Do you sleep with your balcony door open?

towel-animal

Not anymore... One night my DD calmly told me to leave the room. He had discovered a bat! Luckily I did not see till I was out of the room. We'd had our door open while leaving St lucia the night before but closed the next so must have come and been in out room all day. Called down and they sent someone up who then proceeded to call for the externinator as we had a "batt" in the room (his spelling). They took care of it and closely checked for any other stow aways. Hence, door is closed if we are asleep

During a cruise out of NOLA - western Caribbean DH wasn't feeling well and had the room so hot I was dying. I slept on the balcony between 2 chairs - no lounger, not a suite. At least I was cool.

On Gem cruise in Caribbean we left our door open about a foot on warm nights we were just cruisin around the islands. It was wonderful. Much too cold on the way home to NYC however.

Now that I've read about the bats I guess I'll have to think about that again.

Have any of you actually slept out on the balcony overnight? We'll have a couple lounge chairs on our balcony and with hubby as a LOUD snorer, I'm thinking of just catching my ZZZ's out on the balcony.

I have slept on the balcony before due to snoring. Sometimes having the balcony doors open will drown out the snoring sound just enough, but when the waves are quiet the snoring noise wins out. It is very peaceful sleeping on the balcony.

Do you all not care that you are messing up the AC in several staterooms down the line?

We had an issue of not getting the cabin cool enough and the engineer who checked it out told us that someone near us was probably keeping the balcony doors open. He went and knocked on the doors of several cabins and found the cabin in which this was happening. He told them to keep the balcony door closed and what it was doing to other cabins. They must have kept the door closed because we no longer had any issues.

So, please keep your balcony doors closed.

And to also be fair, it is usually noted in both the cabin and the dailies.

Is it?

I don't recall seeing anything in the cabin (although I possibly wouldn't remember as I've never had my door open), but I've just looked through the first couple of dailies from last a cruise last year and can't see anything.

Just a tip if you do leave your balcony doors open...be sure to close and lock them before you leave your cabins to go anywhere. I read over on the Carnival board that some unruly teenagers jumped from one balcony unto their neighbor's, went into their cabin and stole everything from their fridge!:eek: They then locked and bolted the cabin from the inside. When the occupants of the cabin returned they had to call security to let them in. That's when their room steward told them to check their fridge. Thankfully, nothing else in the cabin was taken or ruffled through.

Edited by mousey

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you're correct about the doors, for the most part, they are sliding doors and have good locks on them too. (I think some older ships may have some with regular doors)

I wouldn't sleep with my balcony door open, you just never know. If you want to hear the ocean, sit out on your balcony, that's what we did and fell asleep too. It's so calming and peaceful but unless you're turning your AC off, not really fair to others. :)

Edited by B6ConMe

The article I read said he entered the cabin using a master key to gain access, not an open balcony door (could happen though).

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

True, he entered the woman's room using a master key. But after she took a corkscrew to his genitals and drew the attention of someone walking by in the hallway, he escaped through her balcony door, and hopped from balcony to balcony until he found an open door that he used to re-enter the ship. He may even have climbed to a different floor.

Kind of scary. For some reason, I think of the orangutan in Poe's the Murders in the Rue Morgue.

Yes, you're correct about the doors, for the most part, they are sliding doors and have good locks on them too. (I think some older ships may have some with regular doors)

I wouldn't sleep with my balcony door open, you just never know. If you want to hear the ocean, sit out on your balcony, that's what we did and fell asleep too. It's so calming and peaceful but unless you're turning your AC off, not really fair to others. :)

Thanks. I wasn't asking because I wanted to keep them open. I just found on CCL it sometimes was a struggle to open the darn door. I would think a sliding door wouldn't have as much resistance

But he escaped by climbing from balcony to balcony and entering another room via the balcony. We never keep a door unlocked at our home while we sleep and never keep a cruise balcony door open while we sleep, just basic personal security imho.

The article I read said he entered the cabin using a master key to gain access, not an open balcony door (could happen though).

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Speaking of the security aspect of an open balcony door, we did have a rather strange incident happen on our February 22nd Getaway sailing.

As soon as our cabin was announced as ready, we quickly took a peek and dropped off our carryon, walked out on the balcony and then left the cabin. Did not even think about locking the balcony door. I swear there were 2 neatly rolled blue pool towels in the bed.

When we returned, I noticed the towels were gone and thought the steward had put them away somewhere, but we looked everywhere and could not locate them. Went out on the balcony and discovered the divider door was open and swinging in the wind. DH was able to close it by using an ink pen in the hole or something. We notified the steward who confirmed the door was now secured. We asked about the towels. He checked the closet, seemed mystified and told us not to worry, he'd get us more.

Of course I immediately had a creepy feeling that someone had come into our cabin and helped themselves to a souvenir. Not sure if the dividers could be opened the same way we closed them, but I will never leave that balcony door unlocked again.

Speaking of the security aspect of an open balcony door, we did have a rather strange incident happen on our February 22nd Getaway sailing.

As soon as our cabin was announced as ready, we quickly took a peek and dropped off our carryon, walked out on the balcony and then left the cabin. Did not even think about locking the balcony door. I swear there were 2 neatly rolled blue pool towels in the bed.

When we returned, I noticed the towels were gone and thought the steward had put them away somewhere, but we looked everywhere and could not locate them. Went out on the balcony and discovered the divider door was open and swinging in the wind. DH was able to close it by using an ink pen in the hole or something. We notified the steward who confirmed the door was now secured. We asked about the towels. He checked the closet, seemed mystified and told us not to worry, he'd get us more.

Of course I immediately had a creepy feeling that someone had come into our cabin and helped themselves to a souvenir. Not sure if the dividers could be opened the same way we closed them, but I will never leave that balcony door unlocked again.

That is creepy!!