Another formal night question

RCCL does not have a mandatory dress code. Rather it's only "suggested guidelines".

For what it's worth no longer bring formal attire and I always eat in the MDR never feeling out of place.

Enjoy your cruise !

We've been Schlepping our formal attires on our previous cruises, but decided that on the next one, we'll do without. It takes so much needed suitcase space and we feel quite ridiculous with them.

So we'll just wear nice clothes (I'm still not sure weather it will be a dress or a nice pants suit for me) and that's that.

We just returned from our first RCCL cruise and what I noticed is that most people dressed fairly nice on every night in the dining room, like you would for going out to a nice restaurant at home. On the formal nights, there were probably more shorter street length cocktail dresses than longer formal gowns, although you saw some of those, as well. I'm sure you wouldn't be refused service, but you probably will feel less "out of place" if you just dress a bit for dinner every night.

Don't wear shorts and you'll be fine getting into the dining room.

On the cruises I've been on, very few have worn tuxes or gowns.

On NCL, I was the only person on the entire cruise less the CD and maitre'd in an actual tuxedo on formal night (there were at least a good number of guys in suits, so I wasn't completely out of place). An older gentleman pulled me aside the next morning and commended me for bringing more class to cruising than people twice my age on the ship. I told him I just want to look my best, and I don't mind other people's fashion choices (it's their vacation).

I know on RCI formal night is a little more popular to participate in, but from what I've been hearing (and even when I was last with them in '06) it's more suits and cocktail dresses than tuxes and gowns. A to-the-nines tux or gown would probably stick out just as much as a polo and jeans or sundress. That being said, I own two tuxedos and plan on dressing up for both formal nights, regardless of what everyone else on board does (although my better half will probably just stick to a nicer cocktail dress over a gown).

Funny thing about today's culture. In the older days, not very long ago, dress codes were always "suggested" and it implied to follow the sugguestion. Today, it seems to mean, you should ignore it. It's the same word. It really means that the cruise line is saying nicely, without sounding harsh, that they "suggest" you dress like a big boy and girl, and look decent for the night.

It's funny how so many want to use the word as an excuse not to dress nice. :D

Funny thing about today's culture. In the older days, not very long ago, dress codes were always "suggested" and it implied to follow the sugguestion. Today, it seems to mean, you should ignore it. It's the same word. It really means that the cruise line is saying nicely, without sounding harsh, that they "suggest" you dress like a big boy and girl, and look decent for the night.

It's turned into just another dress code thread to discuss the meaning of suggested. Suggested means just the same today as it did in the "older" days, I'm sure there were differing opinions as to it's meaning then as there are today.

To the OP, wear what you will feel comfortable in. Regardless of what you choose you will fit in, the dress in the MDR is very varied every night.

I'm not looking for opinions on if you should or not. Just trying to find out if it's mandatory or not.

OP asked a question and it was answered pretty quickly.

The opinions are starting to pile up again. Let's not have this be another one of "those" threads thats gets locked because someone gets their feelings hurt.

Its also funny how so many here think anything less than a suit and dress on Formal night is not "dressed nice".

The whole wear a tux on Formal night thing was fun the first few times but even after "only" 4 cruises, its becoming tiring and a hassle. I will still be presentable and "dressed nice" at the dinner table in the MDR though. :D

OP asked a question and it was answered pretty quickly.

The opinions are starting to pile up again. Let's not have this be another one of "those" threads thats gets locked because someone gets their feelings hurt.

Agreed! :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Its also funny how so many here think anything less than a suit and dress on Formal night is not "dressed nice".

Only one quick comment then I'll shut up. No one said less than a suit and dress is not dressed nice. What it is though is not dressed "Formal." It's "Formal Night." Not "dress nice" night. I've seen men in Polo Shirts and Bermuda Shorts that look terrific. It isn't "Formal," and would likely be turned away from the MDR, yet I've seen guys in t-shirts and jeans in the MDR on Formal Night. So there is a difference between "Formal" and "dressed nice."

Having said that, I do have a serious question. My DW and I disagree on the number of people who actually wear "Suggested Attire" on Formal Night. I think it's fewer and fewer. Maybe 50% or less. And it seems that more and more want it to just fade away. What are other observations. Is it dying a "slow death," a "quick death," or is going to survive?

All I'd like to know is, on formal night, do you have to dress up in order to eat in the MDR? I'm not looking for opinions on if you should or not. Just trying to find out if it's mandatory or not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Noticed on my last RCCI cruise (Allure) I could count on one hand the amount of tuxes and gowns on formal night.

Mostly, it was men in a nice polo or bottom shirt and long pansy (or jeans).

You'll be fine. There are a lot more casual dressers than there are formal dressers.

Less and less dress up these days on all cruise lines.

Edited by graphicguy

I worked my way through high school and college selling formal wear. What suggested dress is for "formal" night is not formal to begin with.

