Trouble for Capt. on WC

ZSandy25

I've been following all the blogs and haven't seen a mention of such a passenger. I imagine, therefore, the behaviour is not affecting most of the pax, just those in the immediate vicinity, and the crew.

Perhaps everyone is being discrete? I'm sure there are a lot of juicy tidbits that never make it to public blogs, but are shared in private. ;)

Well he was out and about before he holed up in his cabin. And there must be some group of passengers who were affected.

My guess is the Captain wanted to beat the bloggers to the punch by mentioning it, rather than let the bloggers have their say. It's a calculated risk.

on a WC a few years ago (not HAL) we left a passenger behind with his luggage at Easter Island!!! There had been many complaints about him .... I wonder how much it cost him to fly from there to Santiago and then home with a pile of luggage. Actually the next stop is American Samoa ... easy to get out of if you need to but a bit pricey. And not a long hop to Hawaii.

Suggesting a family might send him off to have some time without him is really not unheard of. I have seen it happen on coach tours ... usually the person is returned to family after first night's stop but it is difficult for other passengers and the driver.

Susan

I can tell you what the person on the WC cruise that I was on did to get himself put off. 1) He was annoying some the female passengers, especially the single ladies and 2) When the Captain went to talk to him about he, he cursed at the Captain.

Susan

The information seems a little confusing and of course we are not getting the full story. Is this person drinking ( must have run out by now unless its being delivered to him ??) Is he taking drugs ? He might be ill, physically or mentally. I am sure the problem is being closely monitored.

I can tell you what the person on the WC cruise that I was on did to get himself put off. 1) He was annoying some the female passengers, especially the single ladies

Not smart.

and 2) When the Captain went to talk to him about he, he cursed at the Captain.

Totally stupid.

There's a big difference between "not smart" and "totally stupid". It's the latter that gets you tossed off a ship.

Not smart.

Totally stupid.

There's a big difference between "not smart" and "totally stupid". It's the latter that gets you tossed off a ship.

I guess it depends how "annoying" and in what way but in my book, the "annoying" could qualify as "totally stupid" too. There are some things that just require zero tolerance.

Not smart.

Totally stupid.

I'd hope the first would be more likely to get him thrown off the ship. Being rude is not against the law. Sexual harassment is. I know, I know, the captain makes the rules and passengers should respect him as the ultimate authority onboard. But I would hope, and I think, the captain is more concerned with protecting the 50% or so of the population onboard than getting his feelings hurt by a rude man.

I'd hope the first would be more likely to get him thrown off the ship. Being rude is not against the law. Sexual harassment is. I know, I know, the captain makes the rules and passengers should respect him as the ultimate authority onboard. But I would hope, and I think, the captain is more concerned with protecting the 50% or so of the population onboard than getting his feelings hurt by a rude man.

From what I know of that particular Captain, he was probably going to put him off, but perhaps in a place easier to make flight arrangements out of although I was told told that his exit arrangements from Easter Island were made before we docked... EI had to give permission to leave him .... but Capt. spead up the process after the interview. Or, perhaps he felt that obviously warning the guy was not enough. I don't think it was a case of having his feeling hurt by a rude man.... it was a case of his feeling there was no chance that the individual would not continue his behaviour. I suspect most Captains have to develop rather thick skins when dealing with passengers and this was a Captain with years experience.

Susan

Just a guess on my part :cool: but I 'suspect' if the Captain requests a meeting with anyone aboard the ship, be it officer/crew/staff/guest, odds are really high that meeting will occur. :rolleyes: ..... One way or another.

A shame it is necessary.

I just thought the same thing... don't think I'd be too comfortable if the captain of any ship I was aboard summoned me for a one-on-one private meeting. :-)

Hi. We are about to book our first HAL cruise since 2008, and I haven't been following this board much. ::waving:: Glad to be back! Lots to catch up on!!!

My question is when a person is unwillingly disembarked, how is that handled with the country they are disembarked to? Are they just put off onto the dock? Does the port agent help them arrange transportation? What if it is a country which needs a visa? (Although I suppose they'd have a visitor's visa for arriving on the ship? I seem to remember that from our NZ/Australia cruise on the Volendam.)

Just wondering.

It is sad that it has progressed so far the Captain felt the need to blog about it.

Robin

Robin7,

Don't know how it is handled with the local folks, but the one direct experience I had with such a passenger, the ship did make the airline reservations for the trip home (don't know who paid) and it was arranged for an acquaintance on the ship to accompany the passenger home. This passenger left in a country that did not require a Visa and left willingly due to the "skillful" way the Captain presented the "option" of going home. I really admired the way he handled what was a very difficult situation.

The story - the passenger was assigned to our dinner table, not the folks she was traveling with. Seemingly a very classy, intelligent woman, probably around 50. The first night at dinner the passenger told us - I have bipolar disease. For this cruise I have stopped taking my medication so I can drink alcohol. Well, for the first few evenings the passenger was a most pleasant and interesting dinner companion, but then the residuals from the stopped medications began to wear off and dinner was at first interesting and then very difficult for the other 7 people at the table. Then, due to a major incident NOT involving our dinner table the passenger was put off the ship. Very sad situation, but our dinners returned to being pleasant again.

Robin7,

Don't know how it is handled with the local folks, but the one direct experience I had with such a passenger, the ship did make the airline reservations for the trip home (don't know who paid) and it was arranged for an acquaintance on the ship to accompany the passenger home. This passenger left in a country that did not require a Visa and left willingly due to the "skillful" way the Captain presented the "option" of going home. I really admired the way he handled what was a very difficult situation.

Very interesting. Thanks for replying!

Robin

Yes it was, but I am not sure there was much choice given the reasons the troubled passenger was on the ship. I suspect the group the passenger was traveling with was told that someone had to go with, but I do not know that for sure. To that point they had basically ignored the passenger, even when asked to help.

Knowing the situation/conditions I doubt sending the passenger home alone was reasonable.

On another thread in special interest cruising in the disabled section....there was a mother who had a child with ADD who was adamant that her child should not have to attend the muster drill cuz her child would be in her words "biting, kicking, and screaming."

Sounds to me like attendance at the entire safety drill is even more of a good idea for him or her to really let the little sailor prove he/she should be aboard. If he cannot handle the drill under safe conditions, how would he behave if the worst were to happen and there is an emergency?

Edited by TiogaCruiser