What has happened to Celebrity?

Jeal

I don't think we can necessarily assume all the A Cappella groups are gone, or do we know this for sure? I was on a cruise that did not have one, but the next one did. Perhaps we were incorrectly assuming they would always have one?

As to going downhill, I think overall compared to 20+ years ago when I first started cruising Celebrity there are some areas that have changed for the worst. And there are some that have changed for the better! I am about to embark on my 24th X cruise in March, and I can say that of all those cruises I have had only one that was not up to par. And yet the next few after that were amazing. Had I decided to 'jump ship' so to speak I would have missed those great cruises.

Perhaps, and I can only suggest as an idea as of course I do not know, the OP is just getting tired of the Celebrity brand? Or perhaps their expectations are rising as they become more experienced cruisers? Or perhaps the areas where there might have been some decline are those areas that are very important to them. Personally, I couldn't care less about the entertainment being excellent - good enough is good enough for me. I want the food to be at least very good most of the time (and occasionally excellent) and the service to always be at least very good. I am rarely disappointed in these regards.

We recently sailed on the Eclipse again and have to say that things have changed. Usually we love sailing with Celebrity.

The food was of lower quality and the entertainment was hit or miss.

It's normal for cruise ships to change their show programs from time to time. You can also see different performances of the same program.

So it happens everywhere: this variation is "within normal limits".

To compare "everything food" you need to be more specific. I am not saying it cannot deteriorate, but more info is necessary to assess the difference.

We had a cruise on the Eclipse about two years ago and have no desire to cruise on Celebrity since then.

The major issue is ship's design and lack of amenities.

My attention by far is driven by general interest in ships and cruising, and my work on the detailed review.

However, the Eclipse is the best Celebrity ship and I recommend it for those who want to try Celebrity product.

Edited by cruisetrail

That is exactly how we felt - how can one be bored on a ship In the Caribbean?

That's a question I am asking myself.

It's technically not possible and as an experienced cruiser I will never let it happen (know how).

But...

There is a big But.

Looking back on our cruise on the Eclipse I realize that it was the closest to that point ever.

Fortunately it was a part of a B2B cruise. And the other ship was a locomotive our B2B cruise vacation. Celebrity ship was pale in comparison in every aspect (except a few things not of a great importance). Even the itinerary was the least interesting (we cruised for the ship actually).

I was busy exploring the ship inch by inch - this is what I like to do. And this (and also a good company) is what helped me have "a good time on a cruise".

Celebrity is by no means a "no go" product.

But with so many other options... woohoo!

I don't think we can necessarily assume all the A Cappella groups are gone, or do we know this for sure? I was on a cruise that did not have one, but the next one did. Perhaps we were incorrectly assuming they would always have one?

As to going downhill, I think overall compared to 20+ years ago when I first started cruising Celebrity there are some areas that have changed for the worst. And there are some that have changed for the better! I am about to embark on my 24th X cruise in March, and I can say that of all those cruises I have had only one that was not up to par. And yet the next few after that were amazing. Had I decided to 'jump ship' so to speak I would have missed those great cruises.

Perhaps, and I can only suggest as an idea as of course I do not know, the OP is just getting tired of the Celebrity brand? Or perhaps their expectations are rising as they become more experienced cruisers? Or perhaps the areas where there might have been some decline are those areas that are very important to them. Personally, I couldn't care less about the entertainment being excellent - good enough is good enough for me. I want the food to be at least very good most of the time (and occasionally excellent) and the service to always be at least very good. I am rarely disappointed in these regards.

I'm the OP and we are very experienced cruisers. We have been cruising with Celebrity for a long time. We have always thought of Celebrity as a step above. This time, it was not nearly the experience we have enjoyed in the past. They ran out of several things on our cruise including bananas, whipped cream for the waffles, and most of the herbal teas at Cafe Bacio. We really do expect Celebrity to order enough supplies to last an entire cruise especially tea which is not perishable. The entertainment was just okay. The production shows were the best. Anyway, since this is a place to share our experiences on cruise ships I shared mine. No one has to agree or disagree. I was just sharing our latest experience.

We went on Equinox couple of years ago and said wow great entertainment. Went on constellation in Europe b2b and it was severely lacking. We thought must be better in the newer ships and went on Eclipse this last November and it was the worst yet. Really disappointing. Probably back to Royal for us.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I think you have "hit the nail on the head." We all have different likes and dislikes so it is highly probable that those who are disappointed in a cruise need to try a different line where, perhaps, there is a different emphasis.

