Music volume on your next cruise

ghstudio

What is your preference on music volume on your next cruise?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference on music volume on your next cruise?

• I enjoy loud music throughout the ship
    • I enjoy loud music in some areas (pool/marini bar/) but would like some areas with background music
    • I don't think that loud music is appropriate anywhere on the ship
    • The loudness of the music doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Hello Folks

It would appear that this poll indicates that the majority of people would prefer no loud music on their cruise. So what advice would you now give to Celebrity based on the results of this poll???

I know some of you have shares in the company, so consider this in your replies

Regards

John

Well, that's how I voted (i.e. no loud music) and I do own RCL shares; however, my selection was based on what is played during the day.

I enjoy a good evening deck party with a live (and probably loud) band (preferably Jamaican) at least once during the cruise.

Edited by Oceans&Rivers

Perhaps Celebrity is trying to bring in a younger crowd, more like Carnival....now wouldn't that just be lovely

Perhaps, at 60 we enjoy sailing with others that are more lively. In 25+ years of cruising we have yet to set foot on a Carnival ship. Our first X sailing was in 1994 at 40 and we have stayed. Maybe they are truly on to something here.

Edited by wallie5446

Upon reflection (truly dreadful pun unintended), it occurs to me that on my cruise last week, the quietest venues were the most sparsely subscribed. Draw your own conclusion to the result and relevance of this poll. I know I will. And I know, thankfully, Celebrity will too.

I define "loud" as when the sound level causes physical pain in my ears and I find it necessary to use ear plugs. I always bring ear plugs to the Celebrity Theater just in case. I don't stay away from the venue because sometimes the volumes are tolerable and I never know ahead of time which show I will like. On occasion, I have walked out of a show if both the sound was too loud AND the music was not to my liking.

I always wondered if the sound engineers boost the volume to their liking because they have already suffered partial deafness from the excessive decibels they play and listen to. So, after two production shows with excessive noise levels on a recent cruise, prior to the third show I spoke to the sound engineer whose booth was close to where we were sitting. I mentioned my concern about the ear splitting levels. He said he agreed with me, but he was under direction from the production company to keep the decibels at prescribed levels. Nevertheless, he said he would try to manage the levels better and I did not need my earplugs for that show.

Edited by emileg

So far 85 people have voted for this:

"I don't think that loud music is appropriate anywhere on the ship."

Really??? You mean while you are enjoying a part of the ship which is quiet or where soft music is playing, I shouldn't be able to party it up with loud music somewhere else? Do you honestly not consider this to be an astonishingly selfish attitude? It's a ship, not a place of worship.

I find it interesting also. I'm with the 30% or slightly less that think there is a time and place for both. A live performance by nature is going to be fairly loud.

I like to listen to music from 85 to 100 db. I don't like loud music at dinner. I do find loud announcements obnoxious. That was one of my biggest dislikes on our recent Royal Caribbean cruise.

Anything other than music I don't want to hear loud.

Upon reflection (truly dreadful pun unintended), it occurs to me that on my cruise last week, the quietest venues were the most sparsely subscribed. Draw your own conclusion to the result and relevance of this poll. I know I will. And I know, thankfully, Celebrity will too.

Obviously after the cruise before yours where the music was extremely loud and the passengers complained, they turned it down a little. I understand this was your first Celebrity cruise. FYI, most of the time the levels have been fine including some fairly loud music in places like the Martini Bar and open public areas. Recently there have been some cruises with extremely loud music and that's where the problem lies.

Not that it matters but we've spent about 600 days on Celebrity ships and have seen and heard it all and when you get one of these cruises where the volume is out of control, it's not really enjoyable. Nothing wrong with some loud music in appropriate places but there's a difference between loud and obnoxious.

I voted for "some areas", but I would only want it in a dance club or when the party band is playing for dancing. Otherwise, even at the martini bar or at the pool, I would like to be able to have a conversation with the person I'm with.

I think Warmwinds is 100% right! This is not the cruise experience we signed up for.

How can a line that prides itself on creating an upscale, luxury environment with few announcements then do the absolute opposite and inflict music at ridiculous levels in common areas such as the pool and the central lobby ? :confused:

I like to listen to music from 85 to 100 db. d.

Hi

At 85db and above you are damaging your hearing , the longer you are exposed to that level the more damage is being done and it is permanent it does not recover.

Given this I place "Loud" at 85db and over.

So using this my vote was that loud music has no place on a cruise ship

Thats NOT to say that music may not be enjoyed on a cruise ship.

