Celebrity or Princess

NOSaints1

. I'm not sure what I'll end up doing, but after my initial panic, I'm starting to settle down a bit and think that I will likely have as good a time on Princess as I do on Celebrity.

YES!!!! We started with Royal years ago, moved to Celebrity most exclusively, then added a HAL, Oceania and Seabourn and two river cruises and most recently added three different Princess cruises. You have to try new lines/ships to add itinerary variety and ship experiences. we have NEVER had a BAD cruise! We go into every vacation with positive expectations.

Edited by eandj

Both lines are more alike than different, so the itinerary could be the deciding factor. If you want to do Alaska, take Princess (they go to Glacier Bay more often than anyone else except their geriatric stable-mate HAL). If you want to do a partial Panama Canal, take Princess (Celebrity docks at Colon so you never get the experience of going through the Atlantic locks). If you want to do a 14-day Caribbean cruise, take Celebrity (any 14-day cruises you see on Princess' website are b2b's with a lot of time wasted going back to Florida). If you want to go to Galapagos, take Celebrity (Princess doesn't go there).

I also don't put much store in opinions from anyone that has only sailed a particular cruise line once. It's not that their experience isn't valid, it's just that the experience could be an isolated incident or that they had issues adjusting to a different cruise line.

I know that statements of "I will never sail **** line again" are a dime a dozen on Cruise Critic. But the underlying question of this thread is "where should I spend my vacation dollars?" and if a response contains a valid reason as to "not on ****" the admission that their opinion is based on a single experience does not make it less useful.

There is a hoary old expression I believe in: You never get a second chance to make a first impression. Celebrity blew theirs with me--and if sharing that opinion on here makes me biased, so be it.

...and don't forget that year in and year out, Princess consistently tops the polls for "best cruise line for first-timers"

Edited by fishywood

I am an Elite member on Celebrity and a Platinum member on Princess. If they were the same price for a cruise on the same date, I would choose Celebrity. Unless it was to Alaska. I like that Princess heats all their outdoor pools and has a really nice indoor pool. I have also found that the Princess cruises we have been on have ran very smoothly. No hick ups. It was always something with Celebrity. Missed ports, broken pods on the ships, pool netted when it was supposed to be open. Cabin steward taking the pads off the lounge chairs from our balcony two days before the end of the cruise. To clean for the next group. A lot of frustration when you are supposed to be relaxing. Princess food is good, but not as good as Celebrity. Entertainment better on Celebrity. We have taken our last six cruises with Princess and had very satisfying cruises. Happy faces too.

Edited by LovetheSea

Celebrity for us. We find the cabins larger, don't have to book a suite to get a sofa in the room. To us the food is better and the buffet wins hands down. We have dined in the regular MDR and in Blu when we sailed Aqua class and found the food in both places excellent. The S class ships have a solarium which I love. I like having an enclosed pool as an option as I love to swim and can do so in any weather.

Having said that, we have enjoyed our Princess cruises and are trying the Royal Princess next month. I understand the buffet is much improved so looking forward to that. Still wish there was a sofa in our cabin but not a deal breaker. My hubby is not happy that it is an extra charge for the steam room on the Royal, he loves the S class gyms on Celebrity and the fact that the steam room is no extra charge. We also find the staff much more enthusiastic and willing to help on Celebrity. We feel much more pampered with them.

As it's been said everything is subjective and we are happy we don't have to choose! Enjoy your holiday whatever line you decide on.

I agree with this poster for all the same reasons. The only reason we sail Princess instead of Celebrity is because of MUTS. My DH has a preference and thus we sail Princess.

I know that statements of "I will never sail **** line again" are a dime a dozen on Cruise Critic. But the underlying question of this thread is "where should I spend my vacation dollars?" and if a response contains a valid reason as to "not on ****" the admission that their opinion is based on a single experience does not make it less useful.

There is a hoary old expression I believe in: You never get a second chance to make a first impression. Celebrity blew theirs with me--and if sharing that opinion on here makes me biased, so be it.

...and don't forget that year in and year out, Princess consistently tops the polls for "best cruise line for first-timers"

I can't agree with your logic. If someone makes a big jump from let's say a luxury line to a line like Carnival, I would totally accept their statement that there was no comparison between lines and that the luxury line was way better. The difference in the ship, amenities, etc. would back up such a statement.

However, when someone cruises a particular line all the time and then gets one cruise on a similar line under his belt, I am inclined to disregard it. The experience may very well be valid to the person who lived it, and I'm not saying that their perception is wrong. I'm saying that the "problem" can be isolated - you can't assume everything is bad across the line because of one cruise or one incident. EVERY cruise line has things happen sometimes that make passengers unhappy. No line is immune. I read reviews on here all the time, and I always figure that some of the big complainers don't realize how transparent they are. You really get an overwhelming sense that they are loyal to a particular brand and are determined to find fault with a different brand.

