Live from Quest Sea of Cortez cruise

mare s.

Just a quick note from on board. Things for the most part are as good as our past cruises. Food excellent both in MDR and windows and pool grill. Good to see familiar faces. Excellent guest lecturer...Jay Christofferson...a marine biologist. Entertainment so far huge disappointment. Walked out on two shows. But good activities during the day. Capt. Jose is very personable but we haven't seen much of him around the ship. Tomorrow our first port day. If the spotty Internet allows, will try to get back here before the end of the cruise.

Mare s.

Entertainment so far huge disappointment. Walked out on two shows.

Mare s.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and it is always interesting to read postings from people who are onboard. Thank you for taking the time to post.

It is too bad the entertainment has been a disappointment so far. Maybe it will improve. Who is the Cruise Director this journey?

I hope you enjoy your cruise and it is always interesting to read postings from people who are onboard. Thank you for taking the time to post.

It is too bad the entertainment has been a disappointment so far. Maybe it will improve. Who is the Cruise Director this journey?

Tony Markey is currently on Journey as I recall, though this post was about Quest.

Thanks to the OP I love these live updates and look forward to hearing more about life on the Sea of Cortez, a trip I have fancied doing at some point myself

Just a quick note from on board. Things for the most part are as good as our past cruises. Food excellent both in MDR and windows and pool grill. Good to see familiar faces. Excellent guest lecturer...Jay Christofferson...a marine biologist. Entertainment so far huge disappointment. Walked out on two shows. But good activities during the day. Capt. Jose is very personable but we haven't seen much of him around the ship. Tomorrow our first port day. If the spotty Internet allows, will try to get back here before the end of the cruise.

Mare s.

Thank you so much for posting. Especially the part about liking it as much as past Azamara cruises (entertainment excepted). I always worry that when I love my first experience on a new ship that no other ship can compare, but it looks like no worries on that score. What were the shows you didn't like? We were lucky enough to have an incredible singer although my opinion of the lecturer was on par with yours of the entertainment. :p

Mare s.

Hi Mare S,

Thank you for posting. Sorry to hear about the entertainment. While I think many would agree it's not a strong point of the smaller ships, we were quite happy with the entertainment offerigns on Journey in 2011. I hope you will share additional insights on Captain Jose when time permits.

Have a wonderful cruise !

Hi all. Just returned from ship excursion in Mazatlan. It was very good. Just 23 of us on the bus. The entertainment so far has been the singers and dancers and a violin duo. The singers tried hard but IMO not nearly as talented as on our previous cruises. And I guess I'm not a huge fan of violin unless its with a symphony orchestra. But Max is good and we have a guitarist who is good, so all not lost.

Park Lane not too intrusive but it a shame to see the area inMosaic formerly e piano area now is the Park Lane desk and another long table with liquor bottles (for premium upgrades) I am happy with what is offered and am steadily working my way through the included cocktails! Tonight is Le Club Voyage cocktail party so I should have more to say about Capt Jose.

Mare

Max is great and Simon, the guitarist also. Had problem with AC, too cold, but fixed immediately. LaPaz City Higlights tour not good, poor guide but others said the other bus guide was good, luck of the draw.

Capt. Jose very friendly, loves the mike at the cocktail parties.

More later,

Esther and Joe

Hi Thanks for your blog on the cruise, keeping a close eye on it. We are on quest cruise 18th feb from LA - believe we have the same azamazing evening in cabo - would appreciate a run down on how the evening went on yours so we can make an informed choice. regards cheznick.

An English journalist is also blogging from this cruise....

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2014/02/the-blog-from-the-sea-of-corte-1.html

(Yes I know it is the Mirror.....):eek::rolleyes:

I've been to The Copper Canyon on the train ride. It was fabulous. I wonder what this fellow will find to disappoint him?

He has, obviously, gotten more than his share of lemons and has not learned to make lemonade.:)

Well for you cousins from across the pond, the daily mirror is a well known what we call "red rag" or " gutter press" so its not surprising he is dissing the cruise so far . its the sort of thing which pays in the british press. im sure he is really enjoying his totally and utterly FREE cruise.

I've been to The Copper Canyon on the train ride. It was fabulous. I wonder what this fellow will find to disappoint him?

He has, obviously, gotten more than his share of lemons and has not learned to make lemonade.:)

It's OK - he likes the Canyon!

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2014/02/by-chepe-train-on-a-quest-to-c.html

Back again from Loreto. Capt Jose is terrific...almost as good as capt Carl. White Night last night and it really was fun. Just heard that the venue for our azamazing evening has been changed "due to logistical problems." Instead of botanical garden they are taking us to a hotel and there will be a folklorico show. A warning to eat dinner before departure...I guess just desserts will be served. Not sure if we will go...we had local dancers on board last night and it seems that most of the evening is going to be spent going to and returning from the hotel. I will report back if we do go, or I'm sure someone else will.

Mare

We took the nature cruise in Quaymas, lots of birds. Dolphin rode the bow and stern waves, great photo ops.

In Loreto, as mare wrote, white night was wild, quite chilly but Esther wore long johns under her whites and was happy. We took a tour provided by our TA. Walked through town to the Mission and then were entertained at a reception on the patio, fruit, wine and cheese, music and and dancing, and then stayed in town for window shopping. Loreto is clean and neat, a step back in time.

Thanks Mare re the Azamazing evening. Assume same will happen to us and we will be changed to the same venue as yours. Sounds another C**k up on the part of Azamara on the Azamazing eve front. If you hear any more or have any info after yours has taken place please let us know.

regards

nick and Cheryl

Been talked into going by travel companions so I will be reporting back. It is going to be quite a logistics problem to get everyone on tenders and buses...we are told they will call us by floor and room number...we are to proceed to cabaret and get sticker for tender and then to shore and to a bus. We'll see how it works.

Saw lots of whales this morning while I was doing my usual morning walk on deck 10. Soon we will arrive in Cabo, so bye bye for now.

Mare

Back home today. All in all it was another wonderful cruise and I'll be writing a more detailed review in a day or two.

As for the Azamazing Evening...I'm afraid it wasn't so amazing for me, although I do admit that some people seemed to enjoy it very much. Logistically it worked perfectly...we were loaded onto tenders and then onto buses with a minimum of problems (same on the way back) but it did feel a bit like a cattle call...we were herded a bit! The venue was changed and the new one seemed very nice, but we really didn't have a chance to walk around and see it...the process of getting us all there and back plus the show used up all available time. As for the show...I thought it was quite cheesy and certainly not "A Step Back in Time." Went on far too long...the fire dancing at the end was quite nice, though. The best part was the fireworks at the end. Quite close and very nicely done. Food consisted of meringue cookies, chocolates, and tiny petit fours. Weren't bad but certainly not "local delicacies" I think Azamara did the best with what they had available in the port, but a couple of people I spoke to agreed that it wasn't really worth the hype. I also had my first (and I hope last) encounter with a less than pleasant Azamara staff person...I guess a number of people had complained to her at the venue (I know one gentleman asked if those who weren't happy could be taken back to the ship early...the answer was "no") but when I expressed my concerns I received quite a snippy and sarcastic response. Really not in keeping with the rest of the absolutely wonderful staff.

Apart from this and less than brilliant entertainment throughout the cruise (except, of course, for Max, who was his usual wonderful self)...we had a wonderful time. We had terrific enrichment lecturers (one, a marine biologist, was outstanding.)

I'll post my complete review as soon as I get a minute.