Cruise port to Barcelona airport

Thinking and trying to plan TA cruise. What are our transportation options for getting to the airport from the cruise terminal in Barcelona? If we use a taxi we will need to pay in Euros? How does one get Euros after getting off the ship? Are there ATM machines around or will the ship be able to provide us with Euros? Thanks everyone for your help.

Quickest way is taxi. The process for each cruise line is different, but you should be able to get euros on the ship. You can also get Euros from your bank before you leave.

Agree...We had Euros purchased from our B of A to use for our taxi in Barcelona...from the port to BCN it should be approx 35 Euros.

Agree...We had Euros purchased from our B of A to use for our taxi in Barcelona...from the port to BCN it should be approx 35 Euros.

Apologies for thread jacking, but, could you offer your experience obtaining a taxi? Some have said to 'reserve' your taxi prior (not sure about that) and also how long of a ride is it from port to BCN? We have a 6am disembark and a 1045 flight tentatively planned. Is that reasonably enough time to make it?

Sorry again. I hope the information is germane to the initial post and will help OP out as well.

Brig

We would add that it is also very easy to get Euros out of nearly any ATM in any EU country that is on the Euro :). And yes, there are plenty of ATMs in Barcelona's airport. Just notify your card issuing bank about your trip (with itinerary) and also do this with your major credit cards. For an ATM/Debit card you should have a 4 digit Pin (6 digit Pins can possibly be problematic) and know that Pin in numbers (there are no letters on most Euro ATM machines).

Hank

Apologies for thread jacking, but, could you offer your experience obtaining a taxi? Some have said to 'reserve' your taxi prior (not sure about that) and also how long of a ride is it from port to BCN? We have a 6am disembark and a 1045 flight tentatively planned. Is that reasonably enough time to make it?

Sorry again. I hope the information is germane to the initial post and will help OP out as well.

Brig

No need to pre-arrange a taxi many are lined up and waiting but remember to move quickly as there will probably be a line for the taxi's....

Go with what your particular cruise line suggest for a disembarkation time frame based on your departure flight..Remember delays can happen when docking, customs etc.

It can take approx 30+ min to get from port-BCN but this can vary depending on traffic.

Also if it's an international flight you should check in approx 2-3 hours prior.

BTW: have Euros with you now won't be the time for looking for an ATM at the port.

Best of luck and enjoy.

Edited by Ashland

We got our Euros in advance. too. It was just one more thing we did not have to do. Also, I was able to wear most of the euros and I felt safe from any pickpockets that way. [some on our roll call had issues and one passenger had stolen an entire carry on tote with all of her electronics, cameras and most of her money].

A taxi is easy and pretty inexpensive. You might find another couple ready to go to the airport and share. This would depend on the size and amount of luggage you have.

Brig

There was a long line of taxis right outside the terminal.

No need to pre-arrange a taxi many are lined up and waiting but remember to move quickly as there will probably be a line for the taxi's....

Go with what your particular cruise line suggest for a disembarkation time frame based on your departure flight..Remember delays can happen when docking, customs etc.

It can take approx 30+ min to get from port-BCN but this can vary depending on traffic.

Also if it's an international flight you should check in approx 2-3 hours prior.

BTW: have Euros with you now won't be the time for looking for an ATM at the port.

Best of luck and enjoy.

Thank you Ashland. I noticed after reviewing a couple of pages in this sub-forum that this is brought up quite often. I apologize for the redux.

Brig

Edited by Brigbound

The queue for taxis can be long unless you leave the ship early. If you have an early flight,either leave the ship early or arrange for a car service.

We used Barcelona Day Tours for our group of six. Cost was 79 Euros for all six.

We are on a TA ending in Barcelona in April. Have been to Barcelona about 5 times.

We always get a taxi at the port, use euros we have purchased in advance of our trip, from B of A. Just purchased some yesterday, rate varies day to day, yesterday it was about 1.45 including banking fee.

Barcelona is a great city.

Since your flight is early, you need to get off the ship early for sure. Taxis are small, so you will not be able to share with another couple. Rate is about 35-40 euros, there are port fees and suitcase fees that would be included.

Another option is to stay 1-2 days in Barcelona, that is what we usually do.

We still get off the ship early, then we have a full day to enjoy the city, after checking in at our hotel. We generally stay out at the airport, so on the day of our flight it is very easy to make an early morning flight.

There is an airporter bus one can take back and forth to the city center to explore Barcelona.

Barcelona is one of the easiest ports to go in and out of on a TA.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are ending our cruise in Barcelona this fall. We are a group of 8 and are planning to book a transfer service. For those who have done that, how do you set a time for pick-up? I've had experiences where we are much later getting off than planned;) I'm assuming keeping in contact by phone is an option. Thanks

Brenda:)

• 1 month later...
Taxis are small, so you will not be able to share with another couple. .