Interestingly, I did read your Celebrity review and it resembled nothing like I've ever experienced there... amazing that so much could be wrong, yet the company is still flourishing!!! Celebrity may have blown their chance with you, but it would be naive to think that there aren't people on other boards saying the same thing about Princess. I really hope that I go into my Princess cruise with an open mind, and just enjoy it rather than looking for fault.

And as for Princess being first choice of first-time cruisers... this post was looking for opinions of experienced cruisers. First-timers have nothing to compare it with!

Edited by jaspersmommy

I have sailed a number of times on both Princess and Celebrity. I think the lines are very similar. It's hard to compare lines, because sometimes the experience within one cruise line differs from ship to ship.

Princess is our favorite, but our last few trips have been booked on Celebrity because the price on an almost identical trip was lower on Celebrity. We just booked a 12 night trip in Australia on Celebrity because it was $350 per person less than Princess, and they were offering a free classic beverage package, a $44 per person per day value. We also feel Celebrity handles Anytime Dining better, as we don't generally see the long waits we have experienced on Princess.

The main reasons we like Princess better are because their loyalty level benefits are better, they have self service passenger laundromats, and when you book shore excursions online before the cruise, you don't have to pay for them at the time of booking, the cost is added to your onboard account. Therefore, if you have some onboard credit on Princess, you can use it towards the cost of the shore excursions. With Celebrity, you must pay for shore excursions you book online prior to your cruise at the time of booking, so on board credit can't be used for them.

All in all, the experience on both lines is similar, with some differences. I find food, service, and entertainment to be good on both lines. We generally choose between Celebrity and Princess based on price and itinerary.

Celebrity if you are going to book Aqua Class--but, if not, then Princess.

We think main dining room food is better on Princess; Lido deck Celebrity.

Entertainment--I like Princess better--my husband likes Celebrity better--but I think that Cirque du Soleil stuff is BORING, so their fabulous last show is a snoozer for me.

The pool area is nicer on Celebrity but not a deal breaker for us as my husband really likes the MUTS.

The main reasons we like Princess better are because their loyalty level benefits are better, they have self service passenger laundromats, and when you book shore excursions online before the cruise, you don't have to pay for them at the time of booking, the cost is added to your onboard account. Therefore, if you have some onboard credit on Princess, you can use it towards the cost of the shore excursions. With Celebrity, you must pay for shore excursions you book online prior to your cruise at the time of booking, so on board credit can't be used for them.

Celebrity is a real pain in the a** about discounts and OBC. You usually can't combine ANY discounts, whereas Princess lets you combine them most of the time. Celebrity charges for shore excursions in advance, so you can't use OBC to pay for them (unless you are willing to risk a sell-out and wait to book on board). Celebrity charges anytime dining gratuities in advance, so you can't use OBC for them either. This stuff adds up, and should be factored in when people are comparing relative pricing.

Food is very subjective and from what I've read, for the best cruise experience on Celebrity, you should book an Aqua class cabin. When comparing prices, Celebrity doesn't discount but TAs can offer you OBC (which is not combinable with other OBC) whereas a Princess TA can quote you a discount of 10-20% and give you OBC (which is combinable with any other OBC) and perks.

In my experience, and not having booked Aqua Class, the food, service and cabin on Celebrity was substandard to Princess. I found it very expensive compared to Princess even for a balcony cabin.

A good TA can give you OBC, prepaid gratuities and a free dinner for 2 on X. Depends on what level cabin you book this can be combined with a X future cruise booking credit plus a past cruisers one level upgrade.

They will also reduce your fare if the cruise price drops but if it drops too much it may cut into the give away's.

I have done it on many cruises for not just X but other lines as well.

You need to find a better TA.

As for "the food, service and cabin on Celebrity was substandard to Princess."

That is your personal experience / opinion but is not shared by the majority of CC members who bother to write and post reviews of their cruises.

Standard X balcony cabins have couches in them and on S class ships they have shower doors as well. You can get a couch in a Mini suite on Princess but not a shower door.What class of cabin are you comparing?

X ships are consistently rated higher then Princess in all categories by the Cruisers Choice Awards.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?src=nav

That is not my personal opinion but of our peers on these boards.

The line you cruise is your personal choice, each has it benefits and perks none offers much more then the other.

Edited by baldercash

Drinks and packages (and fares) seem to be a lot higher on Celebrity... That is one of the reasons I haven't tried Celebrity yet... That and the platinum benefits and the military OBC we get from Princess.

That said, I sailed with Carnival twice, the least cruise was on the Splendor.. And I said never again... I did get a "free" cruise offer from Carnival and we are not taking it... Saving towards our next Princess cruise!

