My kid's refused Circle C!

Trizzy

I took my 14 year old son and 12 year old daughter on the Dream last August.. I was pretty certain they would love joining the children's club activities but boy was I wrong!! Lol.

Fast forward a few days into the cruise I found out that some of the teens where smoking and drinking on the ship. I'm sure it was a handful of them but my kids made it a point to let me know that they made a right decision by not signing up for the Kid's club. They had a great time anyway and it was nice seeing them enjoy each other on the trip. I may plan another for us next year!!

I took my 14 year old son and 12 year old daughter on the Dream last August.. I was pretty certain they would love joining the children's club activities but boy was I wrong!! Lol.

Fast forward a few days into the cruise I found out that some of the teens where smoking and drinking on the ship. I'm sure it was a handful of them but my kids made it a point to let me know that they made a right decision by not signing up for the Kid's club. They had a great time anyway and it was nice seeing them enjoy each other on the trip. I may plan another for us next year!!

Was Justin Bieber the activities director?

• Like 1

In my limited experience, my son has used Circle C and O2 mostly as a meeting place and then he and his friends just hang out. I wish he would stay with the structured activities more but as the teens can come or go as they please, that's hard to enforce. The number of parents with few expectations for their teens can make it challenging too. I'm glad your kids chose to spend time with you, it probably made the trip better for everyone.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• Like 1

We are days away from February, or six months past your cruise. In all other six of your posts you didn't mention this.

When you reported this to Carnival on the ship what was the response?

Where were these kids drinking and smoking?

Just trying to get a handle on why now, and why not then.

Edited by BallFour4
  • Like 1

In one of the past guest parties, there were three young ladies in front of us. They were very young but seemed old enough to drink. But when the waiter offered them alcoholic drinks. ALL of them refused and indicated they were underage. Yes, there are good teens on Carnival ships too.

We are days away from February, or six months past your cruise. In all other six of your posts you didn't mention this.

When you reported this to Carnival on the ship what was the response?

Where were these kids drinking and smoking?

Just trying to get a handle on why now, and why not then.

1. It happens

2. Carnival ships are lax in security

3. Generally speaking, kids are not well supervised by parents on Carnival ships, more so than other ships

4. Generally speaking, the widespread use of rum runners give easy access to booze to kids.

5. Generally speaking, those parents allow kids to drink because it is "not Illegal".

6. Whenever, you have a large group of parents who allow kids to roam free, and do what they want, you will have little "gangs" of good kids, and not so good kids running around.

• Like 1

My 12 & 17 year old daughters met new friends during the 1st day of visiting the kids clubs. After that day, they never went back, just hung around the ships in their groups. They would go back occasionally, but teen groups win out at everything.

I'm not saying Carnival doesn't provide a good product for the teens, but I know that my kids would rather do hangout together with their friends all over the ship.

• Like 1

Help me understand this. I think you are saying that they were smoking and drinking while at Kid's Club? Is this correct? I assume so because you said that your kids made a good decision not to got to the Kid's Club. Personally, i find this very hard to believe. these are supervised activities and the Carnival employees would lose theri jobs if they permitted this to happen.

If it didnt happen at the Kid's Club, then why are you blaming the Kids Club Program?

• Like 1

We just got back from the dream and our daughter (12) met friends the first night. She and her new friends participated in a lot of the activities but also wandered the ship (more then I would have liked). She did not honour her curfew the first night, and got an early curfew which made her feel like a baby. Most of the kids in her group had no time restrictions at all. I would blame parents more then carnival, although giving kids incentives to participate in activities might keep them there longer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We just got back from the dream and our daughter (12) met friends the first night. She and her new friends participated in a lot of the activities but also wandered the ship (more then I would have liked). She did not honour her curfew the first night, and got an early curfew which made her feel like a baby. Most of the kids in her group had no time restrictions at all. I would blame parents more then carnival, although giving kids incentives to participate in activities might keep them there longer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If only all parents were as sensible. I can't imagine letting my daughter roam around on land at the age of 12, I certainly wouldn't let her do it on a ship.

• Like 1

If my children are coming back after a night of drinking and/or smoking, I'd know it. I have senses. I also interact with them at least by mid-morning everyday. My kids do come back late but stay in the cabin with me so it wouldn't be hard to figure out.

As one poster alluded to, there are different "packs" or "cliques" on each cruise and which one your child hooks up with is just as important on the ship as it is in real life and/or school.

• Like 1

If only all parents were as sensible. I can't imagine letting my daughter roam around on land at the age of 12, I certainly wouldn't let her do it on a ship.

I've let my 12 year old roam around on land and at sea. That doesn't make me insensible.

I also have a hard time believing that teens were smoking and drinking in Circle C. If they were hiding somewhere on the ship I'd believe it.

I've let my 12 year old roam around on land and at sea. That doesn't make me insensible.

I also have a hard time believing that teens were smoking and drinking in Circle C. If they were hiding somewhere on the ship I'd believe it.

I'm really sorry that you feel your daughter is old enough to "roam" around on land and on the ship. I guess I am just a really over-protective parent, but, I still worry about my grown children all the time. I just feel that 12 is NOT mature enough to be left to take care of themselves in a difficult situation, if one should arise. JMO

I'm really sorry that you feel your daughter is old enough to "roam" around on land and on the ship. I guess I am just a really over-protective parent, but, I still worry about my grown children all the time. I just feel that 12 is NOT mature enough to be left to take care of themselves in a difficult situation, if one should arise. JMO

Agree 100%. The kids roaming the ship are the ones running in the halls, sneaking to little known areas etc. On land, they are the ones getting into trouble due to having no supervision.

