Cruise Etiquette: What have passengers done onboard your cruise that was rude?

AwfuA

Hm. For me, two things that I experienced that I'd consider rude.

1) QM2 - on departing from NY, we had the safety briefing. Everyone required to muster in their muster areas. Some clown in front kept adding comments to what the officer was saying, and I eventually lost my temper and said, "Oy, shut the f*** up - I want to hear the briefing, not a smartass!" Herself looked mortified and later took me to task. Okay, so the f-bomb wasn't necessary. The idiot didn't say a word after that, though.

2) First formal night onboard in the Brittania dining room, I'm wearing my mess kit. Someone at the table next to ours (two 6-pers tables side by side) recognized my rank insignia and commented that enlisted men are being paid too much if we can afford to go on cruises. This one I had no answer for. I mean, what do you say to something like that? We're not allowed to save up and enjoy a cruise?

Rude doesn't start to fedscribe that. Iggnorant might be more like it !@! :( Awful. What a jerk. Wonder what he did to serve his country?

Hmmm...I hope I haven't been doing something all these years that would be considered rude. On sea days, my modus operandi is to get up early, gather my breakfast and coffee, then plant myself at one of the small outdoor tables behind the chaises next to the lido pool. I like this location because it's shady and I won't fry like I would if I laid on a chaise in the sun all day, I can watch the water go by (my favorite pastime), and be close to the pool to take a dip if I get too hot. I typically spend all day at that table reading, eating, staring at the water, eating, watching the activity around the pool, eating :D, etc. My husband and son will come by frequently to eat or talk in between trips to the pool, slide, mini golf, and whatever else they're doing.

Since it's a table by the pool and not in a restaurant, would this be any different than using a chaise all day?

Hmmm...I hope I haven't been doing something all these years that would be considered rude. On sea days, my modus operandi is to get up early, gather my breakfast and coffee, then plant myself at one of the small outdoor tables behind the chaises next to the lido pool. I like this location because it's shady and I won't fry like I would if I laid on a chaise in the sun all day, I can watch the water go by (my favorite pastime), and be close to the pool to take a dip if I get too hot. I typically spend all day at that table reading, eating, staring at the water, eating, watching the activity around the pool, eating :D, etc. My husband and son will come by frequently to eat or talk in between trips to the pool, slide, mini golf, and whatever else they're doing.

Since it's a table by the pool and not in a restaurant, would this be any different than using a chaise all day?

Not rude at all. Enjoy your day reading, eating, dipping, etc.

Not rude at all! It only becomes rude if you stake out your table early, then don't return to use it until hours have passed. And using a chaise all day is also OK, providing it's actually being used. Not just being held with a towel and paperback for hours on end.

Not rude at all. Enjoy your day reading, eating, dipping, etc.

Not rude at all! It only becomes rude if you stake out your table early, then don't return to use it until hours have passed. And using a chaise all day is also OK, providing it's actually being used. Not just being held with a towel and paperback for hours on end.

Whew! I definitely don't wander off for more than a few minutes to get a snack or dip in the pool. My butt is usually so firmly planted in the chair that DS has told me I'm going to grow roots. :p I will continue to enjoy my sea days, happy and guilt-free!

I am sure most of us have seen this scenario at least once or twice.:(

No did I hever see it wretten

Yes, it is quite edifferent, IMO.

I don't see anything wrong withewhat you describe here. Where is it carved in in stone, one must not eat their b reak fast at t those tables? I never saw that monument Nor have I ever seen the sign that says you are limitedto how long you may sit at those tables or what hou must be doing while sitting there?

Edited by sail7seas

AwfuA

Rude doesn't start to fedscribe that. Iggnorant might be more like it !@! :( Awful. What a jerk. Wonder what he did to serve his country?

As I said, I was kind of taken aback. Plus, if I let anther f-bomb go, I'd likely have been sleeping in the flats, not in our cabin. :)

My favorite is a towel and one shoe, with no sign of the other shoe. Does the shoe putter downer think we believe that there is someone out there walking around with one shoe?

