Newest chops menu

I don't have a copy of the menu but will tell you about some of the changes. The new menu has not rolled out on all ships yet as I understand it. There are a number of entrées available at no additional charge beyond the $35 for eating there in the first place. My friends and I all had the 8 oz filet. That is in the standard menu. As I recall, the other options included salmon, lamb, chicken.

There is an up charge of 18-25 for one of two dry aged steaks or a lobster.

There have been changes to the sides available. They are mashed potatoes, fried potatoes, homemade tater tots (NO FLAVOR- yuk) grilled asparagus, spinach, mushrooms. I think there were one or two other potato dishes that I can't remember. The broccolini is gone.

The biggest objection I had to the changes in Chops was that I had always had wonderful service. On Navigator - first week long cruise after dry dock - our waiter had so many tables that we never saw him. Our steaks were put before us and it was more than 30 minutes when he came back to take away the plates with NO ONE ever asking us if the food was ok, if the steaks were cooked the way we wanted. And they were not. Flagging someone down was impossible. There was no offer to cook our steaks longer. He just grabbed our plates and left. They did not have enough waiters to handle the restaurant that night and this guy didn't have much in the way of a table side manner.

My friend and I did ask to see the manager on our way out and had to wait for her to be summoned from Giovanni's Table. After telling her about our experiences. She thanked us for letter her know and comped us 30% of the charge for our dinner.

I will still go to Chop's on my next cruise as it is a 13 night transatlantic and we will need the occasional break from the MDR. But I have to say after this past experience, I am more enthusiastic about dinner at Giovanni's Table. This was the only bad experience I have had at Chops. And I am assuming that it was an exception.

I don't have a copy of the menu but will tell you about some of the changes. The new menu has not rolled out on all ships yet as I understand it. There are a number of entrées available at no additional charge beyond the $35 for eating there in the first place. My friends and I all had the 8 oz filet. That is in the standard menu. As I recall, the other options included salmon, lamb, chicken.

There have been changes to the sides available. They are mashed potatoes, fried potatoes, homemade tater tots (NO FLAVOR- yuk) grilled asparagus, spinach, mushrooms. I think there were one or two other potato dishes that I can't remember. The broccolini is gone.

The biggest objection I had to the changes in Chops was that I had always had wonderful service. On Navigator - first week long cruise after dry dock - our waiter had so many tables that we never saw him. Our steaks were put before us and it was more than 30 minutes when he came back to take away the plates with NO ONE ever asking us if the food was ok, if the steaks were cooked the way we wanted. And they were not. Flagging someone down was impossible. There was no offer to cook our steaks longer. He just grabbed our plates and left. They did not have enough waiters to handle the restaurant that night and this guy didn't have much in the way of a table side manner.

My friend and I did ask to see the manager on our way out and had to wait for her to be summoned from Giovanni's Table. After telling her about our experiences. She thanked us for letter her know and comped us 30% of the charge for our dinner.

I will still go to Chop's on my next cruise as it is a 13 night transatlantic and we will need the occasional break from the MDR. But I have to say after this past experience, I am more enthusiastic about dinner at Giovanni's Table. This was the only bad experience I have had at Chops. And I am assuming that it was an exception.

Hopefully you're correct about the lousy service being an exception. Unfortunately, the new menu missing many of the items that used to be there (baked potato, 2 different size filets, other steaks) along with the increased charge - $35 vs $30 - appears to be the "new norm." Pay more for less - unfortunately... :(

Hopefully this new menu doesn't occur anytime soon (if at all). We sail in May on the Oasis and have booked 2 nights at Chops. As stupid as it may sound, one of the big reasons we've stayed with Royal is because of Chops. I have no love at all for the new "enhanced" menu. My standard is the large filet and baked potato without fail. If they make this change fleet wide, I'll be ready to shop for a new cruise line. :(

Is the new menu on any ship other than Navigator now? We booked Chops for our Anniversay on Legend in April and I'm hoping it's still the old menu. DH loves the Porterhouse. IMHO I don't think it's worth an additional $19.

