Why Royal Carribean to Alaska?

Wow-lots of differing opinions here! I will throw my 2 cents in...Having been to Alaska (first cruise ever on Celebrity Infinity in 2004 and whining all the way to Vancouver from NJ because I had no desire to go on a cruise OR go to Alaska), we chose Norwegian Sun for our upcoming cruise. Reasons are that I found Celebrity too expensive this time (last time it was just me with other family members; this time it is DH and I for our 25th Anniversary) and as for RCCL, they don't offer anything after August, and we wanted to go to Alaska in September. To each his own...!

Edited by MaryL31

Feel free to read our Alaska cruise review with photos. The link is in my signature below.

Here are my 2 cents:

We chose Holland America when we sailed to Alaska last summer. We seriously considered Royal Caribbean, specially since we were a group of 14 family members and we thought that Royal would've been a better fit, but at the end, Holland won. Here are the reasons:

- Glacier Bay: People may want to downplay it, but believe me, it was absolutely SPECTACULAR. Easily, it was the highlight of our cruise. Sailing into Glacier Bay was amazing. During my research on other boards, the one piece of advice that always remained consistent was to select an itinerary that included Glacier Bay, and I'm glad that I followed that advice.

- Itinerary: We wanted an itinerary that sailed from Seattle (for convenience and to keep costs down). On Royal, that meant sailing to 3 ports departing on a Friday. On Holland, we visited 4 ports departing on a Saturday (more convenient), including Sitka which is not found on any Royal Caribbean itinerary. Sitka turned out to be another highlight of our cruise, easily beating other ports with its natural beauty.

- Price: Because Holland (and Princess) have so many ships sailing in Alaskan waters, you are more likely to find better better prices and promotions, as well as price drops. When we sailed, we originally booked an oceanview stateroom. Our 2 kids paid only taxes (thanks to a Kids Sail Free promotion), and a few days before departure, there was a price drop so we upgraded to a balcony stateroom plus we received $150 OBC! :D Had we chosen to sail on Royal we would've easily spent almost $1,200 more, and never received a price drop or an upgrade (I kept monitoring prices until the end). By the time it was all said and done, our 7 night Alaska cruise on Holland cost about the same as what Royal is charging us to sail on a 4 night cruise to the Bahamas this summer. :eek: (Thank goodness for credit card points and savings certificates!)

Alaska is wonderful and it can be affordable with some ingenuity and planning. Our airfare from Atlanta to Seattle was not much more than what we've paid to fly to Florida ($258 roundtrip per person on Southwest). I monitored airfare prices like a hawk and knew when to go for the kill, which in our case, was on the specific day our dates became available online. Although we probably didn't see as much of Alaska by sailing roundtrip from Seattle (instead of doing a one-way from/to Vancouver) we saved a significant amount of money on airfare. The one way would've cost us around $700pp.

We had an absolutely wonderful time visiting glaciers in Juneau, hiking through a National forest and seeing bald eagles up close in Sitka, exploring Ketchikan by land and sea, and walking along the Parliament and the Fairmont Empress in Victoria. ALL FOR ABOUT $75pp TOTAL!!

So between Holland's very competitive pricing and discounts, the great deal on airfare on Southwest, and our research with excursions, we did Alaska very affordably. It was an amazing experience, and one that I would love to repeat some day.

Once again, feel free to read my cruise review with photos to get more details about our experience. Hope its helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

We and another couple are planning a cruise in Alaska in 2015. Was leaning towards 2 other cruise lines but just got off with a travel agent I've known for awhile and he thought Royal Carribean was one of the top 3 lines to Alaska.

Haven't considered them because they can't do Glacier Bay. He, however, thought that would be fine.

Thoughts on why you picked it to Alaska and what were the pros/cons upon return.

Thank you!

We have cruised to Alaska three times, all on Royal Caribbean. We've cruised on the Serenade (sister ship to the Radiance), the Vision, and the Rhapsody there. The first two cruises we cruised to Glacier Bay and saw the Hubbard Glacier. Totally magnificent! Really think this is one not to be missed.

The itineraries we've cruised have been from Vancouver to Vancouver, Vancouver to Anchorage, Seattle to Seattle. On the Vancouver to Anchorage itinerary, the ship will dock in Seward. We then booked the train through Royal to Anchorage. So glad we took that transportation. A nice final and beautiful excursion.

Royal does cruise to Glacier Bay on the Radiance in 2015. You would need to cruise out of either Vancouver or Anchorage for that itinerary. Yes, the airfare would be more costly in all likelihood since it requires a one way ticket to each city, but well worth it to see the Hubbard Glacier just once!

