Grand Princess left a couple on Maui

DougH

I have seen several people running for a ship that was sailing away.

Sometimes they are luckier. When we were in Monaco, the Captain announced that our sail away would be delayed because there were to "miscreants" who were still ashore and they were sending a tender back in to get them. I will never again hear the word "miscreants" without remembering that. :p

Edited by PunkiC

Last week in the Ruby in Cozumel we were very late leaving port. I was sitting on my balcony past sailing time, and I saw a couple of passengers walking along the pier. Then lots of passengers started coming back. There were so many of them that it had to be a tour coming back very late. Now I see why the advice is to take a ship's tour in Cozumel if you want to see the Mayan ruins. If these people had been on a private tour the Ruby would have been long gone.

On a 12 day Med cruise, the couple in the cabin next to ours missed the ship twice and had to make their way to the next port each time. The third time they missed they never came back. I have always wondered what Princess did with their luggage!

On a 12 day Med cruise, the couple in the cabin next to ours missed the ship twice and had to make their way to the next port each time. The third time they missed they never came back. I have always wondered what Princess did with their luggage!

My understanding is they take it back to the port of disembarkation and store it. It is the ex-passengers responsibility to claim it and make arrangements to get it home.

On our last cruise we saw a family get left in San Juan, and someone just barely made it in Cozumel. A ships officer was standing outside in both cases with a brown envelope, which contained the tardy passenger's passports that had been retrieved from their cabins.

OP, please clarify. Was it Maui, a tender port, or Kauai?

Pam, would the PVSA apply to missing a return to an island port? It could get very pricy in airline fees since there are no direct flights between Kauai and Hilo.

Any update to their where abouts.

Mahalo

On a recent short cruise with Ensenada the port stop, we were sitting on our balcony waiting for sailaway. Two cabins of people(next to each other) were being paged. Then I saw a ship's officer at the dock. We were way passed sailaway at this point. Since this was the only foreign port on a RT LA 3 day cruise, these people would have had to make their own way to the border and back to LA.

Then I see a man running and three people walking slowly towards the ship behind him. Don't know why we waited , it was an hour after all aboard. People on the balconies watched the first guy gives a thumbs up to us. And then every was applauding. I screamed down "Moron" .

No reason to be late in a port like Ensenada, not much to see but crummy shopping and bars. By the way they were carrying shopping bags.As soon as they boarded the lines were dropped.

I just looked in the dictionary and sure enough there with the definition of "IDIOT" was their picture

Pam, would the PVSA apply to missing a return to an island port? It could get very pricy in airline fees since there are no direct flights between Kauai and Hilo.
Yes. That's my understanding since they were not on the ship when it sailed so technically, they disembarked in a US port other than the embarkation port. Every HI cruise I've been on, they strongly emphasized making it back to the ship on time.

Yes. That's my understanding since they were not on the ship when it sailed so technically, they disembarked in a US port other than the embarkation port. Every HI cruise I've been on, they strongly emphasized making it back to the ship on time.

Thank you for your quick post.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

That's when you need to have the name and phone number of the Port Agent with you. They will help by contacting the ship and making alternate arrangements etc. Don't leave the ship with out it!

Excellent Advice. Thank you Donna.

On a recent short cruise with Ensenada the port stop, we were sitting on our balcony waiting for sailaway. Two cabins of people(next to each other) were being paged. Then I saw a ship's officer at the dock. We were way passed sailaway at this point. Since this was the only foreign port on a RT LA 3 day cruise, these people would have had to make their own way to the border and back to LA.

Then I see a man running and three people walking slowly towards the ship behind him. Don't know why we waited , it was an hour after all aboard. People on the balconies watched the first guy gives a thumbs up to us. And then every was applauding. I screamed down "Moron" .

No reason to be late in a port like Ensenada, not much to see but crummy shopping and bars. By the way they were carrying shopping bags.As soon as they boarded the lines were dropped.

If it was the standard 3 day with a sea day after Ensenada, they probably waited because there was no rush to keep their schedule. They just go out and pretty much go in circles during the at sea day. 12 hours to get to Ensenada, 36 hours to get back to LA

We were on a New England cruise a few years back on the Caribbean Princess. In Boston we took the ship shore excursion to Lexington, Concord and Harvard. We were returning to the ship during rush hour and there was an accident on a bridge. The bus did a big detour and we arrived at port about 30 minutes past all aboard. The bus pulled as close to the gangway as possible and after the last passenger on the bus boarded the gangplank went up and we began pulling away. We were happy to be on a princess excursion. We heard later that 6 people missed the boat due to this traffic incident but they were on their own in a taxi. They made there way to our next port of call, Bar Harbor to board. Due to weather the tenders could not run and we missed the port. They were never able to reboard...So think about those on your own trips:):(

We were in Talllin Estonia last Spring on a Baltic cruise. I think back on board by 4, sail at 5 was the schedule of the day. At about 4 there were still a few stragglers coming up the pier. By about 4:30 all of the pier side gear had been stowed on the ship. There was one man (must have been the port agent) pacing back and forth at the gangway. At about 4:50 he jumped into his car and headed up toward the end of the pier. Just as he was leaving they started dropping the lines. About 5 min later he comes screaming back in the car with three women. They jump out of the car, shopping bags in hand, just as the ship is about 15 feet from the dock. Yelling and waving of arms didn't help as the ship pulled away from the dock.