.... As one poster alluded to, there are different "packs" or "cliques" on each cruise and which one your child hooks up with is just as important on the ship as it is in real life and/or school.

This is a very good point. Kids tend to make friends at the club and then hang out on board with the kids they meet. And just like school, there are packs or cliques. Sometimes a kid will end up with the "wrong" group of kids. But most kids know what kind of kid they are and hang with that group. Rarely do packs of "bad" kids lure in "good" kids just for the fun of corrupting them. The troublemaking kids would rather hang with other troublemaking kids.

-------------------------------

Agree. While some posters will have you believe there are pedophiles waiting behind every cabin door to lure in any unaccompanied minor, the truth of the matter is that a ship is a highly controlled environment with hundreds (thousands?) of closed-circuit monitors. Add to that there is a fee to get on board and there is nowhere to run or hide if a manhunt starts, it is excruciatingly unlikely that something untoward will happen to an unaccompanied 12 year old.

That isn't to say that the odds are zero percent (although maybe zero percent after rounding), but they are so infinitessimally small that if you're going to overprotect your kids that much, you'd better get out the bubble wrap. And don't think about ever driving them anywhere in a car.

Edited by T. Advisor King
  • Like 1

Our daughter (14) went the first night and made some friends. They stayed together the whole cruise. They did some of the activities for them, but also just hung out at the pool and ice cream machines a lot. She had set times throughout the day she had to check in with us and she had to let us know her plans so we could also check in on her! I never saw teenagers doing anything, but am not naive enough to know that some will do it whether on a cruise ship or on land at home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1. It happens

2. Carnival ships are lax in security

3. Generally speaking, kids are not well supervised by parents on Carnival ships, more so than other ships

4. Generally speaking, the widespread use of rum runners give easy access to booze to kids.

5. Generally speaking, those parents allow kids to drink because it is "not Illegal".

6. Whenever, you have a large group of parents who allow kids to roam free, and do what they want, you will have little "gangs" of good kids, and not so good kids running around.

none of your responses answer any of the questions the poster asked???:confused:

That being said my son will be 20 in March. He has gone thru Camp Carnival, Circle C and Club 02. Never ever had this experience in either club. In Circle C he hung out there a lot. Club 02 they are older and tend to meet up there and then hang out all over the ship. He has always had a curfew and still at 20 has to check in with me in the cabin at night. Im the paranoid mom, who thinks her kids gonna go overboard. He's always with a pack of kids, now young adults.

Yes, kids will find access to alcohol and cigarettes. But in the Clubs no way. Not gonna ever believe that. Outside the clubs for sure it happens. But don't blame Carnival or the clubs.

Edited by Litewait

Quick summary of this bizarre thread:

-title talks about refusal of Kid club! (Note usage of exclamation point)

-OP states there was drinking and smoking

-However had a great cruise, has another planned

-Someone notes thread starter has 6 posts and went on this cruise last summer, inferring entire post is odd?

-People are debating if the parents suck or is it Carnivals fault that kids were allegedly smoking and drinking.

-obligatory Justin Bieber joke-which made me lol :)

-One poster blames rum runners

-Other posters blame crummy parents who let 12 year olds roam

-Another poster lets her 12 year old roam, but assures us she is not a crummy parent

I predict the next poster will claim it's the 12 year old roamers who caused Noro on the RC ship.

Sorry to interrupt the thread, just making sure I had it all right. :D

We went on the Elation last August ... my kids are a little older (son was16 & my daughter turned 18 on the trip) and I don't think they went even once, but hung out with either us or together the whole time.

That was kind of why we went on the trip ... for family time. They are gone with their friends enough when we are at home.

And lol, too, at the Bieber reference. :D

Sent from my Commadore 64 using the Cruise Critic forum app

Edited by christyran1228

I agree completely. No 12 year old should be roaming around anywhere on their own. My daughter was about as responsible as a kid can be at that age and I would NEVER have allowed that. It's about the others around them, not the child themselves. Letting your CHILD roam around folks who have been drinking all day on a cruise is a very bad idea so I disagree with the mom who said that does not make her "insensible"

This is a very good point. Kids tend to make friends at the club and then hang out on board with the kids they meet. And just like school, there are packs or cliques. Sometimes a kid will end up with the "wrong" group of kids. But most kids know what kind of kid they are and hang with that group. Rarely do packs of "bad" kids lure in "good" kids just for the fun of corrupting them. The troublemaking kids would rather hang with other troublemaking kids.

-------------------------------

Agree. While some posters will have you believe there are pedophiles waiting behind every cabin door to lure in any unaccompanied minor, the truth of the matter is that a ship is a highly controlled environment with hundreds (thousands?) of closed-circuit monitors. Add to that there is a fee to get on board and there is nowhere to run or hide if a manhunt starts, it is excruciatingly unlikely that something untoward will happen to an unaccompanied 12 year old.

That isn't to say that the odds are zero percent (although maybe zero percent after rounding), but they are so infinitessimally small that if you're going to overprotect your kids that much, you'd better get out the bubble wrap. And don't think about ever driving them anywhere in a car.

Frankly it's parents with attitudes like yours who profess to have watched their kids so carefully when something happens to them. It's not just pedophiles and while I agree it is a very safe environment, the OP also said she lets her 12 year old roam around at home as well. It's not pedophiles I would be concerned with, with a 12 year old. Adults are drinking - have you seen what most 12 year girls look like these days? - like 18 year olds. There's inappropriate language and behaviour that can go on that a young person just doesn't need to be exposed to. If it's a family vacation, the 12 year old should be with her family, and the fact that she prefers to roam around alone rather than be with her family speaks volumes to me.