The Jewel which is cruising from Seattle in 2015 will go to the Tracy Arm fjord and you will see the Sawyer Glacier. We had a wonderful ship's captain on the Rhapsody who go us extremely close to the glacier. While not as large as the Hubbard Glacier, it was very interesting to be so close.

Not having cruised other lines, I can't compare. I did find that Celebrity does a Vancouver to Vancouver itinerary and one last Alaska cruise that season out of San Francisco. Again, I've not cruised on Celebrity, but they are a division of Royal. Have heard nothing but positive about them.

Our experience in Alaska with Royal was different all three times. We did different excursions, saw different scenery each time, and none of the three was repetitious. Alaska is a beautiful part of the US and not to be missed.

No matter what line you choose to go on, I hope you enjoy Alaska tremendously!

Edited by denamo

The first two cruises we cruised to Glacier Bay and saw the Hubbard Glacier. Totally magnificent! Really think this is one not to be missed.

Royal does cruise to Glacier Bay on the Radiance in 2015.....well worth it to see the Hubbard Glacier just once!

I'm a bit confused by your post. Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay are two different locations. Which one are you referring to?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

We've done RT Seattle to Alaska and loved not having to worry about airport customs. I think the airfare is cheaper, because we're not flying all the way from Anchorage. That said, the Princess cruise through glacier bay is also wonderful. If you can afford a cruise tour up to Fairbanks, then be sure to do it!

We have cruised to Alaska three times, all on Royal Caribbean. . . . The first two cruises we cruised to Glacier Bay and saw the Hubbard Glacier. Totally magnificent! Really think this is one not to be missed.

. . .

Royal does cruise to Glacier Bay on the Radiance in 2015. You would need to cruise out of either Vancouver or Anchorage for that itinerary. Yes, the airfare would be more costly in all likelihood since it requires a one way ticket to each city, but well worth it to see the Hubbard Glacier just once!

This is a lot of incorrect information. Royal Caribbean does NOT go to glacier bay. I'm pretty sure they never have, as they do not have permits to do so (for at least as long as I can remember).

Royal Caribbean does go to Hubbard Glacier, which is located in Disenchantment Bay -- a completely different place.

Edited by gjkubel

You want an honest and objective opinion?

I go for RCCL on most cruise destinations EXCEPT Alaska and Hawaii..

The deal breaker here is RCCL doesn't have a permit to go into Glacier Bay.. for those who have been to Alaska will attest that Glacier Bay is a must see...

There are 3 cruise lines that have the most permits.. HAL, Princess, and NCL.

My last Alaska cruise is with HAL, this year will be going back via NCL..

Sure RCCL goes to Hubbard and Tracy Arm.. but those cruise lines that have permits goes to Hubbard and Tracy Arm as well.. like my upcoming 14 day Alaska cruise, we will visit Glacier Bay, Hubbard, and Tracy Arm all in one sailing...

Radiance of the Seas is a nice ship, but for me, not having Glacier Bay in its IT is a deal breaker.. that is why I booked Radiance for another scenic cruise route which is Australia and New Zealand.. instead of Alaska

This is a lot of incorrect information. Royal Caribbean does NOT go to glacier bay. I'm pretty sure they never have, as they do not have permits to do so (for at least as long as I can remember).

Royal Caribbean does go to Hubbard Glacier, which is located in Disenchantment Bay -- a completely different place.

I can't seem to edit my post, so I'll quote it instead, but it looks like the last time RCCL went to Glacier Bay was in 1999.

I've been to Alaska twice, both on RCCL. I've never been to glacier bay, so maybe I just don't know what I am missing, but I've always been happy with Hubbard Glacier and I like RCCL's product, so I will be sticking with them again next year.

Some people swear by Glacier Bay, some actually prefer Hubbard. So, in the end, the OP will have to decide which is more important to them - Glacier Bay or being on RCCL.

Another option is do to a flightseeing tour of Glacier Bay. I'm kinda surprised there are no daytours by boat to Glacier Bay from Icy Strait -- you'd think if RCCL could arrange that, they'd be able to fill the biggest hole in their Alaska offerings, even if they couldn't get their big ships in.

Sorry - did I quote "I cannot imagine Ft Lauderdale NOT getting one of these ships full time" out of context?

Royal Caribbean Cruses Ltd has been running Celebrity Solstice, a 1033 foot long ship, successfully in Alaska. Q-class is 1144 feet long, less than 5% longer. If Solstice can do it, I don't see why Q-class would have a problem.

BTW, I'm with you in feeling that current Q-class fares are higher than I'm willing to pay. Maybe in a few years...

Thom

Check your math. :D

Check your math. :D
Ooops:o That should be less than 11% (rather the 5% I previously said). My problem is that I used a calculator and obviously enter figures incorrectly. Just by looking at the numbers I can quickly tell that Q is somewhat more than 100 feet longer, and 100 is 10% of 1000. I should have caught that:(

Nevertheless I still think that if S-class functions well, Q-class would not have problems.