Well possibly if they had a peg leg. BTW, if it happened today (19 Sept) it would almost be appropriate as it is International Day of talk like a Pirate. Argghh https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Talk_Like_a_Pirate_Day

Hm. For me, two things that I experienced that I'd consider rude.

1) QM2 - on departing from NY, we had the safety briefing. Everyone required to muster in their muster areas. Some clown in front kept adding comments to what the officer was saying, and I eventually lost my temper and said, "Oy, shut the f*** up - I want to hear the briefing, not a smartass!" Herself looked mortified and later took me to task. Okay, so the f-bomb wasn't necessary. The idiot didn't say a word after that, though.

2) First formal night onboard in the Brittania dining room, I'm wearing my mess kit. Someone at the table next to ours (two 6-pers tables side by side) recognized my rank insignia and commented that enlisted men are being paid too much if we can afford to go on cruises. This one I had no answer for. I mean, what do you say to something like that? We're not allowed to save up and enjoy a cruise?

Nay something like, I couldn't afford it, but the government could, just for me.

Nothing like giving KARMA a gentle hand.

Smile sit back, and watch the implosion, maybe a stress related heart attack could ensue, which of course you would first to lend a helping hand with a leg splint or maybe a field dressing,lol.;);):)

My favorite is a towel and one shoe, with no sign of the other shoe. Does the shoe putter downer think we believe that there is someone out there walking around with one shoe?

If you had looked around, you would have found the other shoe with a towel saving another lounge chair two chairs over.

Bob

If you had looked around, you would have found the other shoe with a towel saving another lounge chair two chairs over.

Bob

I used to ignore the fact that there were towels on all the chairs when I went for breakfast. Since it is not a thing I would ever consider doing it didn't occur to me what it was.

Now that I know, the imp in me says "take them, take them". I think I just might next time.

I used to ignore the fact that there were towels on all the chairs when I went for breakfast. Since it is not a thing I would ever consider doing it didn't occur to me what it was.

Now that I know, the imp in me says "take them, take them". I think I just might next time.

Don't forget to grab any reading material for later that day as well.:p

• 3 months later...

Carnival Vista, yesterday. Woke up early and went with my dad to the top floor to drop off a towel and a bag on one of the large sun loungers. He put his on another chair elsewhere. The chair I had sat in for at least five hours the previous day had a hat and two towel animals in it, so I took the one next to it. We went to get caffeine from the lido deck and it started raining. I went back to check my bag (had some electronics) but it was in a covered spot so I wasn't too worried. I now noticed a sudoku book shoved in the corner of the chair (remember these are maybe 3-4 feet in diameter). Apparently I had missed it earlier; a towel would have been easier to spot. I lied down and closed my eyes, then got up to get a second towel once the crew made them available. Half hour or so goes by, rain has stopped. Old man kicks my leg and starts accusing me of "moving his ****" and acted extremely rude. He had the hat and towels from the adjacent chair, but also the book on my chair. He couldn't find the rest of his belongings (either reserving a third chair or someone kindly had moved his other paperback out of the rain for him, or hadn't noticed it like me. I pointed to the sudoku book and offered no indication that I would be getting up so that he could have two chairs,. He kept swearing about "people moving my ****". A while later his wife arrived and I told her "I moved nothing." Another chair over they had the other book and gave it to her. He started complaining about me to his wife, saying how he'd be moving my **** like how I moved his **** as soon as I got up for a drink of water. Sitting there listening to his complaints was ruining my morning but I lied there until I had to go to the bathroom. I put my shoes on and started to walk away and he started yelling to me "Hey come get your **** or I'll move it." I told him I was just going to the bathroom but he didn't care; this was his chair. I grabbed my bag and told him I would be moving just so that I wouldn't have to deal with him. Nothing but polite concise statements, as my throat was sore and voice was hoarse. He couldn't conceive that I had not moved or touched his belongings, so it was fair to threaten to move my stuff. I walked to the other side where my dad had his chair and dropped my stuff off there and got in the hot tub with my parents and another man and told them what had happened.

