How do you spot a first time cruiser?

lisajxoxo

They complain that the staterooms are too small because they have 4 empty suitcases on the side of the bed and can't move in the room.

Or they get out of the stateroom with their life jackets on to go to the drill.

They say "boat", and "who drives this thing", or think towel animals are souvenir and want to bring them back.

Or are not aware they have to get up at 6 o'clock and go put a towel to reserve a lounger by the pool ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I never really notice new cruisers unless I'm actually talking to them and they mention it. I guess I just don't pay that much attention to other people.

I do think it's very nice to see people all wide-eyed and bushy tailed when they first embark. I still get that way myself, so I doubt it's a newbie-only phenomena.

My wife and teenage kids use lanyards while aboard. My wife because she never has anyplace to put her key card, so a lanyard it is. My kids, I don't know why. My 15 yo son would forget his head if it wasn't attached, so it's probably just as well that he uses one.

Hello, my sister and I are taking a cruise on the Epic in April. This will be the first time either of us have ever taken a cruise. We are BEYOND excited.

I keep reading that experienced "cruise takers" can spot a newbie in a split second. So my question is, how can you tell?

Thanks!

p.s. these boards are great, I'm picking up a lot of good info!

Not all first time cruisers are obvious and there are some experienced cruisers who still exhibit the first timer stereotypes. First time cruisers don't wear signs stating such. That said, some cruise lines do color code their key cards according to the passenger's frequent cruiser status. NCL is not one of those lines.

I propose that you will not look like a first time cruiser because you are here gathering information and information is power. You will know most of what to expect in advance. Read the information on the NCL web site and here and ask questions in advance. You'll be fine.

For me, it's the folks that'll wait 5-10 minutes in a line to have their welcome aboard picture taken in front of a photo of the ship on canvas instead of walking ahead and getting an earlier embarkation number. Along that thought, after 18 sailings, I believe that one who hasn't cruised often tends to spend the hefty amount of money for the overpriced photos the cruiseline takes. All the while, there are numerous venues to take a scenic, sentimental photo for yourself.

Well, I carry what might appear to be a large purse (a softsided LeSportSac bag with long strap). In it I have at least my current book and my down travel pillow, which I use to prop up my book. I might also have my insulated cup in there. Sometimes I have my iPad and moderate-size camera in there. Depending on dining area temperatures, there might be a sweater. Plus tissues and lipstick. Maybe I look like a first-time cruiser, but it's all easier to carry this way.

Folks probably think I am a first time cruiser.

I am always amazed at this size of the ships. How orderly the turnaround is. And I always like to explore the entire ship that is on limits to me, even if it is a return to a ship I have sailed.

For me, it's the folks that'll wait 5-10 minutes in a line to have their welcome aboard picture taken in front of a photo of the ship on canvas instead of walking ahead and getting an earlier embarkation number. Along that thought, after 18 sailings, I believe that one who hasn't cruised often tends to spend the hefty amount of money for the overpriced photos the cruiseline takes. All the while, there are numerous venues to take a scenic, sentimental photo for yourself.

I've only been on one cruise so far, and we didn't buy any of the over priced photos. But then I'm a bit of a cheap skate :p

Instead we took our own. One of my favorites was a picture of us, with the front of the ship behind us to the left, and the Sydney opera house behind us to the right.

Edited by nutzo

I have been on over 30 and I can't say as I have ever given it any thought as to who is on their first cruise.

I think you will generally find "veterans" love to be helpful so if you have questions of your fellow cruisers don't hesitate.

The main thing you can do is enjoy yourself, have fun and give not a whit what anybody else thinks.

We are the same way. I really dont pay attention to who is doing what.

Hello, my sister and I are taking a cruise on the Epic in April. This will be the first time either of us have ever taken a cruise. We are BEYOND excited.

When in April are you cruising lisajxoxo? We're on the April 13th Epic cruise and are also first time cruisers, and are furiously counting down the days! I don't really care if people can spot us as newbies...as long as we're having fun and not missing out on anything, it's all good!

Oh fun! We are on the same cruise! :) We are so excited! :)

I'm a long time vacationer and I've cruised a few times now. Any place that does photos like this you will see me in the "5-10" minute line and spend money on shipboard photos. In my case it has absolutely nothing to do with a 1st sailing or a 20th. I hate selfies with a passion. I like photos of my DH and I together, this happens to work for us.

I've only been on one cruise so far, and we didn't buy any of the over priced photos. But then I'm a bit of a cheap skate :p

Instead we took our own. One of my favorites was a picture of us, with the front of the ship behind us to the left, and the Sydney opera house behind us to the right.

And what is better is that:-

a) you know the background is real, not a picture.

b) you have the memory to go with that picture.

I've only been on one cruise so far.

I went into it without over-packing, only bought 2 pictures and that was because my daughter and I don't have many pictures together. I had spent so much time researching the ship that I knew my way around pretty good the moment I stepped on board. I took a large purse onto the ship (I had my meds, edocs, passports, kindle, etc. in it) but switched to a tiny purse just big enough for my ship card and a couple of other small things as soon as we got into our cabin and unpacked. I did not overfill my plate at the buffet (only ate there once).

I spent months on CC and also looking up photos and videos of the ship that I wish I hadn't of known so much about the ship going into it so that I could have had a lot more "wow" moments.

They are the ones who upon first boarding the ship go ahead and take one of the "Drink of the days" being offered on trays and have that shocked look on their face when they are asked for their sign and sail card and realize its not free.

Some newbies think they can take extra time on shore because the "boat" won't leave without them.:) (Not true, by the way.)

Happy sails. Enjoy your first cruise, and keep coming back to Cruise Critic.

Also, be sure to sign up for your cruise roll call. One of the best things you can do before your first cruise.

Kathy

Some newbies think they can take extra time on shore because the "boat" won't leave without them.:) (Not true, by the way.)

I've only sailed a few times, but TWICE I've seen people flat-out RUNNING down the pier towards ships that were already sailing away from Cozumel. This was when the ships still docked right at town, where all the noisy happy chain bars are located (Carlos 'n Charlies and such). (I believe the piers are now a bit further away from the main area of town.) Obviously the ships didn't stop.

My husband and I now make a point to be sure we are planted somewhere watching the piers at "party" ports just so we don't miss that kind of action, and so we can wave the late passengers good-bye.

They are the ones tripping over the raised doorways or wearing there life jackets to the drill.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hahahaha GUILTYYYY!! No one told me about the raised doorways! :eek: Took 4 or 5 "trips" for me to remember it, lol. I don't mind being a newbie... I think people love to share knowledge :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app