Quantum, Cape Liberty update

I don't know who told you that but unless I'm wrong (anyone feel free to correct me) there is no way you will be boarding on deck 9. Most ships board on deck one or there about.

Deck 1 is the crew deck although on occasions used for passengers (mostly physically challenged) boarding is usually done on deck 4 or 5.

I was at the inaugural of the Bayonne terminal and the first ship to sail out, Nordic Empress renamed to Empress of the Seas.

At that get together we were given an artist conception of what RCCL had planned for the pier. It looked nothing like the current plan. Original plan was for stores, hotel/motel, and all kind of things.

One of the major issues was dredging the bay at the terminal. This would have moved the ship right up to the current temporary terminal. It was held up for years by environment groups.

Thanks for the reply.

for the others, any ship departing from Bayonne without a proper terminal, will board at deck 1. Most terminals with gangways, load on deck 5 , or whatever deck the outside promenade is located , and the terminal will have facilities to get you up there, elevators, escalators, whatever.

whoops, don't forget the ramps.

Its been a while, but that is what I seem to remember. I wonder if Royal has taken that into consideration for the ship design, knowing it will be home ported here. I figure they could make the area look a little nicer since it is the first thing people are going to see when they get on the ship

Hello all,

Never used Port Liberty before, will be driving in that morning. Any tips? Do you have to reserve / pre-pay , or how does it work?

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

If you are driving, there is a parking lot there, Not sure if you prepay or pay when you arrive there, but you might have to reserve. You might want to drop off passengers and luggage then park car and walk back. Also if you are driving up and staying overnight before the cruise, there are some hotel/motels that let you park your car there while on the cruise if you book a room. They could also transport you to port but a fee might be charges but it might be less then the fee at the parking lot.

I hope you have already signed up for the connection party?

Madelyn

ok would love some help with the parking aspect for the cruise. we are cruising in March of 2015 and not sure if the new port/parking will be done or not so, my question is this...where is the Best place to park for the money as it will be approximately 5 different vehicles going to park hopefully in a group and mine and my husbands van is handicap accessible? Any help would be very much appreciated. Cindy :)

ok would love some help with the parking aspect for the cruise. we are cruising in March of 2015 and not sure if the new port/parking will be done or not so, my question is this...where is the Best place to park for the money as it will be approximately 5 different vehicles going to park hopefully in a group and mine and my husbands van is handicap accessible? Any help would be very much appreciated. Cindy :)

Hi Cindy,

If you are staying over night before the cruise there is the Marriott at Newark Airport and if it has not changed, they let you park your car there while cruising. Need to pay for transportation to and from port, but it might be less expensive then parking at the pier. Check with the Marriott. But parking at the pier is convenient after you return. You might want to drop off passengers and luggage first then walk back when you find a place to park, might be a shuttle, if new parking garage in not completed yet. You could also price park and lock/fly/cruise at Newark Airport, and compare the cost to transport to pier. There also might be a closer park & lock near the port in Bayonne. Make sure it is a fenced and secure lot.

There is also a lot of construction in the area that will be lasting at least two years, so allow for extra time.

Hi Cindy,

If you are staying over night before the cruise there is the Marriott at Newark Airport and if it has not changed, they let you park your car there while cruising. Need to pay for transportation to and from port, but it might be less expensive then parking at the pier. Check with the Marriott. But parking at the pier is convenient after you return. You might want to drop off passengers and luggage first then walk back when you find a place to park, might be a shuttle, if new parking garage in not completed yet. You could also price park and lock/fly/cruise at Newark Airport, and compare the cost to transport to pier. There also might be a closer park & lock near the port in Bayonne. Make sure it is a fenced and secure lot.

There is also a lot of construction in the area that will be lasting at least two years, so allow for extra time.

thank you i appreciate it. as we are just gonna drive from Massachusetts so there will be no need for hotels, etc but again i thank you for info. i just want to make sure our vehicles are gonna be ok .

Bayonne is a different type of port in that it's very industrialized. Unlike Florida ports where there are several different places to park, Bayonne really only has one reliable parking lot and it's at the port. If you compare it to NYC parking, it's cheap. Compare it to anywhere else, it's expensive. $19 per day/per car.

You might want to check out Snap Parking at Newark Airport. We're driving down from CT for our 12 night and almost used them, but instead are opting to spend the night at the Hampton Inn for $103 a night with free parking for 12 nights and free shuttle.

Edited by hitaway4

Please visit the "East Coast Departure" board here on CC. There is a lot of discussion and suggestions for parking at Cape Liberty.

Guest maddycat

As mentioned, parking at the port is $19 a day. A real bargain compaired to NYC which is now $40 a day. You do not need a reservation. You pay as you enter the lot. They accept credit cards.

We always drop off our luggage first and then park our car. It's a very short walk from the lot to the terminal.

We're really looking forward to the new terminal/parking garage. The shuttle from the terminal to the ship is a little inconvenient, but really not a big deal. Still, we'd prefer not to have to board a shuttle at all.

Thank you for the update! We are going to be on the Explorer of the Seas in April 19 of this year. I do agree that getting rid of the shuttle will reduce hassle and pressure under the passengers. Do you know when the Captain will be going to the Independence and will he be there during my sailing? Thank you!

Your captain will be the charming James MacDonald.

:)

Deck 1 is the crew deck although on occasions used for passengers (mostly physically challenged) boarding is usually done on deck 4 or 5.

At Cape Liberty, all initial embarkation is on Deck 1. Deck 4 is only used in ports.

This is because you board the ship at ground level after exiting the shuttle bus. No ramps or "jet ways" from terminal to ship.

At Cape Liberty, all initial embarkation is on Deck 1. Deck 4 is only used in ports.

This is because you board the ship at ground level after exiting the shuttle bus. No ramps or "jet ways" from terminal to ship.

This will likely change after the new terminal is built. You'll board just like you do at any other port.

Thanks for posting the pictures. Nice to see some progress. Shame it sounds like it won't be ready for the first sailings. Who knows though, maybe we'll get a drought and Royal will pay extra to get them working night shifts to finish on time. Not often projects finish a head of schedule but it can happen if the weather cooperates and the company is willing to pay for it.

Well at least the new terminal at PC should be ready when Quantum makes her first visit!

I wouldn't count on that either. I was just in Port Canaveral last month and their new terminal project is also behind schedule. Although Port Canaveral is farther along than Cape Liberty they are also having a few issues that has set them behind. The port authority folks at Port Canaveral are hoping to have the new terminal open by October/November time frame.....The locals tend to think it will be done by Jan. 2015.

Edited by Eng23

Yeah, we're figuring that it won't be ready for 1/3/15, so we're staying nearby and availing ourselves of the free shuttle provided;). Can't imagine the mess it is going to be (remembers how bad it was in 2011 with people lined up just to get to the terminal area - those arriving and those coming to pick up departees all in the same line:eek:)

Bit off track, but do we know when Quantum's summer 2015 itineraries will be released? Thanks :).

Quantum will be sailing the summer of 2015 in China. Quantum goes to China year round in May 2015.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Quantum will be sailing the summer of 2015 in China. Quantum goes to China year round in May 2015.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Cool might mean we will have the newer Anthem of the Seas here in Jersey! :)

Jimbo:)