Carnivalization of Celebrity??

Seapoint

I was at the CC meeting and I thought there was maybe 30 people attending and maybe 6-8 made comments regarding the music. It was not all negative on things talked about but the music issue definitely was the main concern. Alexander just inserted his foot in his mouth a couple times but his boss Julian took over and explained more. Julian was definitely more political and tried to appease everyone's concerns although he said you will never hear harp or violin music especially on a Caribbean itinerary. We talked to Julian afterwards, and Celebrity, I think and hope, will take all concerns and hopefully please all ages.

I still have to say it was a very enjoyable cruise and would hope people would not cancel because of some comments.

Debbie

This will all be put to rest when Celebrity comes back with a definitive answer as to what direction they are taking, and how the sound level dovetails into that.

I was hoping that their silence was due to the weekend, and I'm beyond disappointed that they do not think this worthy enough to respond.

I've got the "bones" in place to cancel and change our cruise out of Bayonne (hotel reservations instead in New York, info about changing our flights) - just tell us!

You might as well go on and cancel, they will not broach the subject here. An internet chat room is not a preferred form of Corporate communication. Coming by and commenting is one thing, posting any Corporate policy concept that could affect over 1,000,000 customers will not happen on Cruise Critic, Trip Advisor, Family Vacation, or You Tube.

Sailor,

Just have a great cruise. :)

But of course. I know, I'll just put my hands over my ears, elbows extended into the air, and look around at everyone confused. Get a little trend started, see if people follows along ;)

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

It sounds like this Celebrity thread is a bit touchy... First I get slammed for agreeing too much with the OP, now not enough. No wonder Celebrity is having trouble appeasing you guys ;)

I came on here to explain, as a 30-something year old, which direction I would like to see Celebrity go. My opinion of the noise level would be subjective at best, and I wasn't even there...

I'm also in my 30s and I'll give a certain opinion of mine. The music volume in the Martini Bar on Constellation was ridiculous and unbearable. It was so uncomfortably loud, I don't know how the others were able to stand it. What was my favorite bar on Millennium last summer was my least favorite on Constellation.

I'm also in my 30s and I'll give a certain opinion of mine. The music volume in the Martini Bar on Constellation was ridiculous and unbearable. It was so uncomfortably loud, I don't know how the others were able to stand it. What was my favorite bar on Millennium last summer was my least favorite on Constellation.

I'm just off the Navigator of the Seas, and the only place they were playing "loud" music was at the stern of the ship with the flow rider. It was not uncomfortably loud. Carnival was not uncomfortably loud. If this is truly how they plan to attract 30 year olds, I'm going to call it ill informed and lazy.

I'm just off the Navigator of the Seas, and the only place they were playing "loud" music was at the stern of the ship with the flow rider. It was not uncomfortably loud. Carnival was not uncomfortably loud. If this is truly how they plan to attract 30 year olds, I'm going to call it ill informed and lazy.

All I can say is we were on the infinity to Alaska and it was the best cruise ever! There was a harpist at the cova cafe and a quartet in the main dining room. Beautiful, elegant and classy! The year was 2001.

The Equinox last year

Had completely different entertainment. Jazz quartet, a really good band that played in the atrium, and martini bar music, loud, but not overly loud. We had no problem carrying on a conversation that I recall, or maybe I was drunk and DON'T recall the extreme loudness? A Capella guys too, but nobody seemed as interested in them

As they were the party band

I liked the a Capella guys though

We didn't have a DJ though

Edited by 4cats4me

I was on the 2/21/14 sailing and have already addressed the music issue (#134) in this thread. I did attend the CC M&M and it was my impression that for the majority present, the volume of the music seemed to be of the utmost concern. One of the officers stated that the type of music and volume would most likely be the standard in the Caribbean, but not in Europe. (!) For this cruise I was disappointed that Celebrity eliminated choices. No longer are there options for everyone. For anyone looking to partner dance, forget it.