Only the Navigator.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

By the way, rather than just fretting about if the new menu has been rolled out to other ships, why not try to nip this in the bud while it's still in the trial phase on a single ship? Why not contact Royal and inundate them with requests to keep certain menu items or not change the menu at all? Personally I think a steakhouse without a baked potato and without creme brulee is an abomination to all that's holy. I plan on writing Royal and letting them know.

We ate at Chops for my husband's birthday on February 20th, and got poor service too. I ordered a medium steak and got very rare. The waiter returned at dessert time. No head waiter visit. Wish I'd summoned the head waiter from Giovannis. You're right, tator tots had beautiful presentation, but tasted awful.

If this has been our first experience at Chops, we wouldn't be back.

Edited by knittinggirl

By the way, rather than just fretting about if the new menu has been rolled out to other ships, why not try to nip this in the bud while it's still in the trial phase on a single ship? Why not contact Royal and inundate them with requests to keep certain menu items or not change the menu at all? Personally I think a steakhouse without a baked potato and without creme brulee is an abomination to all that's holy. I plan on writing Royal and letting them know.

I definitely plan on voicing my opinion to Royal. The new menu seems like nothing more than yet another money grab. I already dislike the change in the MDR menus. Without the favorites at Chops that I look forward to every trip, I guarantee that I won't be spending money there. It's likely that I won't spend money with RCI at all.

Oh boy, I have two nights reservations to Chops on the Allure in May and it doesn't appear its going to be good for me.

I can't have gluten and dairy...so for instance, take the new sides that are offered, gruyere tator tots (can't have the cheese), mashed potatoes (can't have the dairy in it), creamed spinach (can't have dairy), mushrooms (hate fungi do not eat that), asparagus (just ok but will do without my pee smells from eating it lolhaha), so that leaves me with NO SIDES. Now take the soups, french onion (can't have the bread or cheese thats out) and then there is mushroom soup (hate mushrooms), I do not eat any seafood either so there are no appetizers for me (I also have to stay away from acid foods such as the tomatoes)....I wonder if they can make some type of exception and give me a baked potato or even plain spinach?

Anybody have this problem?

Oh boy, I have two nights reservations to Chops on the Allure in May and it doesn't appear its going to be good for me.

I can't have gluten and dairy...so for instance, take the new sides that are offered, gruyere tator tots (can't have the cheese), mashed potatoes (can't have the dairy in it), creamed spinach (can't have dairy), mushrooms (hate fungi do not eat that), asparagus (just ok but will do without my pee smells from eating it lolhaha), so that leaves me with NO SIDES. Now take the soups, french onion (can't have the bread or cheese thats out) and then there is mushroom soup (hate mushrooms), I do not eat any seafood either so there are no appetizers for me (I also have to stay away from acid foods such as the tomatoes)....I wonder if they can make some type of exception and give me a baked potato or even plain spinach?

Yes. The day before you go to dine go to the restaurant and speak to the chef. Tell him what your needs are and ask for his suggestions on what you can eat. If you are paying for the privilege you should be served food of a comparable standard. I have had this situation in Portofino's previously.

It's also just as likely that you'll have the old Chops menu still. Has there been any indication as to an I-Day for this menu fleetwide?

Hello, I heard that Chops Menu has changed, we booked one evening there and curious whether we would like the new menu to dine there a second evening, does anybody have a copy of the latest menu for Chops?

For those of you who have not seen the "new Chops Menu" this link will take you to a Photobucket image:

http://s1327.photobucket.com/user/bobinfl/library/New%20Chops%20Menu

NobertsNiece, thank you.

Garnetpalmetto- I sure hope the old menu will be on the Allure when I go and not the new one.

BobinFl- Looks like from that menu I better off eating in the MDR

wmp.dll, what is his email I send him a message also! Your absolutely right no baked potato something that is inexpensive too how ridiculous not to have a baked potato!

wmp.dll, what is his email I send him a message also! Your absolutely right no baked potato something that is inexpensive too how ridiculous not to have a baked potato!

AGoldstein@rccl.com

He doesn't read the email, the executive customer service people read them and if your email is worthy of a response they will get back to you. But I'm sure if they see a trend of people complaining about this supposed new chops menu, maybe they will have further discussion on it before rolling it out.