dogs on board

Camelia-

First off a poodle or any dog can become a service dog. But it is true they must go through many months of professional training and they should also have some retraining every few years.

Second these service dogs do not cruise for free. Each port requires documentation of some sort and some require money. Some places like Hawaii require your service dog to be checked by a vet when you arrive. It can be rather expensive for a disabled person to cruise with a service dog.Please be kind to those that are disabled. I won't wish that on anyone.

I do not get the sense that people have any issues with people who truly need Service Animals or Emotional Support Animals (these are the two classifications and it is much easier to have an animal classified as a ESA.)

It appears there is a growing concern, especially from people who have true disabilities and need specialized animals to enhance their lives, that people are abusing the system by having their pets classified as specially trained animals when they are not and taking them places they do not belong.

I am sure that we are going to see more and more animals on the cruise ships if this loop hole is not filled in some way. It only is really hurting those with true service animals IMHO.

Each port requires documentation of some sort and some require money. Some places like Hawaii require your service dog to be checked by a vet when you arrive. It can be rather expensive for a disabled person to cruise with a service dog.

Can we assume that anyone with a "service" dog that gets off the ship but leaves the "service" dog in the cabin probably is pretending that the dog is a true service dog?

The need for a true service dog does not evaporate just because the owner/partner is in a port.

As long as there are message boards stating how to get your pet designated as a service animal, these dogs are going to be viewed with suspicion, just like the low lying sports car or the humongously high SUV with the handicapped plates and young, apparently fit people getting in and out. The abusers may be making things tough for those genuinely in need....

My sister in law drove an expensive sports car. I don't remember the name but you know the kind, low, long and sleek. She was around 30 YO. She'd pull into the handicap spot and get out of the car to be met with strangers berating her for abusing the handicap parking. She held her tongue better than I would have. She had cancer in 3 areas including her brain and legs. Sure her hair looked great. Her wig covered her bald head. Of course she walked with spunk. She was on a morphine drip (among many other medications). She died a month later. How dare her park there when she was young and could afford a cool car in the days before her death. Yes, her attitude is the problem - not yours.

Edited by notentirelynormal

The problem we all have is that there is abuse in service dogs and handicap situation.

The abusers ruin it for the legit, there will always be abusers as long as there is something to be gained.

Easy fix, a national database of service dogs that can be confirmed.

I love dogs! But a "comfort" dog can be any dog on earth since nearly all dog owners will tell you that their dog brings them lots of love and comfort. As to the abuse of the "service dog" label, we think anyone who does this should be sentenced to live in a dog house for at least one year :). It is these abusers who make it harder for the many folks that have legitimate issues made better by having a real professional service dog.

On our many cruises we are aware of two blatant situations where passengers took advantage off the "service dog" rules to bring aboard their normal pets. One case was really bad (it was on RCI) where a lady had a small white dog that she moved around the ship in a baby carriage. She even brought the dog into the dining room in the baby carriage and the dog normally snuggled under blankets like an infant. This lady also had her sister on this same cruise with whom we became friendly. She told us that her sister has been taking her dog everywhere for several years and always falsely claims her dog is a service dog...which she was not! Her sister was not happy about the situation, but said it "is my sister" and there is nothing "I can do." I should add that this particular dog was one of the best behaved dogs we have ever seen :).

Hank

I own a dog grooming salon and I have learned that service pets come in many shapes and sizes, and that owners aren't always honest about their pet. We have a client who would bring his mini poodle info a groom--the dog would bite--and he would tell us not to tell anyone that his dog bits because he is certified by the state as a therapy dog and goes into hospitals to serve patients and that he would lose certification if they knew that he bit.

We have another certified therapy dog, a golden retriever, who is the absolute sweetest dog you could have.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

And people allergic to dog fur will have a hard time cruising now.

That's very true. I'm one of those people. Very allergic to dogs. I've always been comfortable cruising because I didn't have to worry about dogs being in the cabin. I always make sure that hotels I stay at have rooms set aside for people who do not have pets traveling with them.

A large telecom facility where I once worked allowed several people to train service dogs while they were working for the facility. Fortunately, the cubicles were very open. However, the conference rooms were not. I ended up wheezing because the trainers had a meeting together and all the dogs had been in the room together right before we had reserved the room. From then on I had to take allergy pills when I went to work. Service dogs are a real boon to those who need them. However, the rights of those who are allergic are severely discounted, even when wheezing and eyes running. I've always thought that my rights ended where others' began. But, that's just not true.

I'll be asking Princess if there have been dogs in the cabin before we sail again. Probably won't be able to get an answer. But, I will know when I'm in the cabin. The steward will suffer because I'll insist all the soft goods be changed and the carpets shampooed. Sigh.

People who are allergic to dogs can take simple OTC meds. If they have a problem with someone having a service dog with them (for whatever reason), it isn't that hard to stay away from them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm sorry, you're just plain wrong. I travel with multiple Epi-Pens because of my allergy to dogs. If I know ahead of time that I'll be exposed I can start taking allergy meds, four different ones. If I get surprised, that's a whole 'nother ballgame. How about having some compassion for those of us who are truly allergic? We have to stay home because we're allergic so the few with fake service dogs can cruise? I don't think so. True service dogs are wonderful. The fake ones. . .not so much. I will be more careful on Princess from now on.