Ooops:o That should be less than 11% (rather the 5% I previously said). My problem is that I used a calculator and obviously enter figures incorrectly. Just by looking at the numbers I can quickly tell that Q is somewhat more than 100 feet longer, and 100 is 10% of 1000. I should have caught that:(

Nevertheless I still think that if S-class functions well, Q-class would not have problems.

I don't know one way or the other but we sailed Princess for Alaska and Glacier Bay was phenomenal. As much as we love sailing Royal, I wouldn't go back on a ship that couldn't go there. I also read that Anthem was doing the Independence itinerary. We're waiting for that to be posted so we can sail Anthem. Not a fan of the Quantum itinerary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We and another couple are planning a cruise in Alaska in 2015. Was leaning towards 2 other cruise lines but just got off with a travel agent I've known for awhile and he thought Royal Carribean was one of the top 3 lines to Alaska.

Haven't considered them because they can't do Glacier Bay. He, however, thought that would be fine.

Thoughts on why you picked it to Alaska and what were the pros/cons upon return.

Thank you!

We've cruised AK several times - from the late 80's through the ninties and 'aughts - with our last AK cruise in 2011. We've tried Regency (now defunct) on an ancient ship through the big and newer ships (Princess, Celebrity, and RCCI).

While Glacier is lovely under any conditions, I prefer Glacier Bay on a flight-see excursion. Hubbard is awesome (the real meaning of awesome :D) so whatever line you choose make certain it includes Hubbard. The calving is spectacular, and the panaramic view is really hard to explain.

Any AK cruise will be breathtaking and enjoyable. Make certain you pick for intinerary. That's where it gets hard.

Ideally I'd like a Northbound out of Seattle or Vancouver - with a stop in Victoria (particularly if you've never been there otherwise), Juneau and Sitka. Ketikan and Skagway are OK, but most AK cruises stop in one or both -- and they have become hopelessly touristy. And then spend some time on a land trip at the end. Flight-see Glacier Bay, rent a car and drive around (itinerary based upon the amount of time you have)/

To note, my favorite ship - I must say that we did two RCCI Radiance AK cruises -- and I love that ship (particularly for AK). There are so many spots to view -- both indoor and external. But they do not stop in Sitka and tend to do round trips.

Footnote: it seems that if I take a vacation anywhere that area has unusually pleasant wheather that day or week or whatever. I rarely get rained upon on vacation (even in areas of HI or Ketchikan that are known for rain). Skys are clear -- "sunny" San Fransico or Seattle in my experience. Volancos erupt in a controlled fashion -- cool enough to see Mt Etna or the lava flowing into the Pacific on the big island, but no danger. "Perfect" viewing for Hubbard, or Glacier Bay, or Mt St. Helens, or the Amalfi coast. I swear, the fog lifted in front of us as our tour progressed through Ephasis! So please note, I am available for hire :D!

Edited by Onessa

Dragonoftheseas, I just read your Alaska review and WOW. I really want to go but wonder how much all of it costs pp? I know prices today will be higher than when you went but could you give an approximate cost of such an amazing vacation?

We are 2 retired teachers--so, we do not have an unlimited budget. We used all of the Hilton points we had to get our room in Vancouver.

We made certain decisions before we went to get the most our of our trip.

1st--we took a one-way cruise. Yes the airfare is a little more using the multi-city booking on the airlines. However, it is a long way for me to go from the east coast and not get the most bank for my buck. the RT cruises see 4 ports. We saw that and got to see a lot of the interior.

2nd--we decided the excursion were more important to us than the room. we had an inside cabin. For the difference in the cost of a balcony cabin I paid for all of my excursions. I sent so little time on the ship--not even talking about the room that it just did not matter. When we were awake and in port we were ashore. Alaska excursion begin early.

3rd. We did the high--low approach. We pick two ports to go all out [whale watch, Skagway railroad.van excursion] and 2 to pick more affordable choices. Ketchikan we used the public bus to go to the Totem Bight park and walk Creek street. We had crab appetizers and seafood chowder for lunch. We spent very little money and got a great deal of local flavor. In Juneau we visited the glacier. We had a free tour from our TA but could have visited the Glacier for $16. Then we walked around the city to the state capitol [free tours] and visited the Russian Orthodox church [free]

DH had a beer--I passed.

PS--the rental car in Anchorage was $88 for 2 days. That is good by AK standards. Book early. You can always cancel if you change your mind. The rentals get higher as the summer approaches.

Spread out the cost. Every time we booked something we paid for it. So, we paid for the trip over months.

In answer to your question about total cost. It was $8,000 from start to finish for DH and I. Some people spend that on a cabin.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas