Cruise Etiquette: What have passengers done onboard your cruise that was rude?

Is it self centered to book a cruise with a serious health issue that's already had one removed from a previous cruise? That situation is being discussed elsewhere on this forum. The other thousands on that ship should take a back seat to that individual should they need to be medically evacuated?

I'm into this "cheap Caribbean cruise" for $2100 for 3 plane tickets, $3000 for a single inside cabin and $1500 for excursions and I haven't even gotten on the boat yet. Maybe that's chump change to you but it isn't to me and besides that, I don't have vacation time available to redo it.

If not wanting to miss a port means cruising is not for me, than a person expecting an immediate medical evacuation isn't for them. If this baby were minutes from dying, it took at least 2 hours to turn around.

I don't think it's unreasonable of a passenger to want to know why the ship turned around. If another boat or helicopter weren't available or weather conditions would not permit it, I would accept it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't remember what the medical condition was but we were off the coast of Georgetown. There wasn't a helicopter available to airlift the baby off the ship and actually, when we got back to port the ship Doctor had to go with the baby and the equipment to make sure the baby made it to the hospital as the ships ambulance wasn't equipped to handle this emergency. The baby and her family were flown home to the states after the baby was stabilized and she did make a full recovery.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by rose28651

I have a great deal of respect for those cruisers in wheelchairs, on scooters, using canes and/or oxygen. They are out experiencing life instead of sitting home. I hope I have the same drive to cruise should I need assistance.

They always get a clear path from me, I'm not in a hurry.

[emoji867]THIS! I hope I can get out like some of the people I see on ships that you know it has to be difficult for.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am certainly not a judge, and thankfully haven't come any where near one. You however, may be nearer to one than many of us.;)

Perhaps I will buy you a drink, at least I know it will be a cheap shout.:p

Two little stories..

The bloke who persuaded us to try cruising, well along with his beautiful wife, was an elderly Queen's Counsel, who, every time I saw him, would remind me that I was actually the second Barrister he knew who didn't drink, the first being back in the '30s, he seemed genuinely amazed that such a creature existed.

Another friend was, for many years, an acting Judge (this meant that from time to time he would be called upon to sit as a Judge for a period of weeks) now many in the Profession do not really approve of acting Judges believing that there may be a temptation to hand down judgements that suited the government of the day in the hope that they would get future appointments, his favourite joke:

"what is the difference between an acting Judge and a shopping trolley?"

Answer

"A shopping trolley has a mind of its own.... And you can only fit so much booze in a shopping trolley."

Believe me "As sober as a judge" is rubbish.

Two little stories..

The bloke who persuaded us to try cruising, well along with his beautiful wife, was an elderly Queen's Counsel, who, every time I saw him, would remind me that I was actually the second Barrister he knew who didn't drink, the first being back in the '30s, he seemed genuinely amazed that such a creature existed.

Another friend was, for many years, an acting Judge (this meant that from time to time he would be called upon to sit as a Judge for a period of weeks) now many in the Profession do not really approve of acting Judges believing that there may be a temptation to hand down judgements that suited the government of the day in the hope that they would get future appointments, his favourite joke:

"what is the difference between an acting Judge and a shopping trolley?"

Answer

"A shopping trolley has a mind of its own.... And you can only fit so much booze in a shopping trolley."

Believe me "As sober as a judge" is rubbish.

LOL, I like both anecdotes.:D

Someone lighting up a cigarette right next to my child even though we were there first. You want to poison your body that's fine with me, just don't poison my child because you're too inconsiderate to find another place. :mad:

Wow. I smoke but would never light up unless it's the smoking section!!! It's people like that who drive me nuts too !

Not just passengers, crews officers and servers need additional training about how to treat Special guests. For example;

The ship kept hitting those bumps in the water when we were getting some shut eye. The Captain should have steered into the wave troughs during sleep then got back on course when we were awake. We let corporate know that for next time. Simple retraining.

Food service came without a server and assistant to the suite. They must send the linen and silver serving, then the servers with a runner to keep food hot and served one course at a time. They even came without a crumb remover, seriously.

Ah Yes......you are special and deserve so much more than anyone else on any ship.:confused::rolleyes::cool:

Many want to judge others, and to me that's the rudest of all.

I've been abused for using a wheelchair to board and later seen walking. There is a huge difference between walking up the ramp to the ship (and having to stand still for long periods which causes me more pain than walking) and walking on the flat.

