Coffee on Silhouette

shofer

Just off Silhouette and it had been 7 years since I was last on Celebrity. I was pleasantly surprised to see brewed coffee in the Oceanview Cafe. Real coffee grounds placed in giant coffee makers which was quite good.

Not a coffee snob, I don't drink Starbucks, but this brew was a big step up from the concentrated sludge they used to have.

Sue

They switched from concentrate or something terribly awful to grounds or some sort of dry mix, depending on the ship and the machine used, about 5 years ago or longer.

I'm pretty picky about my coffee and in my opinion it is better than it was but still not acceptable. On a scale of 1 to 10, with anything 5 or above being acceptable, I feel it went from about a 1 or 2 before that change to about a 3 to 5 after the change. The range of 3 to five means that every now and then I think it is barely acceptable but usually not so. Quality does vary from time to time and venue to venue.

We thought the Silhouette (sailed in December 2012) was about the same as other ships in the fleet we've been on in the past few years.

Lately we've either brought Starbucks instant Via or bought coffee from the espresso coffee bar on the ship. The Via isn't great but it is far better than the regular coffee on board.

Years ago we brought a coffee maker on board but then they started listing these on the prohibited items list inbetween illegal drugs and weapons. For a while after that we brought a coffee press. The coffee press worked well but was a big pain to clean out since I didn't think it would be Ok to dump the grounds in the sink. After that we switched to the VIA or coffee bar.

Of course there are some cruisers around who have different tastes and feel the coffee on board is just fine. So everyone should try it and make their own decision.

Edited by Lsimon

They switched from concentrate or something terribly awful to grounds or some sort of dry mix, depending on the ship and the machine used, about 5 years ago or longer.

I'm pretty picky about my coffee and in my opinion it is better than it was but still not acceptable. On a scale of 1 to 10, with anything 5 or above being acceptable, I feel it went from about a 1 or 2 before that change to about a 3 to 5 after the change. The range of 3 to five means that every now and then I think it is barely acceptable but usually not so. Quality does vary from time to time and venue to venue.

We thought the Silhouette (sailed in December 2012) was about the same as other ships in the fleet we've been on in the past few years.

Lately we've either brought Starbucks instant Via or bought coffee from the espresso coffee bar on the ship. The Via isn't great but it is far better than the regular coffee on board.

Years ago we brought a coffee maker on board but then they started listing these on the prohibited items list inbetween illegal drugs and weapons. For a while after that we brought a coffee press. The coffee press worked well but was a big pain to clean out since I didn't think it would be Ok to dump the grounds in the sink. After that we switched to the VIA or coffee bar.

Of course there are some cruisers around who have different tastes and feel the coffee on board is just fine. So everyone should try it and make their own decision.

I also found the coffee on the Silhouette in January not good. Since we now get the Bev package, what a difference have coffee at the Cafe Al Bacci. Once you have the "good" brew, you cannot go back to the instant or syrup slop.

I am a starbucks coffee drinker and like strong brewed coffee.

I think the main problem with the coffee is the workers. On one cruise I seen a worker servicing a coffee machine. I wanted to see what brand of beans they were using and sen that the bag was decafe and he was pouring those beans into the regular side. I brought it to his attention and he just shrugged his shoulders and walked away. Now this wasn't really a problem but it may have been to some if he put regular beans on the decafe side.

I don't think that the machines are adjusted right or cleaned enough to make a good cup coffee.

🍸🍻🌅

Just when I had my hopes up:eek:

On our next two cruises we'll have the Classic package which includes coffee at the Cafe correct? I'm not a fan of specialty coffees so can I get just a plain black coffee there? Like I would order at Tim's at home?

Thanks,

Cathy

Just when I had my hopes up:eek:

On our next two cruises we'll have the Classic package which includes coffee at the Cafe correct? I'm not a fan of specialty coffees so can I get just a plain black coffee there? Like I would order at Tim's at home?

Thanks,

Cathy

They do not have brewed coffee at Cafe al Bacio but you can order an Americano - a shot of espresso in hot water. Pretty similar to ordering black coffee and tastes a lot better than the mediocre (at best) free coffee served on the ship. The classic package does cover Americanos.

LSimon is correct that Celebrity has been using ground coffee for quite a few years now in the free venues. Not the worst coffee I have ever had, but for me it is generally not all that good. I do enjoy Cafe al Bacio though.

They do not have brewed coffee at Cafe al Bacio but you can order an Americano - a shot of espresso in hot water. Pretty similar to ordering black coffee and tastes a lot better than the mediocre (at best) free coffee served on the ship. The classic package does cover Americanos.

LSimon is correct that Celebrity has been using ground coffee for quite a few years now in the free venues. Not the worst coffee I have ever had, but for me it is generally not all that good. I do enjoy Cafe al Bacio though.

Sounds like the Americano is the way to go for me, thanks Gonzo70!

Cathy

Overall the coffee is barely drinkable. It is worth trying the Aquaspa cafe to see if it's better. If you are an early riser I think you'll find the coffee better there than in the Oceanview.

For my next cruise we have the bev package and suspect we'll take care of our caffeine fix at Cafe Al Bacio

Does anyone know if they have decaf espresso at Cafe al Bacio? I try to avoid caffeine, but I love decaf lattes. Many places don't have it, so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Does anyone know if they have decaf espresso at Cafe al Bacio? I try to avoid caffeine, but I love decaf lattes. Many places don't have it, so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes they do