New Wine Policy - no more whining about wine

kazu

If you brought two bottles of wine on board,one is free and one you pay the corkage fee.Since the corkage fee is paid ,I assume you can take a glass of wine from that bottle to the dining room.How would they know that you have paid the fee for that wine and are not just bringing a glass from your cabin.

I don't think they'll nitpick like that. They likely knew when people did it before but they had enough class not to say anything.

If you brought two bottles of wine on board,one is free and one you pay the corkage fee.Since the corkage fee is paid ,I assume you can take a glass of wine from that bottle to the dining room.How would they know that you have paid the fee for that wine and are not just bringing a glass from your cabin.

Maybe they will start out by assuming they are dealing with adults.

Maybe they will start out by assuming they are dealing with adults.

Exactly! And perhaps it's not worth worrying about:rolleyes:. You get one "free" 750 ml bottle of wine - what's that, 2 and a bit glasses? Not enough to last for one glass a night for a 7-night cruise. I'm sure HAL knows you will buy more, or pour from the bottle that cost you $18 corkage.

Since I sent an email regarding my displeasure with the sudden restrictive wine policy (suggesting a corkage fee would be a viable alternative... go figure) and received their generic reply, I now feel it is only courteous to send another email acknowledging the revised policy. Unfortunately, I no longer have the appropriate address. Help, please? Thanks.

I used this form to express my appreciation...

http://www.hollandamerica.com/contactUs/Main.action

In my view, the house wine should be an included listing on the Bar Menu! :p

It is on both the bar menus and the dining room wine list. If I recall correctly, your house wine choices are Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Merlot, and Cabernet Sauvignon.

Exactly! And perhaps it's not worth worrying about:rolleyes:. You get one "free" 750 ml bottle of wine - what's that, 2 and a bit glasses? Not enough to last for one glass a night for a 7-night cruise. I'm sure HAL knows you will buy more, or pour from the bottle that cost you $18 corkage.

Are you using flower vases? We usually get around 6 good size glasses from a 75 cl bottle;)

So happy to read that HAL has revised it's position in regards to the wine policy. I can live with the corkage fee and will happily pay it in order to bring some of our fav. wines onboard especially when cruising in Europe. I do however feel that was the direction that HAL ultimately wanted in the end. :)

In my view, the house wine should be an included listing on the Bar Menu! :p

It is on both the bar menus and the dining room wine list. If I recall correctly, your house wine choices are Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Merlot, and Cabernet Sauvignon.

Well, I don't see it ('Santa Carolina') listed on the two links as posted by Retired Mustang on Post #133, do you? :confused:

[quote name='GeriatricNurse'][B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Well, I don't see it ('Santa Carolina') listed on the two links as posted by Retired Mustang on Post #133, do you? :confused:[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/QUOTE]

The wine lists don't say "Santa Carolina, " they say house wine. According to the lists, there is a house Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Merlot & Blanc Sauvignon.

I'm referring to the lists RetiredMustang posted a while back. He posted all of the lists from his cruise. There are 15 images total.

[quote name='POA1']The wine lists don't say "Santa Carolina, " they say house wine. According to the lists, there is a house Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Merlot & Blanc Sauvignon.

I'm referring to the lists RetiredMustang posted a while back. He posted all of the lists from his cruise. There are 15 images total.[/QUOTE]

That's how it was when we were on board. 'house wine' no mention of the vintage - you have to ask the servers;)

nice to see things haven't changed - our cruise feels like so long ago:D

Was just checking in and saw this wonderful thread. They listened to us. They really did!! This is such a win-win. We get to be happy and bring our wine on the cruise. No more worry for the staff no matter where we take our bottle. And HAL makes some good money in the bargain. I hope they also listened to us about the wine list as a little more variety would go a long way. But hey, no complaints today. :)

HAL, you did the right thing and we will be happy to book another cruise on you very soon!! :D

[quote name='fatcat04']Was just checking in and saw this wonderful thread. They listened to us. They really did!! This is such a win-win. We get to be happy and bring our wine on the cruise. No more worry for the staff no matter where we take our bottle. And HAL makes some good money in the bargain. I hope they also listened to us about the wine list as a little more variety would go a long way. But hey, no complaints today. :)

HAL, you did the right thing and we will be happy to book another cruise on you very soon!! :D[/QUOTE]

I still don't know how this is a win-win. We used to be able to bring unlimited wine and now we can't. I'm just glad that when I wrote to the president of HAL, we came to a mutually satisfactory agreement on bringing wine aboard.