My advice to Celebrity on this issue would be that they act now to ensure that they are not damaging their customers or their staff's hearing. They cannot say that they were not aware of the issue. If I was a shareholder I would be insisting on this , the legal cost if someone was to law on this and they lost could be very great

Best Regards

John

Otherwise, even at the martini bar or at the pool, I would like to be able to have a conversation with the person I'm with.

Perhaps Celebrity's concept of "Modern Luxury" includes everyone TEXTING the person next to them, instead of SPEAKING. :eek: :D :rolleyes:

Perhaps Celebrity's concept of "Modern Luxury" includes everyone TEXTING the person next to them, instead of SPEAKING. :eek: :D :rolleyes:

I generally call that "text whispering," though in this case, one might want to call it "text shouting.";)

I think Warmwinds is 100% right! This is not the cruise experience we signed up for.

How can a line that prides itself on creating an upscale, luxury environment with few announcements then do the absolute opposite and inflict music at ridiculous levels in common areas such as the pool and the central lobby ? :confused:

What about those that felt it was exactly what they signed up for? After 25 years of cruising, and 20 years on Celebrity, our Nov sailing on the Reflection was as close to a 10 as they get. 10 families have already sailed Celebrity again, 4 of us so enjoyed our Roll Call group we are booked together again in Nov. There will never be a cruise where 100 % have the same experience! ever! So what % does a for profit Corporation cater to? We both know the answer.

I didn't vote for any of your choices. If I had to vote it would have been: I enjoy loud music in some places, like where the party band plays dance music, but enjoy softer music or background music in the lounges, atrium and dining areas at other times.

You're closest selection included loud music by the martini bar and pool. I don't like loud music by the martini bar at all since it destroys any chance at good conversation. I like semi-loud music at the pool when the party band or other appropriate live entertainer is playing but wouldn't want loud DJ or loud recorded music there.

I am in agreement with this. Loud music in the disco is good. If I want to dance, I want to hear the music. But the Martini bar is not one of the places I want loud music.

Hi all,

We want to ensure that everyone is enjoying the music on our ship, and we never want to have music that is too loud, or too low. We have looked into the issue, and we will make sure that the volume is corrected on all of our ships. This process may take a few days, but rest assured we have passed on your feedback and want to provide the best cruising experience for all of our guests.

Hi all,

We want to ensure that everyone is enjoying the music on our ship, and we never want to have music that is too loud, or too low. We have looked into the issue, and we will make sure that the volume is corrected on all of our ships. This process may take a few days, but rest assured we have passed on your feedback and want to provide the best cruising experience for all of our guests.

Thank you!

Hi all,

Thank you for listening to both sides of the issue.

Just got off the Constellation, I agree in most venues the music was too loud, at the pool, in the theater and in Michael's club 'Adult Day Care'. I actually wore earplugs when I knew I was going to any of those venues, without them- it was painful...

you miss the point completely if celebrity does not see empty venues on ship when loud music is played they will not changed. If those that don't like it just endure and complain nothing will change. :mad: I choose to go to my cabin to listen to the kind of music I like as most areas of ship do not. I would always prefer no music at all than elevator music. Acid rock is as objectionable as opera. Neither do I want to have so loud I cant get away from It. I do not cruise for the Music being played on the ship. :(

Opera may be objectionable to you but not everyone! We always upload operas to our Kindle and listen to them in the cabin, whenever we are there. We try to avoid all the very loud music around the ship. Just as long as they play some decent modulated music in the Restaurants we are happy campers.

I agree with your last sentence. No one in their right mind cruises for the music provided by the Cruise Line.

"Loud music " is great for the disco, nightclub, dance club or party nights on the open deck....that is where it belongs.....obviously! In the atrium is is too overpowering...

one area where music is too loud not often mentioned is in the theatre-- volume is often so high that we and many others must leave early...way too high a decibel level..wonder if they really do sound checks.

aside from what is described as loud music, the issue is also selection and content...the stuff previously played on the endless loop throughout the ship is terrible and rap music with anti women lyrics should also be left at the pier!

Hi all,

sorry be be suspicious bit this does not look very Official to me????

sorry be be suspicious bit this does not look very Official to me????

This screen name? They have posted before several times. Not saying

they do or don't work for Celebrity because I don't know. It is a public

message board so of course it could be anyone saying it. But it could

be someone working for Celebrity as well......so I guess it just depends

on which side of the coin you want to look at....