That is exactly how we felt - how can one be bored on a ship In the Caribbean?

It was disappointing!

Because after taking a number of Caribbean cruises it becomes boring. All ports very similar. I reinvigorated my cruise pleasure by booking European cruises.

As far as your particular sailing I have cruised on the same ship several months apart and had different experiences. The food, a lot depends on the head chef. Even with the same menus. Also a change in Captains can change the whole atmosphere. Differerent management styles. Some stress out the crew and if the crew is unhappy, you can feel it on the ship.

Edited by Charles4515

I think you have "hit the nail on the head." We all have different likes and dislikes so it is highly probable that those who are disappointed in a cruise need to try a different line where, perhaps, there is a different emphasis.

There is a well known malady known as cruise burn-out.

Try another form of vacation, a river cruise or land journey..

It's normal for cruise ships to change their show programs from time to time. You can also see different performances of the same program.

So it happens everywhere: this variation is "within normal limits".

To compare "everything food" you need to be more specific. I am not saying it cannot deteriorate, but more info is necessary to assess the difference.

We had a cruise on the Eclipse about two years ago and have no desire to cruise on Celebrity since then.

The major issue is ship's design and lack of amenities.

My attention by far is driven by general interest in ships and cruising, and my work on the detailed review.

However, the Eclipse is the best Celebrity ship and I recommend it for those who want to try Celebrity product.

I don't even know where to start on the food...there have been so many cutbacks...here's a few

Ribeye...it was a tough piece of sirloin steak...no way it was ribeye

Sea Bass...less than 1/2" thick...I have NEVER seen sea bass that thin

Crab & mushroom risotto..NO CRAB

French toast....hard as a rock

We went on Equinox couple of years ago and said wow great entertainment. Went on constellation in Europe b2b and it was severely lacking. We thought must be better in the newer ships and went on Eclipse this last November and it was the worst yet. Really disappointing. Probably back to Royal for us.

Been cruising on Celebrity since 1996 and never felt entertainement was their strong point. Never was wowed by entertainement on Celebrity. For that I booked Royal Caribbean or Princess. Royal Caribbean will wow you in that aspect. Too bad the food is mediocre on Royal. Celebrity's strong point is food and service. Was on Equinox late last year and really liked the ship and the cruise. Thought the food and service pretty good. The entertainement , meh, except for Sin City comedy show. But since it was a destination cruise in Europe the entertainement was not that important.

Edited by Charles4515

Been cruising on Celebrity since 1996 and never felt entertainement was their strong point. Never was wowed by entertainement on Celebrity. For that I booked Royal Caribbean or Princess. Royal Caribbean will wow you in that aspect. Too bad the food is mediocre on Royal. Celebrity's strong point is food and service. Was on Equinox late last year and really liked the ship and the cruise. Thought the food and service pretty good. The entertainement , meh, except for Sin City comedy show. But since it was a destination cruise in Europe the entertainement was not that important.

I will agree...Equinox March 2013 the food was pretty good

Reflection December 2013...not so good :(

Just how many bad cruises does it take to make you look at other options?

To play devil's advocate - but why not? If he's growing disenchanted with the line, it makes sense to check out alternatives. There's a lot of choices and, to be frank, you'd be foolish to limit yourself to a single line for all your cruises. (I have my favorites as well, but my preferences and recommendations will vary by itinerary and circumstance)

And it's likely that after examining the "greener grass" on the other side of the fence, he'll be happy to return to the (actual) turf of Celebrity.

Edited by MarkBearSF

Equinox November, December 2013, food was great but the music was absolutely horrible (except Sean Golden.) Also noticed that the wait staff were stretched to the max, especially in Select Dining. We still had chocolates on pillows, ice bucket etc. Also noticed that things have gone downhill in Aqua Spa & after the first day didn't bother again.

I would not say things have gone " downhill" with X- some things just change, as they always have and always will be! Some for the better , some less.

For me also some of the new things brought in are not to my likeing- the loud music all over the place for example- but that seems solved at least!

My last Cunard experience was great and I must say- they are very compareable to X- well at least Britannia Class was.

Michael

Over the course of our 23 cruises we have noted downgrades in services and food with all of the lines. At the same time we have seen amazing changes in the features and amenities of the ships. Our first X cruise on Horizon in 1993 (or so) on a ship with no balconies was only around $400 less than we are paying for our AQ1 on Reflection on 3/29. Since we're paying way less in adjusted $ it wouldn't be reasonable to expect the same level of cruise experience. Too bad.