Generally I'd be happier with a "cover yourself" night -- it seems that formal night is an excuse for many women to come to eat in next to no clothes -- sleeveless, cut down to "there" and hemmed up to "here", no pantyhose and let me tell you ladies, 90% of you really can't come close to carrying it off.:o

I really prefer to see anyone dressed "nice" than in faux formal. (although on a recent Celebrity cruise there was one table of 30 to 40-somethings dressed in 70's and 80's period tuxes and prom dresses -- they were hilarious! and pretty darn "formal"!) :D

Having said that, I do have a serious question. My DW and I disagree on the number of people who actually wear "Suggested Attire" on Formal Night. I think it's fewer and fewer. Maybe 50% or less. And it seems that more and more want it to just fade away. What are other observations. Is it dying a "slow death," a "quick death," or is going to survive?

If you are drawing the line at Tux & Gown and not counting black suit and classy dress, then it's already been read its last rights. FWIW, I am not judging, I really don't care what other people wear, only what I do.

Edited by Dajbman22

Only one quick comment then I'll shut up. No one said less than a suit and dress is not dressed nice. What it is though is not dressed "Formal." It's "Formal Night." Not "dress nice" night. I've seen men in Polo Shirts and Bermuda Shorts that look terrific. It isn't "Formal," and would likely be turned away from the MDR, yet I've seen guys in t-shirts and jeans in the MDR on Formal Night. So there is a difference between "Formal" and "dressed nice."

I think it is partially dependent on where you cruise and the length of cruise (both of which affect the demographic). DH always wears a full tux and I wear a cocktail dress - on our most recent cruise all the couples at our table were dressed like that. It was a 14 night from Singapore and most of the guests were older. I think shorter Caribbean cruises have a bit more casual vibe although we also dress for formal night the as its our preference.

We're mid 30s professionals and for us we feel formal night is enjoyable. We wear suits for work every day but formal night is still different and fun. We like to go to the captains reception and we sometimes get photos using our C&A coupon.

On our RCI cruise last year...the first formal night there might have been 50% dressed in what many would consider formal attire (and the majority of those were women). On the second formal night I would be shocked if 25% participated (and the vast majority were women).

Obviously that is just based on my observation of the late seating. I have no clue about the early seating and did not actually walk the MDR on all levels.

On our RCI cruise last year...the first formal night there might have been 50% dressed in what many would consider formal attire (and the majority of those were women). On the second formal night I would be shocked if 25% participated (and the vast majority were women).

Obviously that is just based on my observation of the late seating. I have no clue about the early seating and did not actually walk the MDR on all levels.

I agree with this assessment for early seating also. I have the feeling is that several husbands were "coerced" into dressing up the first night and upon seeing the number of men actually wearing suits and/tuxes, decided not to participate the second night.

As an earlier poster mentioned, the demographics of the cruise ship have a big impact. More dressy on the Alaskan and New England cruises; much less dressy on the short Bahama cruises. Less dressy during the times of the year that families cruise; more dressy while school is in session.

Personally, I think the tradition is slowly dying on the mass market lines. But even with that, I will wear my tux with pride whenever I want to and I will wear my dockers and polos with the same level of pride whenever I want to.

Edited by comxkid

I agree with this assessment for early seating also. I have the feeling is that several husbands were "coerced" into dressing up the first night and upon seeing the number of men actually wearing suits and/tuxes, decided not to participate the second night.

As an earlier poster mentioned, the demographics of the cruise ship have a big impact. More dressy on the Alaskan and New England cruises; much less dressy on the short Bahama cruises. Less dressy during the times of the year that families cruise; more dressy while school is in session.

Personally, I think the tradition is slowly dying on the mass market lines. But even with that, I will wear my tux with pride whenever I want to and I will wear my dockers and polos with the same level of pride whenever I want to.

Nothing I have proof for, but that observation was from first seating & it's my guess that the percentage will generally be higher for late seating. I think those who are more inclined to dress for dinner are more likely to be those who also prefer to dine at 8:00-8:30 vs. 5:30-6:00.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

If you mean tuxedos, then as a PP said, it's pretty much dead. For the first formal night on our last RCI cruise, DH wore a dark suit and tie and I wore a floor length gown. We saw suits and ties in the MDR and floor length gowns and cocktail dresses. But we had late seating and outside of the MDR everyone was in casual clothes around the ship. On the second formal night I wore a cocktail dress and DH was pretty grumpy about wearing a tie so I told him he didn't have to. He did wear his suit jacket. We ate in Chops that night and didn't see anyone else there in formal attire (tux or suits with ties and gowns). Personally, I love to dress up! I'm a graduate student and wear jeans or shorts just about every day. Any excuse to put on something dressy is fun for me and a cruise formal night is pretty much my only opportunity!