My wife and I have been cruising since our honeymoon and she has been a member here for many years. She or I should say we have learned so much here and visit often. She reads my posts to me and one has hot a nerve with me. I own my company and am semi retired but still go to the office every day when we are home. We live in a port town so we can take last minute cruises.

We have sponsored numerous "puppies" who have become wonderful service dogs but have been thinking of becoming adopted parents for a puppy in training. I am not sure if I truly would be able to give him up after the year. We thought this would be a great opportunity to help someone in need. BUT after reading some of the posts on this thread, we aren't sure if we should. Would we be welcomed or would some people think we are fakes.

My wife would not let me post under her name and said I should start my own account so that is what I did and this is my first post. Not really sure why I am posting other than being very frustrated with people in general that feel they are entitled to things they did not earn or deserve. Be it from cutting in line, chair hogs, using other's handicapped permit or obtaining one fraudulently, or pretending their comfort dog is a service dog or drivers cutting you off in traffic. I truly am worried what this country is going to be like in 50 years. And don't get me started with the cell phone usage in public. Our last visit to the Crowne Grill consisted of at least one person at every table on the phone and more where the entire family was using them and I never witness any conversation throughout their meal.

We were on a long cruise recently and as always, seem to run into the same people all over the ship as well as in ports. We witness a man in a wheelchair with his poodle but what stuck us odd was that the woman he was with seemed to be holding the dog more. And around the pool, the dog was being passed around all the time. But what bothered us the most was that every time we saw them off the ship, the dog was never with him. This was the talk around the ship and others commented that they cruise often and the same thing went on. But what really made us shake our heads was when we went to Sabatinis for my brother's birthday with some other friends and saw this group there having a birthday party for the dog. My brother said "do not say anything to the waiter about my birthday". We had the same waiter and he was also shaking his head. He said "I have to be nice and happy about the situation but_____". We know many crew members after all the years and that dog was the lead conversation. I can imagine what was said in the crew lounge!!! And the dog wore a different outfit everyday.

Maybe I will post in the future about the misuse of wheelchairs at boarding.

Not sure what the answer is. Like handicapped parking permits, the police can NOT ask who owns it or why they have one. I see so many cars parked where someone is in the drivers seat and it is usually a man. So is it his permit and the wife runs in for something. I am afraid things are just going to get worse.

A couple of years ago while cruising there was a beautiful Lab on the elevator. He was "working" and his full attention was on his owner. It was so interesting to watch him. He knew what his job was and nothing seemed to distract him. He had his service jacket on and he acted more professional than some people I know. The fact that people would abuse such a valuable service is unbelievable to me. Entitlement is an interesting thing to observe. I'm constantly amazed how often it rears it's ugly head.

A couple of years ago while cruising there was a beautiful Lab on the elevator. He was "working" and his full attention was on his owner. It was so interesting to watch him. He knew what his job was and nothing seemed to distract him. He had his service jacket on and he acted more professional than some people I know. The fact that people would abuse such a valuable service is unbelievable to me. Entitlement is an interesting thing to observe. I'm constantly amazed how often it rears it's ugly head.

I observed the same on a transatlantic cruise. Well-trained. Knew his job. Fabulous. I'm all for the true service dogs. They are essential. Sorry that this is being perverted by people scamming the system. Unfortunately, this will drive more regulation that would not be needed if people behaved respectfully towards one another and weren't always looking for loopholes.

By its definition, cruises are about people. I would hope everyone would have some compassion.

Otherwise, I'd suggest you buy your own ship. You can them ban all the service animals you want. And pray that some day neither you nor your family needs one.

It seems many (most?) of the posters in this thread are convinced that any animal on a ship is there because the owner is selfish and scamming the system. So the answer is ban all dogs because all owners are frauds? That is the message I draw from this thread. In fact, it seems that some people believe all people everywhere are scamming all systems. There is no legitimate need for special services or privileges anywhere for anyone. That's how those posters come across in this thread.

Now for those poor folks with allergies, this thread makes it sound as if you can never cruise again because the ship is crawling with fraudulent service dogs and every inch of the ship is covered in dog hair. Again I ask: how widespread is the dog epidemic? In my years of cruising I have seen two (2) service dogs on ship. Is it just me?

So the answer is ban all dogs because all owners are frauds? That is the message I draw from this thread. In fact, it seems that some people believe all people everywhere are scamming all systems. There is no legitimate need for special services or privileges anywhere for anyone. That's how those posters come across in this thread.

I don't know how you can come to that conclusion by what is written on this board - as I have interpreted most of the posters as being completely supportive of the use of legitimate service dogs, running the gamut from toy poodles to labradors, on the ships. I think many have expressed frustration at those who have taken advantage of a huge loophole that allows those without any disability of any kind to label their dog a service dog.

