I got to meet Gavin MacLeod (Capt. Stubbing)

Go-Bucks!

Just had to tell fellow CCers what a kind and interesting man Gavin MacLeod is. I met and talked with him at a travel show yesterday. He first spoke to a group of people about his life, faith, career (McHale's Navy, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Love Boat, and stage acting) and his autobiography. He also took questions and shared about his faith in Jesus.

After the talk, he met people individually, signed autographs and posed for pictures. He is very down to earth and personable. He was telling me that many Hollywood celebrities are Christians and are in Bible studies like his. He also said that when he and his wife sail on Princess, he leads the Sunday church service. He then told me a bit about his family too.

What a great experience; can't wait to read his latest book. :D

This may be sacrilegious here on the Princess board, but when I think of Gavin MacLeod I think of the wise cracking Murray Slaughter on the Mary Tyler Moore Show. The banter between him and Ted Knight (Ted Baxter) was some of the best in TV history.

Just had to tell fellow CCers what a kind and interesting man Gavin MacLeod is. I met and talked with him at a travel show yesterday. He first spoke to a group of people about his life, faith, career (McHale's Navy, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Love Boat, and stage acting) and his autobiography. He also took questions and shared about his faith in Jesus.

After the talk, he met people individually, signed autographs and posed for pictures. He is very down to earth and personable. He was telling me that many Hollywood celebrities are Christians and are in Bible studies like his. He also said that when he and his wife sail on Princess, he leads the Sunday church service. He then told me a bit about his family too.

He is still alive?

"Thats cool! Where was it?"

Columbus, Ohio

"This may be sacrilegious here on the Princess board, but when I think of Gavin MacLeod I think of the wise cracking Murray Slaughter on the Mary Tyler Moore Show. The banter between him and Ted Knight (Ted Baxter) was some of the best in TV history."

Yes, I always enjoy watching reruns of that show. He said that Ted Knight was his very close friend and that before Ted died he asked Gavin why he had so much joy and peace. Gavin was then able to lead Ted to faith in Christ.

"He is still alive?"

He's 82 and seems to be in good health.

This may be sacrilegious here on the Princess board, but when I think of Gavin MacLeod I think of the wise cracking Murray Slaughter on the Mary Tyler Moore Show. The banter between him and Ted Knight (Ted Baxter) was some of the best in TV history.

Agree! Loved Murray! :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

He said that the time period while on this show was a very unhappy time of his life and that the director was very mean. :(
Sorry to hear that. I always liked that show. Although I do remember hearing once that Ernest Borgnine and Joe Flynn didn't get along.

Very nice!

I ran in to him and his son while I was on a motorcycle trip up in South Dakota. The nice folks at the Crazy Horse monument slotted me in with a group that was going to the top of the monument. Until I got on the van, I didn't know who was in the group. He was very down to earth and just plain fun to talk to.

Here's a link to a picture from up there.

How neat! Meeting a celebrity isn't a thrill to me, but meeting a person who seems to be humble, generous, interesting and friendly is always a positive experience. He's one I wouldn't mind meeting!

from one who has lived too close to Hollywood my whole life;).......you put my thoughts into words ..thanks...

Very nice!

I ran in to him and his son while I was on a motorcycle trip up in South Dakota. The nice folks at the Crazy Horse monument slotted me in with a group that was going to the top of the monument. Until I got on the van, I didn't know who was in the group. He was very down to earth and just plain fun to talk to.

Here's a link to a picture from up there.

great shot of the momument.....and the men too;)

My age may be showing, but I remember him from McHale's Navy.

If Murray had sailed with Ted Knight, Ted might have gotten "accidentally" lost at sea.

Steve

good one....

Thanks for sharing.....I had forgotten he was on the MTM show and MN ..but then again I was pretty young...was I watching reruns.....???

You posters are making me smile with your comments and photos....

Edited by land lover

Recently on the Sapphire they had a recorded interview with him about his life...a very interesting man. I learned that he was originally cast as Lou Grant (Ed Asner) but that Gavin prefered the roll of Murray.

In Kelly's Heroes he irritated Oddball (Donald Sutherland) with too many 'negative waves'. :eek:

Edited by Astro Flyer

I finished reading his autobiography this past Xmas on the Emerald Princess which I thought was quite appropo..........and yes he has led a most interesting life. So happy for you that you were able to not only meet Gavin, but to have a nice chat with him.:) Here's to many more sailings, Captain Stubbing!!!!!!!!!!

He was on a cruise with us. He patiently and graciously took pictures with all of us that waited in line. It was kind of cool. Here we were on the "love boat" with the "captain". I will agree, he was very down to earth and in general a very nice guy. Very personable. I'm sure he got his cruise free for the photo op BUT I've seen other entertainers that were complete jerks. He talked about his family and made you feel completely at ease. Princess ended up with a ery good representative with him.