Ain't it the truth. I have a weird condition. Nothing physically wrong with me but my pain level is often the 10 level every day. My nervous system is getting even with me. I have something with changing initials, RSDS, RSD, it has new initials this year. Bottom line I can't walk more then a block, two at the most, without being in excruciating pain. Standing is also a killer for me. Wearing shoes. Yikes! My feet swell, they turn bright red, they turn bright white. They are super hot, they are super cold. I look fine. You might very well see me walking then a few hours later using my scooter or a wheelchair. Really good pain pills might be involved.

If I had to walk up two or three flights of stairs I would be crying like a baby. Would I do it? Maybe. Sometimes rather then listen to people b*tch I will just do it because of the rudeness of others.

My condition is something you can't see. My condition will only get worse. My condition is with me for the rest of my life. I will be on heavy naracotics for the rest of my life. Like Gut said, stop judging me because earlier you saw me walking and now I'm in a wheelchair.

Edited by notentirelynormal
  • Like 1

Ain't it the truth. I have a weird condition. Nothing physically wrong with me but my pain level is often the 10 level every day. My nervous system is getting even with me. I have something with changing initials, RSDS, RSD, it has new initials this year. Bottom line I can't walk more then a block, two at the most, without being in excruciating pain. Standing is also a killer for me. Wearing shoes. Yikes! My feet swell, they turn bright red, they turn bright white. They are super hot, they are super cold. I look fine. You might very well see me walking then a few hours later using my scooter or a wheelchair. Really good pain pills might be involved.

If I had to walk up two or three flights of stairs I would be crying like a baby. Would I do it? Maybe. Sometimes rather then listen to people b*tch I will just do it because of the rudeness of others.

My condition is something you can't see. My condition will only get worse. My condition is with me for the rest of my life. I will be on heavy naracotics for the rest of my life. Like Gut said, stop judging me because earlier you saw me walking and now I'm in a wheelchair.

Yep and even scientists and doctors don't fully understand pain, good luck with the narcotics, but take care, my opiate receptors are dead from so much pain medication and now basically none of the big guns work.

Been on them all morohine, oxycodone, fentynl, basically if they made a narcotic I've been on it, and at high doses, but now it's like swallowing m&ms no effect at all.

At work I have a reputation for being cranky. Probably because I have a very low tolerance for "stupid". Honestly, some days it seems I'm drowning in it.

On a cruise or any vacation for that matter I am such a different person. So much of the things being talked about here go right over my head. Guess you could say when I'm on vacation I'm my own brand of stupid. Sort of, LaDiDaDiDa, isn't life wonderful?

Don't know if it's the sudden cessation of work-related stress, something more "magical" or just being "upon the sea" but I really can't see getting my panties in a twist over most things. There are just so many other options to being mad or annoyed.

Of course, it could just be I've never been pushed that far. Or, at the very least, I didn't notice.

At work I have a reputation for being cranky. Probably because I have a very low tolerance for "stupid". Honestly, some days it seems I'm drowning in it.

On a cruise or any vacation for that matter I am such a different person. So much of the things being talked about here go right over my head. Guess you could say when I'm on vacation I'm my own brand of stupid. Sort of, LaDiDaDiDa, isn't life wonderful?

Don't know if it's the sudden cessation of work-related stress, something more "magical" or just being "upon the sea" but I really can't see getting my panties in a twist over most things. There are just so many other options to being mad or annoyed.

Of course, it could just be I've never been pushed that far. Or, at the very least, I didn't notice.

You must be my twin. I am not at work....not cooking.....not cleaning.....not driving in traffic.

It's all good to be sweatin' over if my meal.in the MDR lasted too long:rolleyes:

Don't think it is just North Americans who have lost their manners and think only of themselves. I travel extensively and there are folks from all over the world on my trips and cruises and I can tell you that many from England, Ireland, Japan, France, Norway, India, China, Italy, etc. have all lost a lot of their manners and think only of themselves. I wish folks would be more accepting of others and other's cultures and less rude and look in the mirror at their manners before accusing others of not having them, but unfortunately it has pretty much become a "me" world we live in.

]am American so when I look in the mirfrror, I see North American. :rolleyes:

[/i]

Edited by sail7seas

You must be my twin. I am not at work....not cooking.....not cleaning.....not driving in traffic.

It's all good to be sweatin' over if my meal.in the MDR lasted too long:rolleyes:

We're triplets! I have a low tolerance for stupid, and my current workplace is overflowing with stupid. I have to run and hide to scream sometimes!

