Deluxe Ocean View Rooms

Lovesatq

I'm sure this question has been posted in the past but unable to locate thread. I'm in the process of booking our first transoceanic cruise with Oceania next year and was wondering about others experience with the Deluxe Ocean View room. We have always had a balcony in the past but I'm attracted to the mid-ship location and of course the price. What has been your experience?

I have only been in the Ocean view cabins on the R ships but the cabins are the same size inside as the balcony cabins in the A & B category

(some exceptions apply)

The O class ships do have the floor to ceiling windows but again the interior size is comparable to the A & B cabins on the Marina & Riviera

We found the cabin comfortable we have spent up to 30 day in one stretch in them without issue

YMMV

It just depends on your personal needs/wants

Lyn

on a TA, and that means lots of days of jockeying to get a lounge chair by the pool, when the weather is nice.

We used our balcony constantly on our Rome to Rio in 2011.

Agree! There are always beautiful days to use your balcony and those who value privacy and don't need constant company enjoy the private space even more.

The room is exactly the same as the A and B rooms without the verandah. In place of the sliding door there is a floor to ceiling window. The call is yours if you want a verandah or not. Right under the window is a tender.

The information above applies only to the Ocean view cabins on the Marina and the Riviera.

o-room-lg-c.jpg

The Ocean View Cabins on Insignia, Nautica and Regatta are quite different, and do not feature floor to ceiling windows.

staterooms-ship-c1.png

From time to time we book a C category cabin - Ocean View - on Riviera - because it its the same size as the many types of Veranda Cabins after excluding the balcony. We book 12 to 16 months in advance and, depending on the popularity of that cruise, we sometimes get a discounted offer of an upgrade to a cabin with a balcony. We have taken them up on their offer because of the bargain offered. Maybe that will happen to you. The in room floor space is just the same so we'd be happy to keep the Ocean View on Riviera if the deal wasn't attractive enough.

Geo

From time to time we book a C category cabin - Ocean View - on Riviera - because it its the same size as the many types of Veranda Cabins after excluding the balcony. We book 12 to 16 months in advance and, depending on the popularity of that cruise, we sometimes get a discounted offer of an upgrade to a cabin with a balcony. We have taken them up on their offer because of the bargain offered. Maybe that will happen to you. The in room floor space is just the same so we'd be happy to keep the Ocean View on Riviera if the deal wasn't attractive enough.

Geo

We sailed on Marina in the Baltics in June 2011 in a mid-ships Ocean View C cabin and really loved the location and the fabulous floor to ceiling views. We now are booked on Riviera for an Istanbul to Barcelona cruise in the same class of cabin.

Although I enjoyed our veranda on our recent Riviera Caribbean cruise, on other cruises we only have spent a couple of hours total at most using our veranda. On our recent Azamara cruise down the Croatian coast, we used it for our wonderful Venice sailaway but very little the rest of the trip.

You will find the Ocean View cabin on Riviera is truly floor to ceiling with no rails like those on Marina.

To phrase that another way, the floor to ceiling windows in the Ocean View Cabins on the Marina have a railing in front of them, which give them a "Juliet Balcony" effect.

022534.jpg

Those railings were not repeated on Marina's slightly younger sister, Riviera.

oceania-cruise-646.jpg

I don't know, but for me it would be hard not to sail without a balcony. Like others have said sometimes the pool area just doesn't work with so many people. But even in not so great weather it's nice to get fresh air from time to time. We've used the balcony on very TA trip we've taken(we love sea days).

Rick

I don't know, but for me it would be hard not to sail without a balcony. Like others have said sometimes the pool area just doesn't work with so many people. But even in not so great weather it's nice to get fresh air from time to time. We've used the balcony on very TA trip we've taken(we love sea days).

Rick

The sea air is a major reason for having a door that opens. If you don't have one you might as well stay in one of those high rise hotels with the sealed windows and the horrible recirculated air. It's not just for the balcony!

The sea air is a major reason for having a door that opens. If you don't have one you might as well stay in one of those high rise hotels with the sealed windows and the horrible recirculated air. It's not just for the balcony!

It is not like you are confined to your cabin the whole cruise

Some people for various reasons book insides or Ocean views

Maybe not everyone is willing or can afford suites or PH cabins :rolleyes:

YMMD

Lyn

It is not like you are confined to your cabin the whole cruise

Some people for various reasons book insides or Ocean views

Maybe not everyone is willing or can afford suites or PH cabins :rolleyes:

YMMD

Lyn

So true but this discussion was started as a matter of choice between a balcony and an ocean view.

Edited by orchestrapal

So true but this discussion was started as a matter of choice between a balcony and an ocean view.

Agreed

So not really sure why the comment

If you don't have one you might as well stay in one of those high rise hotels with the sealed windows and the horrible recirculated air

Makes it sound like if you do not get a balcony there is something wrong with you

JMO

Edited by LHT28

agreed

so not really sure why the comment

if you don't have one you might as well stay in one of those high rise hotels with the sealed windows and the horrible recirculated air

makes it sound like if you do not get a balcony there is something wrong with you

jmo

oh please!

Thanks everyone for all the responses and pictures. Didn't say in original post but we'll be on the Marina. It's hard to go from a balcony when you always have had one but to be honest on our last Regent Panama cruise we really only used the balcony for the transit and it was worth that one day. Think I'm going to leave the decision up to my hubby. This might sound weird but we have a picture of him doing the he-man pose in his boxing shorts on the balcony on every cruise we've been on. :) We'll see if he's willing to give up the tradition.

Ocean view cabins are horrible. Nobody should reserve them.

They're also popular, although I don't think they should be.

They are much too difficult to obtain.

(That's why no one else should reserve them, making it easier for me...)

So, hondorner, YOU are the one who makes it so difficult for me to book an Ocean View!

We’ve had everything from a PH1 to A1 to B1 to C1. My preference: C/C1. I rarely use the balcony, as when sailing it’s too hot, too cold, too sunny, too windy or too salty. In port it’s too public, too noisy or too smelly. On the R ships I love the window and its handy sill, and on the O ships I love that spectacular 180˚ view. Additionally, the Cs are low and midship, good for those subject to motion sickness…not me, but some of my various stateroom mates.

Please consider a verandah on your next bookings. Leave the Ocean Views to me!

-Sukey-

I would hope that those passengers who are fresh air lovers are considerate and wise enough to keep the door to the balcony shut except for going in and out.

Why?

Well the ship has an engineered HVAC or air system that requires a controlled volume to circulate clean filtered air.

. To achieve this, the air handling/circulation units have to pressurize the ship...or Hotel...or office with about 0.25-.5+ pressure over the outside air /atmospheric pressure.

Opening and leaving open a window, even a crack depressurizes the whole area or zone and deprives all the adjacent areas , in this case cabins, of their required air circulation. The system can not compensate for even a small but continuous leak for long.

Hotels here in Hawaii have now installed cut off switches in sliding doors and windows that turn off the entire air/ducts/AC in your room to avoid outside contamination and system failure, when you open them for any reason.

Worse, the outside air when high in humidity and introduce molds and bacteria's that can make a home in the ducting/condensers and cause wide spread respiratory problems over the area served. ( remember legionnaires disease..?) as well as the condensers to ice up rendering the whole system out of services.

So please keep the doors shut at all times...and keep everybody healthy and happy.