Port or Starboard on Freedom of the Seas?

BettyBrum

Hi!

We are looking to book a cruise on Freedom of the Seas around the Eastern Caribbean (CocoCay, Charlotte Amalie and St Maarten). Does anyone know whether we are better with a port side or starboard side cabin?

We like to see the action in ports, but also like the sun on our balcony!!

Any advice, gratefully received!

Betty!

Hi!

We are looking to book a cruise on Freedom of the Seas around the Eastern Caribbean (CocoCay, Charlotte Amalie and St Maarten). Does anyone know whether we are better with a port side or starboard side cabin?

We like to see the action in ports, but also like the sun on our balcony!!

Any advice, gratefully received!

Betty!

You won't know til you dock. Ships dock on different sides for different reasons, sometimes just the Captain's preference, sometimes dependent on work that might need to be done in port, or safety drills using lifeboats. We book the cabin we want and just go with the flow.

Thanks for the replies! Interesting responses! We have cruised before and always just booked the cabin we want and been happy with our choices! On our last cruise though, I heard a lot of people saying they'd "researched" docking, sunsets etc and chosen accordingly, so I thought I'd see what everyone thought. Clearly those people were in the minority!!!

Using the Port Canaveral Web Live Cam today (Sunday) it looks like the Freedom is docked using the Port side. I like watching all the hubba bubba on sail day from our balcony when we cruise. We have not been on the Freedom OTS, but have been on the Liberty which sails from Port Everglades which seems to dock using their Starboard Side.

CoCo Cay is a Tender stop.

When we docked at the International Pier at Cozumel two weeks ago the ship was docked out a long pier; neither side of the pier directly faces shore. The port tourist mall is fun. You can buy a beer for a dollar in one of the stores there and go have a seat on a bench somewhere. There is also a very lively bar if you like action.

We have not been to the other port mentioned.

We've done Freedom eastern itinerary 3 years in a row over New Years. in 2011 we had starboard side, docked starboard side both ports. In 2012 we had port side, docked port side both ports. In 2013 we had port side, docked starboard side port side both ports. So you really can't tell.

In St. Thomas last cruise, the starboard view was of NCL Epic in the aft part of the ship, and the bay across to Charlotte-Amalie. Mostly of the city, so it would have been the prettier view. We had the pier and the Marriott, which was also a beautiful view. But the ship was at the end of the pier which was different from years past. In St. Maarten, last cruise, we looked at the pier and MSC Musica across the pier. When MSC Musica left we looked at the bay and city. Definitely the better view, but the starboard side had 3 ships at the next pier to look at. So really, dependent on which pier, where on the pier you dock, and whose in port, it doesn't make too much difference.

Edited by papaflamingo

We are on FOS eastern in April and I booked starboard this time. Last year we did FOS western and we were on the port side. I was disappointed because i really wanted to be on the pier side, especially in cozumel to watch the "runners" at the end of the day. As it turned out at every port we were on the non pier side.

We always prefer the Port side near the front of the midsection.

Our Port side preference has nothing to with dockside.

Depending on the direction you crise to various destinations...the side of the ship facing the destination is our first choice, rather than out toward the sea/ocean. One the ship arrives...it could back in or go in straight....depending on docks available and/or Captain's choice.

Using the Port Canaveral Web Live Cam today (Sunday) it looks like the Freedom is docked using the Port side. I like watching all the hubba bubba on sail day from our balcony when we cruise. We have not been on the Freedom OTS, but have been on the Liberty which sails from Port Everglades which seems to dock using their Starboard Side.

CoCo Cay is a Tender stop.

When we docked at the International Pier at Cozumel two weeks ago the ship was docked out a long pier; neither side of the pier directly faces shore. The port tourist mall is fun. You can buy a beer for a dollar in one of the stores there and go have a seat on a bench somewhere. There is also a very lively bar if you like action.

We have not been to the other port mentioned.

Freedom is docked with starboard side at the pier as it usually does.

Been on the Freedom "a few times" ;)

And also happen to live five miles from the port. One of our favorite things to do, when

we are not lucky enough to be on the ship on that cruise sailing, is to go down to watch

the ships sail out. Everyone cheers and waves as the big ships come into view.

When we are on the ship ourselves, it is fun to wave back to them. A glass of

bubbly in hand, standing on our balcony, as we slide out to sea is always our

tradition. This all happens on the starboard side.

Also, at this time of the year, the sunset comes into view as you turn south out of the

port. This is also on the starboard side.

And yes, the Freedom always docks at Port Canaveral on the starboard side.

Edited by island lady

The sun part is the easier to figure out. You'll have the sun setting on your balcony on your way to the islands, or on the way back.

I like to save the sun going down on my side of the ship for on the way back.

Romantic ending to a great cruise.