Just need to point out - in case someone is reading this and wants to share a taxi or is travelling with a larger group - although most of the taxis are regular cars they do have larger taxis for bigger groups. Just tell the despatcher at the front of the line and he will sort one out.

And even the regular taxis are not that small, we travelled as a family of four adults, each with a suitcase and a hand luggage case, in one of the regular taxis.

We plan to stay 2 nights post cruise in BCN. How much is the airporter bus you mentioned? How long is the ride to the city?

Post cruise, just take a cab to your hotel. If your hotel is near Las Ramblas you are near the port. No buses serve the port.

When you return to the airport, to take the Aerobus, you need to get to one of the stops and the ride is about 30 min. This site will help you. If you are not near/walking distance to the Cat. Square, I'd just cab it.

http://www.aerobusbcn.com/

Edited by eandj

• 4 weeks later...
Is the taxi line for just outside the port or do you need to take one of the port transfer busses to get the taxi?

There will be taxis (lots of them) right outside the cruise terminal. If you are taking a taxi you do not need the shuttle bus.

There will be taxis (lots of them) right outside the cruise terminal. If you are taking a taxi you do not need the shuttle bus.

Thanks for the info. Now I can relax. We have an 11:10 flight and can do early walk off and go.

Post cruise, just take a cab to your hotel. If your hotel is near Las Ramblas you are near the port. No buses serve the port.

When you return to the airport, to take the Aerobus, you need to get to one of the stops and the ride is about 30 min. This site will help you. If you are not near/walking distance to the Cat. Square, I'd just cab it.

http://www.aerobusbcn.com/

Not quite true; the Blue (port) Bus serves every A, B, C and D terminal in a loop from the Columbus Monument for a small fee. :) The other (smaller) terminals are within shorter distance and very walkable to the Columbus Monument.

From there, the port end of the Rambla you can ride the HOHO to anywhere or take the metro at Drassanes stop on the green L3 line or walk up the Rambla towards Plaça Catalunya (an Aerobus stop) in about 18-20 minutes.

See http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-cruise-port.html for a lot of info.

A non-reserved taxi from the line at the port to the airport (be sure to check your airport Terminal number since they are apart) should be around 25-30 Euro's excl. fee and tip.

A non-reserved taxi from the line at the port to the airport (be sure to check your airport Terminal number since they are apart) should be around 25-30 Euro's excl. fee and tip.

I think it will be more like 30-35 euros + tip. There is a 4.2 surcharge for a taxi that leaves the port and the same surcharge to enter the airport. So, it would be the fare + 8.4 euro. Also, there is a surcharge for a taxi before 8 am. [some of you have mentioned leaving the ship early--so, this may add to your fee.]

We stayed at a B & B a block from the entrance to the port. Our taxi from the airport was 28 euro + tip. This only had the one surcharge.

Here is a listing of fees.

untitled_zpsde717cfb.jpg

Not quite true; the Blue (port) Bus serves every A, B, C and D terminal in a loop from the Columbus Monument for a small fee. :) The other (smaller) terminals are within shorter distance and very walkable to the Columbus Monument.

From there, the port end of the Rambla you can ride the HOHO to anywhere or take the metro at Drassanes stop on the green L3 line or walk up the Rambla towards Plaça Catalunya (an Aerobus stop) in about 18-20 minutes.

See http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-cruise-port.html for a lot of info.

All correct. I was answering /referring to the GREAT aerobus service to/from the airport. The Las Ramblas area stop is at Cat. Square. Very convenient to many hotels in a couple blocks of there.

To carry luggage on any other bus for a local ride to a hotel would be tough for most. And we all know dragging bags up/down Las Ramblas is challenging in more ways. Of course...I know the size and weight of my luggage. argh

Edited by eandj

All correct. I was answering /referring to the GREAT aerobus service to/from the airport. The Las Ramblas area stop is at Cat. Square. Very convenient to many hotels in a couple blocks of there.

To carry luggage on any other bus for a local ride to a hotel would be tough for most. And we all know dragging bags up/down Las Ramblas is challenging in more ways. Of course...I know the size and weight of my luggage. argh

Haha so true! We've done it a few times, still young and one suitcase each.. But I do regret buying a 24pack of Coca Cola cans at the end of the Rambla and hauling it on top of my suitcase (luckily a 4 wheel spinner) the short walk to the Port Bus stop and to the terminal.. :D :D

The Aerobus is great, getting on at the airport in a breeze (literally with the airco on!) and when you sit down after a cramped flight you know it's almost vacation time!