I totally agree that the larger s- class ships are less personal than the M- class ships. I am not fussy at all but just prefer the smaller M-class to the larger, less personal s-class ships.

I don't really like the mega- ship trend but it's the wave of the future and the smaller ships will probably disappear from the Celebrity fleet.

Well I spoke more about changes in general- but you are right, there are certain things that are " better " - for one it´s the cruise prices- they have gone down - I pay the same price for cruises as I did back in 1997 or so. We cry for cruise bargains, cheaper cruise prices and complain about things that are no longer as they used to be.

I wonder has anyone tried to book a hotel ( 4 or 5 star) for a week??? Did you see the price- I have- and now compare it to a week on board a ship , were all meals are included, shows are included, you see different parts of the world in the package, okay the cabin may be a bit smaller than a 4 or 5 star hotel room! THAT IS HARD TO BEAT!

Edited by Germancruiser

We have sailed Celebrity 15 times over about the same number of years, we have noticed two primary changes. Wait staff have more tables and the quality of the music has declined, but that is a matter of taste. Since we rely on neither crew nor other passengers to entertain us, I have no idea what other people do to avoid being bored.

I'm with you. The waiters in the MDR are so overwhelmed, it's pitiful. Those in Aqua don't have it much better. I don't think I've ever been bored in my life except when I've been in bad company. I feel sorry for those poor souls who depend on being entertained or being in a group in order to be happy. Inner resources, so important. But to each his own.

What is really up to the standard of years ago? Certainly, flying economy class is not; department stores have cut back on their staff; many teachers have to buy their own classroom supplies--and I could go on. A mantra in the USA today seems to be "profit over people." Shareholders have to get their dividends, executives their bonuses, and so many do not want to pay their fair share of taxes. On the other hand, I honestly cannot complain too much about cruising. It continues to be excellent value for what we pay, and does not seem to me to be that much more than what we paid years ago when cruising was not so popular. But, obviously, some people have their expectations high and then are disappointed when a cruise does not measure up.

You're right but the other side of the coin is where people expect first class service for bargain prices.

You're right but the other side of the coin is where people expect first class service for bargain prices.

I'd rather pay more than get a dumbed down version...pay more for the cruise that is...I don't feel I should pay more in taxes just because I may (or may not) make more $$$.

We recently sailed on the Eclipse again and have to say that things have changed. Usually we love sailing with Celebrity.

The food was of lower quality and the entertainment was hit or miss. Some it was good and some of it was just tolerable.

We did have a little adult entertainment one night in the Sky Lounge where an obviously inebriated man spent several minutes massaging the breasts of the woman he was with. It was hysterical. They both were so totally loaded they were oblivious to the people around them.

All of the employees that we encountered were friendly but obviously have a heavy workload.

The cruise was relaxing but boring.

We canceled our March 2014 cruise with Celebrity as soon as we got home. We still have one booked for March 2015.

We aren't sure if we will book with Celebrity after that.

We sailed Celebrity once and found the cruise boring also. RCCL is alot for fun.

Equinox November, December 2013, food was great but the music was absolutely horrible (except Sean Golden.) Also noticed that the wait staff were stretched to the max, especially in Select Dining. We still had chocolates on pillows, ice bucket etc. Also noticed that things have gone downhill in Aqua Spa & after the first day didn't bother again.

Sean is absolutely first class.

Sorry, but at the price we pay for our main Celebrity Cruise holiday of any year a 'so so' cruise isn't acceptable on this line --- or any line. Life's too short - and holidays too few - for just satisfactory ones. I want to go and know that I will have an amazing experience that is far above the others.

Operators are standing by at Regent, Silversea, Oceania and Seabourn to accept your payment of $300 to $1300 per day... :cool:

I have never paid more than $60/day for my 73 days on Celebrity, and most of those days were under $50/day. :)

there are certain things that are " better " - for one it´s the cruise prices- they have gone down - I pay the same price for cruises as I did back in 1997 or so. We cry for cruise bargains, cheaper cruise prices and complain about things that are no longer as they used to be.

has anyone tried to book a hotel for a week??? Did you see the price- I have- and now compare it to a week on board a ship , were all meals are included, shows are included, you see different parts of the world in the package, okay the cabin may be a bit smaller THAT IS HARD TO BEAT!

Thank you for the voice of sanity and reason! ;)

Forget the 4 or 5 star Hotels, I can't get a Motel 6 and eat at Taco Bell...

...for the same price I can cruise on Celebrity! :eek: :D :rolleyes:

Edited by teecee60