Boxed wine

bigguy6

What is the current policy regarding boxed wine. Can you bring it on and if so what size?

Boxed wine exceeds the 750 ml limit for wine brought onboard and thus not allowed. Whether it's enforced or not is anybody's guess & may vary by ship, port or day you're there. ;)

Boxed wine exceeds the 750 ml limit for wine brought onboard and thus not allowed. Whether it's enforced or not is anybody's guess & may vary by ship, port or day you're there. ;)

The box we are thinking of bringing on board is 750 ml, so again can it be brought on board?

The box we are thinking of bringing on board is 750 ml, so again can it be brought on board?

As long as it's a maximum size of 750 ml then it shouldn't matter whether it's bottled or boxed. The 1st two 750 ml containers have no fee to drink in your cabin but subject to a $15/container outside of the cabin.

What is the current policy regarding boxed wine. Can you bring it on and if so what size?

I take all I want depending upon cruise length.The large Blackbox will yield 4 bottles.I calculate a bottle a day.Just stick them in your checked baggage....never an issue.Do have some discretion,dont take your boxed wine to the dining room!

I take all I want depending upon cruise length.The large Blackbox will yield 4 bottles.I calculate a bottle a day.Just stick them in your checked baggage....never an issue.Do have some discretion,dont take your boxed wine to the dining room!

Beware on putting it in your checked bag as I have read several people being called off ship by Princess to the luggage area and shown the bottles that were found in their checked bags, then had them emptied and were handed back the empty bottles......they seem to be cracking down more and more.

I appreciate the convenience of being able to pack a larger box of wine. I'd even be willing to pay the corkage for the difference between one and two regulation 750 ml bottles. But I don't try to subvert the official policy. I've found a couple of wines in 750 ml boxes. They're not as good as Black Box or some of the other better box wines, but they're drinkable for a glass of wine before dinner.

Beware on putting it in your checked bag as I have read several people being called off ship by Princess to the luggage area and shown the bottles that were found in their checked bags, then had them emptied and were handed back the empty bottles......they seem to be cracking down more and more.

Confiscated liquors in original containers (and that doesn't usually apply to wines) are HELD until the end of the cruise. If someone told of alcohol being emptied it was likely due to it being smuggled in a non-original bottle.

The day that Princess dumped out a fine bottle of "Chateau de Blankey-Blank" (or even a bottle of Boone's Farm) there would be so much chatter on this board to start a riot.

Confiscated liquors in original containers (and that doesn't usually apply to wines) are HELD until the end of the cruise. If someone told of alcohol being emptied it was likely due to it being smuggled in a non-original bottle.

The day that Princess dumped out a fine bottle of "Chateau de Blankey-Blank" (or even a bottle of Boone's Farm) there would be so much chatter on this board to start a riot.

I do beleive it was hard alcohol that was dumped from an original bottle...I thought it was rum or whiskey...there were several that posted in their reviews or lives from it. It was right around May of last year as I remember reading it before we left on our wine country coastal cruise. I am not a drinker but would hate to see anyone lose something they paid for by smuggling it in. I just hope they dont crack down on my case of water I bring on board..lol

Confiscated liquors are not held, they are destroyed. YOU DONT GET THEM BACK.

The day that Princess dumped out a fine bottle of "Chateau de Blankey-Blank" (or even a bottle of Boone's Farm) there would be so much chatter on this board to start a

Edited by antsp

If you carry on something (local liquers) you purchased at a port of call, not the home port, it WILL be held until the last day. Not destroyed.

What happens at the home ports with hard liquor being smuggled, probably can vary. Thus the two differnt opinions.:confused:

you can bring as much wine as you want on board. It must be in your carry on luggage and not the checked luggage. If it's more than the one bottle per person, you will have to pay the corkage fees. I brought a black box and no one said a word. Luck of the draw but I was prepared to pay for it because when you figure it out, it was still cheaper than buying 4 bottles of wine on board and kept nicely for my 10 day cruise.

you can bring as much wine as you want on board. It must be in your carry on luggage and not the checked luggage. If it's more than the one bottle per person, you will have to pay the corkage fees. I brought a black box and no one said a word. Luck of the draw but I was prepared to pay for it because when you figure it out, it was still cheaper than buying 4 bottles of wine on board and kept nicely for my 10 day cruise.

I just got off the Grand 15 day. Took 8 bottles of 750ml all in my checked luggage, well protected with wine bottle egg-crates. Outside the boxes were well marked with Wine. I fully intended to pay the corkage fee on 6 bottles. I checked at the security desk before boarding that I had some extra bottles of wine. He asked to see them and I said they were in my checked luggage. He said OK and went on my way. They all arrived intact in my stateroom. No charges appeared on room charges. Only when I took one of the bottles to dinner, was I charged a corkage fee of $15. We were able to drink wine out on the deck, once we did it with wine glasses. Other times we used our coffee travel mugs up by the pool.

I just got off the Grand 15 day. Took 8 bottles of 750ml all in my checked luggage, well protected with wine bottle egg-crates. Outside the boxes were well marked with Wine. I fully intended to pay the corkage fee on 6 bottles. I checked at the security desk before boarding that I had some extra bottles of wine. He asked to see them and I said they were in my checked luggage. He said OK and went on my way. They all arrived intact in my stateroom. No charges appeared on room charges. Only when I took one of the bottles to dinner, was I charged a corkage fee of $15. We were able to drink wine out on the deck, once we did it with wine glasses. Other times we used our coffee travel mugs up by the pool.

You were lucky. Others haven't been so lucky and have had anything packed in their luggage destroyed. I wouldn't risk it but just my opinion based in others experiences posted here. I'll carry them on and pay corkage if I have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would not want a paper box of wine bursting on loading/transfer. I prefer to budget for a bottle of wine to share at dinner. An occasional wine during the day I will just buy. At the low end of the pre-paid booze packages you would have to drink almost 8 drinks a day to 'break even'. That is a lot of a workout for your liver over the length of your trip. For some, the packages are a good deal. The hassle and/or risk of lugging a bottle or more just is not worth it to me and it would not be enough on a longer cruise. Or, just bring what you want and pay the corkage fee outside your room or keep your stash in your room. It's an individual choice. Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were just back from Star Princess. I made several calls regarding boxed wine to Princess and was told I would not have a problem, just be prepared to pay the extra corkage. I had a box in my carryon as did my husband and our friends. Not a word was said. It is a lot more convenient then calling room service when you want a glass of wine on your balcony.