I hope they had passports with them because they needed to get to Sweden to catch up with the ship. The next day was a sea day and the following day was in Gothenburg Sweden.

We were leaving Cabo, a tender port, couple of years ago. Several people were not yet on board when the ship started to depart. The crew had left one of the tender stations at the ready. A few minutes later one of the private tenders pulled along side and several people had to jump from the tender onto the ship. Quite a sight from our mini-suite balcony right above.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We were in Talllin Estonia last Spring on a Baltic cruise. I think back on board by 4, sail at 5 was the schedule of the day. At about 4 there were still a few stragglers coming up the pier. By about 4:30 all of the pier side gear had been stowed on the ship. There was one man (must have been the port agent) pacing back and forth at the gangway. At about 4:50 he jumped into his car and headed up toward the end of the pier. Just as he was leaving they started dropping the lines. About 5 min later he comes screaming back in the car with three women. They jump out of the car, shopping bags in hand, just as the ship is about 15 feet from the dock. Yelling and waving of arms didn't help as the ship pulled away from the dock.

Some things never change... On the Emerald Princess in June 2009 we had cast off all lines at the dock in Tallinn about 20 minutes late with 4 passengers not on board. I watched from my balcony as a man ran down the pier, spoke to port security, got into a car that careened back down the pier and loaded 3 more passengers - including one in the hatchback - and then careened back to the ship. In the meantime a gangplank had been placed but there were still no lines securing the ship. It was quite a maneuvering feat - and there was no doubt that we were going to leave without them.

We sail the Caribbean and we always have our Passports for this reason ashore in case we need to fly.

Not necessary since if you are not onboard, they will search your safe for your passports to leave with the port agent.

Always important to have the port agent's info when on shore in case of unexpected emergencies so the ship knows where you are. Taking a pic of the patter info is a good idea but so is taking a picture of the port gate with the address outside.

A ship leaving late can cause create large expenses including overtime for port workers. The ship may have to sail faster to the next port and use more fuel.

And if they reboard at a different Hawaii port and return to the mainland on the ship, that is a second violation.

Umm, we were in Kauai yesterday before sailing to Hilo today. Did you mean Kauai, Doug? They could have flown here today and continued the cruise hope that is what happened.

Cheers, Denise.

Guess it was Kauai, not Maui. (we were docked) I can never remember which is which. In any case it was the 3rd island and just before the Big Island. Tomorrow is the most travelled luncheon, I'll ask if they caught up to the ship then if I have a chance

It could get very pricy in airline fees since there are no direct flights between Kauai and Hilo.

Mahalo

Actually there are direct flights, which is when you stay on the same aircraft for all of the flight segments and we've done this between Kauai and the Big Island but there are no non stop flights as all are routed through Honolulu. I know that Hawaiian Airlines, the major carrier between the Hawaiian Islands, gives all of their flight segments a different flight number and you have to deplane and re-board so it appears there are no direct flights but you're can be doing the whole trip on the same aircraft.

It's not that expensive to flight inter-island even last minute and the airlines do the stop in HNL for their benefit not the passenger's. It is like a mini hub setup that is typical for air travel in the USA.

There is still a flight currently available today at 6:30pm Hawaii time, which is 11:30pm EST or 9:30pm PST, for that routing at $137 per person and lots more flights available early tomorrow.

Edited by robtulipe

Actually there are direct flights, which is when you stay on the same aircraft for all of the flight segments and we've done this, between Kauai and the Big Island but there are no non stop flights as all are routed through Honolulu. Hawaiian Airlines, the major carrier between the Hawaiian Islands, gives all of their flight segments a different flight number and you have to deplane and re-board so it appears there are no direct flights.

It's not that expensive to flight inter-island even last minute and the airlines do the stop in HNL for their benefit not the passenger. It is like a mini hub setup that is typical for travel in the USA.

There is still a flight currently available today for that routing at $137 per person.

Yes, I meant to say no "direct" flights from Kauai to Hilo. Now that Aloha Airlines is defunct and Hawaiian pretty much has a monopoly on flights (yes, there are a few smaller companies), I find it amusing that it will cost an average of $100 to get from HNL to Hilo. It is an hour's flight time. Compare that to Jet Blue that will get you from LAX to SFO for half the cost.

Once I had to fly from Hilo to HNL to back track to Maui.

I flew over from LAX to HNL for a round trip fare of $380 last week. That same fare over the summer is $700-$800. Love Hawaiian Airlines, but Hawaii is in need of more competition. Southwest and JetBlue are both considering routes in the near future.

It's a good thing they were not on the Star. They stopped in Lahaina harbor, but the captain decided to skip the port because of high waves and strong winds and head slowly to Ensenada.

Displaced local girl.

Edited by cr8tiv1