I'm sorry, you're just plain wrong. I travel with multiple Epi-Pens because of my allergy to dogs. If I know ahead of time that I'll be exposed I can start taking allergy meds, four different ones. If I get surprised, that's a whole 'nother ballgame. How about having some compassion for those of us who are truly allergic? We have to stay home because we're allergic so the few with fake service dogs can cruise? I don't think so. True service dogs are wonderful. The fake ones. . .not so much. I will be more careful on Princess from now on.

Most of the pet friendly hotels designate certain rooms for pets, and other rooms that are designated pet free for those who suffer from allergies. Other hotels add on a pet charge that covers the complete cleaning of the room after check out. Perhaps Princess should look into designating certain cabins in each category for service animals, just as they do for the cabins for the disabled. I don't know if this would work, but it would be one way for passengers who suffer from severe allergies to be reassured.

Most of the pet friendly hotels designate certain rooms for pets, and other rooms that are designated pet free for those who suffer from allergies. Other hotels add on a pet charge that covers the complete cleaning of the room after check out. Perhaps Princess should look into designating certain cabins in each category for service animals, just as they do for the cabins for the disabled. I don't know if this would work, but it would be one way for passengers who suffer from severe allergies to be reassured.

Though - Service dogs can go into any hotel room at any hotel. It is illegal to charge someone with a Service dog a fee to clean the room after.

Seriously though - there are allergies to everything. There are people who are allergic to certain flowers - do we make flower free rooms? I am allergic to certain soaps and laundry detergents that are used in hotel rooms. As someone who deals with allergies, we deal with it.

(/QUOTE) A ship is a big place and I seriously doubt that except in cases of the worst allergies, people probably won't even know the dog is on board. I cruised one of Princess' seeing eye dog cruises...there were 40 dogs on board. I saw maybe two of them once each.

Agreed - I have been on cruises and later found out there had been service dogs, but I did not see them at all.

Edited by secretcastle

It seems many (most?) of the posters in this thread are convinced that any animal on a ship is there because the owner is selfish and scamming the system. So the answer is ban all dogs because all owners are frauds? That is the message I draw from this thread. In fact, it seems that some people believe all people everywhere are scamming all systems. There is no legitimate need for special services or privileges anywhere for anyone. That's how those posters come across in this thread.

Well, no, actually it is you exaggerating and making a straw man argument. Many passengers, in fact almost all commenting, have expressed compassion for those in need and support for those who need a service dog. However, there are enough fake "service dogs" and a lack of governmental regulation with teeth, so those who abuse the system have given others a bad name. You KNOW this, so you're attacking passengers for having the downright gall (in your eyes) to bring up the subject.

Best, I think, to express your rage against the abusers, who cause suspicion against those in genuine need.

Well, no, actually it is you exaggerating

Me? Exaggerate? No. :p:p:p

I guess I'll rephrase this. Is this really a widespread problem on Princess ships or is the point of this argument to question the motives of people with service dogs? Really, how many dogs are there on board any given ship? Is this such a serious problem that it will keep (some) people from cruising? Is it possible that someone somewhere (here) has exaggerated the extent of the fraudulent dog problem?

Service dogs are used for more than the blind. We have a large number of veterans with PTSD thanks to an illegal war in Iraq. VA has found that dogs can be used by these warriors to anticipate an attack and so many have them. Most of the time they are small dogs. The dogs are not as well trained as one for the blind and therefore will not act the same. They appear to simply be pets but serve a vital need for that person.

Medication doesn't work for everyone who has anxiety. If they are so affected that they need a legitimate service dog, then they shouldn't be barred from having one. As for hypoglycemia, you apparently don't know much about regulating diabetes, or you would realize that it isn't always easily done, and that acute hypoglycemia can be rapidly fatal if it's not found and treated quickly.

As for the poster who suggested that people who need service dogs should stay home if they can't go out without their dogs...how insulting. I hope you never need a service dog. Or will you just stay home forever if you do?

These. I find it a little presumptuous that people on this thread think they might be better diagnosticians than the doctors of those with service animals. I realize that not everyone likes or will tolerate dogs. But to deny someone who legitimately uses a dog to aid them with some sort of impairment is to deny them basic human rights and dignity...and is exactly why the ADA was created in the first place. What's that saying about not judging until you've walked in someone else's shoes? Best advice if you don't like dogs is to realize there may be one or two on your cruise ship and deal with it accordingly.

Edited by bdjam

That being said, I would not care to have a dog next to me longer than momentarily at dinner, or at a show, or in the tender. I am allergic, and frankly I don't like dogs, and you do not expect to find them on cruise ships. Especially when it's to keep trophy pet with you and avoid kennel fees (kennel? for Dear Dumpkins? Never!). That's probably unfair to the few who need such beasts. But I didn't make the situation.

Times are changing - you didn't used to expect to see jeans in the dining room or shorts after 6:00 p.m. As the intelligence that dogs posses becomes more understood, look for them to be used more in these roles...and expect them on cruise ships.

There was a time when you didn't expect to see 500 scooters on a cruise ship and personally, I've been run over by a few in crowded areas on board. Even so I don't deny their need or their necessity on board. It is a matter of understanding and tolerance.

Maybe the next class of Princess ships will be built more on the design of Noah's Arc!

Isn't that what they did with the design of Royal Princess?

Edited by bdjam