I was on the 2/21/14 sailing and have already addressed the music issue (#134) in this thread. I did attend the CC M&M and it was my impression that for the majority present, the volume of the music seemed to be of the utmost concern. One of the officers stated that the type of music and volume would most likely be the standard in the Caribbean, but not in Europe. (!) For this cruise I was disappointed that Celebrity eliminated choices. No longer are there options for everyone. For anyone looking to partner dance, forget it.

I wasn't there, but that won't stop me from saying you're most likely in a small minority of people who did not like the volume levels. Actually, if all 3214 people on board emailed me saying the same thing, I'd still think it was a statistical anomaly as in my world no such thing is possible.

The preceding message was brought to you from the Sarcasm Society of South Florida. Ok, it's late and if it was that loud I'm hoping it will be addressed.

On the 2/21/14 sailing of Celebrity Reflection, I felt that, with the exception of the jazz duo, not only the entertainment in the lounges and the Atrium, but also the entertainment in the theater did not measure up to Celebrity's usual high standard.

On another note: in Celebrity Central, which is a 200 seat venue, there was a comedy show 3 or 4 of the 7 nights. This was always full and people had to line up about an hour prior to the 11 P.M. showtime in order to be assured a seat. Why, when this event is so popular, as it seems to be on the previous cruises as well, does not Celebrity hold this show in the main theater a couple times each cruise? If only 600 - 800 persons on a ship of 3000 passengers are able to see this show, there are many who are left out!

This will all be put to rest when Celebrity comes back with a definitive answer as to what direction they are taking, and how the sound level dovetails into that.

Good luck with that. For Celebrity to flat out say "this is the demographic we are seeking" or anything even remotely "definitive" would likely be shooting themselves in the foot. People will take what they say and misinterpret it 100 different ways. For ex., if X said yes, we are trying to appeal to younger cruisers, some will make up their minds that that is synonymous with "we don't like old people" and "we don't care about our existing older clientele" and "we are going to change everything" etc. Then they will actively look for nitpicky things that "prove" their point...I can envision something like this: "See? apples on the Sky Suite fruit plate. They should know folks with dentures can't bite into an apple, obviously they're changing everything because all they care about now are the 30 year olds!" Meanwhile if X said nothing, those people might not notice that anything had actually changed besides music volume in the atrium at night.

You might as well go on and cancel, they will not broach the subject here. An internet chat room is not a preferred form of Corporate communication. Coming by and commenting is one thing, posting any Corporate policy concept that could affect over 1,000,000 customers will not happen on Cruise Critic, Trip Advisor, Family Vacation, or You Tube.

Exactly.

Good luck with that. For Celebrity to flat out say "this is the demographic we are seeking" or anything even remotely "definitive" would likely be shooting themselves in the foot. People will take what they say and misinterpret it 100 different ways. For ex., if X said yes, we are trying to appeal to younger cruisers, some will make up their minds that that is synonymous with "we don't like old people" and "we don't care about our existing older clientele" and "we are going to change everything" etc. Then they will actively look for nitpicky things that "prove" their point...I can envision something like this: "See? apples on the Sky Suite fruit plate. They should know folks with dentures can't bite into an apple, obviously they're changing everything because all they care about now are the 30 year olds!" Meanwhile if X said nothing, those people might not notice that anything had actually changed besides music volume in the atrium at night.

Exactly.

Meg, I think you have put is well and simple. Time for us to focus on 6 ports and 4 sea days with a great group of Cruise Critic people. Is it time yet!:)

I do wish to confirm that what posters have said about the statements made during the CC M&M concerning Celebrity's desire to cater to a "different demographic" and loyal Celebrity cruisers not liking this could "find another cruise line" is absolutely true. The man to whom this statement was made had done many cruises with Celebrity and, in expressing his concerns, had chosen his words with care, so as not to bring offense or blame to anyone. In the face of what was actually said to him (I had been stunned by the actual comment made by Celebrity), I was amazed that he remained the gentleman he is. Celebrity must have realized the huge mistake made, for within hours of the meeting, Celebrity crew members packed him and his wife and moved them to one of Celebrity's nice suites. To me, this action shows an acknowledgement of error.