Short version: I lie in a chair for a half an hour and a guy thinks he reserved 2-3 large sun loungers meant for 2-3 people each with two books and a hat, then swears and accuses me repeatedly of moving his belongings when he can't find them, ultimately forcing me to move despite having no real need for my chair besides reserving it for his friends who hadn't yet arrived.

Edited by someone92636

Carnival Vista, yesterday. Woke up early and went with my dad to the top floor to drop off a towel and a bag on one of the large sun loungers. He put his on another chair elsewhere. The chair I had sat in for at least five hours the previous day had a hat and two towel animals in it, so I took the one next to it. We went to get caffeine from the lido deck and it started raining. I went back to check my bag (had some electronics) but it was in a covered spot so I wasn't too worried. I now noticed a sudoku book shoved in the corner of the chair (remember these are maybe 3-4 feet in diameter). Apparently I had missed it earlier; a towel would have been easier to spot. I lied down and closed my eyes, then got up to get a second towel once the crew made them available. Half hour or so goes by, rain has stopped. Old man kicks my leg and starts accusing me of "moving his ****" and acted extremely rude. He had the hat and towels from the adjacent chair, but also the book on my chair. He couldn't find the rest of his belongings (either reserving a third chair or someone kindly had moved his other paperback out of the rain for him, or hadn't noticed it like me. I pointed to the sudoku book and offered no indication that I would be getting up so that he could have two chairs,. He kept swearing about "people moving my ****". A while later his wife arrived and I told her "I moved nothing." Another chair over they had the other book and gave it to her. He started complaining about me to his wife, saying how he'd be moving my **** like how I moved his **** as soon as I got up for a drink of water. Sitting there listening to his complaints was ruining my morning but I lied there until I had to go to the bathroom. I put my shoes on and started to walk away and he started yelling to me "Hey come get your **** or I'll move it." I told him I was just going to the bathroom but he didn't care; this was his chair. I grabbed my bag and told him I would be moving just so that I wouldn't have to deal with him. Nothing but polite concise statements, as my throat was sore and voice was hoarse. He couldn't conceive that I had not moved or touched his belongings, so it was fair to threaten to move my stuff. I walked to the other side where my dad had his chair and dropped my stuff off there and got in the hot tub with my parents and another man and told them what had happened.

Short version: I lie in a chair for a half an hour and a guy thinks he reserved 2-3 large sun loungers meant for 2-3 people each with two books and a hat, then swears and accuses me repeatedly of moving his belongings when he can't find them, ultimately forcing me to move despite having no real need for my chair besides reserving it for his friends who hadn't yet arrived.

Welcome to cruise critic and the world of cruising &!$£s.

My last 2 cruises on the Grandeur I encountered some pretty rude and DISGUSTING behavior.

One was a bit (a good bit) more disgusting. Both involved the public restrooms.

The Oct., cruise was the worst of the two. It looked as though someone held their butt above the seat and left a trail on either side of the toilet seat. The bowl was full of nothing but toilet tissue, as was the floor.

Some have suggested that maybe the person had diarrhea. Well I say, if that's the case they had it under control, seeing how they left two 'nice' trails, on the seat. I saw no evidence of a 'blowout', and what would be the excuse for not flushing, or the paper on the floor, or no attempt to clean it up? PIG!!!

On the Nov., cruise the person at least put it where it is supposed to go, ... in the toilet. They just left it for the next person to enjoy. How hard is it to flush? Another PIG!!!

I try very hard NOT to use the public restrooms, but sometimes, you just have to.

Some here would say you are a chair hog.

I'm confused Gut2407 the poster was on the chair, it was the guy who wasn't. The guy was the chair hog not someone92636.