I have been on 13 Princess cruises and 3 Celebrity. I still prefer Celebrity. Pricing is way cheaper on Celebrity for Caribbean cruise for a 10 day. I compared Emerald Princess regular verandah cabin with Celebrity Verandah, and it is $700 cheaper per couple plus FREE Drink package, alcohol, coffees, smoothies, specialty waters, everything. This is two years in a row that Celebrity beats Princess with pricing, for Europe and Caribbean. However,pricing for Alaska is more reasonable on Princess

I am so willing to sacrifice my Platinum benefits if it means going on a solstice class ship again. Wonderful ships, and I haven't missed Princess at all the last almost three years

Edited by 4cats4me

What are these polls you mention as I cannot find them?

Found this though.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=129

Agree with the "both" comments. We do now cruise an awful lot (well over 70 days a year) and choose our cruises based on itinerary and price. Most of the time we will end up on Celebrity, Princess or HAL. Sometimes we reach out to other lines like Azamara or Oceania since we want their itineraries. RCI used to be one of our favorite lines but has fallen out of favor because of its lousy itineraries and emphasis and "huge" over quality. As to Carnival, we have actually enjoyed our 3 cruises on this line, but do not see them in our future because of sub-standard itineraries.

Hank

P.S. One also should consider that there are major differences between various ships of any line. For example, on Celebrity we love the S-Class ships....but are not big fans of some of their older vessels.

Edited by Hlitner

Which is what I always mention when comparing these lines. The M class ships are more comparable to some of Princess' older smaller ships. Once you cruise the newer S class ships on Celebrity, there is nothing to compare with Princess. So if relying on one X cruise on an M class ship as to what all X cruises are like, the cruiser who disliked the line should really give it another chance on a newer s class ship. It's like sailing the Coral and saying it would be the same experience as the Royal. It's fun to see and experience a variety of ships and lines. I REALLY don't get shutting the door on an entire line of ships after ONE experience. :o Sure does limit one's travel experiences.

Edited by eandj

Princess or Celebrity? Sail either one.:D

Why in the world should anyone have to defend their choice of cruise or cruiseline? The " my cruiseline is better than your cruiseline" mentality is accomplishing nothing.

All cruiselines attract customers with their features and itineraries. What pleases one cruiser may not please another. There is a ship out there for everyone's taste and a cruiseline that will do their best to make you happy.

There is no perfect ship or cruise however and when a cruiser accepts that, they will be closer to enjoying their choice of cruiselines.

For me, Princess is #1, and Celebrity is #2. I find that Princess feels more like home, and I am completely comfortable being on any of their ships (can't comment on the Royal yet). After doing b2b last year on the Ruby & the Silhouette, the biggest difference to me was the entertainment. The Princess ship had much more of a pulse in the evening, while the Celebrity ship felt like it had no soul. Take the entertainment out of the equation, and I am very happy on either line.

I really dislike these posts comparing one cruise line to another!! You will find the cheerleaders for "their" line and the one's who will diss the "other" line. On the Celebrity page...well it's sad to read some of the post from people who haven't sailed Princess in a long time and on the Princess page this line can do no wrong. Everyone knows what they like and what makes them feel comfortable. There really is no wrong or right....just enjoy what your you are fortunate to be able to do. Sorry for the rant, but reading this thread and the same one on the Celebrity board makes me a little crazy! Perhaps a glass of wine will help..:)

If you book on Princess and your a member of Carnival can you get a price for a past guest?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, no. If I could use my sea days from all the lines owned by Carnival Corporation I would be super platinum. We are fairly loyal to Princess--but will switch for itinerary and price.

For me, Princess is #1, and Celebrity is #2. I find that Princess feels more like home, and I am completely comfortable being on any of their ships (can't comment on the Royal yet). After doing b2b last year on the Ruby & the Silhouette, the biggest difference to me was the entertainment. The Princess ship had much more of a pulse in the evening, while the Celebrity ship felt like it had no soul. Take the entertainment out of the equation, and I am very happy on either line.

Tell me when you cruised the Silhouette did you miss the promenade deck and aft (terrace) pool that you had on the Ruby? Can you tell me the biggest difference you noticed in food quality, variety, and menu?

I sailed the Ruby in the Med during the summer of '10 and felt completely relaxed and comfortable:)

IMG_1153.jpg

The only reason we are giving our opinion is because that is the question in this thread.

I forgot to mention itineraries. That is why we move from one line to another. We like different itineraries. Celebrity goes to San Juan and Nassau a lot. We like both places, but have been there too many times.

I really dislike these posts comparing one cruise line to another!! You will find the cheerleaders for "their" line and the one's who will diss the "other" line. On the Celebrity page...well it's sad to read some of the post from people who haven't sailed Princess in a long time and on the Princess page this line can do no wrong. Everyone knows what they like and what makes them feel comfortable. There really is no wrong or right....just enjoy what your you are fortunate to be able to do. Sorry for the rant, but reading this thread and the same one on the Celebrity board makes me a little crazy! Perhaps a glass of wine will help..:)

I agree. Whenever I see this question asked on the celebrity board I don't even open it anymore...they make my blood boil.