I have a low tolerance on cruise ships for people who hold up lines because they either arrive unprepared for security, stop and stare at every item on the buffet line, holding up everyone else (a hint - do a "pass" through the buffet behind the serving line, check out what you want ahead so you can go through quickly).

We're triplets! I have a low tolerance for stupid, and my current workplace is overflowing with stupid. I have to run and hide to scream sometimes!

I have a low tolerance on cruise ships for people who hold up lines because they either arrive unprepared for security, stop and stare at every item on the buffet line, holding up everyone else (a hint - do a "pass" through the buffet behind the serving line, check out what you want ahead so you can go through quickly).

Amen Sista!

Yes there are many JUDGMENTAL people in this world of ours. Many, many, many.

And here is my days entertainment, going back and reading 600 posts, will I be surprised, NO, will just strengthen my resolve, attitude, and view of the world in general.

Treat others as you would like to be treated, and Karma is a sweet and wonderful thing.:):):)

Yes there are many JUDGMENTAL people in this world of ours. Many, many, many.

And here is my days entertainment, going back and reading 600 posts, will I be surprised, NO, will just strengthen my resolve, attitude, and view of the world in general.

Treat others as you would like to be treated, and Karma is a sweet and wonderful thing.:):):)

Good post.:D

Booking traditional dining and then going to MTD every night, without notifying the dining room. One or two people are seated at each big table, but staff cannot combine them because Mr. and Mrs. X and Y are booked there, and their spots have to be kept for them.

Booking traditional dining and then going to MTD every night, without notifying the dining room. One or two people are seated at each big table, but staff cannot combine them because Mr. and Mrs. X and Y are booked there, and their spots have to be kept for them.
When I cruise on a line with fixed dining, I usually ask my tablemates if they would let everyone know if they won't be at dinner the next night, so that if too many are not there, the others can make other arrangements instead of sitting at a large table with only a few.

When I cruise on a line with fixed dining, I usually ask my tablemates if they would let everyone know if they won't be at dinner the next night, so that if too many are not there, the others can make other arrangements instead of sitting at a large table with only a few.

One call or stop to mdr and let maitre dei know you are not showing up will suffice. I will not hunt down tablemates that are strangers and let "everyone" know. My dinner plans could change on a dime dependant on who I have met or what the day has been like.

I will let my tablemates know if I have reservations somewhere else the next night but will not go thru my whole itinerary.

Going to MTD if one has booked traditional is an example of gross rudeness. If one has booked traditional, stay there and stay out of the MTD dining room. If I walked into the traditional dining room with a bunch of my friends and sat down at a table in the traditional dining room, would the people who expected to sit at that table like it.

DON

It is a rudeness not to let your table mates know if you are not going to be at dinner but if you do not know them sufficiently, then letting the Maitre de know so that a message can be passed would be more than adequate. If you know in advance that you are likely to miss dinner, then letting them know at the table is even better.

Hm. For me, two things that I experienced that I'd consider rude.

1) QM2 - on departing from NY, we had the safety briefing. Everyone required to muster in their muster areas. Some clown in front kept adding comments to what the officer was saying, and I eventually lost my temper and said, "Oy, shut the f*** up - I want to hear the briefing, not a smartass!" Herself looked mortified and later took me to task. Okay, so the f-bomb wasn't necessary. The idiot didn't say a word after that, though.

2) First formal night onboard in the Brittania dining room, I'm wearing my mess kit. Someone at the table next to ours (two 6-pers tables side by side) recognized my rank insignia and commented that enlisted men are being paid too much if we can afford to go on cruises. This one I had no answer for. I mean, what do you say to something like that? We're not allowed to save up and enjoy a cruise?

Edited by Jackytar

Hm. For me, two things that I experienced that I'd consider rude.

1) QM2 - on departing from NY, we had the safety briefing. Everyone required to muster in their muster areas. Some clown in front kept adding comments to what the officer was saying, and I eventually lost my temper and said, "Oy, shut the f*** up - I want to hear the briefing, not a smartass!" Herself looked mortified and later took me to task. Okay, so the f-bomb wasn't necessary. The idiot didn't say a word after that, though.

2) First formal night onboard in the Brittania dining room, I'm wearing my mess kit. Someone at the table next to ours (two 6-pers tables side by side) recognized my rank insignia and commented that enlisted men are being paid too much if we can afford to go on cruises. This one I had no answer for. I mean, what do you say to something like that? We're not allowed to save up and enjoy a cruise?

How about something like "I inherited millions of pounds, but still serve my country. What do you do?"