On my last cruise in Oct. my two son's and I went to breakfast. It was busy so we said we would sit with others. We are from Canada. We got to the table and there were 2 ladies from Florida. We introduced ourselves and were making small talk when another couple were seated. They were either from Georgia or South Carolina. All of a sudden the four of them started talking together (my son's and I were in between them) and were saying really horrible things. The racist comments, the ridicule and the hate made the three of us really uncomfortable. We remained quiet because we had already been treated to the reaction from another person when we made a comment and asked them if we could talk about something else. Then they started going on about Canada and making really horrible remarks about our Country. We had had enough and left. I didn't even get to finish my breakfast but by that time i didn't feel at all hungry.

tigercat

Some here would say you are a chair hog.

Can't tell if you're mistaken or serious, but this was my first cruise and only negative experience during it. Sitting in a chair all day the previous day was easy because most people had gotten off at grand Turk instead of staying on the ship. I knew the sea day was going to be more difficult to find a spot, so I got there early. The other guy had the same idea: get there early, go get caffeine and come back. I got back far sooner than he did. If it's at all relative, I'd say what he did was far more unacceptable than anything I had done. I was actively using the chair, and he just wanted me to leave so he could hold it as a second chair for people who were not there. These chairs are big - once I moved to the spot my dad had dropped his stuff at, my sister and brother in law were also using it with us, so five people alternating on one chair. And I was at least civil about it.

Edited by someone92636

On my last cruise in Oct. my two son's and I went to breakfast. It was busy so we said we would sit with others. We are from Canada. We got to the table and there were 2 ladies from Florida. We introduced ourselves and were making small talk when another couple were seated. They were either from Georgia or South Carolina. All of a sudden the four of them started talking together (my son's and I were in between them) and were saying really horrible things. The racist comments, the ridicule and the hate made the three of us really uncomfortable. We remained quiet because we had already been treated to the reaction from another person when we made a comment and asked them if we could talk about something else. Then they started going on about Canada and making really horrible remarks about our Country. We had had enough and left. I didn't even get to finish my breakfast but by that time i didn't feel at all hungry.

tigercat

Sounds like they were jealous of Canada to me.

BTW, start building that wall.:p

Can't tell if you're mistaken or serious, but this was my first cruise and only negative experience during it. Sitting in a chair all day the previous day was easy because most people had gotten off at grand Turk instead of staying on the ship. I knew the sea day was going to be more difficult to find a spot, so I got there early. The other guy had the same idea: get there early, go get caffeine and come back. I got back far sooner than he did. If it's at all relative, I'd say what he did was far more unacceptable than anything I had done. I was actively using the chair, and he just wanted me to leave so he could hold it as a second chair for people who were not there. These chairs are big - once I moved to the spot my dad had dropped his stuff at, my sister and brother in law were also using it with us, so five people alternating on one chair. And I was at least civil about it.

I agree, it was rude of him to be complaining to someone for using the chair even while another party wasn't there yet is ridiculous, which is exactly why I think the staff should monitor the situation, and take people's stuff away from chairs after the 20 minutes (or whatever the length of time is) that they specify.

I was on a cruise a few years ago and sitting in the shade (I'm from FL so have plenty of sun) I watched several people put towels, books, and other items on chairs by the pool and then walk off. About 5 minutes later we had a sudden rain storm and everything on those chairs were soaked, especially the books.

See, Mother Nature doesn't like chair hogs either.

Don.

The reason some may consider you a chair hog: you and your dad got up early to go put stuff on loungers and then left to go get coffee... To avoid the appearance of being a hog, one of you should have stayed with the loungers while the other went for coffee. If you just leave stuff on the loungers and leave early in the AM, no one knows when you are coming back, hence the hog attribution.

I was on a cruise a few years ago and sitting in the shade (I'm from FL so have plenty of sun) I watched several people put towels, books, and other items on chairs by the pool and then walk off. About 5 minutes later we had a sudden rain storm and everything on those chairs were soaked, especially the books.

See, Mother Nature doesn't like chair hogs either.

Don.

Karma, or irony.;)