Shut Out on the Free Cruise? How do you feel?

Rosethorn40

I'm disappointed and would rather not know about the offers (I think) than to keep hearing of others that get a free cruise while we pay. Then the non-selfish part of me cheers at their good fortune and reminds the selfish part of me that we live in Florida and can take advantage of offers some can't. The jury is still out!

Honest answer? A little slighted. But I know that's not fair. I am happy for those who did get it though. We save up all year long as we live on one income while I'm a SAHM to 2 small kids so it would have really really been helpful to us but that doesn't mean we still won't continue saving up for this springs trip. Ah well, you won some, you lose some.

I feel for those of you who have to travel a long distance, plan far in advance and pay $$$ for airfare!

Like many others, I wonder how Carnival decides who gets the offer and who doesn't. And I wonder how many free cruises were put out there.

It would be a huge treat for us and we'd be so excited, but that's how it goes!

I am sure everyone would love a free vacation but shouldn't feel like we are entitled to it and get mad when we don't get an offer. Really people !!!

Im gonna boycott Disney because they didn't offer me a free hopper pass for a week and free room and dining plan. ;)

Only one person, in long rant form and in every thread discussing this, indicated they felt entitled to it and were "mad." So it's not "really people" at all. The vast majority of those that didn't get the offer are happy for those that did and some degree of bummed that they didn't. To which is understandable. That's it. Nobody said anything about boycotting Disney or whatever you're talking about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I am sure everyone would love a free vacation but shouldn't feel like we are entitled to it and get mad when we don't get an offer. Really people !!!

Im gonna boycott Disney because they didn't offer me a free hopper pass for a week and free room and dining plan. ;)

Agree!!

Seriously, don't we teach our children that behavior like this is unacceptable? Good grief, even our teachers preach it in the schoolyard and in the classrooms...

If I spend $200 on raffle tickets and don't win... Do I cry foul? If I did, you'd all be laughing at my foolishness.

Edited by kneedeep1964

I comprehended what you said just fine. Bummed isn't a matter of sounding better to me, it's he jargon most posters used. And I am paying for my cruise. However yes I am bummed that I didn't get the free offer. Again, simple as that.

If you understood why the ...

whatever you're talking about.

Usually that means lack of understanding

So, out of curiosity, what's the tax liability on a free cruise? You never get something for nothing... and I'm sure there is a 'retail value' that Carnival will report to the IRS come tax time.

Every FREE cabin came with a payment for taxes and fees. My 8-day Spa interior on the Splendor for two people was $288 for taxes and fees. All I have to pay now are gratuities and a $40 R/T hour bus into the city.

Would I owe an additional tax??

OP I love your name.."every rose has it's thorn" and well..these things hurt the non winners..even when prices are so good...there seems to be no rhyme or reason..has anyone won who was honestly openly and probably rightfully steamed about anything here?? LOL..I try to be positive but have had my moments..LOL..Sarah

Edited by sjn911

I have to say that I had never received a free cruise or OBC etc until now. I have cruised several times with Carnival. I never held any anger with people who got the free cruise. I did however receive my letter last week and now I can say I am going on a free cruise..... :) Thank you Carnival!!!!!

Every FREE cabin came with a payment for taxes and fees. My 8-day Spa interior on the Splendor for two people was $288 for taxes and fees. All I have to pay now are gratuities and a $40 R/T hour bus into the city.

Would I owe an additional tax??

Because you won something that has a retail value. The taxes you are paying on the price of the cruise are different than the ones you will pay come tax time. Carnival has to report it somewhere so they can take the deduction for the 'gift'...

http://contests.about.com/od/vacationsweepstakes/f/Which-Taxes-Do-You-Pay-On-Vacation-Prizes.htm

I suggest winners contact a tax professional before they book and see how it will effect their bottom line.

Edited by kneedeep1964

I am happy for all the 'winners' but yes, have to admit that I'm a little bummed that I never get anything....with that said, I have a cruise scheduled to leave in 6 days (Woo Hoo) and another in late May with Royal, so I wouldn't be able to use a free one this year anyway....however :p I wouldn't mind the upgrade fairy to visit me or OBC to appear in my cabin! HAHAHA I did/do have a small beef with Carnival for my upcoming trip...I was willing to pay for a guaranteed balcony upgrade from a oceanview, but they wouldn't allow me. I had to pay the regular balcony price ($150more, so a total of $450 instead of the $300 of a guaranteed) I couldn't understand the thought process there especially when they are giving free upgrades and free cruises...but that's my problem.....I will still enjoy my cruise and maybe someday I'll have a freebie of some sort!

I, too have been feeling like the "ugly stepchild" with this free cruise giveaway. I have cruised with Carnival for over 30 years, and booked nearly 25 cruises. Over the past year, my mother, my aunt, and now my 21 year old son have been offered free cruises. These are people that went on the cruises that I booked! Sure, I get the Platinum perks, but now those are something anyone with and extra 50 bucks wants to purchase! Out next cruise is March 17 on the Victory. I'm sure we'll have a great time. Sadly, Carnival wasted their free cruise offer on my son---he has no interest in going. Something wrong with this picture, huh?

So, out of curiosity, what's the tax liability on a free cruise? You never get something for nothing... and I'm sure there is a 'retail value' that Carnival will report to the IRS come tax time.

Remember all those "free" cars Oprah gave away? Immediately the recipients started complaining that they had to pay taxes and fees (just like a free cruise). I mentioned this in a previous thread here and it went over most people's heads. Nothing is free folks and anyone who is bent out of shape because they didn't get the offer - well count your blessings that you didn't bite the hook. My offer is on the way to the dump. :rolleyes:

Would take more than the cost of the cruise to dump us into the next tax bracket.

Remember all those "free" cars Oprah gave away? Immediately the recipients started complaining that they had to pay taxes and fees (just like a free cruise). I mentioned this in a previous thread here and it went over most people's heads. Nothing is free folks and anyone who is bent out of shape because they didn't get the offer - well count your blessings that you didn't bite the hook. My offer is on the way to the dump. :rolleyes:

I'm no tax expert, but the taxes have to be paid on these cruises. What other problems would there be? Is there an extra gift tax? Honestly asking since I've never gotten anything like this. Lol.

I suppose the better descriptor could be "free cruise fares" since the port charges and taxes have to be paid. Plus tips. So no it's not 100% free. Still a good deal if you can make it work for you.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I'm no tax expert, but the taxes have to be paid on these cruises. What other problems would there be? Is there an extra gift tax? Honestly asking since I've never gotten anything like this. Lol.

I suppose the better descriptor could be "free cruise fares" since the port charges and taxes have to be paid. Plus tips. So no it's not 100% free. Still a good deal if you can make it work for you.

Might be a good deal for someone who doesn't have to fly or any additional upfront costs. Paying those tips is a butt clencher for me, paying the taxes and fees too - so the cruise isn't for free. Don't know why people are so upset that they didn't get something that they have to shell money out for.

And I am sure a lot of people are not thinking about the tax implications.

That's what's so hilarious to me - the IRS aren't such nice people ya know. Next December there will be a thread here about someone complaining about getting a 1099 from Carnival and their freebie has been reported to the IRS. I can read the threads now: "Good for you, you deserve to get taxed on something I didn't get!" LOL!