New Wine Policy - no more whining about wine

kazu

I am quite sure you would have to pay corkage, if you bring it on AFTER you have officially embarked. I believe the rules are quite clear. HAL doesn't have the time or manpower that first day to record who has brought on wine initially. They only care AFTER, and will charge your onboard account. Can you really picture them recording your 1 free bottle of wine at embarkation? Too much bother. If embarkation didn't mean your first time on the ship, then you would be able to bring on wine at any port, where you "embark" the ship.

The way folks from other CCL lines explained it on this thread is that WILL record every bottle at embarkation day. That your free bottle will have a sticker of 1 color, your paid bottles a different sticker and that the type or maker of the wine would be recorded for each passenger...at a table just past security. And I understand we CAN bring wine on at any port...just pay the $18 and have it recorded and stickered.

I am quite sure you would have to pay corkage, if you bring it on AFTER you have officially embarked. I believe the rules are quite clear. HAL doesn't have the time or manpower that first day to record who has brought on wine initially. They only care AFTER, and will charge your onboard account. Can you really picture them recording your 1 free bottle of wine at embarkation? Too much bother. If embarkation didn't mean your first time on the ship, then you would be able to bring on wine at any port, where you "embark" the ship.

Well, you are no doubt right. I would prefer "embarkation port" for this rule!

Pretty silly to expect pax who fly into the embaraktion port to stop at a wine shop on the way to the ship.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Well, you are no doubt right. I would prefer "embarkation port" for this rule!

Pretty silly to expect pax who fly into the embaraktion port to stop at a wine shop on the way to the ship.

Before you respond so quickly, you might want to make sure you fully understand. The OP said he was going to get off the ship AFTER embarking, to buy a bottle of wine, and was hoping that would count as his "corkage free" bottle. According to a person with experience, our one free bottle will be labeled differently.

IMHO, I think it's pretty silly to not have my one "corkage free" bottle of wine at embarkation and have to take a cab to the wine shop. Most people arrive a day ahead and buy their wine before getting on the ship.

Whatever!! Now, we can't argue HAL's policy, but people can argue the terminology! Different strokes!

Before you respond so quickly, you might want to make sure you fully understand. The OP said he was going to get off the ship AFTER embarking, to buy a bottle of wine, and was hoping that would count as his "corkage free" bottle. According to a person with experience, our one free bottle will be labeled differently.

IMHO, I think it's pretty silly to not have my one "corkage free" bottle of wine at embarkation and have to take a cab to the wine shop. Most people arrive a day ahead and buy their wine before getting on the ship.

Whatever!! Now, we can't argue HAL's policy, but people can argue the terminology! Different strokes!

I was asking my own question about how the new policy works at embarkation. Not everyone arrives the day before the cruise and that is what I was referencing without actually saying so.

Perhaps you should go back and read my post, then you might understand what I was asking about.

Thanks a lot for your reply, though.

So, if I embark with no wine, have lunch on the ship, walk off to a wine shop, buy one bottle of wine, am I going to be able to bring it on without paying the corkage?

On initial embarkation day, I don't think they let you off after you check in, but before you sail away. I'm speaking solely of US ports.

Here is a question we posed a few months ago with little comment. Let us say you are on a long adventurous HAL cruise to Europe and you decide to book a HAL Excursion that includes visits to a couple of wineries. In the past, the tour guides would urge (as would the wineries) that the tour participants purchase wines at the wineries that are visited. This used to be great on HAL because you would then bring these wines back to the ship and perhaps share them with shipmates (and pay the corkage fee if you took them into the dining room). But alas, now you would not only have to pay the overpriced tour fee, but you would be charged an additional $18 per bottle for anything you got on the tour, even if you planned on taking the wine home after the cruise? Not real nice of HAL.

Hank

Here is a question we posed a few months ago with little comment. Let us say you are on a long adventurous HAL cruise to Europe and you decide to book a HAL Excursion that includes visits to a couple of wineries. In the past, the tour guides would urge (as would the wineries) that the tour participants purchase wines at the wineries that are visited. This used to be great on HAL because you would then bring these wines back to the ship and perhaps share them with shipmates (and pay the corkage fee if you took them into the dining room). But alas, now you would not only have to pay the overpriced tour fee, but you would be charged an additional $18 per bottle for anything you got on the tour, even if you planned on taking the wine home after the cruise? Not real nice of HAL.

Hank

Wouldn't your beloved celebrity do that as well?

.... but you would be charged an additional $18 per bottle for anything you got on the tour, even if you planned on taking the wine home after the cruise?