[quote name='YubaSutter']I still don't know how this is a win-win. We used to be able to bring unlimited wine and now we can't. I'm just glad that when I wrote to the president of HAL, we came to a mutually satisfactory agreement on bringing wine aboard.[/quote]
I used to be 30 and thin. Now I'm not. Things change. It "seems" like people were taking advantage of the situation from what HAL reps have said.

[quote name='YubaSutter']I'm just glad that when I wrote to the president of HAL, we came to a mutually satisfactory agreement on bringing wine aboard.[/quote]
Care to fill us in? Edited by ohmark

[quote name='PunkiC']I still don't understand why we can't just check a case and pay the corkage.

Is there any logical explanation for this?[/quote]
I don't remember anyone saying you couldn't but it could be my poor memory. I think you have to have the ability to carry it on. Edited by cruz chic

[quote name='PunkiC']I still don't understand why we can't just check a case and pay the corkage.

Is there any logical explanation for this?[/QUOTE]

I have seen rolling wine cases online which hold 12 or 24 bottles. Would that be sufficient for your carry-on needs?

Is there any logical explanation for this?[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]My understanding is that you can bring as much as you like, as long as you pay the $18 corkage for every bottle over and above the "free" one. [/SIZE][/FONT]

Is there any logical explanation for this?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='cruz chic']I don't remember anyone saying you couldn't but it could be my poor memory. I think you have to have the ability to carry it on.[/QUOTE]

exactly cruz chic - you can carry it on according to the policy. PunkiC wants to check it like luggage which is now not permitted. I suspect it is so they can collect the corkage fee and possibly save some work for the stewards? At least, according to the policy checking it is not included.

Different solutions offered including the rolling cart - we've never 'checked' our wine so we have no issue with the carry on policy. Edited by kazu

We do have a Wine Check which has wheels and holds twelve bottle. It is a great solution for local cruises where we can drive to the port, but it is a hassle to check the wine check when we have to fly. This is especially true because the flight we take from Seattle to Long Beach does not have first class so we have to pay extra to ship the empty bag both ways. It is just so much easier to buy a case in San Pedro, wrap it up and check it at the dock.

At this point HAL is saying it is forbidden, but then many agents are also saying that you can only bring one bottle pp on board so who knows what is really true?

[quote name='PunkiC']We do have a Wine Check which has wheels and holds twelve bottle. It is a great solution for local cruises where we can drive to the port, but it is a hassle to check the wine check when we have to fly. This is especially true because the flight we take from Seattle to Long Beach does not have first class so we have to pay extra to ship the empty bag both ways. It is just so much easier to buy a case in San Pedro, wrap it up and check it at the dock.

At this point HAL is saying it is forbidden, but then many agents are also saying that you can only bring one bottle pp on board so [COLOR="Red"]who knows what is really true?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Have you taken a moment to READ the actual new HAL wine policy? Why would you doubt the revised rules? And as for checking the wine at the curb ... have you seen the cages that luggage, etc. is put in for loading on the ship? Personally, some of us do not want your wine on top or under our suitcases for reason I'm sure you can understand.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR] Edited by Linda&Vern

[quote name='Linda&Vern'][COLOR=blue][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Have you taken a moment to READ the actual new HAL wine policy? Why would you doubt the revised rules? And as for checking the wine at the curb ... have you seen the cages that luggage, etc. is put in for loading on the ship? Personally, some of us do not want your wine on top or under our suitcases for reason I'm sure you can understand.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/quote]
You will not be able to check wine at the curb. As Kazu mentioned, you can't do that because you have to pay corkage on most of it.

[quote name='PunkiC']We do have a Wine Check which has wheels and holds twelve bottle. It is a great solution for local cruises where we can drive to the port, but it is a hassle to check the wine check when we have to fly. This is especially true because the flight we take from Seattle to Long Beach does not have first class so we have to pay extra to ship the empty bag both ways. It is just so much easier to buy a case in San Pedro, wrap it up and check it at the dock.

At this point HAL is saying it is forbidden, but then many agents are also saying that you can only bring one bottle pp on board so who knows what is really true?[/QUOTE]

I wonder if the wine store where you might be making your purchase could rig up a temporary handle, with twine and such? That might make it easier to handle as a carry-on item.