS

Let's start with the drama of the day: Princess took away the $214.16 credit they had made to our accounts, and replaced it with a $2.00 credit. They cited an error by a bookkeeper. Oh yeah? Many of us had spent part of the credit already. I bought $79.96 worth of photographs. I had never bought a photo on board before.

Some bought make-up which they immediately used so can not return. Some bought lots of drinks which they have already consumed. There's not a lot of happy campers for this stunt.

I went for another spa sampler treatment with Jody. As I had slept poorly the night before, I slept a lot during the treatment. Jody is good at what she does and very sweet. After the treatment, I went to my room and slept for a couple more hours. Life is good on the Star.

Susie - IC IS International Cafe

Make it a great day, all of you,

Sue

Let's start with the drama of the day: Princess took away the $214.16 credit they had made to our accounts, and replaced it with a $2.00 credit. They cited an error by a bookkeeper. Oh yeah? Many of us had spent part of the credit already. I bought $79.96 worth of photographs. I had never bought a photo on board before.

When I first read the amount in your earlier post, I thought that was an awful lot to receive for Lahaina Port Charges. Especially since the total fees and taxes for this cruise is $100. Then I thought maybe it included compensation for missing Maui. When I did this cruise on the Golden in 2011, we missed both Maui and Kauai due to bad weather. Every passenger received a future cruise credit of $250.

Someone clearly dropped the ball on this. I can't imagine any Princess employee thinking the Port Charges for Lahaina was over $200 a person. I'm hoping that Princess does the right thing and address this. I'm an easy going person, but I would be upset about this mistake too. Especially if I went out and spent the credit that Princess gave me.

DAY 14 ON THE OPEN SEAS - APPROACHING ENSENADA - AUNT SUE

You will be glad to hear that Lewie and I have patched up our differences. Although he is sticking to his sabbatical from writing, he is being very helpful running errands for me. He has stopped at the Purser's desk numerous times to ask Edgar if we can participate in Sunday Mass on our Sunday call in Ensenada. He did not get his Irish up when I disabled his account. He doesn't seem to have an issue with getting permission from me for spending his money; So I guess you would say that this "marriage" has been saved.

Yesterday I watched Jack Reacher, with Tom Cruise, on in room TV. It was a compelling movie. The day before, I watched The Proposal, with Sandra Bullick. It was a cute chick flick.

We learned that the Super Bowl will not be on in-room TV; however, Princess has a license for public areas. It will play Under The Stars, in The Explorer and in Crooners.