Hank

The way the policy reads, they'll store any wine you're not going to drink on board at no charge. . You only pay corkage for wine you are planning to consume on the ship.

You'd have to plan which of your winery purchases you want to drink and check the rest. That doesn't seem too bad to me.

In-Room Dining offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages

Can you please explain this package you referred to? Is this something new?

Thanks kazu for the information, I am so happy we will be able to bring on some wines of our choice. A favorite tradition is shopping at Total Wine, now we can once again look forward to that. :)

Can you please explain this package you referred to? Is this something new?

Thanks kazu for the information, I am so happy we will be able to bring on some wines of our choice. A favorite tradition is shopping at Total Wine, now we can once again look forward to that. :)

That is a quote from the HAL website - but no question - if you order a bottle of liquor from them for the cabin - it is much cheaper than drinks.

There is no difference in the wine pricing that I have seen.

I love to going to my favourite candy store when I am in FLL too (Total Wine). They have so many choices there that we don't have here. It truly is an adventure;)

Oh yes you can - as long as you are back in time for muster drill.:)

absolutely correct :D Mostly I wanted to say - thank you for putting HALfacts in your signature. It is much appreciated:D

I would be unhappy. I would also be unhappy when the Marriott didn't include all my meals and entertainment. I would also be mad when my hotel room didn't whisk me from place to place. The hotel just sits in one spot. What's up with that?

On the other hand, the ship doesn't have valet parking. No matter how many times we are in port, no one brings our car around. On the plus side, the Marriott's Internet speed is much, much faster. :confused:

I'll drink to that :eek:

I do not agree this is a fair deal. In the past as long you consume it in your cabin (and I agree to that) it was ok. Now a corckage fee of $18 per bottle is scandalous. Ev en if you take a cheaper bottle around $5 + $18 = $23. This is theft from HAL.

I made already several HAL cruises and in march I believe it will be my last one due to this unrespectfull attitude of ou privacy in the cabin.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I do not agree this is a fair deal. In the past as long you consume it in your cabin (and I agree to that) it was ok. Now a corckage fee of $18 per bottle is scandalous. Ev en if you take a cheaper bottle around $5 + $18 = $23. This is theft from HAL.

I made already several HAL cruises and in march I believe it will be my last one due to this unrespectfull attitude of ou privacy in the cabin.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I don't think you will find much support here. Most of us are pleased that they backed away from the no wine past the 2 bottles could be carried on at all. This allows them to make a little on the wines we choose ourselves. Its a reasonable compromise.

I hope all of us take to social media again to thank HAL for amending the policy.

People weren't just drinking it in their cabin.

That's why the policy has been changed

Two people that had originally been at our fixed seating table but then left for most of the cruise returned to join us one night. They brought full wine glasses with them, and mentioned that they had brought it from their cabin. Unfortunately, the lady tripped, and spilt the wine all over the table. I just missed being splattered. I felt badly for the steward who had to clean up the mess, especially since the corkage fee hadn't been paid.

Two people that had originally been at our fixed seating table but then left for most of the cruise returned to join us one night. They brought full wine glasses with them' date=' and mentioned that they had brought it from their cabin. Unfortunately, the lady tripped, and spilt the wine all over the table. I just missed being splattered. I felt badly for the steward who had to clean up the mess, especially since the corkage fee hadn't been paid.[/quote']

I recall reading that never happens by someone here. I unfortunately don't recall who specifically. I recall the posted said the people who are bringing full glasses of wine just purchased them at the bar and carried them in. I wonder if they were in error? Glad to read that you were not spattered on.

Two people that had originally been at our fixed seating table but then left for most of the cruise returned to join us one night. They brought full wine glasses with them' date=' and mentioned that they had brought it from their cabin. Unfortunately, the lady tripped, and spilt the wine all over the table. I just missed being splattered. I felt badly for the steward who had to clean up the mess, especially since the corkage fee hadn't been paid.[/quote']

On our Baltic cruise, a woman left the dining room to go to her cabin to bring back a bottle of wine. It was open....so I assume it was one she uncorked herself, not leftover from the night before. She kept telling us her husband was an alcoholic, while she proceeded to get totally smashed by herself. Needless to say, we left before dessert! Usually you don't see that on Prinsendam cruises.

Prior to the new rules being implemented, we either drank our own wine in our cabin, on our deck, or brought full bottles to the MDR and paid the corkage fee.

Now that we will have paid the corkage fee upon embarkation, there is no reason why we can't drink it anywhere on the ship that our hearts desire. I like that.