Celebrity has been my preferred cruiseline and I will continue for now to cruise with Celebrity, as I feel fortunate to be able to do any cruising at all. That being said, however, I do feel that it is essential for Celebrity to consider the comments of those who have taken the time to express their concerns and to re-evaluate the situation. Hopefully Celebrity will re-instate some of those things which were eliminated, and, therefore, will give back choices.

Edited by dansprite

Exactly.

Very well said - I think you are right on the money!

I was not talking about X addressing the demographic issue, but rather the more current music issue. Back on the "Hey Celebrity!" thread they said they were looking into that. I'm just disappointed that there have been no updates or any guidance at all. The Celebrity Cruises official poster is on-line right this very minute, presumably still reading all of these threads, although their last post was March 7 (ain't technology wonderful?).

And I guess they aren't going to get rid of me until after my next cruise...it's an itinerary I've always wanted to take, only 4 sea days out of 14, on an M class, so if we have to go to dinner and to back to our cabin to escape the din so be it. But things might have stabilized by then.

And if not, then I'll know and will look elsewhere after that.

No more complaints over "what might be" from me anymore. Not worth it.

Edited by warmwinds

I was not talking about X addressing the demographic issue, but rather the more current music issue. Back on the "Hey Celebrity!" thread they said they were looking into that. I'm just disappointed that there have been no updates or any guidance at all. The Celebrity Cruises official poster is on-line right this very minute, presumably still reading all of these threads, although their last post was March 7 (ain't technology wonderful?).

And I guess they aren't going to get rid of me until after my next cruise...it's an itinerary I've always wanted to take, only 4 sea days out of 14, on an M class, so if we have to go to dinner and to back to our cabin to escape the din so be it. But things might have stabilized by then.

And if not, then I'll know and will look elsewhere after that.

No more complaints over "what might be" from me anymore. Not worth it.

Celebrity is not going to change their policy in a day or a week or two weeks, because a few complained. The will investigate the issue and see if it is the majority who are complaining or the majority that is okay with the current policy and then base their decision on what their research has found and, more importantly, what they want to do. I'm sure they are reading these threads and see that one poster who is on the same cruise with others, feels that it is "ear splitting" loud, while the others don't have a problem with it.

I'm sure that for as many that are going to leave becaue of their policies, there will be just as many joining as a new customer.

I'm sorry that you might not continue to have the Celebrity experience, but if you are determined to leave, I would suggest you look into Crystal Cruises. I also cruise with them, althought they are a little too sedate for me, they are a great cruise line.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Hi all,

We want to ensure that everyone is enjoying the music on our ship, and we never want to have music that is too loud, or too low. We have looked into the issue, and we will make sure that the volume is corrected on all of our ships. This process may take a few days, but rest assured we have passed on your feedback and want to provide the best cruising experience for all of our guests.

Celebrity is not going to change their policy in a day or a week or two weeks, because a few complained. The will investigate the issue and see if it is the majority who are complaining or the majority that is okay with the current policy and then base their decision on what their research has found and, more importantly, what they want to do. I'm sure they are reading these threads and see that one poster who is on the same cruise with others, feels that it is "ear splitting" loud, while the others don't have a problem with it.

I'm sure that for as many that are going to leave becaue of their policies, there will be just as many joining as a new customer.

I'm sorry that you might not continue to have the Celebrity experience, but if you are determined to leave, I would suggest you look into Crystal Cruises. I also cruise with them, althought they are a little too sedate for me, they are a great cruise line.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

I guess some think that the Celebrity should stop everything that they're doing to handle this one so called issue. Some just can't let the due process happen. :rolleyes:

I wasn't there, but that won't stop me from saying you're most likely in a small minority of people who did not like the volume levels. Actually, if all 3214 people on board emailed me saying the same thing, I'd still think it was a statistical anomaly as in my world no such thing is possible.

The preceding message was brought to you from the Sarcasm Society of South Florida. Ok, it's late and if it was that loud I'm hoping it will be addressed.

LOL, I wasn't there, I have no idea if it was really loud(100db or more) or perception. But obviously some do.

Hi all,

We want to ensure that everyone is enjoying the music on our ship, and we never want to have music that is too loud, or too low. We have looked into the issue, and we will make sure that the volume is corrected on all of our ships. This process may take a few days, but rest assured we have passed on your feedback and want to provide the best cruising experience for all of our guests.

Thanks.....it is appreciated. So the ship will now control the volume? I

was told clearly from the CD it is "coming from HQ" and he had no

authority to change things.

I guess some think that the Celebrity should stop everything that they're doing to handle this one so called issue. Some just can't let the due process happen. :rolleyes:

They said they are looking into. They don't want it too low or too loud and will correct it on the ships. Doesn't say that they will lower the music and I'm sure some will continue to complain until there is only they type of music they like or no music at all.

Doesn't say that they will lower the music and I'm sure some will continue to complain until there is only they type of music they like or no music at all.

I have never complained about volume before and I'm sure most of the others haven't either.

Your weren't on the 2/22 sailing so you have no idea what the situation was. The people on our sailing haven't said this was happening on other ships (yet) but we are concerned that if will be based on Alexander's comments. Our "complaining" is to let Celebrity know our opinion. I'm sure they will be interested in your opinion of a cruise you have knowledge of.

I have never complained about volume before and I'm sure most of the others haven't either.

Your weren't on the 2/22 sailing so you have no idea what the situation was. The people on our sailing haven't said this was happening on other ships (yet) but we are concerned that if will be based on Alexander's comments. Our "complaining" is to let Celebrity know our opinion. I'm sure they will be interested in your opinion of a cruise you have knowledge of.

I agree completely, and thank Celebrity for acknowledging the concerns who were on that sailing. I am mid 40's and like many kinds of music including Metal that many others would not. Coincidentally I will be on Reflection in 2 weeks, and I'm sure it will be fantastic.

They said they are looking into. They don't want it too low or too loud and will correct it on the ships. Doesn't say that they will lower the music and I'm sure some will continue to complain until there is only they type of music they like or no music at all.

I agree. There will always be those who decide that if THEY don't like something, then everyone else is wrong and they will continue to complain.

I was on the 2/22 sailing. I really don't specifically recall the music being too loud, but I do understand that "too loud" is very subjective. Was it loud? Yes. But I've been on plenty of other cruises and can't say I found the music on this sailing significantly louder than on others. By the way, I'm talking about the atrium music, not the pool deck music, as I spend only 15 min on the pool deck the entire week. We were in the martini bar many evenings before dinner and while loud, we never found it so loud that we had to leave. The environment felt fun and alive.

As someone else said, for everyone who found it too loud, there are probably an equal number who thought it was fine. And for everyone who takes their toys and leaves this sandbox, there will probably be someone new coming onboard to take their place.

Hi all,

If Celebrity wishes to ensure that everyone is enjoying the music on their ships, why eliminate the strings and the usual dance music found in the Atrium? By eliminating choices, Celebrity is not accommodating everyone.

I've been reading complaints for some time on here, by the same posters, not only about the volume, but the type of music played. No, I wasn't on the 2/22 sailing, but others were who said the music was not too loud - it is just a difference of opinion. If you go back and look at what I have posted...I said neither those that said it was too loud are right or wrong nor are those that said it was just right. I am also concerned with Alexander's comments, but for a different reason. I thought his comments, if relayed correctly, were quite rude in their delivery and that is unacceptable, but you just assumed that the volume (you feel is too loud) was or will be happening on all the other ships without having any basis for your assumption. I have knowledge of all the cruises I was on and my opinion, as I stated, as well as others, was that the music was not too loud. You have ever right to your opinion, just as I and others have a right to ours.